Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ?

+3
cookingirl
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 10]

26MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 04, 2017 6:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The last pastry cream I made was awful.....I tasted it after it cooled and it was terrible. I tossed the whole bunch.

27MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beth, that is what I did with the first batch. It tasted like slightly sweetened eggs and was grainy. The grainy was my fault - I followed the directions knowing that this isn't the way you do it but what do i know? It went down the sink. The second batch wasn't creamy enough. The third batch is creamy but only time will tell if it is thick enough. I think I have gone through a dozen eggs.

28MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 04, 2017 8:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We're in Charleston, SC for Dane's Army ~ 101st Airborne ~ reunion.  Today we went out to lunch at a place downtown called Hyman's Seafood.  

First came a complimentary dish of boiled peanuts.  It's been years since I have tried them so I figured, what the heck!  Actually, these tasted much like Asian edamame, which I like a lot.  Then a house made coleslaw with some pickle relish and celery seed.  Dane had the 'fish & chips', haddock and steak fries and I had one of their signature dishes.....whole fried flounder.  The flounder was HUGE, still plenty of fish left when I got done.  I got mine with a side of collard greens (I am in the South after all....).  They served the fish with a choice of sauces, apricot (with a bit of heat at the back of your throat), tartar sauce and cocktail sauce.  They also had a spicy mayo mix.  All were good ~ I ended up mixing the spicy mayo and the apricot for my own special blend.  I sure hope there are no plans for supper.....

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 IMG_20170504_144245847_HDR

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 IMG_20170504_144740426

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 IMG_20170504_150017377_HDR

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 IMG_20170504_150027984

I just could't finish it all.....

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 IMG_20170504_151745584
Yikes... That crispy fish that Dane had surely looks great!
Beth, that's one big fish there on your plate! What did they catch that with? A harpoon?

29MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 04, 2017 8:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Beth, that is what I did with the first batch. It tasted like slightly sweetened eggs and was grainy. The grainy was my fault - I followed the directions knowing that this isn't the way you do it but what do i know? It went down the sink. The second batch wasn't creamy enough. The third batch is creamy but only time will tell if it is thick enough. I think I have gone through a dozen eggs.

This makes a good Boston cream and no eggy smell.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/boston-cream-pie-92009.aspx

30MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 04, 2017 11:07 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Jimmy!

31MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Fri May 05, 2017 10:41 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:That is the way I like to eat bread. Joe always says "Having a little bread with your butter"? It grosses him out, but I love it. If the butter was melted it would be no problem, he just doesn't like thick slabs of solid butter.

I'm just like, Joe, Debbie! My father used to put a big cold slab of butter on a cinnamon roll! It used to kind of gross me out, too, especially in the early morning. I remember my paternal grandmother visiting us and when I saw her do the same thing, I had to laugh as I knew where he'd gotten it from.

Don't get me wrong, as I adore butter. Just not, like you say, those thick slabs of cold solid butter on something!

32MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Fri May 05, 2017 11:14 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:We're in Charleston, SC for Dane's Army ~ 101st Airborne ~ reunion.  Today we went out to lunch at a place downtown called Hyman's Seafood.  

I'd told Brian yesterday you were going to Dane's army reunion.  We're sitting in bed having coffee and I just told him Dane was in the 101st Airborne and he was suitably impressed!  He said, "Wow, what a tough bunch of "guys" they were," except I used "guys" to replace the two-word term he used!  He said the Army Rangers evolved out of the 101st Airborne and he was pretty sure the Green Berets did as well.  Please pass on to Dane how wowed my husband was over the group of men he served with and was a part of.  I was suitably impressed as Brian doesn't throw away compliments on just anyone!  And like I said yesterday, thank him for his service to our country.  I'm very proud to be married to a Vietnam vet as well.  

As I've mentioned before, both of my parents were WWII vets (my mom was in the Army Nurse Corps) and Brian was the only other veteran in our family -- my mom always brought that up and she truly adored Brian.  She told me several years before she died that I'd made the "best marriage" of her three kids -- something that still brings tears to my eyes today.  She'd be so impressed and proud of the way he looks after me today, too, now that I've got physical problems.  After she got ill, no longer lived at home and spent every other weekend at our house, Brian was so very kind to her -- he treated her just like he always did even though she had cognitive problems.  And without fail, every day when we came downstairs after I put a bit of makeup on her and got her dressed, he said something like, "You sure look pretty today, Mrs. Bass!"  You could tell by her reaction how much she was flattered, too, when he said it.  She loved her weekends here (and the occasional stays of a week with her sitter when the others who had Mom fulltime needed a break).  I just knew when she finally passed away how few regrets I'd have about how we cared for her -- and I'm still proud today that we were able to make her feel so special all the time.

Re food, I adore flounder.  Used to be served here all the time in restaurants when I was a kid.  They always seemed to be huge, which yours was too. Yummy! Dane's crispy haddock looks really super, too. I don't think I've ever had haddock but heard it was a wonderful fish. Like you, I love greens, too -- collard greens are one of my favorite greens.  Bet they were delicious as they, like down here, know how to cook 'em to their best!

Last edited by Crybaby on Fri May 05, 2017 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

33MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Fri May 05, 2017 11:18 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm, the picture of your meatloaf and fingerling potatoes is truly magazine-worthy! Brian would pass out with delight if he was presented with that beauty, as he adores meatloaf. It was one of my father's favorites as well.

You sure make a pretty one!

34MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Fri May 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Beth, that is what I did with the first batch. It tasted like slightly sweetened eggs and was grainy. The grainy was my fault - I followed the directions knowing that this isn't the way you do it but what do i know? It went down the sink. The second batch wasn't creamy enough. The third batch is creamy but only time will tell if it is thick enough. I think I have gone through a dozen eggs.

Debbie, though I haven't made this, here's a recipe that was highly rated on allrecipes.com.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/76043/pastry-cream/print/?recipeType=Recipe&servings=8&isMetric=false

I've found a lot of really good recipes by simply googling "best recipe for ..." and then reading the reviews. I've found that you can usually tell the level of cooking experience someone has by the way they word their reviews (352 reviews of this pastry cream averaged out to 4.5 stars). I posted the above link after I used the "printer" icon so if you want to read the reviews after the recipe, see the link below:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/76043/pastry-cream/

One five-star review seemed perfect for you: "I used this recipe for my first attempt at making pastry cream for a Boston cream pie. It was easy and perfect! Note: Med/Lo heat and constant stirring with a whisk for any cream recipe is a must to avoid lumps. I usually pull up a stool to the stove and turn on the radio Smile"

Brian said recently he adored Boston Cream Pie so I'm kind of interested in putting together a good recipe for one I can make him!

35MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Fri May 05, 2017 2:49 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thank you!

36MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Fri May 05, 2017 4:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We got up and had coffee and a bit of breakfast in the hotel restaurant (buffet breakfast is included w/room rate). Then we headed downtown to do a bit of sightseeing. I love looking at all the old houses and imagine what it must have been like in the 1800's. We ended up taking a carriage ride with a nice young man as our tour guide.

Then, on to lunch. We walked to 'Husk' (you'll have to google it as it's a James Beard rated place) ~ unfortunately, without reservations they were filled with their quota of walk-ins for lunch. I was really hoping to eat there ~ saw their on-line menu and they've been featuring 'pig's ear lettuce wraps', what a treat that would have been!

So, we walked back down by the City Market and ended up at Low Country Bistro. Dane and I each decided on a Bloody Mary, which, although pricey, actually included quite an array of appetizers to go with our drink....olives, pickled okra and a grilled shrimp. Heck, it was almost enough for lunch! LOL He got a Bistro Cuban and I decided on the Shrimp & Crawfish Etoffee (sp?) on Carolina Red Rice. Both were excellent!

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 IMG_20170505_135731387

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 IMG_20170505_141117553_HDR

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 IMG_20170505_141133311

37MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Fri May 05, 2017 4:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle, tell Brian, "Thank you" for us. Dane might have been a nasty S.O.B. 48 years ago in Viet Nam but now he's just an old guy happy to be around to play golf 3 or 4 days a week. He served his time up on the DMZ as a helicopter crew chief (mechanic) and part-time door gunner when they went on missions. His best memory is when he got to fly the Cobra helicopter he maintained. He would have loved flying on a more regular basis but I don't think the Army gave him permission....

38MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Fri May 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Michelle, tell Brian, "Thank you" for us.  Dane might have been a nasty S.O.B. 48 years ago in Viet Nam but now he's just an old guy happy to be around to play golf 3 or 4 days a week.  He served his time up on the DMZ as a helicopter crew chief (mechanic) and part-time door gunner when they went on missions.  His best memory is when he got to fly the Cobra helicopter he maintained.  He would have loved flying on a more regular basis but I don't think the Army gave him permission....

I used to date a man who was also a crew chief in Vietnam. He had link of metal chain permanently attached to his wrist as a bracelet; it looked like a combination of links but I think, if I remember right, it was from a Huey helicopter (not sure if I got that right, as it was a LOOONNNNNGGG time ago). That was the kind he worked on.

Yikes, a door gunner?! That's a freaking mega dangerous job -- right out there in that bubble! He's lucky, like everyone who came home, to be an "old guy" today, as so many never got to come home. I've always wanted to see the Vietnam Memorial Wall; they had a travelling smaller version of it that was nearby us several years ago but Brian said he wasn't up to seeing it. So I respected his wishes and I didn't go either.

How neat Dane got to fly that Cobra! Brian was an MP, probably due to his size. He doesn't talk about it much but sometimes he tells me a funny story and other times it's pretty sad -- he said at one point, he could no longer picture the faces of his family back home. At the time he thought it was a sure sign he wasn't coming home! His sister once told me that no one expected Brian to come home; at first I was shocked but then she said, "You know how clumsy he is and how goofy he can be when he's clowning around? Can't you just picture him over there, Michelle?" I'm just so glad I didn't know him then; I didn't meet Brian until he was 30 and I was 23. He always makes me laugh, being from right outside Cape Cod, by telling me he had to come 1200 miles to find me!

You guys have fun, Beth, and be careful on the drive home!

P.S. That Bloody Mary looked fantastic!

39MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Fri May 05, 2017 6:37 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

When I hear about Vietnam, I thank God that Joe had a bad knee. He was number 2 in the draft.

40MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 06, 2017 8:35 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:When I hear about Vietnam, I thank God that Joe had a bad knee. He was number 2 in the draft.

Yikes! Number 2! I'm glad he had a bad knee, too, Debbie. I can only imagine how someone would feel when he pulled number 2 in the lottery! I just checked and I would've gotten number 63, not too good either. I think Brian was already back after having served when they instituted the lottery, but his number would've been 247.

Want to see what your number would've been? Or your sons'? Here's the link:

http://www.historynet.com/whats-your-number.htm

41MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 06, 2017 9:43 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:When I hear about Vietnam, I thank God that Joe had a bad knee. He was number 2 in the draft.

Yikes! Number 2! I'm glad he had a bad knee, too, Debbie. I can only imagine how someone would feel when he pulled number 2 in the lottery! I just checked and I would've gotten number 63, not too good either. I think Brian was already back after having served when they instituted the lottery, but his number would've been 247.

Want to see what your number would've been? Or your sons'? Here's the link:

OMG....what a cool site!

I checked Dane's number (Feb. 13) and he had 152.

Then I checked MY number (July 22) and as fate would have it.....I would have been 153!

Too funny.

42MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 06, 2017 11:43 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I looked up Joe's date and it wasn't number 2 and I know it was number 2. It was listed in the newspaper and he got his letter before he even graduated high school. There were 6 kids in his family and his father died when he was 9 so his mom didn't want to lose any more. She was ready to ship him off to Canada. He went for his physical, made grinding noises with his knee and was out. When he handed in his papers to the soldier on the way out, he told the man "F-you, I'm out". Vietnam was such a senseless war.

Maybe the chart was different for 1971 or 1972.

43MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 06, 2017 12:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I joined the Navy in 62 after school, and failed the medical with High Blood Pressure.
They told me to see a Dr. and I did. The Dr said, "go back to the navy, and take two of these pills.
I did, and I passed. The problem was though, that I had high Blood pressure while I served.
Once I was in, they could care less. All I knew, was I had a headache every day, and never complained.

44MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 06, 2017 7:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Liam says Hi in a new month of May.
He's all ready to go fishing with his pops! Check out the neat fishing hat. lol!

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Mg12zT

45MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 06, 2017 7:24 pm

NormM

NormM

I got drafted before there was a number system. I would have been about half way down the list if I had been younger. Charlie took a long weekend to go to Colorado with friends from work. He might be back tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

I made some apple sourdough bread rolls today but all I did with the one I ate was to make it into a hamburger bun.

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 20170511
MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 20170512

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

46MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

You certainly are creative Norm.

Burgers for us tonight.

I found the pastry cream hack that I tried today. Twern't half bad.

I small box instant Jello vanilla or French vanilla pudding mix
1 cup half n' half
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 c powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Using a whisk, beat together the pudding mix and half n' half for 2 minutes.
Beat whipping cream, sugar, vanilla with a mixer till soft (or firmer) peaks are formed.
Fold both together and fill your cake.

It comes out like that thick, fluffy filling that you would find in something commercially made. Too easy. You can also choose any flavor you want.

47MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 06, 2017 11:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina ventured to Sam's Club this morning, and picked up these fresh made cannoni stuffed with ricotta and spinach filling. Nothing to write home about.

Cupcakes for dessert.

48MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sun May 07, 2017 5:18 pm

NormM

NormM

I had an early supper today. The recipe said it was Greek. It's called Beef Stifado. I served it with an Asian brown rice.MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 20170513

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

49MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sun May 07, 2017 8:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made a little batch of city chicken for the DIL's birthday dinner today. The skewers with the blue tips ( food coloring ) are for Lenny. His are pork only. He won't eat Veal.
The others are Pork / Veal. There were 8 of us.

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 GzHgZw

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 U3Ew6J

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 0LU0FL

50MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Mon May 08, 2017 12:52 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

Yikes!  Number 2!  I'm glad he had a bad knee, too, Debbie.  I can only imagine how someone would feel when he pulled number 2 in the lottery! I just checked and I would've gotten number 63, not too good either.  I think Brian was already back after having served when they instituted the lottery, but his number would've been 247.

Want to see what your number would've been?  Or your sons'?  Here's the link:

OMG....what a cool site!

I checked Dane's number (Feb. 13) and he had 152.

Then I checked MY number (July 22) and as fate would have it.....I would have been 153! Too funny.  

Must be a sign that you were meant to be together, Beth!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum