Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ?

+3
cookingirl
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

126MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 17, 2017 6:19 pm

NormM

NormM

Oh, the measuring cups I mentioned are for liquid. I have two sets of dry measure cups. Some of the extra stuff came about due to more than one cook in the kitchen at times. Now there is only one. Maybe 1 1/4.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

127MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 17, 2017 6:19 pm

NormM

NormM

Oh, the measuring cups I mentioned are for liquid. I have two sets of dry measure cups. Some of the extra stuff came about due to more than one cook in the kitchen at times.  Now there is only one. Maybe 1 1/4.

128MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 17, 2017 7:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know I said I was going to be eating leftovers.....but I just couldn't face them again.

So, I took advantage of being home alone and made something for my supper that 'he' won't eat....too many calories. Personally, I 'don't give a damn, my dear' !

Potato salad! Nothing else....just a salad plate full of freshly made potato salad. It's all I wanted so that's what I had.

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 IMG_20170517_172612080

129MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 17, 2017 7:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight's supper, and this is what is left over.
Check out my fancy wine glass.
Now, these leftover steaks will be eaten now and then; whenever snacktime calls. I'm sorry, I forgot to mention, these were cubed steaks.

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 KcnB4I

130MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 17, 2017 7:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Love your fried steaks, Jimmy. I can just picture you walking past the counter every 15 minutes or so and picking one up ~ until there are only 3 left and you just stand there and finish 'em off! LOL

131MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 17, 2017 9:08 pm

NormM

NormM

I had left over stir fry vegetables with a small hamburger.

132MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 17, 2017 9:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Love your fried steaks, Jimmy.  I can just picture you walking past the counter every 15 minutes or so and picking one up ~ until there are only 3 left and you just stand there and finish 'em off!   LOL
The scene will commence, exactly as you wrote it here!
The great thing here, is I re-sliced the cubed steaks, and pounded them out thinner; which made them so much more tender!  

133MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 3:43 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Garlic... We cook with just a smidgen. Tina reeks for like 3 days whilst the odor comes out of her pores.  Cooked garlic, not so much, or hardly at all, but raw, forget it!
The smaller the head and cloves, the more potent the garlic flavor.
The elephant size garlic is actually the less pungent, and is actually in the onion family.

When I flavor with garlic, I use just a little finely grated on my micro plane . I like garlic flavor, but at my older age, It just gasses me up, and my stomach burps all day.

134MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 9:48 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gee, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one in the world who had trouble with garlic.....

135MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 10:39 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I love garlic in moderation but I taste it for hours afterwards which is not pleasant.

I made tequila lime shrimp salad last night. A new recipe. Joe and Katie loved it. I also served it with a bottle of premixed margaritas that I got at Costco. Tasty but Joe and Katie were three sheets to the wind.

136MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 10:57 am

NormM

NormM

I remember once when Charlie's mom ate some raw wild garlic and I didn't want to get close to her for the rest of the day.

137MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 12:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Gee, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one in the world who had trouble with garlic.....

A funny thing, is I used to eat it like candy when I was young.
And we all had stinky breath. LOL And nobody cared, because we all ate it!

Another thing is, we ate onions, all kinds; all ways, but we never had problems with that! Go figure??

138MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 12:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina hinted on Shepherds Pie, for supper tonight ! / ? I don't know?

139MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I once had to make a delivery to a real estate office that was in an Asian part of town so everyone who worked in the office was Asian. That place had no ventilation. I walked in and almost passed out. Talk about garlic! What I did instead was get the dry heaves LOL. I just put the package down and ran and continued my heaves out in the parking lot. When I got back to work my boss asked if I smelled the garlic with a big grin on her face. She could have warned me.

140MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 2:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was the last day I had to use the peaches I bought at the orchard. Dane took a dozen of them to Ohio with him because DD#2 asked her dad to bring her some. I would have told her 'NO'....but I'm the mean one so she still asks her dad for stuff she wants.....LOL

But since I fly out tomorrow I knew, even though I would have preferred letting the peaches ripen up just one more day, that today had to be pie baking day. No way was I going to waste those beautiful and tasty peaches! I ended up with 24 peaches left out of the 1/4 bushel (peck) basket I bought. I didn't want to make large pies, and, of course, all my pyrex pie plates are 10" so I bought some smaller size foil pie pans. BIG MISTAKE! They are just too thin and don't support a heavy fruit pie when you try to move it. What I need to do is start going to tag/garage sales and try to pick up the old 8" pie plates. I looked at WalMart and they only had the 10" like I already have. I'll have to remember to look at Bed, Bath & Beyond next time I'm there.

I had enough fruit for 2 1/2 peach pies. No way was I going to waste any so I turned one pie into a peach / blueberry pie with a crumble topping. I've made it before and it's an interesting combination you wouldn't necessarily think of turning into a pie.

Here it is:

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 IMG_20170518_131157043_HDR

My two peach pies will get cooled completely and then wrapped and frozen. I'll bet Mr. Amazing doesn't turn down a slice when I offer it!

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 IMG_20170518_131214412

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 IMG_20170518_131204215

I also had those strawberries I bought at the Asian Market in Atlanta that didn't get eaten and will go to waste if I don't use them.....so I cut them up and turned them into some refrigerator jam.

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 IMG_20170518_134006888

141MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 7:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Peach Berry pie looks great.
My mom had those heavy metal pie pans with the star shape holes in the bottom. They made great pies! We had them for a while after mom died, but then threw them out after buying the anchor glass pans.

142MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 7:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Here is my little apple pie for tonight! Walmart has these in their bakery dept, all stacked up in the center of the aisle! Haven't had a bad one yet. I like the cherry, and apple.

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 C6MVkQ

143MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 7:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Idiot ME....when I looked in the cabinet for a pie pan to put half the blueberry/peach pie in (I was giving half to Tommy and Joann next door....) I found two metal 8" pie pans that I did buy at a garage sale. Boy, a mind is a terrible thing to lose!

I had stuff for a salad but decided I wanted a fried chicken salad - Ala Applebee's. So, I got in my golf cart and went through the drive through at KFC and got a small order of crispy chicken strips. Cheap addition and was just what I wanted!

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 IMG_20170518_171845802

144MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 9:53 pm

NormM

NormM

I tried a Marcus Samulesson recipe for steamed salmon with fennel and citrus.MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 20170517

145MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 10:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I tried a Marcus Samulesson recipe for steamed salmon with fennel and citrus.MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 20170517

Looks good Norm. I see m u s c l e s there! Yum!!
Now I know what I want for supper tomorrow! I have muscles in the freezer.

146MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 10:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight, I finished the chicken soup. Well, my portion anyway. I'm done with the soup now!
I have my Walmart Apple pie for dessert.

147MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 10:50 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I try to eat leftovers but Charlie seldom does.  I usually end up tossing left overs out.

Norm, I hate when we forget about some leftovers in the fridge (it's always way too crowded in there!) and have to throw something out.  For the most part, we usually have leftovers a second night and often a third, depending on how much we've made.  Brian's appetite isn't very good lately due to radioactive injections he's been getting so we've been cutting back on how much we cook.  It's funny though, as sometimes when he can't finish a very small portion of dinner, he still always has room for a HUGE bowl of ice cream.  He's lost so much weight that I figure at least he's getting calories but they're empty calories, you know?  

Lately, we've had a couple of refrigerator repairs when I've had to clear out all the stuff in the fridge (aggravating as the same problem, a systemic problem with this model evidently, has occurred again).  It was a good time to clean it really well, a chore I hate, but I'm trying to buy fewer groceries at a time so we can better see what we have in an effort not to waste food, which we're sometimes guilty of.  

Re the fridge, we just spoke about calling the repair people tomorrow (I bought a service contract when I bought it 5 years ago and renewed it for a year this year at a pretty hefty price since the darn thing keeps having problems), since it's been about 3 weeks since we've heard from GE, which is the amount of time they last advised us it may take while they contemplate whether or not to give us a brand new fridge per the terms of the service agreement.  Since we bought it (I think it was around the same time you bought a 3-door with the freezer at the bottom, Norm), we've had to have the circuit board replaced, the ice maker fixed 2 times, one service call when the ice maker wasn't making ice but the ice maker wasn't the problem, one call to replace the ice maker entirely, one call when the filtered water wouldn't dispense (had to clear the whole contents out for repair) because the water line froze up, which is in the back of the fridge and is visible in a little opening in the inside back wall, and then the same thing happened again. When the repairman showed up to fix it a second time, he said GE told him they now handled the problem differently (i.e., wrapping the line with something to keep it from freezing) so we had to clear everything out again. I'm not keen on the man who comes out and the last time he was finished, he was really jamming the drawers back in loudly (I was in the next room & Brian was with him in the kitchen) and when he hurriedly jammed the cover back on the shallow "drawer" that runs the width of the fridge, he snapped off a piece of the cover so he had to order another cover and then return to replace it when the part came in.  While we were waiting for him to come back, the freaking water line froze up again and we couldn't get any filtered water for the third time, which will require us to empty it out AGAIN! The ironic thing is that we rarely use the water line but on his initial trip to fix it, the repairman  told us the reason it was freezing up is because we didn't use it.  So we started using it, or attempting to, and repeatedly could get no water.  If you check the small little window in the back wall of the fridge, you can see the ice built up around the line. On the second trip to fix that, he told us the reason he initially knew what the problem was on the phone prior to coming out to repair it was because this happens all the time and is basically a design flaw.  It irked the heck out of me but I said nothing about his statement that it was our fault for not using the filtered water often enough.  

I normally handle repairmen but since I don't like the guy, Brian "handled" him while I stayed in the living room.  He had ticked me off several months prior when he came to repair the dishwasher and slid it back in upon completion after giving it a rest run for about 5 minutes. When he left and I walked over to it (I'd been on the side of the machine while he was here) the insulation was sticking out on both sides and the whole unit was put back in crooked -- very obviously crooked; in other words, it was sloppy work and he could see that as he was standing in front of it while I was sitting at the table with a view from the side.  I walked over to it when he left to make sure he'd canceled the test run, took one look at and quickly called his cell phone to come back and fix it.  He couldn't have been a half-mile from my house. He was really courteous when he interrupted me to say, okay, okay, I'm heading back, but it ticked me off that he left it like that in the first place!  The best thing was this lughead had another man with him he was "training" -- some trainer, but I guess he did get to experience how to handle a dissatisfied customer.

I'll let you know what happens but I sure hope we get another fridge.  Even with the problems, I love the design of the fridge.  Though I would only buy another if the  design flaw has been fixed or is absent in a newer model, I'll definitely take one for free.  Keep your fingers crossed...

148MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 11:00 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I had a GE fridge that wouldn't get cold enough to keep anything in the door fresh. I called repair and they said it was working fine. This must have been 6 times. Obviously it wasn't when the mayo would spoil within a couple of days. $ years later it quit working entirely and we tossed it. That is the last GE I will ever own.

149MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 11:35 pm

NormM

NormM

Michelle, It irks me when I see those commercials on TV that make me feel guilty for having to throw out food then go to the grocery store and see them selling things in quantities larger than I want and will not accommodate you when you ask. Case in point, i wanted two ears of corn and all they had was on plastic trays and wrapped in plastic 5 to a package. i asked the produce manager if they had any fewer and he said that all the ones that you strip yourself were not good enough to sell and that was all they had. That seemed like an obvious lie and I left the store and shopped some place else. But the other stores make it hard to buy stuff like meat in quantities small enough for two people.

150MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 18, 2017 11:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It would drive me crazy to have problems with an appliance all the time. I don't like having to call for repairs so usually Mr. Amazing figures out how to fix whatever it is. He loves the you tube videos on the computer....uses them all the time. I don't thing I've ever purchased an extended warranty for any thing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum