Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER

+4
NormM
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 15]

151"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:05 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

You could use a sweet Italian sausage instead and use spinach. I can't stand kale so that is what I would use.

152"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:12 pm

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

Poverty Meal (it's similar to Goulash)

Lettuce Salad

And I am making - Apple Crisp

153"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:41 pm

Niagara Visitor

1DomesticGoddess wrote:Poverty Meal (it's similar to Goulash)

Lettuce Salad

And I am making - Apple Crisp

Is the term poverty meal something in your ethnic background? I've never heard that term.

154"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Jimmy, glad the surgery went well....((hugs))
Thanks Cindy...
I'm trying to deal with all this. Drops every so often, eye cup on eye to sleep.
The squiggly on the sides is something I didn't have with the right eye. Hmmm.

Oh well..... Good food will fix it all, in due time. affraid

155"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper tonight will be BBQ'd hot dogs cooked slow on the stovetop for a couple hours.
I made Macaroni salad for a side.
We have chicken soup leftover, but I think that should be on tomorrows menu!

156"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Tried a copycat recipe for Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 DSCN3787_zpspbupg52x

It looks good Norm.
A lot of times we will use regular Romaine lettuce in place of the other greens.

157"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftover jambalaya and a tossed together salad....enough to keep us from starving.....

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 IMG_20161015_170218417_HDR

Yesterday and today was a neighborhood garage sale ~ I took a few things over to my neighbor's because she had a ton of stuff she wanted to be rid of. I've never seen a woman with so many clothes and shoes! But, fortunately, a lot was sold (cheap....like $1 for most everything today) and what was not sold went into the Thrift Store Donation truck that came through at the request of another neighbor. They made a haul to take back to their store where volunteers will sort and price and, hopefully, be able to use the profits to benefit their charities. There was a lot of good stuff that got loaded up ~ I don't think anyone was trying to sell 'junk', just unused items or clothing/shoes that did not fit any longer.

By the time I got done 'bartering' and buying at others' I ended up with a $5 profit for two days work....LOL But it was all great fun and I got rid of some unwanted items and picked up some useful ones. The big winner was Mr. Amazing ~ he got a 'new' golf bag he's been wanting. Picked one up for $25 so that was the majority of my sales. ((sigh)) He's one lucky guy to have such a generous wife!

158"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I tried out a roast chicken in my new roaster. It did a fine job except the skin barely browned. Maybe a turkey will do better. Stove Top stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy. It turned out ok.

I made oatmeal raisin cookies today and found out I can no longer tolerate cinnamon and I found out yesterday that mustard gives me grief. What the heck changes in the gut so you can no longer eat certain foods?

159"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:14 pm

NormM

NormM

I have an 18 qt roaster but not that particular brand. They don't do a very good job of browning. You need to add a browning sauce like Kitchen Bouquet if you want it to look like it was cooked in the oven. They don't brown bread either but they make good tasting loaves. I hear they are great with cakes too.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

160"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:21 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I found a recipe for roast turkey where you first cook the turkey at 450 for 30 mins and then turn the heat down to 325. I did that for the chicken but only turned it down to 350. It was in for a little more than an hour. Perhaps when I do a turkey, the skin will be a little browner since it is in the roaster a longer time. The chicken came out very moist. I don't expect it to duplicate an oven but at least it cooks.

161"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:07 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

You need to brush the skin with some browning agent like Kitchen Bouquet or soy sauce....it'll never get 'oven brown' in the roaster, although it will cook up nice and juicy.

I had some ground meat that needed to be used so I made up a batch of meatballs. Pulled some marinara and tomato juice out of the freezer to simmer them in. I don't know if they'll be for tonight or another night this week. But I do know there will be enough to freeze a container for another time.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 IMG_20161016_100328989

162"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I tried out a roast chicken in my new roaster. It did a fine job except the skin barely browned. Maybe a turkey will do better. Stove Top stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy. It turned out ok.

I made oatmeal raisin cookies today and found out I can no longer tolerate cinnamon and I found out yesterday that mustard gives me grief. What the heck changes in the gut so you can no longer eat certain foods?

....A G E ! .....

163"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

LOL, Jimmy!

I made my decision on supper menu for tonight. The meatballs are cooled down and in a dish in the refrigerator. They'll be for tomorrow or Tuesday. The additional casserole is sealed & covered and already in the freezer.

Tonight is going to be a steak salad. I pulled out one of the London broil steaks I just put into the freezer with my Provencal marinade. I'll grill the steak and then slice it thin and shingle it on top of an Asian dressing salad. Mr. Amazing loves dinner salads. But I'm out of romaine so I'll have to go pick up some fresh, probably get some grape tomatoes, too, if they look good. I've got cucumber and carrot and celery....maybe a red pepper for color. I hard cooked some eggs and have them in the refrigerator so they'll probably become part of the salad, too.

Yesterday I was just talking to someone about how I like to make 'composed' salads so this is probably why the idea just 'came to me' today!

164"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:You need to brush the skin with some browning agent like Kitchen Bouquet or soy sauce....it'll never get 'oven brown' in the roaster, although it will cook up nice and juicy.

I had some ground meat that needed to be used so I made up a batch of meatballs.  Pulled some marinara and tomato juice out of the freezer to simmer them in.  I don't know if they'll be for tonight or another night this week.  But I do know there will be enough to freeze a container for another time.  

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 IMG_20161016_100328989

Thats-a nice-a spiceee meeta ball!!!

165"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:11 pm

Niagara Visitor

I love dinner salads too. Used to make them up on my favourite large platter with whatever greens/veggies looked good, then added a couple of cooked eggs, cut in half, maybe leftover bits of meat from a previous meal, if none was left over, then some smoked oysters, or canned tuna, cheese or ham etc. Oh, don't forget the olives! YUMMY!

166"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

And it HAS to be 'P*R*E*T*T*Y' !

LOL

167"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:18 pm

Niagara Visitor

Absolutely..................... several times my hubby asked "What do you call this salad???" I asked him why he needed to know, he said so that he could order one in a restaurant. Bless his heart, I said I just call it a salad a la Lore.......................... making do with what you have on hand, is what it is, right???

168"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That's right! I was surprised when I did a search on composed salads that there were many suggestions for combinations I had not thought of.

I just love this 'internet' for giving me ideas! LOL

169"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:43 pm

Niagara Visitor

I think that sometimes we just have a preconceived, narrow notion of what a salad is. I know I grew up with very, very limited variety in salads.

170"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:44 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am making a turkey meatloaf tonight. Gonna bake it in the roaster and see what happens. I am roasting cauliflower on the stovetop. We'll see how that turns out. Katie wants some boxed Pasta Roni so that will round things out.

Last night Joe, Katie and I were rolling on the floor with laughter. We caught a movie on TCM called "Dolemite". It was one of those black exploitation type films from the 70's. Everyone was a pimp or a ho. The language was over the top. The clothing was over the top. We couldn't believe what we were watching. Too funny, but so much of it was common to see in Los Angeles while we were growing up. Talk about a time warp. My friend has the same type of reaction when she watches "Saturday Night Fever" because she grew up in the Bronx and did the whole disco scene. It takes her back.

171"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Let us know how your turkey meatloaf turns out. If it's really good you could add the recipe. I'm always on a lookout for a lighter version for a change of pace. But it has to come with excellent reviews ~ no sense in making something that people you know say, "it was OK but I won't make it again....."

LOL

172"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I couldn't finish my salad....ate the beef off it and half my Kaiser roll (which was WONDERFUL!). Mr. Amazing finished my salad greens (how many calories could that possibly be????), said he hated to see it 'wasted'. LOL When I went to put the steak on the grill I weighed it and saw it was 1.75 lb.! So I have half to come up with an idea to use for a lunch or another supper. I'm thinking I could get out the grinder and turn it into ground beef sandwich meat, a childhood favorite. You grind the cooked meat, add a bunch of ground/finely chopped celery, sweet pickle relish and Miracle Whip. Much like ground bologna if any remember that, only using leftover cooked beef. Mom use to make that with leftover pot roast. We kids all loved it on mushy white bread.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 IMG_20161016_173104435_HDR

173"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:26 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beth, when I was undergoing my dental implant surgery, I couldn't chew anything for a couple of years. I would take steak and throw it in my mini Cuisinart and grind it down to where I really didn't have to chew anything. This is the recipe I used although I didn't use any bread or arugula. I have made it with a white roll for my husband and I chopped the steak instead of grinding it.

Here’s a great way to use leftover grilled steak. The arugula adds a peppery finish.
user rating: Steak Salad Sandwiches with Capers 3½ forks
2 cups 1/2-inch cubes cooked steak (about 1 pound)
2 tablespoons drained capers
2 tablespoons chopped cornichons or gherkin pickles
2 tablespoons minced red onions
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
5 tablespoons mayonnaise
8 1/2-inch-thick slices olive or rosemary country-style bread (each about 3x5 inches)
8 large tomatoes slices
2 small bunches arugula, trimmed

Yield: Makes 4 servings

Preparation Combine cooked steak, capers, cornichons, red onion, Dijon mustard, and 2 tablespoons mayonnaise in medium bowl; toss to blend. Season salad with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Arrange bread on work surface. Spread slices with remaining 3 tablespoons mayonnaise. Divide steak salad among 4 bread slices. Top salad on each with 2 tomato slices and 1/4 of arugula. Press second bread slice, mayonnaise side down, onto each sandwich. Cut sandwiches diagonally in half and serve. add your own note

Source: epicurious.com

174"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had leftover chicken soup. Tina made a lemon chiffon pie. Umm!

175"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 7 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

"Tina made a lemon chiffon pie. Umm!"

Umm is right! Oh, my, but that sounds good! You're a lucky man!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum