Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September 2016, Whats for Dinner??

+5
bethk
Crybaby
Imelda HL
cookingirl
1DomesticGoddess
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 16]

151September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:58 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

When we first bought the frozen ones at the Asian Market, we bought two bottles of dipping sauce. One was hot / spicy , and the other one was plain. Again.... bought at the same store with help from the people that worked there that spoke English a little.

152September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:26 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Same as mine except I don't use water. I will have to give that a try. Soy can be a bit strong.

153September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I think I remember hearing that soy sauce, has anchiovy's fish in it?
IDK?? I could be thinking of something else.

154September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:41 pm

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

We are having...

Creamy Cabbage Soup

Bacon Butty Sandwich (which hubby and I are splitting)

Deviled Eggs

Cheesecake Bars topped with fresh fruit (our daughter Jen made them and shared them with us)

155September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Same as mine except I don't use water. I will have to give that a try. Soy can be a bit strong.

Yup....that was what I couldn't figure out when I was 'developing' my recipe and it didn't taste like the one at the restaurant where I loved to order the pot stickers. Mine was way too strong. But when I finally hit on the idea to water down the soy sauce it was the taste I was looking for. Be careful because it'll boil up quickly in the microwave. I usually use a 2 c. Pyrex measuring cup and make it with 1/4 c. soy sauce & 1/4 c. water, then add the bit of sesame oil and the pieces of ginger. Waiting for it to all cool down to room temperature is long enough to get the flavor out of the ginger and into the soy sauce.

But play around with it ~ you may find you like it if you add a bit of fish sauce, too. Who knows?

Keep me posted if you find a different way you like.

156September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

1DomesticGoddess wrote:We are having...

Creamy Cabbage Soup

Deviled Eggs

Cheesecake Bars topped with fresh fruit (our daughter Jen made them and shared them with us)

OK, Cindy, we'll go over this again......DETAILS ~ we need more details, please!

Do you make your own Creamy Cabbage Soup? Please describe and/or add a recipe.

What is a Bacon Butty Sandwich???

How do you make your deviled eggs, do you add any 'secret' ingredients?

You get a pass on the cheesecake bars because your daughter made them.......

LOL

157September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're having some flounder (cooked on the grill or side burner, haven't decided), green bean/corn sauté and steamed spinach for supper.

Our finance guy stopped by this morning on his way to Tampa to see clients to go over some investments with us so I pulled half a loaf of banana bread out and some peanut butter cookies.  He's so funny ~ stated he only wanted some coffee but when he saw the treats on the countertop he said, "of course, I wouldn't turn down anything you happened to bake, Beth".  LOL  He even remembered the last time he was here I had made some cranberry orange quick bread.  I don't think his wife cooks a lot, and not much in the way of sweets.

So when he got ready to leave I put the rest of the banana bread in a zip bag and handed it to him so in case he got stuck in traffic he wouldn't starve before getting on his way again.

(plus, then it was out of the house and not a temptation for me to snack on)

158September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:20 pm

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

NormM wrote:I tried my hand at some homemade General Tso's chicken.  Charlie was amused that I would spend so much time making something that we could get by picking up the phone and having delivered in a fraction of the time it takes to make it. After he had some, he said he'd rather have this than delivery.

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 DSCN3738_zpsyugqm94y

Norm, your General Tso's Chicken looks delicious!

bethk wrote:I've made pork dumplings before.  The ingredients are simple enough.  It wouldn't be difficult if you had a few people to help assemble because that task takes the longest.  

When I cooked them I browned them 'flat side' down (the side they rested on when made & frozen) in a bit of oil with just a couple drops of sesame oil to flavor.  When golden I added enough water to steam and added a lid to the skillet until the meat filling was cooked.

When you make them you get a completely new admiration for those who can whip out dozens of beautifully styled varieties.  I'm not one of those people ~ LOL

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 042912

Beth, your Pork Dumplings look delicious as well!

159September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cindy, those pics were from years ago.....when we still lived in Ohio. But, they were tasty. I made them that one time only, I wanted to experience it, kind of like when I made bagels. It was enough to teach me it's not all that much better tasting then the ones I can buy. LOL

The bagels I've made a few times ~ those WERE better than the ones I can buy.

160September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:50 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I think I remember hearing that soy sauce, has anchiovy's fish in it?

Fish sauce has anchovies in it, it smells like dirty socks.. it's one of the most used sauces in most Asian foods, esp Thai, Vietnamese foods, I used it too, mostly for my Chow Mien and marinate meats... we wont notice the stinky smell once we add it in our cooking.. only we need to tell people just in case some people allergic to anchovy

161September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today... I thawed some sandwich steaks, and cut them in approx. 3 x 3 inch pieces.
I breaded them ( 15 pieces ) with flour egg, and bread crumbs. Italian style and spiced.
I gues we can call it Italian breaded steak, or as today, they call it chicken fried steak.

I guess I'll start to fry them around 4:30 or so.
We have cooked cauliflower....and mashed potatoes for Tina. I want mine on the side to crunch and nibble on whilst I eat angel hair spaghetti with a plain marinara sauce.
GD went to her mothers today for supper.

I'm drinking orange drink ( a pretend Florida orange drink ) Tina made with fresh squeezed orange and rinds in the pitcher, plus orange juice and Tang. Remember that Tang?. I used to love it when it made orange juice in the winter time in the 60's.

I also remember the little can ( 8 oz. ) of Minute-Maid frozen juice, that made a little over 1/2 a quart of juice. That was when Mom would pour the juice in a small glass, but only half full.
We had to drink it too! Mom figured, that helped us get our vitamin C.
Today, the kids drink it like soda pop.

Well.... let me take the garbage out. Nice breezy weather today (77 degrees ). Windows all open, and the A/C is Off!
Tina likes her windows open.

162September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I think I remember hearing that soy sauce, has anchiovy's fish in it?

Fish sauce has anchovies in it, it smells like dirty socks.. it's one of the most used sauces in most Asian foods, esp Thai, Vietnamese foods, I used it too, mostly for my Chow Mien and marinate meats... we wont notice the stinky smell once we add it in our cooking.. only we need to tell people just in case some people allergic to anchovy

Thanks Imelda... I was thinking of Worcestershire sauce has anchovy in it.

163September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:44 pm

NormM

NormM

Worcestershire sauce has anchovy and tamarind in it. Soy sauce is a fermentation of water, wheat, soy beans and salt.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

164September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:46 pm

NormM

NormM

Thank you 1Domestic Goddess

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

165September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was mighty tasty! I know I should probably drop the heavy carbs like the corn & bean saute but I rationalize there's enough fiber to offset most of the calories that will settle in my belly......I'm really good at figuring out a reason I CAN eat something I shouldn't. LOL

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 IMG_20160911_173532813

166September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The Italian Chicken fried steak. There were 15 in all.....seven left. ( they are thin though )
We had them with angel hair Spaghetti.......
September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 5MJlpC

Check out the kitchen towels. Tina cannot wait for fall! ....

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Wrro13

167September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Supper was mighty tasty!  I know I should probably drop the heavy carbs like the corn & bean saute but I rationalize there's enough fiber to offset most of the calories that will settle in my belly......I'm really good at figuring out a reason I CAN eat something I shouldn't.  LOL

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 IMG_20160911_173532813

Looks good Beth....
I use the same excuse tactics...like for dessert tonight, I suggested ice cream sandwiches to cool the stomach after drinking our hot coffee. tongue

168September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:25 pm

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Check out the kitchen towels. Tina cannot wait for fall! ....

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Wrro13

Jimmy those towels are so cute!

169September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:21 pm

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

bethk wrote:
1DomesticGoddess wrote:We are having...

Creamy Cabbage Soup

Deviled Eggs

OK, Cindy, we'll go over this again......DETAILS ~ we need more details, please!

Do you make your own Creamy Cabbage Soup?  Please describe and/or add a recipe.

What is a Bacon Butty Sandwich???

How do you make your deviled eggs, do you add any 'secret' ingredients?

You get a pass on the cheesecake bars because your daughter made them.......

LOL

Beth, I just posted the recipe for the soup.

A Bacon Butty Sandwich is a British Sandwich which originally is made with back bacon, a lean smoked meat that is closer to ham than regular bacon, but I always make my sandwich with thick slices of apple wood smoked bacon. The sandwich can be made with bread of choice (plain or toasted) or even a crusty bread roll, and while some like to butter their bread and add either steak sauce or Worcestershire sauce to their sandwich. I on the other hand, prefer my bread to be toasted and buttered, then I slather some ketchup on one side of the toasted bread, and then slather the other with a bit of salad dressing.

As for the deviled eggs, and when in a hurry, I just mash the yolks and whip in some salad dressing.  Don't add other ingredients or seasonings, as that's how my mother made hers, but I do have a few other delicious ways to make them, and will post my favorite recipes.

170September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:09 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made chicken chow mein tonight but it will need tweeking before it is any good. Joe and Katie ate it all though. I lost my appetite watching 9/11 videos. It tore me up. Some of the shows were just too painful to watch or listen to.

171September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:00 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:...I lost my appetite watching 9/11 videos. It tore me up. Some of the shows were just too painful to watch or listen to.

I know what you mean, Debbie. I went to bed with the dreaded "red eyes" from crying. It never gets any easier...

172September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight is supper by request ~ Mr. Amazing finally had an overpowering urge for a meal suggestion!

We're having chili dogs with potato salad.

I know, I KNOW.....not exactly the low calorie fare I said I need to eat. But, that's life. Sometimes plans change and you just have to roll with it. I did pick up the low fat Nathan's hot dogs (97% fat free). I've had them before and they really aren't much different in taste than the regular ones, IMO.

So, my potato salad is made. It's about half & half potatoes and eggs/celery/carrot.....lightened up where I could.

Maybe tomorrow we'll be better.....

maybe not.

173September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:42 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Well, that chow mein did not hold off my husband's hunger. At 1:30AM he did a raid on the fridge. I discovered the raid this morning when I opened up the fridge. My half sandwich had disappeared, there was a hole in the pan of spaghetti sauce, the Fritos were down to crumbs.

174September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

So, you're suggesting Joe cut up your sandwich, threw it in a serving bowl, covered it with cold spaghetti sauce and sprinkled it all with the rest of the bag of Fritos.....??????

Gee, sounds pretty tasty to me!

LOL

175September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I checked the nutritional info on the packages and I was amazed it said there was only 45 calories in the hot dog.....the sodium was off the chart but the calories were low. So I guess it wasn't as awful as I anticipated.

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 IMG_20160912_175013649

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum