Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ?

+5
NormM
Crybaby
bethk
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 17]

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:The tomatoes he brought me got a bit warm sitting in the utility room in Ohio and then the trip in the car must have been pretty warm, too. 99% have started to turn black on the tops. I'll have to get them processed today, to be sure. A couple will become sliced for BLT's for lunch after trimming. I ended up putting them all in the refrigerator to stop the rotting.....

Do you have plans for the bulk of them, Beth?  Just curious...

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm just going to wash & trim and cook down. Then I can run them through my food mill to remove the seeds & skin and I'll just freeze the juice as is or cook a pot down with some herbs for marinara.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:The fried chicken was good and I might try it again to see if I can make it come out better. I haven't pan fried a chicken in a long time and maybe I am a little rusty. It came out darker than KFC. The seasonings are really high in ratio to the flour compared to any other recipe I've seen.

Tina bought KFC chicken yesterday, and I picked and poked at a piece looking for oregano pieces, and found none. It is possible, they use ground ( powdered ) oregano / spices ??
I know the Greek style hamburger / hot dog chili calls for powdered oregano, and it does make a difference in the taste as opposed to using just dried leave oregano.

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:The fried chicken was good and I might try it again to see if I can make it come out better. I haven't pan fried a chicken in a long time and maybe I am a little rusty. It came out darker than KFC. The seasonings are really high in ratio to the flour compared to any other recipe I've seen.

That is what I thought.

NormM

NormM

It didn't specify if it was powdered or flaked oregano. It would have been whatever was most common back in the '40's, I suppose.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:I know the Greek style hamburger / hot dog chili calls for powdered oregano, and it does make a difference in the taste as opposed to using just dried leave oregano.

I prefer using dried oregano rather than the powder, but I always pinch the dried leaves between my fingers before adding it to a dish, and it makes all the difference in the flavor. I have lots of fresh oregano in the garden but to be honest, I really prefer the taste of the pinched dried leaves to the fresh oregano.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm the same way with my tarragon. I prefer the stuff that I cut and hang to dry, then crunch up and store in a jar.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:This recipe has had some changes over the years.  The last change came when Charlie's mom looked at the recipe and suggested that I change red pepper flakes to red pepper paste.

PORK BULGOGE

Recipe from Norm Matthews

1 Boston  butt pork roast, sliced wafer thin
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons sesame salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
2 tablespoons sake or dry sherry or Chinese cooking wine
2 tablespoons  Korean red pepper paste (Gochujang)
8 green onion, sliced i-inch, diagonally
toasted sesame seeds
peanut oil-for frying   Cooked on stove top grill or outside on the grill.

Mix all ingredients except oil.  Set aside for a few minutes.  Heat oil in wok or large frying pan.  Add pork and marinade mixture and stir fry until meat is no longer pink.  Serve with rice.

Thank you Norm, I'm going to make it, instead of Gochijang, I'm going to add my own chili sauce

and thank you on the tip for my cast iron skillet too

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

We had a friend came for dinner last Sunday, his wife is on vacation visiting their children in PA and DE, so he is home alone for 3 weeks, he was happy to come by and had dinner with us ( when I was away to visit my mom, they liked to invite Dirk over for dinner too ).. I cooked some Chow mien, Indonesian style pork satay with peanut sauce and some egg rolls, as for dessert, Cream cheese pound cake soaked in lemon sugar glaze

Pork satay with peanut butter sauce, I marinated my pork ( pork butt or chicken thigh meats are good too ) with coriander powder, cumin powder, garlic powder, oil, chili sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce... as for the peanut  sauce, I used shortcut this time, chunky peanut butter with tomato ketchup, a bit of honey, a bit of lemon juice, salt, chili sauce and crushed fried shallots ( or fried onion )

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 16 Sate_zpsslkgbali

Chow mien, with various veggies, chicken and shrimps, garnished with omelet ribbons and fried onions, I also cooked this for my friend's mother in-laws' 90th birthday party last Friday.. my friend and the guests in the party said, my chow mien has completely taste than the ones they've eaten in Chinese restaurants  bounce  

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 16 35_zps0hkklmq7

and egg rolls, with ground shrimps, ground chickens, cabbage and carrots

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 16 37_zpsn1iewsvt

and my almost perfect pound cake, a bit sticky on the bottom
Smile

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 16 38_zpsmd3tudxw

bethk

bethk
Admin

You are just a Crazy Cooking Lady!

It all looks amazing (as usual). I'll bet you have them lined up at your door trying to get an invitation to sit down with you at your table.

cookingirl

cookingirl

Imelda HL wrote:We had a friend came for dinner last Sunday, his wife is on vacation visiting their children in PA and DE, so he is home alone for 3 weeks, he was happy to come by and had dinner with us ( when I was away to visit my mom, they liked to invite Dirk over for dinner too ).. I cooked some Chow mien, Indonesian style pork satay with peanut sauce and some egg rolls, as for dessert, Cream cheese pound cake soaked in lemon sugar glaze

Pork satay with peanut butter sauce, I marinated my pork ( pork butt or chicken thigh meats are good too ) with coriander powder, cumin powder, garlic powder, oil, chili sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce... as for the peanut  sauce, I used shortcut this time, chunky peanut butter with tomato ketchup, a bit of honey, a bit of lemon juice, salt, chili sauce and crushed fried shallots ( or fried onion )

Chow mien, with various veggies, chicken and shrimps, garnished with omelet ribbons and fried onions, I also cooked this for my friend's mother in-laws' 90th birthday party last Friday.. my friend and the guests in the party said, my chow mien has completely taste than the ones they've eaten in Chinese restaurants  bounce  

Smile

Imelda, that is a delicious looking meal... yum!!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:We had a friend came for dinner last Sunday, his wife is on vacation visiting their children in PA and DE, so he is home alone for 3 weeks, he was happy to come by and had dinner with us ( when I was away to visit my mom, they liked to invite Dirk over for dinner too ).. I cooked some Chow mien, Indonesian style pork satay with peanut sauce and some egg rolls, as for dessert, Cream cheese pound cake soaked in lemon sugar glaze

Smile

It all looks so good Imelda, and as for the sticky on the bottom of the pound cake, I can un-sticky that in an instant. Just let me at it! hahahahahahah

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

What a crazy messed up day today.
Tina went to do shopping for her uncle in West Orange... Payed his bills, sraightened out his credit card issue that was stolen and someone charged on.
Then.. Maria took Lenny up to the emergency room for an ear infection. They get back to the farm, and back to the hospital; he cut his arm. 5 stitches....He's doing ok, thank god.

Good thing we had the kielbasi left over from yesterday. I had that, and soup in the cup and potato salad for supper.

Tina ran to cvs to get my new pills which they only had 3 of yesterday. They ran low she said!
She wants to make chicken soup for tomorrows supper.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I put the Italian Beef Roast in the Crock Pot early this morning and it cooked all day....but it didn't cook like it always has in the past. It was still 'firm' after 11 hours. I'm thinking it was the quality of beef, full of gristle and not marbled with fat like I was use to. The taste was OK, but I was still disappointed. Then, when I tried to empty the 'bag' of cooking juice into the fat separator container the bag slipped and 80% of the juices dumped down the drain. On the bright side, at least I was doing the task IN the sink instead of on the countertop where it would have splattered all over the counter, down the cabinets and on to the floor!

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 16 IMG_20160830_172414627

Normally the beef is shredding instead of being sliced .....

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 16 IMG_20160830_173247186

But it all tasted OK. The leftover half roast is in a pot with the salvaged cooking juices and a bit of water to simmer until it DOES fall apart.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 16 IMG_20160830_173803391_HDR

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I put the Italian Beef Roast in the Crock Pot early this morning and it cooked all day....but it didn't cook like it always has in the past.  It was still 'firm' after 11 hours.  I'm thinking it was the quality of beef, full of gristle and not marbled with fat like I was use to.  The taste was OK, but I was still disappointed.  Then, when I tried to empty the 'bag' of cooking juice into the fat separator container the bag slipped and 80% of the juices dumped down the drain.  On the bright side, at least I was doing the task IN the sink instead of on the countertop where it would have splattered all over the counter, down the cabinets and on to the floor!  

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 16 IMG_20160830_172414627

Normally the beef is shredding instead of being sliced .....

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 16 IMG_20160830_173247186

But it all tasted OK.  The leftover half roast is in a pot with the salvaged cooking juices and a bit of water to simmer until it DOES fall apart.  

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 16 IMG_20160830_173803391_HDR

If the meat's tough, grind it and make chili. It all sure does look good though!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I'm the same way with my tarragon.  I prefer the stuff that I cut and hang to dry, then crunch up and store in a jar.

I'd bought tarragon plants at the garden center before but we never liked the flavor. Then someone told me to make sure I got French tarragon. Never could find it locally so I ordered a plant online about three months ago. It's not very big yet but I still use the fresh to finish off the dish and used the dried while making it, something I do quite often with fresh herbs. That French tarragon did indeed make all the difference. I can't wait until it gets bigger (or I buy some more plants) so I can dry some and bottle it for later use.

Brian's favorite sauce is Tarragon Cream Sauce. He could drink a gallon of the stuff!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda, as usual your dinner looks divine! If I was that friend of Dirk's, I'd be asking my wife to leave town on a regular basis just so I could eat at your house. It all looked really gorgeous and the egg rolls looked like they belonged on a magazine cover. Yum Yum.

Beth, that sauce going down the drain must've just about broken your heart. That kind of thing has happened to me before -- "draining" something once and looking away, not realizing I'd forgotten to put the strainer back into the sink. You just want to kick yourself! It might not have been as tender but your dinner sure looked good! I'll bet Dane enjoyed a nice home-cooked meal again, too -- your cooking, that is!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle ~ if you have trouble finding any herb plant (and I had a lot of difficulty finding French tarragon around here) you can do what I ended up doing. Buy seeds. It's great, easy to start in doors and only takes a few seeds for a pot full. I have a gorgeous plant now and the excess seeds are waiting for when that plant looks like it needs to retire. Then I'll just sow another crop.

I also 'harvested' a couple seed heads from my last dill plant. When it's too hot and starts to look tattered I let it 'bolt' and then harvest the seed heads to dry. I bought dill seed once in the last 3 years ~ all the rest has been free, home grown stuff.

If you can't find the seeds at a local garden center you can always order on line.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a chicken breast cooking in my little cast iron skillet....using the Test Kitchen method of browning the skin by starting it in a cold pan and weighting it down with a pot of water (for the extra weight). I think I'll 'finish' it in the toaster oven to be sure it's cooked through since it's a pretty thick bone-in breast. And for some reason (hahahaha Michelle) I want to make an herb cream sauce to spoon over the sliced meat. The idea just came to me to go cut some TARRAGON and chives - I happened to have a shallot in the veg drawer - so while the chicken is finishing up in the toaster oven I'll play around with a tarragon/herb cream sauce.

Boy, I just love it when I get inspiration here!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Breaded Pork chops ( boneless ) are cooked and on the rack. Corn is cooked, and in the pot.
I have no appetite. The visit to get measured for my cataract removal next thursday was such a pain in the axx .
A 10:30 appointment, and didn't get out of there till 12:30, because they scheduled like 8 people for 1030.... Last week I was there 3 hours.... I was like shxx or get off the pot people!!

So to top off the day, poor Tina is on her way to see her Uncle Gabe at the nursing home.
He was in the hospital for pacreatitis infection. they fed him at the hospital after the infection cleared,and they released him. Yesterday he ate the nursing home food, and got sick.
He won't eat the cooked food, so he just eats the sandwiches. They don't cook for diabetics, and they just feed them regular food, and shoot them up with insulin to lower their glucose level.

So Tina just had to check and see how he is doing.
I guess i just cannot sit and enjoy a nice meal, when the wife is there, and taking care of all the crap.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Thank you all, and all your meals look/sound good and delicious as well

here is my Chinese BBQ, as they call it Char Siu, Chinese restaurants like to add it in their fried rice or chow mien... I like to cook it myself, it tastes much better and juicier, because I used fatty pork cut, exp the country style ribs

I marinated them with honey, Chinese cooking wine, five spice powder, garlic powder, hoisin sauce, and Red yeast rice powder or red food coloring, I marinated the meat overnight, then baked them covered with foil until the ribs tendered.. then I broiled them

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 16 62_zpskwbdoo4c

oh, they are so good

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 16 Charsiu_zpsxdiucolf

bethk

bethk
Admin

Like Chinese BBQ! That looks really yummy, Imelda. Every once in a while I get hungry for Chinese sausage, the sweet, fatty kind they have in the freezer at good Oriental groceries. I like to stir fry it with green beans and have it with sticky rice.

I'm stuffed from supper. So is Mr. Amazing. Michelle, the tarragon/chive/shallot cream sauce I threw together tasted wonderful! Thanks so much for the idea. Dane even tried it and then spooned a little bit more on his chicken after he found out how tasty it was.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 16 IMG_20160831_175022213

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote: They don't cook for diabetics, and they just feed them regular food, and shoot them up with insulin to lower their glucose level.

I guess i just cannot sit and enjoy a nice meal, when the wife is there, and taking care of all the crap.

WHAT? You tell Tina to get hold of his Dr. and have his office give them he(double)l......That is ridiculous AND dangerous. If they kill him they'll be out the money they get for him being there. Idiots. If that doesn't work then get hold of a social worker and have Tina schedule a meeting with the head of nursing and dietary. They know what he's suppose to be eating and it's up to them to provide it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:. The visit to get measured for my cataract removal next thursday was such a pain in the axx .
A 10:30 appointment, and didn't get out of there till 12:30, because they scheduled like 8 people for 1030.... Last week I was there 3 hours.... I was like shxx or get off the pot people!!

You big whiner.....what else do you have to do? You're RETIRED! LOL

But I do know what you mean about having an appointment and then sitting for hours just to have the doc look at you for 3 minutes and say, "see you Thursday". It's frustrating, to be sure.

But look at the bright side ~ when it's over you'll be able to see again!

(at least you can't fake poor eye sight like you can with men's 'selective hearing')

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote: They don't cook for diabetics, and they just feed them regular food, and shoot them up with insulin to lower their glucose level.

WHAT?  You tell Tina to get hold of his Dr. and have his office give them he(double)l......That is ridiculous AND dangerous.  If they kill him they'll be out the money they get for him being there.  Idiots.  If that doesn't work then get hold of a social worker and have Tina schedule a meeting with the head of nursing and dietary.  They know what he's suppose to be eating and it's up to them to provide it.

She is meeting with them friday. He's ok today, and they have him on a liquid and soft diet. He always had a queezy stomach.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum