Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ?

+5
NormM
Crybaby
bethk
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 17]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina wanted the recipe too, so I copied it for her.
She would like to try it too.

Her aunt Helen, used to fry chicken after it was breaded, in a pan covered, and cooked slowly.
She would leave the cover only after the chicken was turned after the one side was done, and she
then would set the lid ( cover ) 1/3 open.
Her chicken was always crispy. And never burnt.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I heard this was going around the web. Thanks Norm for posting it!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Norm, I was reading the recipe. Do you know what "origino" means or is?

Bugster2

Bugster2

DUH! Oregano!

NormM

NormM

Yeah, there were a couple of misspelled words. I didn't correct them. I did change Ts to Tbs because it was clarified later in the article.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cool! I hope everyone who gives the recipe a try reports on how theirs turned out.

I remember watching an old episode of Alton Brown's series on frying chicken. He said to get the best chicken you had to have the oil only half way up the pieces of chicken so when it started to cook the moisture would be released through the top half of the chicken and that allowed the coating to adhere and not be cooked off. It makes sense when you think about it. Nothing worse than all your flavorful coating dropping off your chicken.

NormM

NormM

That makes sense in theory but ever since I got this deep fryer a few years ago, I have deep fried several foods with coatings, including chicken and I have never had that problem. Of course now that you have said it happens, it will start to happen to me.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sorry if I've jinxed you! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

i lightly pounded out a piece of pork steak to brown and cook with sauerkraut. I'm out of potatoes so the next best (or better) thing was potato pierogis with caramelized onions. Now I'm stuffed.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 15 IMG_20160828_164134316

NormM

NormM

Here are the slow cooker carnitas. Charlie likes it better than the other recipe I'd been using and it didn't take any fuss or time checking on it. We had it with salsa, cheese, cilantro, avocado and soft flour tortillas.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 15 DSCN3724_zpstbgofyuj

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was a 1/2 leftover Tina's liverwurst and swiss ( yuck ) with mustard!
A cupcake ( stale ) and a glass of white wine.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Cool!  I hope everyone who gives the recipe a try reports on how theirs turned out.

I remember watching an old episode of Alton Brown's series on frying chicken.  He said to get the best chicken you had to have the oil only half way up the pieces of chicken so when it started to cook the moisture would be released through the top half of the chicken and that allowed the coating to adhere and not be cooked off.  It makes sense when you think about it.  Nothing worse than all your flavorful coating dropping off your chicken.

If you coat something with egg and flour, if you let the coated item sit for no more than 15 minutes (I do close to 10 minutes), the gluten has time to develop and the coating stays on really well. I had problems sautéing even breaded chicken breasts until I read that years ago. Now by the time I finish the breading, the first done pieces are usually ready to be sautéed. If it's skinned chicken, I think putting a few holes in the skin prior to breading helps, too -- like with the tip of a sharp knife. I don't deep fry anything but this stuff all works when sautéing...

Crybaby

Crybaby

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 15 IMG_20160827_182408330_HDR

That looks soooo good, Beth.  Yum, yum.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Michelle.

And, yes, I use your tip about letting coated items sit to develop the gluten or absorb the moisture.  The chicken cutlet I made in that meal was my usual coating mix ~ buttermilk & sriracha (or samba olek) and plain panko crumbs.  I like the crunch the panko gives when it cooks, and the buttermilk is my standard instead of egg as I think it also helps to tenderize the meat or neutralize the acid in something like a fried green tomato.

If you don't let the breaded item sit for a few minutes the coating cooks up nice and crispy, just not attached to your cutlet!  LOL

The other tip I use is one I picked up from watching Sara Moulton.....use a piece of parchment to hold your crumbs.  Then you can 'push' the crumbs up on the sides easily and get a better, more even coating without having to touch the stuff that's still wet from the buttermilk.

(stupid auto correct.....changed sambal olek to sambal oleo!)

Last edited by bethk on Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Here are the slow cooker carnitas.  Charlie likes it better than the other recipe I'd been using and it didn't take any fuss or time checking on it. We had it with salsa, cheese, cilantro, avocado and soft flour tortillas.

Looks great, Norm. Do you ever smoke your pork before you slow cook it into carnitas? Just wondering.

By the way, Dane is on his way home today so I'm going to give him a 'Welcome Home' meal.....the CrockPot Italian Beef Roast with potatoes, carrots & onions. I was all excited because Winn Dixie had chuck roasts on sale for $2.98/lb. over the weekend.

We'll have the meal tonight and leftovers for Italian Beef Sandwiches or just to prep for sandwiches and into the freezer to save for another time. That beef is the best. (Thank you, Bev, wherever you are!)

NormM

NormM

Beth, I have smoked pork shoulder and I have made carnitas with it but I have never done both with the same roast.

Have you seen a recipe going around lately that is called Mississippi Pot Roast? It is just like the Italian one but substitutes a stick of butter and peperonicinis for the Italian dressing.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, I saw the recipe.....couldn't figure out why I would want to add butter to the mix because I always use a fat separator to get rid of the excess fat from the meat. Maybe the butter flavor permeates the meat because it's so tender when cooked all day in the Crock Pot. I can understand subbing the peppers for the Italian dressing, especially since the salad dressing mix is 99% salt, but I'm not fond of the peppers so I'm sticking to Bev's original recipe.

I just figured out Dane won't get in until after 7 p.m. so I'm thinking of just having everything ready to make the roast tomorrow. After driving for 16 hours straight (I know ~ I think it's dumb, too~) I doubt he'll want a whole meal. I think he'll appreciate it better after some rest.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Mr. Amazing is going to make it home by about 6:15....He's nuts. Truly. 1,050 miles in about 15 hours. I prefer to make the trip over 3 days.

I poached a chicken breast and made some chicken noodle soup and saved the meat to slice for cold chicken sandwiches for our supper tonight.

I have everything prepped for tomorrow so I can make the Crock Pot Italian Beef Roast for him then.....IF he wakes up to eat, that is. LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had... Kielbasi braised in onions and potatoes.
Today was Dr. day for me. Had a ECHO done at the cardiologist. He said heart is good.
Too much fluid in lungs, and with copd it is hard to breath. He gave me another diuretic water pill.
I just took it 7:00 and it's two hours, and no effect yet.

NormM

NormM

I made the KFC chicken today. We don't think it tastes like KFC.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I made the KFC chicken today.  We don't think it tastes like KFC.

I trust your opinion Norm....

Believe it or not, Tina picked up a pre dinner appetizer of KFC popcorn chicken.
I enjoyed them so much, and they were so well cooked and not greasy, and crunchy was the word. I almost broke a tooth on one, it was so crunchy.

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:I made the KFC chicken today.  We don't think it tastes like KFC.

So, it didn't taste like KFC. Was it any good anyway?

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Mr. Amazing is going to make it home by about 6:15....He's nuts.  Truly.  1,050 miles in about 15 hours.  I prefer to make the trip over 3 days.  

I poached a chicken breast and made some chicken noodle soup and saved the meat to slice for cold chicken sandwiches for our supper tonight.

I have everything prepped for tomorrow so I can make the Crock Pot Italian Beef Roast for him then.....IF he wakes up to eat, that is.  LOL

Glad he's going to be safely at home tonight, though I don't understand his, or Brian's, desire to make it such a short trip home! I'll bet you're tickled pink to have him home, as it seems like ages ago that he and your grandson left. Hope he enjoys the nice chuck roast you're making tomorrow. Great price on the beef, too!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane got stuck in a traffic jam on I-75 because of some horrific accident where a semi ran into the back of a school bus....he had to wait while it was cleared and Life Flight came and went. He was far enough back to not see what was going on but not far enough to exit the highway. He did finally make it home about 7:00 ~ pretty darn tired.

So, he was happy to have a quick supper.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 15 IMG_20160829_190955861

The tomatoes he brought me got a bit warm sitting in the utility room in Ohio and then the trip in the car must have been pretty warm, too. 99% have started to turn black on the tops. I'll have to get them processed today, to be sure. A couple will become sliced for BLT's for lunch after trimming. I ended up putting them all in the refrigerator to stop the rotting.....

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 15 IMG_20160829_193338111

NormM

NormM

The fried chicken was good and I might try it again to see if I can make it come out better. I haven't pan fried a chicken in a long time and maybe I am a little rusty. It came out darker than KFC. The seasonings are really high in ratio to the flour compared to any other recipe I've seen.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum