Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ?

+5
NormM
Crybaby
bethk
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 17]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes.....he wanted to lose some 'retirement' weight. So he wanted ME to change my way of cooking. AND he wanted me to tell him how many calories was in everything I made and served. Well, after quite a few 'discussions' he was convinced if it was the weight HE wanted to lose then it was up to him to look up the calories in his foods and it was up to him to control the serving size he ate.

I remember when he first started we had a chat about drinking alcohol....he decided since vodka was clear it must not have any calories.....Hahahahaha

Then, because he was feeling like he was hungry all the time, he ate apples for a snack ~ but since they were raw and 'good for you' he didn't think they had any calories to speak of. I showed him how to look up the apples (in this case, Jazz apples from New Zealand) on the 'calories in food' chart. I remember trying really, really hard not to laugh out loud when he was sitting at the computer and exclaimed, "90 calories.....it says those apples are 90 calories EACH!".

I can be mean like that sometimes.....

But now he has his eating and exercising under control, or at least to his satisfaction, so I do get to cook a few of my 'old' meals. If he complains I just tell him the portion control is HIS responsibility.

Tonight I'm giving in to my cravings since seeing Jimmy's knockwurst last night. I woke up thinking about that! I can't find anything near as lovely as his and I paid a ridiculous price for some Nathan's Knockwurst....but I want them and I'm going to have them!

By the way, in case you're wondering,,,,,,Mr. Amazing is up in Ohio doing maintenance on our house there that our daughter rents from us. So I don't have to be concerned about him being upset with me for making knockwurst, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. It's all just for me.

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

Beth, I hope you enjoy your knockwurst, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Great new avatar, Michelle!

Brian's cousin, Colleen, now deceased (her cancer had returned prior to her trip here and we had a ball while she was here), took that pic of the two of us on the Algiers Ferry in 2012. Up until two years ago, you could take your car on the ferry, which is what we did that day. I was still trying to find another job after cutting my arm in 2010 and was on my way to a job interview, and Brian was driving Colleen and her friend Susan to the Hilton downtown so they could catch the shuttle bus to the Jazz Fest. I ran across that pic the other day and figured it wasn't too scary to post! We really don't have many pictures of ourselves at all, as neither of us have camera phones and we're not too keen on having our picture taken anyway. We look pretty much the same except I think we each have lost about 20 lbs. since then. If it was closer, you'd see how much gray is in my hair! I love gray hair and wish mine would turn totally gray but it seems to be in a holding pattern...

bethk wrote:Love the recipe for your short ribs, especially the phrase, "Visit the pot occasionally and stir the ribs..." Nothing I love more than to 'visit' my food and sit for a spell.....LOL

Well, honey, you ought to visit this recipe, as it is truly delicious. The smells alone in the house while it cooks will knock you out!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I guess I will work on this weeks menu today and start a grocery list. Oh joy. My life is so exciting.

You'll think I'm a bore but I love doing that. Sticking to my plan is another thing, though. Some days we have a late lunch and just don't feel like a big dinner or dinner at all. Lately, it's been kind of cozy with all the rain and the lack of sun so we tend to make meals that remind me more of winter than summer.

Tuesday, I had to meet my BIL and go to the bank (another transfer of some stock that was still in my Mom's name and account) and I talked Brian into coming with me. Then my BIL, Ed, his secretary Laura, and our friend Pete joined us for lunch at Mr. B's, a really nice restaurant in the French Quarter. Pete is Brian's best friend locally and he and Laura were very, very kind and caring of my sister before she passed away last year. I'd been wanting for all of us to go to lunch for a while and everyone was up for it on Tuesday. It was a boozy lunch, too, and we really had a ball and ate really well -- the mark of a super lunch. My face hurt from laughing by the time lunch was over.

Brian and I lazed around the house when we got home in late afternoon and then called it a night early. He brought homemade brownies and fresh cherries to bed so we had something to snack on while watching the Olympics. All in all, a good day even though we didn't follow our "menu"...

Crybaby

Crybaby

I like Spanish Rice, too, Cindi, and it's been ages since I had it or even thought about it. Looks good, though I never had it with ground meat in it before. Smile

bethk

bethk
Admin

There are so many variations of Spanish Rice.....mine is a full meal with lots of hamburger, peppers, onions, rice and cooked with Spicy V-8 as the liquid. I use to make it starting with 5 or 6 pounds of ground beef when I found it on sale. Then it got cooked, cooled down when the rice was just barely done and frozen in meal size container. We like it with lots of hot peppers. I remember one time I made it for 'company' and made two casserole dishes, 'Their's' with cheese on the top and mine, of course, without any cheese. I thought it was super spicy but it didn't seem to bother anyone else. That's when I discovered the protein in cheese mellows out the hot spiciness completely. My brother and I were talking about it at the table and he said it wasn't spicy at all ~ then he took a bite of MY cheese-less Spanish Rice and his eyes got huge. He couldn't believe it was the same batch and that the cheese could get rid of the spice.

I ate early ~ I skipped lunch so I was ready to eat. That and the fact that I woke up thinking about Jimmy's knockwurst.....I hate when I get a meal stuck in my mind and cannot wait to have it. I even paid a ridiculous price for a 4-knockwurst package (it was Hebrew National Beef Knockwurst, not Nathan's). It's the only knockwurst I can find around here. I can't believe I paid $6.49 for that package of fat hot dogs!

Oh well, nothing else would have satisfied me today so I guess it's a small price to pay for being stuffed right now.

I went 'all out' and made caramelized onion mashed potatoes to go with my knockwurst and sauerkraut. It was all just what I was hungry for!

And this is probably one of the few times you'll see me take a pic of my meal and everything is TOUCHING. I love taking a bite of everything at once so it's OK with me to have it on top of each other.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 9 IMG_20160814_163149563

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

Beth, your knockwurst, mashed potatoes and sauerkraut looks quite delish!  
My mouth is watering!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks! Jimmy's all to blame..... LOL

Crybaby

Crybaby

Looks yummy, Beth. And yes, I did notice everything was touching.

Didn't know that about cheese and heat. We eat everything kind of spicy. For a while after having radiation a second time, Brian found everything hot. But he's back to his normal self and doesn't mention the spiciness of everything anymore. Hence, I'd forgotten to go light on the heat... Only just remembered it when reading about your spicy and non-spicy meal. Oh, well, I'm glad he's back to normal as my cooking sure is.

Those chicken and cheese enchiladas I've been making lately have quite a lot of heat and he loves 'em!

bethk

bethk
Admin

As one of those 'cheese crazies' (as I so fondly call you.....LOL), next time you make something that you think is on the spicy side, take the time to do a little experiment.  Cover whatever it is with cheese and melt it.  Then see if you think the heat is completely dissipated.  

I think any protein has the ability to cool the spice, like sour cream.

Just recently I 'taste tested' a little tiny piece of one of my home grown Thai bird chilis. It's just a little itty bitty red chili ~ but just touching it on my tongue was like a blow torch in my mouth. I grabbed the milk out of the refrigerator, turned off the top and literally stuck my tongue in the milk to soothe the burn. I couldn't even remember how old the milk was, didn't care at that moment, but would have been really sick if it had soured without me checking it. Hahahahaha!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:

Just recently I 'taste tested' a little tiny piece of one of my home grown Thai bird chilis.  It's just a little itty bitty red chili ~ but just touching it on my tongue was like a blow torch in my mouth.  I grabbed the milk out of the refrigerator, turned off the top and literally stuck my tongue in the milk to soothe the burn.  I couldn't even remember how old the milk was, didn't care at that moment, but would have been really sick if it had soured without me checking it.  Hahahahaha!

OML... I have a bag of them in the garage all dried out. They are more potent than a habanero pepper. I love hot, but not that killer pepper heat...
I'm gonna pulverize them, and sprinkle them around the foundation to keep out the insects ( ants ) .

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane picked 90% of the red ones off the plant ~ and then it grew more! I took them all and gave 'em a wash & dry (I wore gloves.....no dummy here!) and then stuffed them into a small shaker bottle, like one that soy sauce comes in. I filled the bottle with vinegar and it's steeping on the countertop. I plan to use it as a seasoning on something like greens. I tasted it and it's got a real 'KICK'! But it's good.

I think those are the chilis that Imelda uses for her Chili Paste that she eats on her meals. Dirk grows them and she grinds them up and cooks them. We all know she's the Queen of Heat here on the forum!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper tonight was so simple. T was at the church all day working the picnic. She came home, and made me Fried onions, kidney beans, and 1/2 rigatoni. Darn, I ate 3/4 of the 1/2 lb. of rigatoni.

She didn't eat because she picked at the picnic.

I just had Spanish burnt peanuts candy coated, and some m&m peanut candy.

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Dane picked 90% of the red ones off the plant ~ and then it grew more!  I took them all and gave 'em a wash & dry (I wore gloves.....no dummy here!) and then stuffed them into a small shaker bottle, like one that soy sauce comes in.  I filled the bottle with vinegar and it's steeping on the countertop.  I plan to use it as a seasoning on something like greens.  I tasted it and it's got a real 'KICK'!  But it's good.

I think those are the chilis that Imelda uses for her Chili Paste that she eats on her meals.  Dirk grows them and she grinds them up and cooks them.  We all know she's the Queen of Heat here on the forum!

My mother used to have a tall narrow bottle full of small green chilies of some kind. They were soaking in vinegar. One sniff made your eyes run. I forget what she used it on, maybe fried okra.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Bugs, it's a common condiment, especially in the South. You'll find that bottle of pickled peppers on just about every restaurant table. I thought it was for the peppers until I discovered the 'shaker' top and then noticed people adding a drop or two of the vinegar to their meal.

As I said, I normally use it on something like greens ~ some people like plain vinegar to brighten up the flavor as lemon juice would also do ~ but we just like the spicy vinegar a bit better.

And it is something that would be added to fried okra, to be sure. Another use is a drop of it on breakfast eggs, like one might use Tabasco. That's one I haven't had the urge to try yet, although I'm not opposed to taco sauce on an omelet.

NormM

NormM

Our dinner last night was a baked Shrimp Scampi, rice and a salad.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 9 DSCN3705_zpslxe1x1bu

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Our dinner last night was a baked Shrimp Scampi, rice and a salad.

I've also made Ina's Shrimp Scampi.....it was easy and really tasty. That's the one with the lemon and white wine, isn't it? Yum!

NormM

NormM

Yes it is. We really liked it too. I used a Korean rice cooking wine which is white but very dry.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yes, Bugs, it's a common condiment, especially in the South.  You'll find that bottle of pickled peppers on just about every restaurant table.  I thought it was for the peppers until I discovered the 'shaker' top and then noticed people adding a drop or two of the vinegar to their meal.

As I said, I normally use it on something like greens ~ some people like plain vinegar to brighten up the flavor as lemon juice would also do ~ but we just like the spicy vinegar a bit better.

And it is something that would be added to fried okra, to be sure.  Another use is a drop of it on breakfast eggs, like one might use Tabasco.  That's one I haven't had the urge to try yet, although I'm not opposed to taco sauce on an omelet.  

I mostly like the powdered peppers or crushed. Recently DD had been buying me pepper infused olive oils. I still like the powdered / crushed, but for an omlet, there is nothing in a hot sauce, I have found better, than Tabasco sauce.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Hi All, it has been a while I did not post here.. but I tried to visit this site everyday, sometimes I got some ideas what to cook, I made some taco, bought some hot dogs and Sauerkraut, and I'm going to make Beth's crunchy potato (would you tell me how you made them again, Beth, it's hard to find the post now  Embarassed  )

I made some stuffed bellpeppers when my parent in-laws came visiting.. I bought 4 colorful bell pepper, each color for each, they were all on sale, 79 cents to 99 cents/each, I stuffed them with some leftover Mexican rice, Jimmy Dean sausage, some finely chopped kale, onion and all the usual stuffs, and I sauteed some Zucaroddles ( zucchini, carrot noodles ), and I toasted some corn cake I made the day before

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 9 21_zpsan2mglq5

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 9 Stuffed%20bellpeppers_zpsj6t6r7i5

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 9 16_zpsdxtcyxmc

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 9 Bakwan%20jagung_zpsjoprgthg

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hi Imelda.
I just said to myself this morning, when reading about peppers and vinegar, "Where Is Imelda?"
I know she is busy and visits here. ( Like Santa Clause ) or the "Easter Bunny!"

I sure do like the look of the stuffed peppers. The corn cake is really looking great.
You take care, and keep up the good cooking.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:Hi All, it has been a while I did not post here.. but I tried to visit this site everyday, sometimes I got some ideas what to cook, I made some taco, bought some hot dogs and Sauerkraut, and I'm going to make Beth's crunchy potato (would you tell me how you made them again, Beth, it's hard to find the post now  Embarassed  )

I made some stuffed bellpeppers when my parent in-laws came visiting.. I bought 4 colorful bell pepper, each color for each, they were all on sale, 79 cents to 99 cents/each, I stuffed them with some leftover Mexican rice, Jimmy Dean sausage, some finely chopped kale, onion and all the usual stuffs, and I sauteed some Zucaroddles ( zucchini, carrot noodles ), and I toasted some corn cake I made the day before

The crispy potatoes were easy to make, Imelda.  I washed/scrubbed my Yukon gold potatoes (any would work, I just happened to have the Yukon golds), I poked a bunch of holes in them to release the steam and wrapped the wet potatoes in a paper towel to microwave ~ approximately 3 minutes full power per potato.  I do them one at a time.  When softened, but not necessarily completely done, I just let them sit on the counter until they are cool enough to handle.  You can peel off the skins if you like or just leave it on, it's entirely up to each person's preference.  Then break the potatoes into chunks, approximately 1-1/2" or smaller (again, personal preference).  I fried them in about 1" of peanut oil (vegetable oil would work fine, too) heated to 350° and turned them so they got crispy and golden brown on all sides.  The important thing is to have the irregular broken edges so you get some parts that are super crunchy and the insides of the chunks of potato are still soft.  When browned well I put them into a paper towel lined bowl (like a deep mixing bowl) to absorb the excess grease.  Then I removed the towel and seasoned the hot potatoes with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and finely chopped thyme & chives - the original recipe called for fresh rosemary ~ so I say, add what ever YOU like, including some finely chopped hot pepper!  I know you and Dirk will love them!

(I didn't even add any chopped herbs when I made them when my sister-in-law came to visit ~ just salt & pepper.)

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 9 IMG_20160811_141845459_HDR

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Boy, they look good Beth. The wings too!....

Today tina has it all figured out. Burgers on the grill, leftover mac salad ( 6 day's old ??? ) I D K ?
And... Pork & Beans from the can. NOoooo! Not Bushes!!... Campbells New Improved Recipe??
Hmm! I wonder what that's all about??...

bethk

bethk
Admin

Somehow, Jimmy, make that leftover mac salad disappear....and NOT by ingesting it! That's past prime, to be sure! Offer to make a small amount of fresh or suggest some corn on the cob....just not that old salad.

I don't think I'm going to cook tonight. I've spent all day steam cleaning the carpet ~ I must be a glutton for punishment. I had borrowed a carpet cleaner from one of the neighbors last spring when they were headed back to Cape Cod and in my mind I was going to 'direct' and Mr. Amazing was going to be the one doing the actual labor. Well, they're going to be back soon and I really wanted to get this off-white berber carpeting cleaned. It's SO filthy with 'travel avenues' showing from the front door to the back.

I got the bedrooms done around the beds and the walk-in closet, the 8' X 10' 'great room' at the back of the house where my computer is housed by the patio doors and the right side of the living room/dining room combo. I've got all the fans on high to help encourage the evaporation and drying. Tomorrow I have to shove everything back in place and move all the rest to the cleaned side of the room to finish up.

I knew if I didn't do the majority of it today I would never finish. But since I'm just left with about a quarter of the entire job I'll get it done. But I'm done for today. I've already taken my 4 Advil and I ate some yogurt w/fruit and the leftover chicken from the other night. I knew I was in serious need of some protein before I collapsed and had to call for help....."HELP! I've fallen and I can't get up!" LOL

So for supper I'm thinking of going out to pick up a burger and bringing it home to have with my Bloody Mary(s)....it's not decided yet if it will be one or two! Depends upon how my back feels at 6:00.

Bugster2

Bugster2

We cleaned our carpets - once. Never again. It just isn't worth it and the carpet isn't as clean as when a pro does it.

It is 101 right now and 88 in the house so I turned on the air. I was beginning to feel sick. Cold, cold sandwiches tonight.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum