Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
Imelda HL
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 19]

26JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:47 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Thanks.... Nope not one shrimp was eaten lol Fixin a pasta salad in the morning. Grilling lobster tails. I hope I dont mess them up. Much bigger than my usual. Guess I'll just have to stand right beside the grill ....

27JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I guess dogs and burgers are for tomorrow....

Grill is heating up for some steaks ( el-cheapo's ) round steak with Montreal smoke seasoning sprinkled on....

Tina is cooking me a baked potato in the microwave oven.

She's going to have a taco in a soft tortilla bowl / cup.

28JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:54 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I also grilled the rest of those baby eggplants so that will be on the menu the coming week.

29JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Jimmy....take that microwaved potato, cut it in half, and 'finish' it off on the grill. Be sure to let the skin side crisp up as well as the cut side. You won't even think it could have been cooked in the microwave when you do that.

I got to have my yummy pork steak on the grill.....Mr. Amazing had a boneless loin chop. I think we're both happy! Well, maybe I'm HAPPIER ~ I made the braised kale with bacon & onion. Need I say more? ((Barb's goin', 'Lawdy, NO, don't say anything else about that vile stuff!' Hahahahaha))

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 IMG_20160703_180529503_HDR

30JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:36 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Oh yeah chop and corn look great and I would have more butter then that ha

31JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Hey, Jimmy....take that microwaved potato, cut it in half, and 'finish' it off on the grill.  Be sure to let the skin side crisp up as well as the cut side.  You won't even think it could have been cooked in the microwave when you do that.

I got to have my yummy pork steak on the grill.....Mr. Amazing had a boneless loin chop.  I think we're both happy!  Well, maybe I'm HAPPIER ~ I made the braised kale with bacon & onion.  Need I say more?  ((Barb's goin', 'Lawdy, NO, don't say anything else about that vile stuff!' Hahahahaha))

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 IMG_20160703_180529503_HDR

Jimmy....take that microwaved potato, cut it in half, and 'finish' it off on the grill.  Be sure to let the skin side crisp up as well as the cut side.

Thanks for the tip Beth. I sure do love the skin charred too!.....Great Idea!!

32JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:08 pm

NormM

NormM

Yesterday a recipe for chicken wings from a friend in Seattle, today Huli Huli chicken from Beth in Florida. There is also a potato salad that claimed to be Japanese style and some green beans with onion, tomatoes and basil from an Italian cookbook.

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 DSCN3613_zpsp66eb0o9

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

33JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Huli Huli chicken.?... I see it here, but honestly Tina and I never heard of it.

Looks good Norm. Japanese potatoes??... I thought the Japanese didn't eat potatoes. Or is that the Chinese??......

34JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:00 pm

NormM

NormM

The recipe said it was an American dish that had been interpreted by someone in Japan and put cucumbers, carrots, onion, boiled egg and uses Japanese mayo and mustard. I just used regular mayo and a German mustard.

You can see the recipes at http://normmatthews.blogspot.com

35JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Huli Huli chicken.?... I see it here, but honestly Tina and I never heard of it.

Looks good Norm. Japanese potatoes??... I thought the Japanese didn't eat potatoes. Or is that the Chinese??......

Jimmy, the Huli Huli Chicken was first mentioned by Bugs and it sounded interesting so I checked it out and found a recipe I've made a number of times. I did learn to cut back on the amount of sugar and up the spicy for our tastes, but it's basically a really sweet BBQ sauce for chicken. But beware! Because of the high sugar content and the ketchup it will burn on to the grill in a heartbeat. That's why I strongly suggest browning it on nonstick foil on the grill.

Here's the recipe I started with:

Huli Huli Chicken

4 – 6 Boneless Chicken Thighs, cleaned of excess fat, cut into chunks
Sauce:
1/4 c. Brown Sugar
1/3 c. Ketchup
2 T. Dry Sherry
1 ¼ t. Grated Ginger
½ t. Garlic Powder
½ t. Onion Powder
1 T. Garlic Chili Paste
1 T. Soy Sauce
½ t. Sesame Oil

Reserve 1/3 c. sauce for basting. Marinate Chicken chunks in sauce for 3 hours or overnight.
One half hour before grilling, drain marinate off chicken. Add 1 T. Canola oil and stir to coat. Grill over med-high flame on a piece of non-stick foil. After turned twice, baste with reserved sauce, allow to caramalize.
Serve with basmati rice.

36JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, I saw the recipe for the crispy oven wings.....very interesting to use baking powder to draw out the moisture and crisp up the chicken. One of these days I will definitely give that one a try!

37JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:51 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Shrimp for breakfast? Makes my gut roll over just thinking about it today. I am sure it is wonderful for fish lovers.

I ran across a recipe that called for sweet chili powder. Huh? I Googled it but didn't find out much other than one brand I have never heard of. Anyone know anything about it?

38JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:22 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:
I ran across a recipe that called for sweet chili powder. Huh? I Googled it but didn't find out much other than one brand I have never heard of. Anyone know anything about it?

I use sweet chili paste or sauce but the only thing I can think of for a sweet chili powder would be a sweet Hungarian paprika......

I did a search and came up with probably the same one you did.....but it does mention the varieties of chili used with the explanation they are 'sweeter' and not as hot. Here is the link:

http://www.spicesinc.com/p-606-sweet-chili-powder.aspx

39JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:20 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thank you! So a combo of ancho and New Mexico chilies plus other spices. Hmmm. I wonder if there is a recipe for mixing your own out there?

40JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:23 am

NormM

NormM

I don't know about sweet chili powder, but I have always considered sweet chili sauce to mean Heinz Chili Sauce.

41JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:34 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Yes Bugs Shrimp and grits is very very much enjoyed for breakfast in the morning in the south and in my house. However that is not what I am using it for.!!!

42JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:04 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 1530578_10151884022963785_1203361159_n

Took this pork shoulder off and out of my cheapa$$ electric smoker. Put it in at 10pm .Almost forgot about it.Then I saw the orange cord plugged in the wall in my LR..As  I have one outside outlet and i  t is used for my freezer.. Twisted Evil

And yes FOIL>>>>>>

I guess I will just pull it apart and bag and tag lol.Not what I planed for dinner.Or for next week..It did not stop me from eating some standing at the stove like a pig tho... pig

43JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:52 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I got up early to start cooking things for toady. I turned on the oven to bake a cake but the oven temp wouldn't go above 260. Chit! So I turn it off, wait a couple of minutes and turn it back on. This time it rises to 350. Good! So I put in my cake and set the timer. The timer goes off and I open the door to find a raw cake. WTH? The oven still says 350. I turn on my toaster oven and finished baking it in there. In the meantime I stick a thermometer in the oven to see what the temp really is: 179. Piece of junk! I refuse to fix it again. I will make do with a toaster oven.
Anybody have a suggestion for a new oven?

44JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:24 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I have a piece of tuna steak thawed in my fridge, I'm planning to cook ( pan-fry ) it in butter for Dirk as I don't like eating tuna fish Mad  ( I'm going to cook spicy whole sea bass for me ), I'm wondering what is good to go with pan-fried tuna steak, any idea? thank you

45JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:29 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Well I know you won't do anything about it but I absolutely love love mine. Biggest oven you can get . Perfect. Has no coilin the bottom and the self cleaning so easy!!! Push clean and the door locks and no fumes and perfect clean in 3hrs . Cheap as far as what you paid.Best $700. I have spent in a while. I love it.

46JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:48 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Don't keep me in suspense: what brand is it???

47JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:13 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Bugs you must not read my posts and photos lol I know I have posted it several times.
LG . Lowes

48JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:24 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Gas, electric, dual fuel?
Sorry, I just can't remember everything I have seen on this site.

49JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OMG, Barb.....you put the hunk-O-pork in the smoker at 10 last night and then did the (literal) set-it-and-forget-it ??? Boy, you would have been po'd if you would have discovered it at Thursday! LOL

We have to head out to the airport to pick up DD#2 and GS. They don't get in until 9 p.m. so we're going to head that way and stop at Buffalo Wild Wings for a small late supper

50JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:09 pm

NormM

NormM

Ribs were on sale for less than $7.00 a slab so I got two and smoked one and did the other like Charlie likes, a Korean spicy recipe. This is the smoked ones.

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 2 DSCN3618_zpsspjjc22r

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum