Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS

+3
Barbara101
UNCLE JIMMY
Bugster2
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 15]

201DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 552376_10151271776407166_1368734026_n

202DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Beautiful, Barb! You always take so much time layering your vegetables.

I don't have that kind of patience.....I'd end up with a pot of rattatoie (sp?:??) Same stuff but just chunked up and simmered away for a bit.

But your tatin (is that what it's called?) is lovely.

203DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:36 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Rat a too ie..lol.. Yeah I have more time then sense..I was going to do it in the oven....BUT it/oven needs cleaned and it is to hot in my house to turn it on...

204DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina went to the Post Office to mail the Christmas cards; and on the way home, she is stopping at the Wendy's to get us some chili.

205DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:46 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

How is Gabe doing at rehab? Is he cooperating or is he being stubborn and obstinate?

206DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:39 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:How is Gabe doing at rehab?  Is he cooperating or is he being stubborn and obstinate?

Well....the man is learning a lesson in life that teaches one that the grass ain't greener on the other side of the fence, all of the time.
He didn't realize how much better it is here, at Jimmy & Tina's Resort Home for the Aged.
Here, he gets to sleep in his own private room and retire to his bed with a warm electric blanket, a night light dimly lighted...and his own thermostat to keep his room at 90 degrees if he wishes.
Here, he wakes at 10:30 -- 11:00 am , and comes to sit at his breakfast nook, with cheerio's / fresh banana / fresh coffee, and a Sarah Lee coffee crumb cake.

At the rehab nursing home... It's up at 8:00.... washed and cleaned and breakfast at 10:00 am. Whatever slop they serve. cold coffee, wet limp toast, and cold scrambled eggs.....or a cold wet, limp waffle etc.
Lunch he said was a horrible kielbasa and bread and zucchini. All three he won't eat. No pork for him.

It is warm there, but drafty at times. He sits with people in the tv room, and gets to watch whatever is on. He has no control to change the channels like he does here at J&T's. LOL
The temp in J&T's living room is 78 tp 80º all day for his comfort.

There, he goes for PT and excersise to strengthen his legs. Here, he sleeps in his electric recliner chair most of the day while watching TV. No use of his legs, and would rather pee in his depends diaper, rather than walk to the bathroom to pee.

His brother, and sister say he doesn't know how good he has got it here with Tina and Jimmy.

He is a very self centered person; complains about everything, and says that it IS Tina's job to take care of him. ( Where he gets that bs? I don't know!" ) Evil or Very Mad

He is due to come back here at J&T's on the 29th of the month.

207DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sounds like there needs to be some 'rules' when he returns to the J&T Home for the Hopeless.....

You and Tina need to post signs to remind him of the rules ~ my Grandfather did well with that method after being in and out of the hospital multiple times. Old men seem to think they are always 'master of the manor' even when it's not THEIR manor. That point needs to be driven home.

And remind Tina you cannot pour out of an empty cup ~ she must take care of herself first and not allow Gabe to bully her into being his personal slave.

208DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:36 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Been there done that..best for all involved when  Mom went to nursing care..

Being a care giver takes its toll. Not good..

Sounds like there needs to be some 'rules' when he returns to the J&T Home for the Hopeless...

I do not see that working..

209DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:00 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Have some leftover shrimp and I keep moving that half bag of dinner fries around the freezer ,so I will eat them...Boom.....

210DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a split/pounded chicken breast, mushrooms, spinach & peeled/cubed butternut squash prepped in anticipation of supper. Haven't decided how I'm going to put it all together yet......still thinkin'.

And, with my luck, I'll change my mind and make burgers......

LOL

211DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:32 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

feeling like a salad for supper...like a greek salad with chicken....

Have some more ground beef for goulash, but I think I will freeze it..I bought it from the butcher on Saturday. They are closed Sunday and Monday......I plan for a certain food, and then do not have it..so fickle...

212DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:36 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I am surprised you use gd beef for goulash.

213DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Sounds like there needs to be some 'rules' when he returns to the J&T Home for the Hopeless.....

You and Tina need to post signs to remind him of the rules ~ my Grandfather did well with that method after being in and out of the hospital multiple times.  Old men seem to think they are always 'master of the manor' even when it's not THEIR manor.  That point needs to be driven home.

And remind Tina you cannot pour out of an empty cup ~ she must take care of herself first and not allow Gabe to bully her into being his personal slave.  

I'm gonna make a big sign, and point it toward the front door.

}}}}----->>>> This way to "Bad Shepherd Nursing Home!"
"All the kielbasa and wet waffles you can eat!"

214DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:I am surprised you use gd beef for goulash.
Goulash is different for many.....kind of like the 'chili' conversations.

I know the kind of Goulash Cookingirl is referring to ~ ground beef, elbow macaroni, tomatoes & sauce.

Others make Goulash with something like a chuck roast ~ long simmered with a bunch of stuff.

But Cookingirl's variety was the kind I grew up on when I was in high school.  Had it at least once every couple weeks in their menu rotation. The lunch lady who posted the menus called it Goulash. Another lunch lady always referred to it as 'Johnny Marzetti'.

Not sayin' this is a recipe I'd use, just putting it here as an example:

http://www.foodily.com/r/R7iUDPZjc-ground-meat-goulash-with-macaroni-by-rachael-ray

And here's a link to another kind:

http://www.foodily.com/r/z1Ekq7CjHV-hungarian-goulash-by-food52

Last edited by bethk on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

215DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I think today for supper, I will make chicken soup ( with broth only )
and with celery and onions, with Klusky Egg Noodles. I have sloppy Joe's leftover to go along.

216DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ohhhh, Jimmy. That sound really good. (I'd mix up my own noodles ~ just sayin'......LOL)

217DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Ohhhh, Jimmy.  That sound really good.  (I'd mix up my own noodles ~ just sayin'......LOL)

Yeah! home made noodles would be better, but we found a brand of Klusky noodles at a specialty store ( oriental ) that is yellow from the eggs yolks and so square cut and short.

Tina needs easy on the tummy food.

218DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:29 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Yeah I make it like my Mom did Chuck chunks low and slow. Sounds good humm might have to make some lol

219DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina's Maternal grandmother made the Hungarian Goulash with pork pieces cut small; only because beef was way too expensive to buy.

She was a chef for a royal family in Austria / Hungary till she came to America at 26 y/o. She was German / Austro Hungarian.

As a matter of fact, Tina never had a hamburger made with beef till she came out of high school, and went to work full time in the supermarkets. Pork or veal was always cheaper meat, believe it or not.

I don't like goulash the way Tina makes it, because it is more on the soupy side.
I like when she makes it with the ground beef, and adds elbow macaroni to it. Ummmm!

220DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:20 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I don't like goulash the way Tina makes it, because it is more on the soupy side.

I would not like that either...Mine is nice and thick . I like wide noodles but I can not eat noodles now..white flour and to high in carb..

221DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

DD#2 called this morning and said she was at her local Marshall's store and she found the Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Bean Paste I told her about. She said it was the first time she's seen it. So, I thought, what the heck, I ought to take a ride over to my TJ Maxx to see what they have in for the holidays.....YEA! I got myself another jar of the Vanilla Bean Paste and a bottle of the regular vanilla. That's good stuff. And at TJ Maxx it's really affordable.

Of course, they also had a can of the Szeged Rib Rub, which I've not seen before, so I picked it up to give it a try. AND.....as I was walking toward the check-out, waiting in line, I saw a package of dry roasted pumpkin seeds ~ just what I wanted! The pumpkin seeds made me decided to oven roast my cubed butternut squash for supper and use the excess ('cause there will be a lot ~ it was a very large squash) for butternut squash soup. Ohhhh, that sounds so good. It was the last time!

222DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:51 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

cheers DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 3267860543

223DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I drove over to the one by the interstate and they had nothing.Small store. I get more deals etc at the Marshalls by me.

224DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:09 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Actually in my part of the area, it is really called, "American Chop Suey"...so it is just ground beef in a tomato sauce mixed with elbow pasta. We add a pinch of cayenne..almost like a very mild chili....

ended up picking up a cooked chicken breast and some fresh broccoli....

My car started acting up----oil light periodically started lighting up; when I started it at home and then when I started it at the grocery store.

Kind of glad I live in an apartment building.
My neighbor and her husband were getting in their van to leave. They saw me stop, well in advance of my parking spot. I wanted to check to see if I was leaking any oil..

The oil percentage monitor stated that I had 40% oil....so I was confused. I was ready to check the oil myself...My dad taught me how to.
The dealer ship is just down the street from where I live.

My neighbor and her husband were concerned about me..very helpful people.
Immediately, the husband, Bob, came over to check the oil. He insisted on doing it. To my horror, the oil was extremely low...
He went into his trunk, grabbed the oil that he had, and put it in for me..It was the last of his oil..

I called the dealership, made an appointment for first thing tomorrow morning....

I have had this car since 2008, brand new, and never had this happen to me...I do not do much driving...only 46,000 on a 2008 Honda Accord....

So, after what I did this morning; shaking rugs, dusting, vacuuming, picking up bathroom, and then grocery shopping, I was wiped out.
The dealership said I could wait until tomorrow. I had a choice of going right over and waiting or having first thing in the morning.

If the oil light is on when I start it, I will call AAA for a tow...

wiped out now...always something this time of year...

Now I have to replace the oil for my neighbor, and get him something as a thank you...

225DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS  - Page 9 Empty Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:12 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

bethk wrote:
Goulash is different for many.....kind of like the 'chili' conversations.

I know the kind of Goulash Cookingirl is referring to ~ ground beef, elbow macaroni, tomatoes & sauce.

Others make Goulash with something like a chuck roast ~ long simmered with a bunch of stuff.

But Cookingirl's variety was the kind I grew up on when I was in high school.  Had it at least once every couple weeks in their menu rotation.  The lunch lady who posted the menus called it Goulash.  Another lunch lady always referred to it as 'Johnny Marzetti'.  

Not sayin' this is a recipe I'd use, just putting it here as an example:

http://www.foodily.com/r/R7iUDPZjc-ground-meat-goulash-with-macaroni-by-rachael-ray

And here's a link to another kind:

http://www.foodily.com/r/z1Ekq7CjHV-hungarian-goulash-by-food52

Yes, Beth you are correct.
I have made the Hungarian Goulash before; with the paprika and sour cream--so good and soo bad for you!!

I prefer the one I grew up on...ground beef, onion, green pepper, tomato sauce and paste, pinch of cayenne, and elbow macaroni...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum