Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??"

+5
NormM
Bugster2
Barbara101
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 19 of 20]

451(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The same neighbors who brought me peaches also brought me some nice, meaty tomatoes. I decided to forgo BLT's and make a couple stuffed tomatoes with some of the stuff from the vegetable drawer and some rice. It's in the oven now. The taste I took seemed pretty good. I'll see when it's done.

452(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I have got to find something for dinner tonight. The trouble is that I am missing ingredients to make the things I think of. I don't want to go to the store either. I hate this when it happens. I suppose we could always have burgers....

By the way, did you see where Cooking and Chefs catalog have merged?

Yeah bugs.... like one day Tina bought french fries from Wendys, and the girl forgot to put the ketchup in the bag. I looked in the fridge, and I flipped when the ketchup squeeze bottle was empty. Grrrrrr.... Then there we were checking on the door for those straggler packets! I found like 3. NOT enough.

Tina was making a cake, and needed 2 cups of sugar. You should have seen us emptying those little packets that we have jars full, just to get two cups.
Then that night, I was looking for aluminum foil. that we stock up on when on salt...hahahaha...and there was a 5 lb bag of sugar on the shelf.

453(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:The same neighbors who brought me peaches also brought me some nice, meaty tomatoes.  I decided to forgo BLT's and make a couple stuffed tomatoes with some of the stuff from the vegetable drawer and some rice.  It's in the oven now.  The taste I took seemed pretty good.  I'll see when it's done.
I LOVE Stuffed tomatoes....

Maria makes them for me, and she eats none because she hates tomatoes.
She used bread like filling.
I have to ask her if she would try rice filling next time.
Sounds good Beth.

454(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a delicious zucchini stew, with tomatoes, and tiny tiny meatballs.
She drove to Bakery in Ledgewood 30 minutes to get Anthony and Sons Italian bread to eat with the zucchini.
She made a big pot, and gave like 3 quarts to the neighbor with two loaves of bread.

The zucchini was a huge like 24 inches long, and 5 inches in diameter. I thought it would be tough, but it actually is perfect.

455(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I LOVE Stuffed tomatoes....

I have to ask her if she would try rice filling next  time.
Sounds good Beth.

I used the same basic filling that I use for stuffing zucchini....more or less.  Actually, it's all determined by what I have available in the refrigerator.

But for tonight I made some rice in the microwave (1/2 + c. rice w/1 cup broth) - and I didn't even need that much (so I've got about 1/2 c. leftover for something else....maybe some scrambled eggs).  I sauteed some onion, celery, red pepper and the insides of the tomatoes I scooped out - minus the seeds and icky stuff.  I thawed a burger and broke that up to brown up with the vegetables.  I seasoned with s&p and some Italian seasoning.  I thought it needed a bit of liquid but I didn't want to open a whole can of tomato sauce for just a bit so I ended up using some of my Bloody Mary Mix (clever, huh?).  Then it looked too liquidy so I sprinkled in some seasoned bread crumbs.  

Finally, I stirred in a bit of shredded mozzarella that was in the drawer and packed the two tomatoes.  Leftover filling got put into a casserole dish around the tomatoes.  A bit more crumbs on top with a drizzle of evoo and into the oven for an hour.

We'll see how it looks in a bit....

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Stuffed%20Tomatoes

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 07.29.15

The very BEST part was the crunchy rice mixture from the bottom of the casserole dish.....YUM! Oh, and Jimmy, if Maria makes it for you be sure to tell her to be sure to salt the inside of the tomatoes. I seasoned one and not the other and the one with the salt liberally sprinkled on the inside had way more flavor than the unseasoned one.

456(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:59 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 11752549_1673857506166546_7107090437209078147_n

Nice beth..I love stuffed tomato. with tuna salad or chicken salad or like you did with breadcrumbs and cheese.so many ways to fix them,

I had these blossoms looking at me for  week now so I had better fix them lol.I am fond of them now..so cheap and for the most part free.........Oh and I ate more then 4.lol lol.I know I will be eating a snack later..

i guess I could post this in hows your day but I am here.so.....  My DS has been bugging me so much to come up there. I just do not want to but he does not understand I am no spring chicken and it is just to much for me to go..The pets.. Not putting them in kennel. Not having a stranger come in. Not going to fly... Not driving again.. My back is really out,I can barely stand for 10 minutes and have to sit..Pain pills do nothing.I have dry eye and my vision is poor. Not fun...

I want to move from here so freaking bad and can't...I stay in the house due to the heat....October can not get here soon enough..Ok I am done venting.. Sad Sad (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 1838020472

457(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tell DS you're in need of a 'Fairy Godmother'.....

Maybe he can put an ad in the paper and find one for you.

Wish I could help....you really need to move closer to him. In addition to having support closer, the weather would be better for you. Tell him you'd like to find someplace closer to him. See if he'd help you SERIOUSLY look. I'm sure he'd like it so he wouldn't have to worry so much. Just sayin'....

458(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:47 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks for the link. It will be fun to see how it works.

Speaking of works, I have been asked to test prototypes from the Shark company. I also have to sign a release of liability. I would appreciate any thoughts and warnings about this. I don't get to keep things but I get to try them out and then give the company my review. I can't talk about any of the things I am testing either. What do I get out of it? A token vacuum cleaner bag or filter, maybe more. It might be interesting. Then again it might be a pain.

459(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sounds like a scam to me....JMO

Anytime I was asked to 'review' a product it was mine to keep.

Be careful....very careful.

460(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I LOVE Stuffed tomatoes....

I have to ask her if she would try rice filling next  time.
Sounds good Beth.

I used the same basic filling that I use for stuffing zucchini....more or less.  Actually, it's all determined by what I have available in the refrigerator.

But for tonight I made some rice in the microwave (1/2 + c. rice w/1 cup broth) - and I didn't even need that much (so I've got about 1/2 c. leftover for something else....maybe some scrambled eggs).  I sauteed some onion, celery, red pepper and the insides of the tomatoes I scooped out - minus the seeds and icky stuff.  I thawed a burger and broke that up to brown up with the vegetables.  I seasoned with s&p and some Italian seasoning.  I thought it needed a bit of liquid but I didn't want to open a whole can of tomato sauce for just a bit so I ended up using some of my Bloody Mary Mix (clever, huh?).  Then it looked too liquidy so I sprinkled in some seasoned bread crumbs.  

Finally, I stirred in a bit of shredded mozzarella that was in the drawer and packed the two tomatoes.  Leftover filling got put into a casserole dish around the tomatoes.  A bit more crumbs on top with a drizzle of evoo and into the oven for an hour.

We'll see how it looks in a bit....

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Stuffed%20Tomatoes

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 07.29.15

The very BEST part was the crunchy rice mixture from the bottom of the casserole dish.....YUM!  Oh, and Jimmy, if Maria makes it for you be sure to tell her to be sure to salt the inside of the tomatoes.  I seasoned one and not the other and the one with the salt liberally sprinkled on the inside had way more flavor than the unseasoned one.

Oh great looking. Thanks!..... I see the stems on the tomato. I love to chew the stems. There is a great earthy flavor in them. Ummmmm!

461(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:24 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Sounds like a scam to me....JMO

Anytime I was asked to 'review' a product it was mine to keep.

Be careful....very careful.

These are prototypes, not the finished product. I don't get to keep them. This is the Company that is asking me, so that is legit. Still thinking about it.

462(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:11 pm

NormM

NormM

We had Korean pork and Panzanella salad.  We also had some rice, kim che and zucchini.  I had bought one zucchini to make for myself while the kids were in the Ozarks last weekend but didn't so I made it today.  It was a small little dish but it went around OK. It was sliced thin, cooked in oil until browned then added a little garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 DSCN2776_zpsramzkxxh

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 DSCN2774_zpstk0rnvng

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

463(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:15 pm

NormM

NormM

Beth & Barbara, those both looks good. I love stuffed tomatoes but I have never had squash blossoms.

464(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:50 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Avocadosalmon5

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Avocadosalmon2

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Avocadosalmon4

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Avocadosalmon

1 avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced
a couple of cherry tomatoes, quartered (for some color)
1/4 small red onion, sliced
2 mild hot peppers, seeded and deveined, diced or sliced
juice from 2  lemons
3 tbs olive oil
2 tbs finely chopped parsley
kosher salt

Lightly mix the avocado slices in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and season with kosher salt. Refrigerate up to 2 hours before serving.

465(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No supper tonight....huge breakfast, late lunch out with Lyn (chicken salad on crossant and fruit salad).

Just not hungry.

466(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:26 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:No supper tonight....huge breakfast, late lunch out with Lyn (chicken salad on crossant and fruit salad).

Just not hungry.
silent silent silent silent silent silent silent silent silent silent silent silent Hmmm?

Thirsty??? Wink

467(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:52 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had teriyaki burgers that were marinated over night.
I did them on the grill.... Had them with cheese, onions, and TP's Sweet hot pickles. Then I had like 6 coconut cookie bars with coffee. My favorite cookies.
I was so full, I plopped on the recliner, and Sleep

Only got 1 hour sleep......had to make sure Tina was up at 4:30 am, to drive the son and DIL to Newark Airport. They went to CA for vacation. I followed them on the flight tracking on the computer screen.
They landed at LAX 1:42 E/T. Last contact, was a text pic of the Hollywood sign in the woods. They were on way to some Hollywood Museum or something like that. Nice!! Sunday thru Wednesday, they stay in San Francisco. I'm sure they will have some great eating experiences! God bless them!

468(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:33 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had teriyaki burgers that were marinated over night.
I did them on the grill.... Had them with cheese, onions, and TP's Sweet hot pickles. Then I had like 6 coconut cookie bars with coffee. My favorite cookies.
I was so full, I plopped on the recliner, and  Sleep

Only got 1 hour sleep......had to make sure Tina was up at 4:30 am, to drive the son and DIL to Newark Airport. They went to CA for vacation. I followed them on the flight tracking on the computer screen.
They landed at LAX 1:42  E/T. Last contact, was a text pic of the Hollywood sign in the woods. They were on way to some Hollywood Museum or something like that. Nice!!   Sunday thru Wednesday, they stay in San Francisco. I'm sure they will have some great eating experiences! God bless them!  

They are out in my part of the woods. Have them try a Tommy's burger, an old Los Angeles staple. If they want to know where else to go, let me know. Maybe I can help.

469(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:44 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had teriyaki burgers that were marinated over night.
I was so full, I plopped on the recliner, and  Sleep

They landed at LAX 1:42  E/T. Last contact, was a text pic of the Hollywood sign in the woods. They were on way to some Hollywood Museum or something like that. Nice!!   Sunday thru Wednesday, they stay in San Francisco. I'm sure they will have some great eating experiences! God bless them!  

They are out in my part of the woods. Have them try a Tommy's burger, an old Los Angeles staple. If they want to know where else to go, let me know. Maybe I can help.

Thanks bugs; Appreciate the offer to help out..... Yeah!....it's amazing that with communications of today, we can be in touch so well, and as if we are not even separated by so many thousands of miles.

I remember when we got married, we left for honeymoon ( huh ) in Cape Cod MASS. 1 week, and when we got back ( driving ), we find dad sick and walking with crutches. There were no instant communications like today!
I remember the pay phone call to home, and asking for person to person for yourself, and mom would say, :no, he is not home now, he went out!"
That way, mom would know we made it to our destination ok! No charge, and we got our Dime back. Very Happy

470(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:16 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, Jimmy, saving up so you could make an anticipated long distance call....like when our children were born and Dane wanted to call his father in Florida. Had to add that cost to the budget! So much easier today.

I hope the kids have a fabulous time. SF is my favorite city to visit. Love spending days walking in Chinatown and down by the wharf. One of my favorite memories was touring Alcatraz. So spooky. (and, yes, the Feds let me off the island!)

471(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:21 am

NormM

NormM

When I was in Germany, in the Army, mom wrote two letters and I got the second one a couple days before the first one.  It said something about the car getting out of the shop after the crash and my sister was in the hospital.  The first letter said someone backed into them in the parking lot at church and put a little dent in the fender and my sister went to the emergency room a couple days later with something completely minor and unrelated.

472(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:38 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

In our house, long distance calls were a no-no. My parents would only stay on long enough to get their message said. My father would pitch a fit if the call took longer than a minute. Those were also the days before cell phones and beepers. When my father was on call, telephone use was forbidden because the hospital couldn't get through. Talk about putting a cramp in your social life. He was too cheap to put in a second line.

473(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:44 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yeah, Jimmy, saving up so you could make an anticipated long distance call....like when our children were born and Dane wanted to call his father in Florida.  Had to add that cost to the budget!  So much easier today.

I hope the kids have a fabulous time.  SF is my favorite city to visit.  Love spending days walking in Chinatown and down by the wharf.  One of my favorite memories was touring Alcatraz.  So spooky.  (and, yes, the Feds let me off the island!)

It was a happy day for my Grandmom on her birthday, when mom and dad would connect the call to her daughter (dads sister ) in OREGON.... way way way far away..... When connected, mom would say,"Happy Birthday Mom, Talk to your daughter!".....
Then the tears from crying ( all the while Dad is prompting her to start talking ) and then the SCREAMING LOUDLY because it was So FAR away!.....
It was so funny..... And the truth of the matter....was they wrote each other regularly. That was back when families were so much together.

I think the total cost for the 6 minute call was like $9.50. 3x the cost of the entire phone bill for the month.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah Beth, how'd you get off the island?? Just think,....you could have worked in the kitchen.

474(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:When I was in Germany,  in the Army, mom wrote two letters and I got the second one a couple days before the first one.  It said something about the car getting out of the shop after the crash and my sister was in the hospital.  The first letter said someone backed into them in the parking lot at church and put a little dent in the fender and my sister went to the emergency room a couple days later with something completely minor and unrelated.

That's what we called "Delayed Action"....!

I remember people going to the movie house as we called it, just to catch up on the news of what was going on in the world, and the actual seeing it in action on the news reel! .....

I got a kick out of this one.....and it is a silent one. The part where the girls ride the race track horses is funny... to think, NO seatbelts, and hold on for dear life.
Then the risk of getting those long dresses caught in the mechanisms...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH7ON4JiD-I

475(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I braised a piece of pork steak in the last of my Asian marinade and steamed a sweet potato.

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 19 07.31.15

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 19 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum