Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??"

+5
NormM
Bugster2
Barbara101
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 20]

226(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn & I went out for lunch today and when I do that I seldom want a big meal for supper. So I decided to use some of the leftover chicken breast from yesterday to make Farfale, Chicken & Peas in a Parmesan Cream Herb Sauce. I probably should have made a small salad to go along with it but I couldn't finish my serving as it was. Salad tomorrow maybe.....

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 07.15.15

227(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

All done. Stuffed cabbages were great.
Tina made mac and cheese too. I had that with hot sauce!

228(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yer killin' me with the talk about stuffed cabbage.....

229(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:14 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yer killin' me with the talk about stuffed cabbage.....

Thanks Beth! Yeah, they really hit the spot with us because we hadn't had them in a few months.
I like the idea that she freezes them uncooked, and then as we need them, we take what we will eat at a meal. Today, she cooked 4 large and three small ones which was perfect. Then she had filling leftover; so she just made meatballs and placed them on top the rest of cabbage rolls. The big plus, was the cabbage was fresh, sweet, and great tasting. Nothing worse than cabbage that tastes like skunk cabbage! LOL

230(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:23 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, you're right on point when you talk about getting 'fresh' cabbage. This is the right time of year to accomplish that. The flavor is so much better, although in the winter, when other fresh vegetables aren't always available, even 'old' cabbage can be tasty.

A friend of mine swears her 'cabbage roll casserole', the one where you layer chopped cabbage and the meat/rice mixture, is just as good as 'real' cabbage rolls. It just doesn't have the same flavor although all the ingredients are the same. There's something about rolling those leaves around the meat mixture that makes it taste just right. I know it's more work, but it's well worth it. And, actually, when you get going and make up your mind, it's just a bit of extra work that's well worth the reward (especially when you make extras to freeze).

231(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:49 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Boy, you're right on point when you talk about getting 'fresh' cabbage.  This is the right time of year to accomplish that.  The flavor is so much better, although in the winter, when other fresh vegetables aren't always available, even 'old' cabbage can be tasty.

A friend of mine swears her 'cabbage roll casserole', the one where you layer chopped cabbage and the meat/rice mixture, is just as good as 'real' cabbage rolls.  It just doesn't have the same flavor although all the ingredients are the same.  There's something about rolling those leaves around the meat mixture that makes it taste just right.  I know it's more work, but it's well worth it.  And, actually, when you get going and make up your mind, it's just a bit of extra work that's well worth the reward (especially when you make extras to freeze).

Tina made that cabbage roll casserole once... It was pushed around for a bit.... and never no more. LOL

232(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

"SMACK"..... That is one big lip smack I made thinking about Beth's Inspiration of grilled burgers, with carmelized onions on top. I don't have my order of sweet hot pickles through Walmart. They sent me an e-mail, that my order had been detained, and they are looking to either cancel or inform me of a new ship date. I am waiting, and if by the end of the week, I hear nothing from them....I will write a letter to their corporate noting they rolled back the price, but they also rolled back customer relations. Someone is NOT doing their job.

And Walmart wants to compete with Amazon??.... they got off on the wrong track as far as I'm concerned!

233(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Geeze, Jimmy....IF ONLY we lived closer. I could meet Tina 'half-way' and bring you as many TP Sweet Hots and Wickles you could eat.

Dane FINALLY came up with a supper idea. It was either he make a reasonable suggestion or there was going to be no supper tonight. I was done making suggestions only to have them 'vetoed'.

So, pan fried cod, crispy yukon gold potato rounds and steamed green beans. The potatoes got a head start in the microwave and then cut into thick rounds and browned in some evoo/butter. Boy, were they good! The cod was advertised as 'fresh ~ never frozen' and, this time, I think they may have gotten it right. No smell of fish in the house. I patted the filet dry with paper towels, then slathered on some Hellmann's and seasoned with s&p. A light sprinkle of panko and then a quick saute in a medium hot cast iron skillet. (OK, so MAYBE I broke it removing it from the pan....) It was pretty tasty.

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 07.16.15

234(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:54 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Looks great Beth.

235(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:44 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Zucchinicrostini3

Zucchini Crostini. For now. Glass of white wine..I also made tian. it is in the oven.

236(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Zucchinicrostini3

Zucchini Crostini. For now. Glass of white wine..I also made tian. it is in the oven.

Looks crunchy Barb!.... and yummy!

237(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Mmmmmm ~ Wonderfully crisp baguette with the scent of evoo, a schmeer of CREAM CHEESE (see? I cannot even bring myself to type what you REALLY used.) and roasted zucchini with fresh basil.

Did I guess right?

Your tian always looks so beautiful.....you have WAY more patience than I do.

238(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made a mistake a few days ago, when I had mentioned Tina read where if you salt beans before cooking or as they are cooking to get soft, they will harden.
Well I was wrong. It was green string beans or pod beans. She just made the Greek style beans, and they cooked in no time flat. Then she seasoned them.
It worked. The beans are perfect

239(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:29 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Tian4

240(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I cook the tender green beans (known in Ohio as Blue Lake beans) - I always season with salt when I cook them. It might be different with Southern Pole Beans, I don't know about those.

I try to leave a bit of crunch in my beans (except tonight when I cooked them and then let them sit with the lid on a little longer than I should have.....).

241(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:28 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Greek style beans.

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 4o8463

Burgers from fresh ground London Broil. No fat. Flame broiled and cheesed over.

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 MfvFJp

then..... Baked Beans by Bush Beans,

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Ip8i7z

and Fried mac and cheese in butter, till crisped.

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 DYmB9r

242(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:00 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

a schmeer of CREAM  CHEESE ...   lol      It was ricotta , bogo thing so I am using it. made up some for the bottom of my tein too.

243(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane's sister came to stay for a couple days to have a 'get-away' so I decided to make something she could copy for her husband. She loves when I show her how to make something 'new-to-her'.

Krafty Crescent Lasagne.....Crescent roll dough with layers of seasoned ground beef and cheese

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Krafty%20Crescent%20Lasagne

I only made a half recipe because it was just for the 3 of us. The original recipe calls for 2 rolls of Crescent rolls and makes enough for 5 - 6 people. I don't like it leftover (the crescent rolls do not reheat well) so the half recipe was perfect.

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 07.17.15

244(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:25 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Looks good...

Leftover for me.. (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 3470128989

245(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Dane's sister came to stay for a couple days to have a 'get-away' so I decided to make something she could copy for her husband.  She loves when I show her how to make something 'new-to-her'.

Krafty Crescent Lasagne.....Crescent roll dough with layers of seasoned ground beef and cheese

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Krafty%20Crescent%20Lasagne

I only made a half recipe because it was just for the 3 of us.  The original recipe calls for 2 rolls of Crescent rolls and makes enough for 5 - 6 people.  I don't like it leftover (the crescent rolls do not reheat well) so the half recipe was perfect.

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 07.17.15

Looks super good Beth! Kinda reminds me of those Pasties. The meat and onion and potato filled pockets the church groups make.

246(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had hot dogs for supper. No dessert ....yet.

247(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:26 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Let me guess....KK's and coffee.

248(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Let me guess....KK's and coffee.

Close! I did look for KK's but only in freezer. Coffee and Sarah Lee coffee cake, and then two Stella d Oro breakfast treats, S's cookies.
OOooops!.... I forgot. An ice cream sandwich too.

249(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:42 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

What kind of Sarah Lee coffee cake? I am partial to the butter cake. You know what I really miss is Sarah Lee's frosted brownies. They don't sell them out here any more. I used to be able to get them at a restaurant supply but they stopped carrying them. I loved their frosted chocolate cake that came in the 6 by 9 foil pan, but all I see now is their carrot cake. Smart & Final has a huge slab of it for sale and I bought one time but it didn't taste the same and was all dried out and the chocolate had picked up a freezer taste. I think their new Hostess copycat things are awful. So dry you could blow the crumbs across the room.

250(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:What kind of Sarah Lee coffee cake? I am partial to the butter cake. You know what I really miss is Sarah Lee's frosted brownies. They don't sell them out here any more. I used to be able to get them at a restaurant supply but they stopped carrying them. I loved their frosted chocolate cake that came in the 6 by 9 foil pan, but all I see now is their carrot cake. Smart & Final has a huge slab of it for sale and I bought one time but it didn't taste the same and was all dried out and the chocolate had picked up a freezer taste. I think their new Hostess copycat things are awful. So dry you could blow the crumbs across the room.

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 10 Crumb-cakes_0
I'm sorry....they are called crumb cakes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum