Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Healthy One-Pot Meals

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Healthy One-Pot Meals Empty Healthy One-Pot Meals Wed May 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I was watching the Today Show with Hoda and Kathy Lee this morning and there were three entries in this "healthy one-pot meal" recipe contest that Joy Bauer held.  They seemed to like all of the three dishes but one was not only pretty but they raved about it and they declared it the winner.  I thought I'd post it here, as it looked really good and they were gaga over it.  Brian doesn't eat shrimp so I probably won't make it anytime soon but thought I'd share it with you guys (there's a picture on The Today Show website if you want to see it):

Paprika Shrimp and Sausage Quinoa Paella
Courtesy of Jackie Dodd (from Hoda & Kathy Lee)

Ingredients
12 large shrimp, peeled and devined
1/4 tsp sweet paprika
1/4 tsp smoked paprika, plus 1/4 tsp, divided
1/4 tsp onion powder
2 tbsp olive oil
8 ounces pre-cooked low fat chicken sausage, sliced
1/2 cup diced onion
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large beefsteak tomato, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 tbsp tomato paste
Pinch saffron (about 10 threads)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup peas (frozen is fine)
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped

Preparation
Place shrimp in a small bowl, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. sweet paprika, 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika and 1/4 tsp. onion powder, toss to coat.

Heat olive oil in a 12-inch stainless steel skillet (with a lid) over medium-high heat, cook shrimp until seared, about 3 minutes per side (don't over cook). Remove from pan, set aside.

Add chicken sausage, cook until browned, remove from pan, set aside.

Add the onion and bell peppers, cook, stirring frequently, until onions and peppers have softened, about 6 to 8 minutes.

Add garlic, tomatoes and tomato paste, stir until combined.

Add saffron, remaining 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika, salt, pepper, chicken broth and peas, and bring to a simmer. Add quinoa, stir and evenly distribute quinoa. Add the lid to the pan at a vent, adjust heat to maintain a simmer. Cook without stirring for 15 to 17 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked through.

Place the shrimp and sausage on top, replace lid and cook for 1 minute or until shrimp and sausage is warmed.

Sprinkle with parsley just prior to serving.

Makes 4 servings

Last edited by Crybaby on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Healthy One-Pot Meals Empty Re: Healthy One-Pot Meals Wed May 15, 2013 5:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle, why not switch out the shrimp for chicken strips?

That sounds good. I've copied & saved (thank you much!) and as soon as I'm home in Ohio (that's where my quinoa is....) I think I'm going to give it a try. Dane's not a big fan of the quinoa but that's because it's not something his grandmother made, lol.

3Healthy One-Pot Meals Empty Re: Healthy One-Pot Meals Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:27 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Am laughing, as Brian doesn't like quinoa and he doesn't like peas -- this just SCREAMS for peas!

4Healthy One-Pot Meals Empty Re: Healthy One-Pot Meals Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:21 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Speaking of peas...have you ever made LisaSD's pasta, pancetta and pea supper?

OK, it's definitely NOT a low calorie or healthy dish, but it's really yummy.  It's like creamed ham with peas all mixed together with Bowtie pasta.  As soon as you mentioned peas that dish came to mind.

Gosh, but I'm bad.  Here in the healthy eating thread all I can talk about is a dish with pasta and cream....sorry

5Healthy One-Pot Meals Empty Re: Healthy One-Pot Meals Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:25 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Brian doesn't like quinoa

ME either. yuck. I bought into that bandwagon .. made it once. gross. Hated it.Heck my girls wouldn't eat it. I finally threw out the bag I couldn't figure anything out to use it for.

OH FYI it is HIGH in carbs.. Very high..

6Healthy One-Pot Meals Empty Re: Healthy One-Pot Meals Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:27 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

went back & read the recipe. sounds great. I will leave out the carbs lol .

7Healthy One-Pot Meals Empty Re: Healthy One-Pot Meals Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:33 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Definitely good favors for the shrimps and chicken sausage....don't see any reason you wouldn't enjoy that dish without the carbs, Barb.  I like the addition of the smoked paprika with the shrimp.  And there are some really flavorful chicken sausages to be found now.  I just have to read the label carefully when I want chicken sausage to be sure I'm getting a truly healthy and/or low fat one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum