Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brand new Month.. It is August..

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Barbara101
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 15]

51Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Pierogis are a carb lovers dream....potatoes stuffed in dough, then boiled to cook, and finished in butter (and usually onions) until lightly browned....or just boiled. But a little package of carb heaven.

We just went to the All Saints Church Festival and the church ladies work for months prepping the food. The first time I went one lady asked if I wanted butter sauce on my pieorogi and of course I did. That's when I found out the butter sauce was only butter with stewed onions...amazingly good as it covered those hand made pierogis.

I love the church festivals and all the traditional ethnic foods.

52Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:Jimmy, I've never had a pierogie before, but those look divine -- like ravioli or dim sum!  Mmm.  

YEP! like a ravioli. They are good with tomato sauce like ravioli too!
Tina hates when I eat them with tomato sauce.

I tell her...It's like you, eating jelly on potato pancakes! hahahahaha

53Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:46 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

You know, Barb, when I just came into this thread again, I saw where you wanted to make a turkey on the grill this month.  Don't forget a turkey breast -- they're smaller, all white meat and take up a lot less room in the fridge.  Though my favorite is dark meat, I picked one up in the grocery recently and my grill master was tickled pink!  Idea 

54Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:Jimmy, I've never had a pierogie before, but those look divine -- like ravioli or dim sum!  Mmm.  

YEP! like a ravioli. They are good with tomato sauce like ravioli too!
Tina hates when I eat them with tomato sauce.

I tell her...It's like you, eating jelly on potato pancakes! hahahahaha

Mmm! They look super to me, tomato sauce or no tomato sauce. I presume they're from the Polish, no? I'm going to have to go on a hunt to see if a local restuarant has pierogie!

Or maybe I should just make some ravioli. I used to make fresh pasta but it always seemed like Brian and I were ready to kill one another every time (I needed a second person when I was rolling it out). Now I make ravioli with won ton skins. I need one of those motor attachments that pulse for my pasta maker -- that way I don't need Brian's help.

It's really not his fault, as I'm a tad picky (grin) in the kitchen. I rarely accept help from anyone but always tease guests and say that it's fine and I don't mind doing it myself but I have no plans to help at their house the next time they have me over!!!!

55Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby, look in the freezer section for Mrs. T's Pierogies...potato & onion, potato & cheese, maybe another variety. You can cook them any nimbler of ways....I just made them for Jacob last week.

I had mine with a big pile of caramalized onions and some sour cream....good stuff, and easy.

56Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:42 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Crybaby, look in the freezer section for Mrs. T's Pierogies...potato & onion, potato & cheese, maybe another variety.  You can cook them any nimbler of ways....I just made them for Jacob last week.

I had mine with a big pile of caramalized onions and some sour cream....good stuff, and easy.

Thanks, Beth. I rarely buy anything frozen so I'm not used to looking in that section. I will definitely search for some on the next trip and appreciate the brand recommendation. I'm sure we'll like them as we've never met a carb we didn't like!

57Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:42 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 942396_10201890249245022_2010135620_n

I ate so much lettuce for lunch pale pale silent I am not even hungry.But those olives I bought,have me looking at them longingly..affraid 

58Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hot outside, cold salad on the table....good thinking!

I did a beef stir fry tonight.  The kid always looks at the vegetables and declares he doesn't like them.  But he eats them all....tonight I had a bunch of pea pods, celery, carrot, onion, bok choy.....a nice assortment.  As long as I let the vegetables steam so they aren't crunchy the way we normally like them, he eats 'em all.  So, that's the way they get cooked.  Grandma wants to be sure he will eat and not sit and pick one thing after another out of his supper.

Here's an old pic I had in my file....close enough to pretend it was tonight's.......

Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 02-27-12

59Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:05 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Yeah.. I remember, today is meatless Monday Wink  I pan fried some Rice vermicelli, I added eggs and spinach... it's one of my comfort foods, usually meats or seafood are added, but not today Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 3267860543 

Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 <a href=Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 DSCN7667" />

60Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:11 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, that,does look like a big plate of COMFORT! Yum!

61Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I bought 2 heads of cabbage yesterday. One big green one & one not so big red/purple.I am going to make cole slaw.Then I thought gee I would love some fried cabbage & sausage.(kielbasa).

62Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:53 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was just thinking of the same thing...but decided to wait until the 10 yr. old isn't here for the meal. He will eat it, maybe not a huge serving, but he gets, ah, shall I say, intestinal distress......

Refer to yesterday's "10 yr. old boys" thread and omit the part about making the sounds by blowing on his hand....but the laughter is even more!

63Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:14 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

tonight's dinner menu has been decided upon ...

Cuban Black Bean & Potato Soup

Carrot Pie

Simple romaine salad with DElicious little baby orange cherry tomatoes

Smile Smile Smile

64Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Muzicgirl, have you ever had the Cuban black beans from Trader Joes? Man, even though there is cilantro in them, they are SO good. Those beans are one of the few heat and eat canned foods I will eat. I like them spooned over a pile of hot rice...probably too much carb for you, but really good stuff.

OH, I just remembered....I ate my FIRST home grown tomato this morning. I saw it, I plucked it off, I wiped it on my shirt AND I ATE IT! In reflection, it probably could have stayed on the plant for another day or so but I just couldn't resist that first one of the season. Got lots getting close...another week or so.

65Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:44 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

bethk wrote:Muzicgirl, have you ever had the Cuban black beans from Trader Joes?  Man, even though there is cilantro in them, they are SO good. Those beans are one of the few heat and eat canned foods I will eat.  I like them spooned over a pile of hot rice...probably too much carb for you, but really good stuff.

OH, I just remembered....I ate my FIRST home grown tomato this morning.  I saw it, I plucked it off, I wiped it on my shirt AND I ATE IT!  In reflection, it probably could have stayed on the plant for another day or so but I just couldn't resist that first one of the season.  Got lots getting close...another week or so.

Hi, Beth,
nope, haven't tried the TJ's cuban black beans ... beans are so easy to season yourself, its pretty rar I buy pre-seasoned beans in the can ...

Beans and rice are a natural match, aren't they? Smile Yes, you are right, I have to watch my carbs, and white rice being really the absolute worst choice of carbs for a diabetic one could possibly make, I always stick with brown rice.

You might really enjoy a traditional preparation of Moros y Cristianos, which is the Cuban way of preparing black beans and rice. Many recipes all over the internet. Smile

tomatoes just starting to come in here. Our in the greenhouse are plentiful, but still mostly green. Thes little orange cherry tomatoes I got yesterday at Farmer's Market are divine! Sweet as candy!

66Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got one plant of a chocolate colored cherry tomato and 5 of an oblong cherry tomato, like baby romas....all volunteers from last year.  The brown ones are between a brown and purple color and more acidic than the oblong red ones, but really, really tomato-y tasting....

67Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 182303_304504426309689_856043108_n-1

fried squash. squash patty.. lol. Had to use it or lose it.jocolor 

68Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:59 pm

NormM

NormM

I got some brown sugar pineapple bratwursts at the butcher shop and smoked them for two hours.

Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 DSCN0658_zps95e0d0c5

Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 DSCN0659_zps9ca68ee2

Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 DSCN0660_zps4c25d465

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

69Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I ended up grilling the pork tenderloin and then glazing with just a bit of Sweet Baby Ray's at the last couple turns. Along side I made boiled potatoes and green beans....oh, and the required tossed salad topped with crunchies (aka: LaChoy rice noodles).

70Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

[quote="Barbara101"
fried squash. squash patty.. lol. Had to use it or lose it.jocolor [/quote]

The fried squash I know and love...but explain the squash patty, please....

71Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I got some brown sugar pineapple bratwursts at the butcher shop and smoked them for two hours.

Norm, doe the pineapple make the sausage sweet like a Chinese sausage?

72Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:17 pm

NormM

NormM

I've never had Chinese sausage so I don't know.  It just tastes like bratwurst with sweet pineapple undertones. I get them because Cassie does not like regular pork sausage.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

73Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The Chinese sausage is a very firm, maybe cured, sausage with a definite sweetness. It's almost used as a condiment in dishes like fried rice and my favorite, spicy red pepper bean sprouts w/sausage. I would think the brown sugar and pineapple would be very tasty with the pork and other spices.

But now you have me thinking I should make some brown sugar pepper bacon for a Saturday brunch. (Otherwise known as candied bacon)

74Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina Had a spaghetti sandwich on toast last night.

Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Mzkf

I made chili..... NG on macaroni...needed spaghetti

Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Fpxn

Today I made hot dogs peppers onions and potatoes.

Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Xzfk

Doughnuts and Danish Pastry for dessert and snacks.

Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Hej6

Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Dkr5

York Peppermint Patties for soothing the stomach.

Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Tuv2

75Brand new Month.. It is August.. - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:01 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

God, I love York Peppermint Patties but they're like chips for me -- I can't eat just one!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum