Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lunch for August..

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Lunch for August.. on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Barbara101

in case anyone wants to post their lunch..
I find when I eat a early breakfast,I am so hungry by noon.

leftover salad from last night. Leftover chicken breast.

Pic taken outside,run back in to eat. 

2 Re: Lunch for August.. on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:07 pm

bethk

Admin
Looks good.

Jake had Pierogies....his favorite.

Dane and I had the leftover halusky.

3 Re: Lunch for August.. on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:09 pm

Barbara101

yup. figures. Hungry. 12:08..

going to make a big salad. 

4 Re: Lunch for August.. on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:42 pm

bethk

Admin
Trying to think of something different and interesting for supper every day is a challenge at times. Add a nice lunch idea for M - F and sometimes I just go blank. Today I looked in the refrigerator and saw leftover taco meat...but only one flour tortilla....hmmmm, what to do? Taco salad jumped in my head and I made one of the prettiest ones in a long time. My efforts to make a pretty salad were lost on Mr. Amazing - he figures if it tastes good it doesn't matter a bit what it looks like. But, I like pretty as well as tasty.

It must have been OK for him because he ate it all. Here's a pic from my files...today's salad was MUCH prettier...honest!

5 Re: Lunch for August.. on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:09 pm

bethk

Admin
Announcement!  For the second time of opening a package of Kirkland Hickory Smoked Bacon, there are 13 slices...just perfect to bake four woven slabs of bacon for BLT sandwiches and one slice to snack on so you don't "accidentally-on-purpose" smash one slab just because you cannot wait another second for a taste.....

Ever since I saw that technique of slicing 3 pieces in half and weaving them, then baking, so you can have bread sized bacon for your sandwich.....well, what can I say? I'm a convert.  I usually under cook my bacon and finish at the last minute on paper towels in the microwave so the bacon is crisp and hot when it goes on our sandwiches.  Plus, then I can plan to do the messy part early, have everything prepped and ready to go and then impress Mr. Amazing with a huge BLT at a moments notice.  Any you all thought I had him hooked because of my wit and beauty......

Bacon keeps 'em coming around forever!

6 Re: Lunch for August.. on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:43 pm

Crybaby

I loved that woven bacon, Beth -- where the heck was that picture anyway? I'd like to print it out for my bacon boy!Very Happy 

7 Re: Lunch for August.. on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:55 pm

bethk

Admin
I think it was a post by txweekend....you'd have better luck doing a search of threads he started. He just did a pic of the woven bacon on a burger....but a while back was the first he posted a pic and it was pretty clear.

Or, I'm pretty sure you could find a representative photo by doing a search on the Internet.

I just know Dane loves when I make that woven slab for a BLT

8 Re: Lunch for August.. on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Weird supper today.

I made us Bacon, arugala, tomato and cheese sandwiches.

They were great. Light and grassy tasting. LOL

Dee-zert will be toast or English muffin with butter and jam we just brought back from Lancaster, PA

9 Re: Lunch for August.. on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:43 pm

NormM

This was lunch today.  Cut up a chicken and fried the dark meat.  I just dipped it in buttermilk then dusted it with flour seasoned with salt, pepper, thyme and garlic powder and fried in the fryer for 10-12 min.  From the farm market made okra and cut up some peaches and drizzled with honey.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

10 Re: Lunch for August.. on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:51 pm

bethk

Admin
Ohhhh, Norm, the pan fried okra....I was just reading about that in one of the blogs I regularly peruse....deepsouthdish.com

I am definitely going to give that a try when I get back to the villa. I'll be looking for fresh okra at the farmer's market for sure.

And I saw a recipe on smittenkitchen.com just this morning for a baked peach dessert - super simple and looked yummy. Peach halves with a crumble type topping baked until the topping and peach become one. Sounded like a peach pie without the pie.....

11 Re: Lunch for August.. on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:14 pm

NormM

That peach dessert sounds great. My okra was just rinsed in cold water, sliced, tossed with salted yellow cornmeal, shaken in a sifter to remove excess and cooked in just enough hot oil to cover the pan until it started to turn crispy. Some people like to bread it with egg then cornmeal and deep fry it.

12 Re: Lunch for August.. on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:41 pm

bethk

Admin
Norm, here's the link to the site I was talking about. She shook her cut okra in a paper bag with flour, cornmeal and seasonings...then pan fried in a cast iron skillet. I really like her site for simple, yet tasty dishes.

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2013/08/classic-iron-skillet-fried-okra.html#more

13 Re: Lunch for August.. on Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:41 pm

NormM

I like the looks of that. I have added it to my regular recipe (Alton Brown) so I'll see it and give it a try next time. I used to use that flour cornmeal mix but not the cajun seasoning. I'll be sure to try it that way next time.

14 Re: Lunch for August.. on Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:25 am

Crybaby

NormM wrote:That peach dessert sounds great.  My okra was just rinsed in cold water, sliced, tossed with salted yellow cornmeal, shaken in a sifter to remove excess and cooked in just enough hot oil to cover the pan until it started to turn crispy. Some people like to bread it with egg then cornmeal and deep fry it.  
Your method sounds good, Norm, and not so heavy -- you still want to taste the okra, you know? I was looking at recipes for pickled okra the other day as even though I didn't grow any, I love the pickled okra and would love to make some of my own, a tad spicy, too.

15 Re: Lunch for August.. on Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:28 am

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Weird supper today.

I made us Bacon, arugala, tomato and cheese sandwiches.

They were great. Light and grassy tasting. LOL

Dee-zert will be toast or English muffin with butter and jam we just brought back from Lancaster, PA
Those sandwiches sound divine, Jimmy -- I'd bet they'd be good made like a grilled cheese, too!

You made me laugh to hear you also make dessert after lunch!

16 Re: Lunch for August.. on Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:45 pm

bethk

Admin
I made chicken salad for lunch today. Poached chicken, shredded, quartered red seedless grapes, thinly bias sliced celery and a sprinkling of toasted sliced almonds. The dressing was Miracle Whip, sour cream, a sprinkle of sugar, a pinch of dry mustard and a good pinch of curry powder.

17 Re: Lunch for August.. on Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:52 pm

NormM

I have some chicken I was wondering what to do with. Chicken salad sound good.

18 Re: Lunch for August.. on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:19 pm

bethk

Admin
I fixed breakfast for everyone else earlier but didn't feel like eating. Then, when I got hungry, about 11:00, I went after the leftover chicken salad....DD ATE IT! Darn. So, I had a couple eggs, protein just the same, I guess.

Then, a little while ago, THEY all decided they were hungry again. Meat sauce out of the freezer and some quick cooking angel hair nests....all while I was trying to get the dry rub on the ribs. OK, they're happy for now.

I think it's going to be one of those constantly cooking days....

And all I want to do is read a book I just downloaded to my Kindle....guess I'll go sit outside. Then they won't see me and nag for more food in 15 minutes.

19 Re: Lunch for August.. on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Barbara101

I am parked on the sofa..I have Gunsmoke on lol then I will get some of those Barkley men to feast my eye on  

I will take a much earned nap or 2..

20 Re: Lunch for August.. on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Just had BreakLunch! Had a omlet and Tina had a 1/4 piece of it. I overdid the toast. 3 slices with butter.

The kids should be stopping from their way home from Boston at 5:00. They have cannoli and pastry from Mikes Pastry Shoppe in Boston.

We are gonna have angel hair spaghetti and the meats and meatballs Tina cooked yesterday!

21 Re: Lunch for August.. on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:41 am

Imelda HL

I made this for lunch today.. leftover meat fillings for my empanadas, added cheese and breadcrumbs

22 Re: Lunch for August.. on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:53 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:I made this for lunch today.. leftover meat fillings for my empanadas, added cheese and breadcrumbs

Nice lunch.
Love stuffed peppers.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum