Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2021 - New winter ideas?

+3
Bugster2
bethk
Cookin Lore
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 9]

26February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:02 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was scrambled eggs with cheese for me, with white toast with lightly buttered.
Tina had oatmeal. We both had stomach ailments.

bethk likes this post

27February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked up some boneless/skinless chicken breasts today. I wish I had room to get about 6 whole chickens and cut them up myself. This was a package of 6 and 4 of them were GIGANTIC and two were itty-bitty in size. That drives me nuts. The huge ones had lots of chunks of fat and most of the cartilage from cutting down the breast bone and other icky parts of unusable tissue. The little ones were cut in odd shapes ~ not sure why.

But, I froze 5 and moved on with my day.

I ended up cutting through one and pounded them a bit to even out the thickness. Ended up making some chicken parm with just a thin flour dusting instead of panko crust. Made some angel hair pasta and reheated the leftover green beans.

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 02_05_15

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

28February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:35 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I picked up some boneless/skinless chicken breasts today.  I wish I had room to get about 6 whole chickens and cut them up myself.  This was a package of 6 and 4 of them were GIGANTIC and two were itty-bitty in size.  That drives me nuts.  The huge ones had lots of chunks of fat and most of the cartilage from cutting down the breast bone and other icky parts of unusable tissue.  The little ones were cut in odd shapes ~ not sure why.

But, I froze 5 and moved on with my day.

I ended up cutting through one and pounded them a bit to even out the thickness.  Ended up making some chicken parm with just a thin flour dusting instead of panko crust.  Made some angel hair pasta and reheated the leftover green beans.

I call that a butchers grab bag. "Closes his eyes, and grabs whatever he grabs!"

29February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:13 pm

Cookin Lore

Stuffed pork chop, fingerling potatoes, squash with a cranberry-orange compote was my dinner tonight. Sending picture to Beth.

bethk likes this post

30February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:37 pm

NormM

NormM

We had crab boil. It will be the last time I get crab legs when the aren't on sale. I think when we have it again, I will do the shrimp separately Killer Shrimp style.February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 20210210

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

31February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed out some shrimp and then had to come up with an idea......

Vegetable fried rice with teriyaki shrimp....

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 02_06_10

32February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:We had crab boil. It will be the last time I get crab legs when the aren't on sale. I think when we have it again, I will do the shrimp separately Killer Shrimp style.

the price of crab always catches me by surprise......I can remember (not all that long ago) when I saw ads for Kroger and they had snow crab clusters for $5.99/lb. It was never anywhere near me but it was enough to make me want to go on a road trip.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

33February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Stuffed pork chop, fingerling potatoes and butternut squash with cranberry orange compote was my dinner today."

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 02_06_11

UNCLE JIMMY, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

34February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:55 pm

Cookin Lore

Searching through my little freezer, out popped a squid, and some raw shrimp. Now, a spicy jambalaya or a creamy something? Decisions, decisions!

bethk likes this post

35February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had this popeye chicken last night. Tina picked it up near her uncles, on her way home. It was well cooked and crunchy.
February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Popeye10

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

36February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

those chicken tenders make really good sandwiches on a soft bun with mayo & pickles.......

.........or so I've heard........

LOL

(( YUM !!! ))

37February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This batch of tenders, had my gums hurting getting through the crusty coating. It was perfect for me. You know me, I don''t like soft and moist chicken. Nope!
#######################################
Got a rack of ribs baking in the oven for tonight. Mad Hunky all purpose rub for 4 hours or so, at 275 F.

bethk likes this post

38February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

There was a report one time of an 'upscale' restaurant that was suppose to have the BEST CHICKEN SANDWICH. Upon a bit of investigation it was found they sent an employee to get Popeye's Chicken Tenders and then put the Popeye's Tenders on a bun, added some sauce & pickles and then charged $16 for the sandwich.

It wasn't long before Popeye's offered their tenders as a sandwich (two tenders on a soft bun with sauce & pickles.....). And it's, like, $4.

But that's just internet rumor......

39February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:05 pm

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:This batch of tenders, had my gums hurting getting through the crusty coating. It was perfect for me. You know me, I don''t like soft and moist chicken. Nope!
Got a rack of ribs baking in the oven for tonight. Mad Hunky all purpose rub for 4 hours or so, at 275 F.

Am I correct in remembering Mad Hunky for that other chatline years ago?

40February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:This batch of tenders, had my gums hurting getting through the crusty coating. It was perfect for me. You know me, I don''t like soft and moist chicken. Nope!

Yes, Rich from the cooking.com forum and also a 'smoker' (meats) forum.  Has his own line of seasoning.  You can find it online at:  https://madhunkymeats.com/

More than one of our members recommends his 'All Purpose Rub'

I remember him more for the recipe he passed on to me for the best Cream of Mushroom Soup I've ever made.....MUSHROOM SOUP FROM THE GOLDEN MUSHROOM RESTAURANT

I think I posted the recipe here......if not, I can....

Yup ~ it's here:  https://cookingfriends.forumotion.com/t1069-golden-mushroom-soup

41February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I simmered some Johnsonville Brats in beer and then browned them on the gas grill. Had some buttered/parsley/chive noodles and Penzey seasoned green beans along side.

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 02_07_10

42February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:31 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Grilling some carne asada and some pollo asado. Going to have guacamole and refried beans to go along with it.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

43February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:48 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:

Yes, Rich from the cooking.com forum and also a 'smoker' (meats) forum.  Has his own line of seasoning.  You can find it online at:  https://madhunkymeats.com/

More than one of our members recommends his 'All Purpose Rub'

I remember him more for the recipe he passed on to me for the best Cream of Mushroom Soup I've ever made.....MUSHROOM SOUP FROM THE GOLDEN MUSHROOM RESTAURANT

I think I posted the recipe here......if not, I can....

Yup ~ it's here:  https://cookingfriends.forumotion.com/t1069-golden-mushroom-soup

He sent me a package of a rub, I used it, but I guess life got in the way of thinking about him more. My son has gotten into smoking, I'll tell him about "Hunky".

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

44February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:43 pm

Cookin Lore

Cookin Lore wrote:Searching through my little freezer, out popped a squid, and some raw shrimp.  Now, a spicy jambalaya or a creamy something?  Decisions, decisions!

Spicy jambalaya won out!  Found a recipe that appealed to me, and it was done all in one pan.  I didn't have any sausage, so it was just the seafood.  It is really good, but I have to learn to cook for one, not an army! LOL

(edited by beth....)

"Tonight. A jambalaya recipe I found in an old lad cookbook. I had no sausage, so I just used shrimp and two small squid I had in the freezer. Cut those into rings, obviously! It was really good, all done in the pan that it’s in n the picture."

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 02_07_10

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

45February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The ribs came out really good. 3 hours in the oven covered tightly at 275F; then one hour at 200F . The meat was tender, and pulled off the bones easily.
The way Tina likes them. To sweeten the ribs a little more, I added some ketchup from the squeeze bottle. Not a lot, just a trail of circles.

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Ribs10

bethk likes this post

46February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got some burger patties thawed to brown up with taco seasoning.....soft tacos and guacamole on the menu for tonight.

47February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks like leftover ribs and taco's that Maria made the other day. Oh! A garden salad will accompany whatever we eat. Or pretend to eat, as we chew on our thumbs. LOL clown

bethk likes this post

48February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:59 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

The carne asada kept Joe up all night. I am glad he has finally made an appointment with the gastroenterologist.

I wonder if someone makes something - a tray or sleeve that goes under a gallon container of milk. There always seems to be a dried milk residue that I have to clean off where the the milk sits in the fridge. Heaven forbid that anyone else should clean up the mess.

If Joe eats tonight it will probably be just toast.

bethk and Cookin Lore like this post

49February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:56 pm

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:The carne asada kept Joe up all night. I am glad he has finally made an appointment with the gastroenterologist.

I wonder if someone makes something - a tray or sleeve that goes under a gallon container of milk. There always seems to be a dried milk residue that I have to clean off where the the milk sits in the fridge. Heaven forbid that anyone else should clean up the mess.

If it sits in the same spot all the time, how about just a couple of layers of paper towel? We get our milk in a large plastic bag which contains three smaller bags, each one liter of milk. It's also available in cartons, but for a family we generally get it in those bags. I had a plastic container in the fridge where the three small bags always went. That way, is there was a leak, it was contained. You can probably find a plastic container at the dollar store that your jug fits in. Of course it has to be shallow for people to put the jug in, or it's not gonna be put in, right?

I very rarely have milk in my fridge now, only get it when I am doing something specific.

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

bethk likes this post

50February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:The carne asada kept Joe up all night. I am glad he has finally made an appointment with the gastroenterologist.

Seems like Joe will be paying more than one visit to the gastro Dr.
Is it spicy food he cannot eat ??
I know someone else that lives here, but won't see the gastro Dr.pale Rolling Eyes
I had a peptic ulcer when I was 16, and the Dr. said, no grease, no coke or Pepsi. Once I fasted on those items, it healed and I was pain free.
Till the next few months later, when I didn't listen, and went back to eating the greasy foods. No

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum