Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

2021 January ~ A New Year ~ A New Day ~

+3
Cookin Lore
Bugster2
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 12]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Stuffed cabbages tonight. ( Halupki )

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn & I went to a 'new' Polish Deli restaurant. She had kielbaska w/sauerkraut sandwich, loaded potatoes & cucumber salad and I had 3 sauerkraut stuffed pierogi. YUM! Small menu right now as they just opened recently but the food was really good. Served rye bread & butter and a little dish of 'half sour' dill pickles when you sat down.

We'll be going back ~ when we're hungry to have the stuffed cabbage or potato pancakes or something different.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Stuffed cabbages tonight. ( Halupki )

Galuschken when I grew up. LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Stuffed cabbages tonight. ( Halupki )

Galuschken when I grew up.  LOL

Golabki on the deli menu....... LOL

(a rose by any other name would be as sweet......)

bethk

bethk
Admin

The weather took a turn for the 'cool' so no outdoor grill tonight. Two burgers under the broiler worked just fine. Steamed some broccoli & cauliflower together in the microwave and made some crispy crowns. Just right for supper tonight.

2021 January ~ A New Year ~ A New Day ~ - Page 3 01_08_11

I finally got in for a haircut. It's been over a year since I've had it cut or trimmed ~ you can only imagine how awful it was for me every day. I walked in with my hair below my shoulders and, five pounds later, walked out with it cut below my ears by just a smidge. Feels 100% better!

NormM

NormM

I am not very comfortable making candy, especially when a candy thermometer is involved, but Charlie asked for chocolate and caramel fudges. Turns out the candy thermometer isn't working well.
An instant read thermometer told me so. The caramel one seems like it is going to turn out well but not the chocolate one. I will make it again. It's a character flaw of mine. I can't accept a failure without at least trying to make it better next time.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

Yesterday my chest hurt. It hurt to cough, take a deep breath. Joe called the pulmonologist and he said take me to the hospital and really complain so I can get admitted. If I get admitted I can get my bronchoscopy. Sneaky doctor. They admitted me but it took 10 hours to get a bed but it wasn't a bed, it was a triage bay. The hospital was so full of Covids that beds were in short supply. It was a miserable night. The bed was concrete. There was only a curtain for privacy. The staff talked loudly and a door slammed shut every 5 minutes. People kept coming in for this and that. No TV. BUT! I got my broncoscopy so it was worth it.

582021 January ~ A New Year ~ A New Day ~ - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 January ~ A New Year ~ A New Day ~ Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:00 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:I am not very comfortable making candy, especially when a candy thermometer is involved, but Charlie asked for chocolate and caramel fudges. Turns out the candy thermometer isn't working well.
An instant read thermometer told me so.  The caramel one seems like it is going to turn out well but not the chocolate one.  I will make it again. It's a character flaw of mine. I can't accept a failure without at least trying to make it better next time.

I use Thermoworks Chef Alarm. Mine has a clip for the pan to hold the probe. It is the only thermometer I have found for candy and deep frying that is accurate.

592021 January ~ A New Year ~ A New Day ~ - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 January ~ A New Year ~ A New Day ~ Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:39 pm

NormM

NormM

Bugster2 wrote:
NormM wrote:I am not very comfortable making candy, especially when a candy thermometer is involved, but Charlie asked for chocolate and caramel fudges. Turns out the candy thermometer isn't working well.
An instant read thermometer told me so.  The caramel one seems like it is going to turn out well but not the chocolate one.  I will make it again. It's a character flaw of mine. I can't accept a failure without at least trying to make it better next time.

I use Thermoworks Chef Alarm. Mine has a clip for the pan to hold the probe. It is the only thermometer I have found for candy and deep frying that is accurate.

The instant read thermometer that I used was a Thermoworks. That's how I knew the candy thermometer was not working.  I used it first on the chocolate fudge even though it said not to use a metal spoon or whisk or to stir the chocolate at all while it was coming up to temperature and I was afraid that the metal probe caused the chocolate fudge to be grainy so I used the candy thermometer on the caramel one and when it didn't move fast enough I checked it with the Thermoworks one.  I have at least 5 Thermoworks thermometers but don't have one with a clip like that one you describe.

602021 January ~ A New Year ~ A New Day ~ - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 January ~ A New Year ~ A New Day ~ Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:13 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Yesterday my chest hurt. It hurt to cough, take a deep breath. Joe called the pulmonologist and he said take me to the hospital and really complain so I can get admitted. If I get admitted I can get my bronchoscopy. Sneaky doctor. They admitted me but it took 10 hours to get a bed but it wasn't a bed, it was a triage bay. The hospital was so full of Covids that beds were in short supply. It was a miserable night. The bed was concrete. There was only a curtain for privacy. The staff talked loudly and a door slammed shut every 5 minutes. People kept coming in for this and that. No TV. BUT! I got my broncoscopy so it was worth it.

Crying or Very sad  .....You may have an infection of the pleural sac.
Tina gets that when she gets a cough.  Pleurisy they call it.
Take care, and rest.  feel better soon.

BTW...  DD was sent home from work today. Cold and sinus with sniffles. She had to go for a Covid19 test. Thank god she tested negative.

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Yesterday my chest hurt. It hurt to cough, take a deep breath. Joe called the pulmonologist and he said take me to the hospital and really complain so I can get admitted. If I get admitted I can get my bronchoscopy. Sneaky doctor. They admitted me but it took 10 hours to get a bed but it wasn't a bed, it was a triage bay. The hospital was so full of Covids that beds were in short supply. It was a miserable night. The bed was concrete. There was only a curtain for privacy. The staff talked loudly and a door slammed shut every 5 minutes. People kept coming in for this and that. No TV. BUT! I got my broncoscopy so it was worth it.

Crying or Very sad  .....You may have an infection of the pleural sac.
Tina gets that when she gets a cough.  Pleurisy they call it.
Take care, and rest.  feel better soon.

I wish it was that simple Jimmy. It is a tumor and most likely the big C.
Now I have a bad sore throat from the scope and have been coughing my head off. A dose of codeine cough medicine helped.

I am a prize winner when it comes to strange dreams. When I was coming out of the anesthetic I was coughing my head off and had a dream of seeing this big round jigsaw puzzle. Each time I coughed, pieces of the puzzle popped out. LOL I don't know what they use to knock you out but it wears off really fast with no hangover. I was wheeled back to my bay, told I could go home. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. LOL.
I might have mentioned that I ordered an at home Covid test for Katie because she had been feeling sick. It came in 2 days. I got the swab, packed it up, sent it out and by damn, the results were in the next day. NEGATIVE. Great news.

BTW...  DD was sent home from work today. Cold and sinus with sniffles. She had to go for a Covid19 test. Thank god she tested negative.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had an old time meal that hasn't been on our table for a couple years that I can remember.....Creamed Ham with Noodles. I picked the few beans off the patio pots that needed to be picked and chopped them to resemble pea size ~ just for a bit of color, cooked them with the noodles before I added the creamed ham sauce.

I had some baby bok choy that I quartered and marinated with some Asian stuff ~ cooked it on the cast iron grill pan.

2021 January ~ A New Year ~ A New Day ~ - Page 3 01_09_12

Cookin Lore

Salad of spring mix, red pepper, olives, shrimp, and the last of the sprouts that I have started sprouting. I had a bit of ranch dressing left, it was really thick so it looks like lumps. Sending you a picture, Beth. Thanks.

NormM

NormM

This was our dinner tonight. Charlie also made some mac and cheese.2021 January ~ A New Year ~ A New Day ~ - Page 3 20210112

652021 January ~ A New Year ~ A New Day ~ - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 January ~ A New Year ~ A New Day ~ Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight, it was German Pork sausages with potato salad.
Apple sauce with the pork, and caraway seeded rye as a pusher.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Pot roast (chuck roast) in the oven. Gonna add the potatoes & carrots in a couple minutes......

NormM

NormM

I made chocolate fudge again. I got a new candy thermometer and used it along side the old one. The new one got up to 240 while the old one was barely at 100. While I was waiting for it to cook, I got out my Thermoworks Chef's Alarm to see if it had a clip that I didn't think mine had but there it was under some netting. The fudge seems like it turned out OK. I have two other Thermoworks thermometers that I use more often. One is called the Dot and the other one is the Dash.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote: One is called the Dot and the other one is the Dash.

Is that Morse Code????

Hahahahahahahaha! I make myself laugh...........

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

I have a filet defrosting, think I'll do it in my grill pan, haven't used that for quite a while. Cauliflower and maybe a nuked sweet potato.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Lore ~ I never got the picture you said you were sending.....maybe try again???

I called neighbor Jim at the last minute ~ I should have called him this morning when I knew I was making Pot Roast. I know if gravy is involved, he'll show up! LOL

There's always plenty and even though pot roast is something we DO have a 'leftover' (second meal) with, even with 3 for dinner there's always a surplus.

2021 January ~ A New Year ~ A New Day ~ - Page 3 01_10_13

Cookin Lore

I sent the picture again. Have gone to Plan B as far as dinner tonight is concerned. I had some more pork and sauerkraut from a few days ago, put that in the oven to warm up, threw in some more small potatoes, but figured that if the oven is on, I'd put in some sausages also, just to have available as a snack or lunch or whatever. Sausages are from my favourite local butcher shop. No, not German, but the neighbours. Dutch! That's the place we used to get all our sausages to do on the firepit.

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:I made chocolate fudge again.  I got a new candy thermometer and used it along side the old one.  The new one got up to 240 while the old one was barely at 100.  While I was waiting for it to cook, I got out my Thermoworks Chef's Alarm to see if it had a clip that I didn't think mine had but there it was under some netting.  The fudge seems like it turned out OK.  I have two other Thermoworks thermometers that I use more often. One is called the Dot and the other one is the Dash.

I am glad you found a clip with your Chef Alarm. It takes a bit of tinkering to get it positioned correctly.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I sent the picture again.  Have gone to Plan B as far as dinner tonight is concerned.  I had some more pork and sauerkraut from a few days ago, put that in the oven to warm up, threw in some more small potatoes, but figured that if the oven is on, I'd put in some sausages also, just to have available as a snack or lunch or whatever.  Sausages are from my favourite local butcher shop. No, not German, but the neighbours.  Dutch!  That's the place we used to get all our sausages to do on the firepit.  

Still no picture ~ maybe they're quarantining emails from Canada......

I'll keep checking.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore ~ I just sent YOU an email......try to do a 'reply' message to me and attach your pictures.

Don't know what's going on........

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Lore ~ I just sent YOU an email......try to do a 'reply' message to me and attach your pictures.

Don't know what's going on........

My iPhone updated automatically yesterday and I think it messed stuff up. Will try again later. Thanks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum