Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure!

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Cookin Lore
Imelda HL
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 11]

bethk

bethk
Admin

My red beans & rice came out nice and tasty. I added the second round of a hot banana pepper and a jalapeno about 15 minutes before I turned off the heat. There was just enough spicy taste that you could feel it in the back of your throat ~ not 'BLOW-YOUR-HEAD-OFF' hot, but just enough that the flavor and heat was noticeable. Dane said he would have had two servings but it was my fault for toasting off a dinner roll....whatever............

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 2 07_02_11

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 2 07_02_12

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was a salad from the BK Tina bought yesterday, but I saved it for today. Then, a slice of pizza that was in the freezer.
Tina is having Mexican corn from the Jolly Ho Ho Ho .......Green Giant.
She's getting mad at me, because I keep reminding her to chew it good.

Bugster2

Bugster2

After reading about the gal who poisoned herself, I will leave the fermenting to Norm. Funny, the recipe said nothing about sealing the jar - only weighing down the cabbage so it would be under the water that the cabbage gave off. I really like that "fermenter" jar that keeps the air out. I suddenly had visions of a scene from a movie where Bing Crosby canned some peaches and the jars exploded.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

NormM

NormM

The fermentor lid lets the gases escape while keeping the air out. Pressure does not build up. Air getting to the cabbage that isn't underwater can cause oxidation and spoilage.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

Going to make a super salad for myself today, and have the last of a package of green lipped mussels from New Zealand that I had in my freezer. Fishing son gave me a package of fresh Lake Erie walleye, but that will be for another day when I can invite hubby's uncle Ernie. Maybe Sunday.
Happy 4th of July, everyone!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Younger grandson, Jacob, facetimed me to ask how to cook crab legs for his supper. Easy peasey. He didn't have a large pot like I use to steam them so I told him to just put them in a 9 X 13 pan with a little water, seal well with foil and heat them in the oven for about 20-30 minutes. He's also going to microwave steam some broccoli for 3 minutes. He's finding how easy it is to cook for himself and he's enjoying it.

I told him I was making one of his favorites ~ chicken chunks & sauteed zucchini. I also had some fresh corn cut off the cob and a baked sweet potato. He would have been happy with just the chicken and zucchini.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 2 07_03_11

Bugster2

Bugster2

It's hot here - 93 degrees and will be hotter tomorrow. Joe is heating the pool for a night swim. Dinner is 7-layer dip with tortilla chips and a Margarita.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper today was Italian Wedding soup. A hot 85 degree day, and we had soup!
Lunch was Kosher Bologna, and Kosher Pastrami. 1/2 sandwich each on 40 calorie bread.
Instead of mustard on the sandwiches, I used horseradish. It was good. 

Tomorrow, the 4th celebration, the kids are coming over. We ordered 5 large pizza tonight, and they were delivered and placed in the fridge for tomorrow.
I will put the stone on the grill, and we can reheat the slices without cranking up the oven in the kitchen.
It's simple and easy and f a s t ! .... I like it!

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Younger grandson, Jacob, facetimed me to ask how to cook crab legs for his supper.  Easy peasey.  He didn't have a large pot like I use to steam them so I told him to just put them in a 9 X 13 pan with a little water, seal well with foil and heat them in the oven for about 20-30 minutes.  He's also going to microwave steam some broccoli for 3 minutes.  He's finding how easy it is to cook for himself and he's enjoying it.

I told him I was making one of his favorites ~ chicken chunks & sauteed zucchini.  I also had some fresh corn cut off the cob and a baked sweet potato.  He would have been happy with just the chicken and zucchini.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 2 07_03_11

Crab legs that we get here are pre-cooked, and I always just put them in the microwave. Haven't had any for a long time. I think I need to splurge on me! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

Crab legs that we get here are pre-cooked, and I always just put them in the microwave. Haven't had any for a long time.  I think I need to splurge on me! LOL

Yes, all the crab sold is pre-cooked (usually on the ships when they're caught). I didn't want to tell him about using the microwave for fear he'd get them overcooked and tough. I've found a fairly dry heat, like the oven or grill in a sealed pan works well and helps dry the shells so they're easier to crack open.

It's always fun when he face times me to show me what he's cooking and to get advice on how to make something. I like staying in touch with him and him asking for help with a recipe or method of cooking keeps him coming back for more.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hot dogs & potato salad on the menu for today.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Fried chicken fingers, Ina Garten's corn salad and bbq beans for us.

We have heated the pool for the first time. I will see what happens to our gas and electric bills.

Threre were 10 hot air balloons out early this morning. It is nice to see them again.

Beth, this is for you:

https://www.thekitchn.com/burger-patty-recipe-259076?newsletter_slot=1&utm_source=k_daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=07042020

NormM

NormM

Anne Rosenzweig, chef and owner of the Lobster Club in New York City, Makes a compound butter then puts a pad of it in between to thin patties pressed together.
Makes 4
• 1 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
• 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
• 1 tablespoon chopped chives
• 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
• 2 pounds freshly ground beef, combination chuck and shoulder
• Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Vegetable oil, for grill
• 4 semolina rolls, split
• Baby lettuce, for garnish
• Sliced plum tomatoes, for garnish
Directions
1. In a medium bowl, make compound herb butter by combining softened butter, thyme, sage, parsley, chives, and rosemary (this can also be done in a food processor). Turn out onto parchment or plastic wrap, and roll into a log, 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter. Chill until firm, or freeze for up to 1 month.
2. Heat grill or grill pan.
3. Form four 8-ounce, 1-inch-thick burgers. Cut four 1/8-inch-thick slices of compound butter from the log. Make an indentation in the center of each burger, and place half of a compound-butter slice inside. Reshape meat to cover butter, making sure it is not visible from either side; season both sides with salt and pepper.
4. Oil grill with a small amount of vegetable oil to prevent sticking.
5. Grill burgers for 5 to 7 minutes per side for medium doneness. Remove from grill, and place each burger on a roll. Serve garnished with lettuce and tomato.

bethk

bethk
Admin

OMG! Someone put MY Butter Burger Video on line!

And, yes, I do grate butter in my burgers (every once in a while ~ not every time) and I love the taste it gives the meat.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I love Butter Burger, we like to get it at Culver's, gonna try to make it, thanks for the link Bugs

I made this for D's brunch today, corn pancake/fritters, refried beans with cheese, sausage links, avocado

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 2 Dscn7310

I ate a piece of roll cake my friend gave me, I love this beautiful roll

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 2 10642010
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 2 Dscn7218

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:

Crab legs that we get here are pre-cooked, and I always just put them in the microwave. Haven't had any for a long time.  I think I need to splurge on me! LOL

Yes, all the crab sold is pre-cooked (usually on the ships when they're caught).  I didn't want to tell him about using the microwave for fear he'd get them overcooked and tough.  I've found a fairly dry heat, like the oven or grill in a sealed pan works well and helps dry the shells so they're easier to crack open.

It's always fun when he face times me to show me what he's cooking and to get advice on how to make something.  I like staying in touch with him and him asking for help with a recipe or method of cooking keeps him coming back for more.

I understand. But, my daughter was able to get fresh, live Dungeness crabs on the west coast, so I didn't assume that they were pre-cooked. Yes, fun when the "Young ones" ask for help!

JanaAZ

Bugster2 wrote:After reading about the gal who poisoned herself, I will leave the fermenting to Norm. Funny, the recipe said nothing about sealing the jar - only weighing down the cabbage so it would be under the water that the cabbage gave off. I really like that "fermenter" jar that keeps the air out. I suddenly had visions of a scene from a movie where Bing Crosby canned some peaches and the jars exploded.

I missed that article. I ferment stuff all the time. I started using canning jars with pickle pipes. Minimizes smell and keeps our air. I am about ready to ferment some more cabbage.

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:

I missed that article. I ferment stuff all the time. I started using canning jars with pickle pipes. Minimizes smell and keeps our air.  I am about ready to ferment some more cabbage.

Thanks! I had to ''google'' pickle pipes but it's an interesting product. I can see how it would really help keep your sauerkraut from getting moldy.

What temperature do you keep your jars when you start? I had difficulty because I think my countertop is too warm to properly ferment sauerkraut ~ at least I didn't have really good luck the couple times I tried to make my own. My grandmother made it in crocks in the basement 'fruit cellar' which was probably 60° - 65° year around.

NormM

NormM

The booklet that came with my equipment says between 70 and 80. 80 seems a little high to me.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy 4th of July supper.....

Hot Dogs, Potato Salad & Bush's Beans

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 2 07_04_15

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

It wasn't a very good 4th for me. LOL. First I made some bbq beans and I forgot to cut down the ingredients to 1/4 so it was a pot of mustard beans and had to be tossed.
The next thing was dropping a very soft 1/4 stick of butter on the floor. It went "SPLAT!" all over the place.
Then I went into the pool and while kicking my foot, I hit it on the wall of the pool and broke something in my foot. It means a trip to urgent care and x-ray tomorrow. I am hobbling around in my slippers and my toes are swollen and have turned blue.
If it isn't one thing, it's another. I hope my foot doesn't curl up like my hand.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:It wasn't a very good 4th for me. LOL. First I made some bbq beans and I forgot to cut down the ingredients to 1/4 so it was a pot of mustard beans and had to be tossed.
The next thing was dropping a very soft 1/4 stick of butter on the floor. It went "SPLAT!" all over the place.
Then I went into the pool and while kicking my foot, I hit it on the wall of the pool and broke something in my foot. It means a trip to urgent care and x-ray tomorrow. I am hobbling around in my slippers and my toes are swollen and have turned blue.
If it isn't one thing, it's another. I hope my foot doesn't curl up like my hand.

Oh No! Swollen and blue...is a Bruise...
Swollen and Red.....is a Fracture. Hope it's just a bruise.
Air Cast and crutches....oh my!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The 4th celebration was great. It was calm, no rushing to heat or burning the buns. Haaaaa.
The stone on the grill worked great. It was fast heating up, and the crust was crisped up perfectly.
We had a Ice cream cake from Cold Stone Creamery. DD made Rice Krispy treats.
$40.00 for a cake. What a rip off. A week ago it was $28.00. New corporate ownership, and they raised the prices. Never again.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I saw a recipe on America's Test Kitchen for Monroe-County Pork Chops that sounded interesting.  Of course I didn't have the forethought to write down the exact recipe but I think I got it somewhat clear in my head to give it a try.  I didn't have thin pork shoulder chops that they suggested but something close so I thawed them out and then decided, on a whim, to try a salt/sugar brine for a few hours to see if they stay moister than usual for grilled chops.

The spice mix was equal parts ground pepper, Kosher salt, smoked paprika and as much cayenne pepper as you want.  They used 3/4 tsp. cayenne to a tablespoon each of the other spices, I think.  Well, that's what I used ~ they had more chops and I'm just doing two good sized ones.

A few tablespoons of butter got browned and then half the spice mixture stirred in to bloom.  Then, when cooled a bit it got a good dose of white vinegar.

The remainder of the spice mix gets mixed with a little cornstarch and sprinkled on the pork just before grilling.

After the pork is done it's placed on a tray and the vinegar spice mop is spooned over and the pork is turned over a couple times and tented to rest.

We'll see how it goes tonight.  It'll either be a 'keeper' or a 'bummer'.......

I'm making steamed cabbage and packet potatoes to go along with the pork.

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so I don't think it was a 'keeper' but it wasn't bad ~ just needed to be tweeked to be more to our tastes. We didn't care for the overpowering taste of smoked paprika....that needed to be toned down a bit. Surprisingly, the vinegar wasn't too much even though the cooked pork marinated in it after being taken off the grill. I think we might have liked cider vinegar better than white distilled vinegar. The cayenne wasn't too hot, actually might have liked a little more. I don't know what the purpose of the cornstarch was unless to keep the spice mix on the meat.

My simple steamed cabbage was a good combo with the pork ~ the sweetness of the cabbage paired nicely with the pork.

I did notice a nice tenderness with the pork with the sugar/salt brine ~ that's something I'll do again for sure!

The packet potatoes were pretty tasty for a change of pace side dish.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 2 07_05_10

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum