Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure!

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Cookin Lore
Imelda HL
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 11]

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
NormM wrote:I'd say 8 years lifespan for an expensive refrigerator is not acceptable. I suspect the guy was just trying to get you to buy an extended warranty.

I just googled it ~ average life span of a refrigerator is 14 years (still low as far as I'm concerned).

It was our mattress that they suggested should be replaced after 8 years...........

(More stupid information to clutter up our minds!  LOL)

We have our refrigerator since we moved in our house 12 years ago, at that time it looked brand new to me, since last month it gave loud wheezing noise, not all the time though, I heard it twice, so now I'm shopping around for a new one, ours is a simple white top freezer and I'm planning to get the same model and size, it fits our small kitchen and our budget. The stores I looked at online ( Costco, Home Depot and Lowe ) have the earliest delivery date on Sept 2nd, let's hope ours will last until we get a new one

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had Indonesian food tonight. Take Out.  I had the skewered shrimp ( 12 ) with sticky rice.
Spring rolls and dumplings with cabbage and mushroom filling.

Jimmy, I'm curious about the Indonesian food you had, do you like them?

Cookin Lore

My grill seems to be OK. I plugged it in somewhere else, and it was fine. So, there may be a problem with my stove. I will have someone come and check it out. I will not be upset if there's a problem, I'd like a new one and have just not been able to justify the expense to myself! LOL

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had Indonesian food tonight. Take Out.  I had the skewered shrimp ( 12 ) with sticky rice.

Yes. Mine was 12 large shrimp on skewers, and bbq'd. They served with a green sauce, and an orange one, plus a soy sauce. Tina had pork and mushroom steamed dumplings.
DD had chicken and vegetables over soft noodles in a sauce.
Tina stopped eating because she is allergic to MSG, and she got sick for an hour after just one bite. The spring rolls were small. Like a little finger. I finished them.
Oink Oink .... pig
Lenny had Fillet beef over skinny noodle and they were with a hot spicy white creamy sauce. All & all, it was good, but they raised the prices during this pandemic. 4 people was $104.00. It cost less to eat inside there, but not allowed now.

http://www.pandanroom.com/

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add word)

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was spaghetti and used up the last of the sauce.
Lunch....was a working one, and we each had a halupki Stuffed Cabbage.
We were putting Liams electric car together.
Tina bought it for him because he was being good in daycare.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 10 Liams_10

How about that.... huh! hahahahahaha

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW! That's gonna be a wonderful gift!

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Woo Hoo! No cooking here tonight.

I asked, "What would you like for supper?"

He answered, "Mexican."

Easy Peasey ~ We'll go out! I'm not a huge fan and nothing I make is anything like what he orders when we go out. So someone else gets to do the cooking tonight.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina mommy made a pot of meatballs and tomato sauce.
The kids came over to eat. Great garlic bread, and tomato salad.
We had apple pie ala mode for dessert.
My poor next door neighbor came home from a week end in cranberry lake in upstate NY, and finds out his central air crapped out.
What a way to come home from vacation. He took a pic of the wiring diagram on his units door, and he sent it to me. I walked him through the problem over the phone. He had an open Neutral wire that burnt off. He's back in business, and all is Cool. Lucky!

Cookin Lore

Regarding appliances not lasting.................... In 1971 we bought a Woods chest type freezer. It was a special model in that it had two settings. The normal was that it used freezing coils bottom only. Then if you had a large order coming in, you flicked a switch, and there were freezing coils on all sides also. About 15 years ago, we didn't need two freezers any more, so I gave that one to my sister. Last year, they got rid of it. It never quit working, and the lighbulb in it was never changed. Maybe I should have sent it to the factory as an antique! LOL

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We still have the old NORGE that was running when we bought the new basement reefer 2 years ago. It is 55 years old. Nothing fancy, and manual defrost.

Hamburgers tonight.

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add info)

Cookin Lore

We also had a Woods fridge that was all refrigerator on the farm........... Huge thing, beer fridge in our mud room, and great for parties. Bought that in 1985, when I sold the farm in 2014, friends of my son's got it. It still runs great. I have not had any problems with major appliances. Well, there was our first dishwasher that used to turn itself on. In the first three months of ownership we 15 service calls, and then Westinghouse replaced it. There was a glitsch in the electronics, and the replacement lasted until we sold the house 10 years later.

Hamburger for me tonight also.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

My burger was awesome .... It was ground fillet mignon that I ground from the ends of a whole fillet.

Tina buys this new bread from Sarah
lee called Artesano bread. Toasted it lightly for my burger in place of a bun. The bun / bread to meat ratio was perfect.

Nice and cool inside.... 74F. .... Outside is 89.2F didn't hit 90 today

bethk

bethk
Admin

I did a shrimp & vegetable pasta tonight.  Turned out pretty tasty.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 10 07_27_12

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 10 07_27_13

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:

Yes. Mine was 12 large shrimp on skewers, and bbq'd. They served with a green sauce, and an orange one, plus a soy sauce. Tina had pork and mushroom steamed dumplings.
Tina stopped eating because she is allergic to MSG, and she got sick for an hour after just one bite. The spring rolls were small. Like a little finger. I finished them.
Oink Oink .... pig
Lenny had Fillet beef over skinny noodle and they were with a hot spicy white creamy sauce. All & all, it was good, but they raised the prices during this pandemic. 4 people was $104.00. It cost less to eat inside there, but not allowed now.

Thank you Jimmy, I read their menu, I saw some Indonesian foods there, the rest are mostly Thai foods. Sate ( satay), Nasi Goreng ( fried rice), Semur ( like pot roast with nutmeg, cloves and other spices in soy sauce ), and Sumatran Rendang ( if you like spice food, I recommend it, it's very famous, slow cooked beef with bunch of spices, cook with coconut milk, recently Gordon Ramsay went to Sumatra island and learned how to cook it, it was on National Geographic )

Here is the link of how to make Rendang

https://www.thejakartapost.com/life/2020/06/30/gordon-ramsays-beef-rendang-recipe-for-you-to-try-at-home.html

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I did a shrimp & vegetable pasta tonight.  Turned out pretty tasty.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 10 07_27_12

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 10 07_27_13
Now, that is right up my ally. Tomato sauce would kill that dish.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:

Oink Oink .... pig

Thank you Jimmy, I read their menu, I saw some Indonesian foods there, the rest are mostly Thai foods. Sate ( satay), Nasi Goreng ( fried rice), Semur ( like pot roast with nutmeg, cloves and other spices in soy sauce ), and Sumatran Rendang ( if you like spice food, I recommend it, it's very famous, slow cooked beef with bunch of spices, cook with coconut milk, recently Gordon Ramsay went to Sumatra island and learned how to cook it, it was on National Geographic )

Here is the link of how to make Rendang

https://www.thejakartapost.com/life/2020/06/30/gordon-ramsays-beef-rendang-recipe-for-you-to-try-at-home.html

Thank you so much Imelda. I am ignorant of the fact that we don't understand most of the Asian foods. And what they are. It was never introduced to us when we were growing up.
My cousin lived in Bali and said the food was delicious there. He lived there 6 months of the year, and had a live in maid and cook.

Cookin Lore

Paella with a bag of various little sea creatures for me last night. shrimp, mussels, octopus, calamari. Yumm!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was a 'Get-Outta-Dodge-Day' ~ Neighbor Darlene & I went to Orlando.

Went to The Container Store (I had a trash can that didn't fit under my sink that I returned), went to Macy's at the mall & I found a couple tops that were on 'final markdown', had lunch at P.F. Chang's ~ shared chicken lettuce wraps and mandarin salad (YUM!), went to Costco for laundry detergent I like, another package of USDA Prime Ribeye Steaks, etc., stopped at Whole Foods for baby bok choy, daicon radish & their bakery 8 grain bread, and finally to Trader Joe's for all kinds of wonderful treats.

We left at 10:00 a.m. and got home at 6:00 p.m. ~ we should both sleep good tonight!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Today was a 'Get-Outta-Dodge-Day' ~ Neighbor Darlene & I went to Orlando.

Went to The Container Store (I had a trash can that didn't fit under my sink that I returned), went to Macy's at the mall & I found a couple tops that were on 'final markdown', had lunch at P.F. Chang's ~ shared chicken lettuce wraps and mandarin salad (YUM!), went to Costco for laundry detergent I like, another package of USDA Prime Ribeye Steaks, etc., stopped at Whole Foods for baby bok choy, daicon radish & their bakery 8 grain bread, and finally to Trader Joe's for all kinds of wonderful treats.

We left at 10:00 a.m. and got home at 6:00 p.m. ~ we should both sleep good tonight!

You definitely sound like you had a great time. Good to hear that.
Tina had a great day too. She and her friend did the Sams Club trip to Easton PA.
They had nothing on their shelves. She did get some bargains though.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm not a huge fan of shopping for clothes. I'm odd sized (round) and I hate to try things on. I'm super picky.....if I get pants they have to have side pockets and they have to have stretch in the fabric. And I don't like prints or colors other than black, navy or tan. Tops have to have little or no sleeves (I get overheated so often) and there has to be natural material....like cotton. I don't like a lot of the sheer fabrics, especially if they are fitted much at all.....and not tight fitting.

But the reason I prefer the comfortable clothes is because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE shopping at food stores.

But you all probably know that about me..........

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A simple Kraft Macaroni and cheese for supper.

bethk

bethk
Admin

It rained before and after I grilled our burgers ~ ~ HE pulled the grill around to the back courtyard so I wouldn't get wet.....just in case. HE always says he'll hold the umbrella for me but we've tried that and I got SOAKED! So, no thanks for that suggestion any more. LOL

I made butter steamed baby potatoes, French green beans (from Trader Joe's) and an Asian slaw that HE said was 'pretty darn good'.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 10 07_29_11

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had Chinese take out.
Pork fried rice, and egg rolls.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had Chinese take out.
Pork fried rice, and egg rolls.

I'm too lazy to make egg rolls, which I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, but I did make a chicken stirfry that was pretty darn tasty. I used chicken thighs, marinated in the purchased Korean BBQ Sauce (and used in the sauce for the whole dish) and I used my usual carrot, celery, onion & green onion as well as the baby bok choy I bought on my Orlando food shopping spree. I also added some of the chili garlic sauce and had the spice & sweet pretty well balanced for our tastes.

Trader Joe's Basmati Rice came out nice and fluffy.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 10 07_30_11

Cookin Lore

No cooking for me. went for a pedi, and right across from where the spa services place is, there's a takeout restaurant in the mall. They serve the most amazing lobster grilled cheese, so that was my dinner. YUMM! Lots of lobster meat.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum