Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all?

+5
UNCLE JIMMY
NormM
cookingirl
bethk
Cookin Lore
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 14]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper got two thumbs up from HIM......and I have to admit, it was surprisingly good ~ I can only think how much more intense the flavor would have been if I had added some good red wine to the mix. But, beef ragu over noodles and succotash was deemed a 'HIT'! He's even planning on having leftovers on toast later in the week for his lunch. HE doesn't usually mention his lunch plans immediately after a meal. LOL

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 7 04_15_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Chicken soup.... good!...and One of those single serve apple pies from walmart bakery.
April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 7 Img_1821

Cookin Lore

Pan fried ocean perch. cauli flower/carrot and a bit of rice was dinner tonight. yumm!

Bugster2

Bugster2

You can't beat the price of those pies Jimmy.

We had leftover turkey and dressing sandwiches. Katie is still asleep so I don't know what she will eat.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Soup looks good, Jimmy ~ just the thing for a cool night!

Fish seems to be your speciality, Lore ~ such a healthy choice.

Bugs, did you have the turkey AND the dressing cold on your sandwich? Was it hot, like with gravy? That's something I use to fix for Dane after Thanksgiving ~ there was always a lot of gravy leftover so he'd have bread, gravy, turkey, gravy, dressing, gravy ~ and some cranberry jellied sauce smushed on top. Once the holiday was over, other than turkey noodle soup, I didn't want to see or smell the turkey. It's just not one of my favorites. I did eat the leftover dressing and all the vegetables & salads, however. Just not the turkey.

Cookin Lore

For me, it's seafood or beef. Prime rib roasts were on special today, so I bought one for myself. Three ribs. I have no idea yet when I will make it since I can't invite anyone over to help me eat it. LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:You can't beat the price of those pies Jimmy.

We had leftover turkey and dressing sandwiches. Katie is still asleep so I don't know what she will eat.

50 cents a pie.

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Soup looks good, Jimmy ~ just the thing for a cool night!

Fish seems to be your speciality, Lore ~ such a healthy choice.

Bugs, did you have the turkey AND the dressing cold on your sandwich?  Was it hot, like with gravy?  That's something I use to fix for Dane after Thanksgiving ~ there was always a lot of gravy leftover so he'd have bread, gravy, turkey, gravy, dressing, gravy ~ and some cranberry jellied sauce smushed on top.  Once the holiday was over, other than turkey noodle soup, I didn't want to see or smell the turkey.  It's just not one of my favorites.  I did eat the leftover dressing and all the vegetables & salads, however.  Just not the turkey.

Yes, we have the turkey and dressing cold with gobs of mayo. I have tried your version, I think "Friends" calls it the moist maker sandwich but neither Joe nor I really like cranberry sauce.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:For me, it's seafood or beef.  Prime rib roasts were on special today, so I bought one for myself.  Three ribs. I have no idea yet when I will make it since I can't invite anyone over to help me eat it. LOL

But it was a real BARGAIN! LOL

I'm just like you ~ If it's a real deal I'll buy not knowing when I might cook it. But when you do cook it you'll be glad you have it.

Cookin Lore

Yes, it was a real bargain for me. Prime rib here is generally over $10./pound and it was on for $5.99. That's probably not considered a bargain in the US of A! On sis' shopping list was a cheesecake. So, while I am generally not a baker, I think I'll make a cheesecake in the next few days to take there.

Bugster2

Bugster2

$5.99 is a bargain if it is choice.

I ordered a 12qt induction ready stockpot from Wally's and got it. Tramontina is the brand. I needed an induction pot so i could use the induction cooktop outside. Joe hates it when I boil up a turkey frame or bones from something in the house. He hates the smell. I have a nice All Clad but it has an aluminum disk bottom. I wonder if I should donate it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tramontina is the brand of cookware I purchased when I got my induction range. Word of advice: do NOT use the highest heat when bringing to a boil. The metal discolors....not any problem with it, just doesn't look nice.

NormM

NormM

I had an All Clad skillet that I hated.  The reason was the curve of the handle was such that if I didn't pay close attention when I picked it up, it rotated in my hand and dumped the contents on the stove or floor.   I replaced it with a 12-inch Tramontina and love it. As far as I am concerned, the quality is equal to All Clad and the price is much  more reasonable.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, I got rid of your second post....or, technically, your first post......

I have the 'POWER'............

Hahahahahahaha!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:$5.99 is a bargain if it is choice.

I ordered a 12qt induction ready stockpot from Wally's and got it. Tramontina is the brand. I needed an induction pot so i could use the induction cooktop outside. Joe hates it when I boil up a turkey frame or bones from something in the house. He hates the smell. I have a nice All Clad but it has an aluminum disk bottom. I wonder if I should donate it.

Tell Joe, I am the same way with turkey carcass soup.
I WILL NOT EAT IT! AND I H A T E THE SMELL!

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Tramontina is the brand of cookware I purchased when I got my induction range.  Word of advice:  do NOT use the highest heat when bringing to a boil.  The metal discolors....not any problem with it, just doesn't look nice.

I read that warning on the enclosed paperwork. Thanks for warning me though, I might have missed it

Norm, most of my cookware is All Clad. I also hate the fry pans. They burn on the sides. It is in storage. I have a AC saute pan that isn't bad at all. I like some of their pots. My favorite is their 3qt.

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

I make gravy out of the stock and freeze it for the next turkey. On occasion I make something called turkey frame soup with stuffing dumplings. I love it but Joe won't touch it with a ten foot pole. I also use the gravy for turkey pot pie. Joe really loves that one.

I have been looking at the inside of my upright freezer trying to think of ways to hold the bags of frozen foods so they are easier to find and they don't all pour out onto the floor and my feet. For those of you with a freezer, what do you do?

Cookin Lore

I thought that I was the only one who didn't like soup made from a previously roasted turkey or chicken.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

I make gravy out of the stock and freeze it for the next turkey. On occasion I make something called turkey frame soup with stuffing dumplings. I love it but Joe won't touch it with a ten foot pole. I also use the gravy for turkey pot pie. Joe really loves that one.

I have been looking at the inside of my upright freezer trying to think of ways to hold the bags of frozen foods so they are easier to find and they don't all pour out onto the floor and my feet. For those of you with a freezer, what do you do?

The best thing is to at least list and list the shelf it is on / in .
I thought of a string and tag with a number...... hahahahaha pull on the string!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Do any of you use bins to hold the food?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Do any of you use bins to hold the food?

I did when I had a stand-alone upright freezer.

I froze a bunch of stuff 'flat' and then stood them up in a plastic bin on the freezer shelf. Of course I STILL had to pull the whole shebang out because I never remembered what I put in which bin.....but it does keep the stuff from sliding all over the place.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I wanted grouper for supper.....went to the seafood shoppe.  No way am I spending $37/lb. for grouper ~ or any other fish.  I came home with U-12 shrimp which was still $20/lb. but they were pretty tasty.

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 7 04_16_11

NormM

NormM

I was planning on Cornish hens and cake for dinner but the hens didn't get thawed in time so we ordered Mexican and had the cake. It was Hummingbird Cake which Charlie saw on TV and thought it looked good. I don't generally do well with stacked cakes and this one was not photogenic but I took pictures anyway. The recipe said to use three cake pans the same size. I had two and one smaller one so it came out sort of domed shape.

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 7 20200414
April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 7 20200415

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

Next time Norm, divide the batter into thirds. Fill two pans with 2/3 of the batter and bake. Put one layer into the freezer to cool down fast. Remove that layer and place on your plate. Grease and flour that pan and bake the third layer. I do this all of the time and it works for me.

I have injured myself - again. I don't know if there is a break or just a nasty bruise. I was out in the garage trying to talk to Joe while he was rewinding his air compressor hose. It had another coiled hose attached to that one. Joe was stretching and pulling and the coiled hose snapped loose and hit me in the elbow. Hurts like hell and there is a nice lump and bruise. I will probably find out in the morning how bad things are. The pain is starting to ease now. No apology from Joe. It was my fault because I was trying to talk to him.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I don't know Deb.... You're wrecking yourself a little at the time!
Feel better.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum