Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen?

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

51May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Thu May 09, 2019 8:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:When I buy the little 'twin' pork tenderloins I always take the time to trim them of the silver skin, etc. and take off the odd shaped ends to slice up for my sweet & sour pork.  Then I'm usually left with two nicely shaped pork roasts to either pan roast or put on the grill.

Today I wanted some roasted beets so it was pan roasted pork.....also threw in a sweet potato as long as I was going to have the oven on.

I had picked up another brand of Sweet Kale Salad (Dole) because it was on sale.  The ingredients were very similar to the one I get at Sam's Club/Wal Mart but it wasn't anywhere as good, in our opinion, to the other.  It was suppose to have shaved Brussels sprouts and with the Sam's one I always have to trim them down in size, basically making them bite size.  I sorted through the bag of Dole's and found TWO slices of very small Brussels sprouts.  This one had romaine and Napa cabbage, also, which doesn't hold up if you want to save the leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.  Glad it was on sale......I won't make the mistake of buying it again.

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 05_09_10

It all looks so good Beth!

I always pull the silver skin off and trim the uglies off the tenderloin.

Today is a bowl of Pasta e Fagioli that Tina made.
I was planning on hot dogs with onions and mustard.

52May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Fri May 10, 2019 6:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, Jimmy.....just so you don't feel bad about having a super cheat day ~ ~ It happens to EVERYONE!

You know I try to cook on a moderately low-carb diet, mainly because Dane nags at me if I don't....LOL Well, yesterday at the grocery store I saw some cubed steaks on sale. The package had three LITTLE pieces of chewed up beef. And all I could think of was......

CHICKEN FRIED STEAK WITH MILK GRAVY OVER MASHED POTATOES !!!!!!!!!

I mean, that was the first thought I had when I saw it. And I've cooked it in my mind three times between yesterday and today just thinking how good it would be browned in some oil/BACON GREASE.

So, you know what? It was absolutely every bit as good as I hungered for.

And I don't feel one bit guilty. Actually, I feel pretty darn good. Hahahahahaha

I probably won't make this meal again for a year or so, but if I had deprived myself of it I know I would have found other things just as bad (or worse) for my body to ingest....

And Mr. Amazing ate his fair share, too! (And I don't think HE'S sorry, either.)

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 05_10_10

53May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Fri May 10, 2019 9:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:OK, Jimmy.....just so you don't feel bad about having a super cheat day ~ ~ It happens to EVERYONE!

You know I try to cook on a moderately low-carb diet, mainly because Dane nags at me if I don't....LOL  Well, yesterday at the grocery store I saw some cubed steaks on sale.  The package had three LITTLE pieces of chewed up beef.  And all I could think of was......

CHICKEN FRIED STEAK WITH MILK GRAVY OVER MASHED POTATOES  !!!!!!!!!

I mean, that was the first thought I had when I saw it.  And I've cooked it in my mind three times between yesterday and today just thinking how good it would be browned in some oil/BACON GREASE.  

So, you know what?  It was absolutely every bit as good as I hungered for.  

And I don't feel one bit guilty.  Actually, I feel pretty darn good.  Hahahahahaha

I probably won't make this meal again for a year or so, but if I had deprived myself of it I know I would have found other things just as bad (or worse) for my body to ingest....

And Mr. Amazing ate his fair share, too!  (And I don't think HE'S sorry, either.)

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 05_10_10

Massively delicious looking!

54May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Fri May 10, 2019 9:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hot dogs never made it to the stove. It was Mrs. T's pierogi.
Tina fried tons of onions to have with them.....and would you believe?
We sat down, and in front of the plated pierogi, I said, "Hone, could you grab the sour cream?"...... Guess what? ...... N O N E !!!! darn it

55May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sat May 11, 2019 12:13 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

My father loved chicken fried steak.

Tonight was baked salmon with an asian sauce, another salad with blueberries, quinoa, avocado etc and carrot fries.

56May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sat May 11, 2019 10:12 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

How did you make your carrot fries, Bugs?

###########################

NO sour cream??? How could you eat them?...........oh, yeah, lots of onions to help 'em slip down! By the way..........did I say, "YUM!!!"

57May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sat May 11, 2019 12:52 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Garlic Parmesan Carrot Fries
Prep Time: 2 -4
Cook Time: pt20m

Whole, fresh carrots cut into fries, coated with garlic, parmesan, and olive oil, roasted until crispy., and served with the perfect lemony, garlic Greek yogurt dipping sauce. Inspired by Tasty.
Author: Emily

Recipe Type: Easy, Gluten-free

Total Time: PT25M
3 large carrots peeled, ends cut off.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup full fat plain greek yogurt
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional

Yield: 2 -4

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit

Cut carrots lengthwise into "fries".

Next, mix olive oil, parmesan, garlic powder, parsley, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Add carrots and toss to coat.

Place carrots on baking sheet, and bake for 15-20 minutes until carrots are soft and starting to get slightly crispy. Turn carrots over halfway through baking.

While carrots are baking, mix Greek yogurt with lemon juice, garlic powder, parsley, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to make the dipping sauce.

When carrots have finished baking, let cool slightly and serve with dipping sauce.

Source: boundbyfood.com

We thought they were very good.

Dinner got held because we were glued to the TV watchinganother police pursuit. They seem to be a daily event. This time the passanger was hanging out of the window with what looked like a 44 magnum shooting at the police. It was intersting to watch how the police dealt with the situation.

58May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sat May 11, 2019 1:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:How did you make your carrot fries, Bugs?

###########################

NO sour cream???  How could you eat them?...........oh, yeah, lots of onions to help 'em slip down!   By the way..........did I say, "YUM!!!"

Onions and BUTTER !

59May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sat May 11, 2019 1:55 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe's now on a low fat high protein diet so, minimal amount of butter can be used. I don't know how long he can stick to it. This morning he insisted upon 5 poached eggs, 2 pices of toast with lite butter and jam, a hash brown patty and two pices of bacon. Low fat my a--! He weighs 235 and should be at 175. Has himself a ponza that needs to go away.

60May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sat May 11, 2019 2:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

"You can lead them to water but you can't force them to drink....". Actually very good analogy for men who "want" to diet. If it's not them deciding to eat right then you're just wasting your time trying to help. I can remember, years ago, when we both should have dropped a few pounds, and I tried to cut back on carbs. He got furious and insisted he HAD TO HAVE meat, potatoes and a vegetable in every supper. Now that it's HIS decision, I can skip potatoes any time I want.

61May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sat May 11, 2019 6:00 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe talks a good game.

62May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sat May 11, 2019 6:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided to grill some bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs tonight. I always use the gas grill for this because I like to put the seasoned thighs in a foil pan (this particular foil pan previously held some bakery cinnamon rolls.....and now I don't have to care if I toss it!) until all the grossly huge amount of fat is cooked off. Then I can crisp them up on the grill without having to call the fire department to extinguish the massive flames shooting off the grill.

The cabbage got the addition of a shaved carrot because (you know this one....) I happen to like the color it adds. That, and I think the carrot adds just a tiny bit of sweetness in case the cabbage is a tad bit old. This cabbage was super fresh so it tasted great! I just sliced it up and added it to a pot with a lid, a little water and about 2 Tbsp. of butter ~ everything tastes better with butter ~ and let it simmer away until tender, about 15 minutes. Most of the water was evaporated (actually I added a couple more tablespoons of water because I didn't want to take the chance it would scorch.

The squash was just the second half of the one I baked the other day.....reheated in the microwave.

Easy peasey. Supper done.

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 05_11_10

63May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sat May 11, 2019 8:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

First of all, I want to wish all a Happy Mothers Day; including Moms that take care of others as a Mother would.

The rest of the gang is up at Mattars Bistro to celebrate son Jimmy's 50th birthday.The dessert will be back here at the house. No cake! But, we had his favorite cannoli delivered from Mikes Pastry from Boston Mass.

They send 10 shells wrapped in paper and in between Bubble wrap ( bubbies ).
Then the filling and chocolate chips and confectioners powder. The girls will pipe in the filing with a piping bag they furnish in the kit.

I didn't go to the restaurant. I was in a tired mode yesterday and today.

64May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sat May 11, 2019 8:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks for the wishes, Jimmy. Sorry you aren't feeling up to going out.

I'm watching a PBS cooking show, Nick Stellino. He made a rigatoni dish you would love. It had deep fried eggplant cubes....flash fried so it doesn't absorb the oil like it does when you pan sauté eggplant. Interesting concept and makes sense for soft cooked eggplant that's not soggy.

65May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sat May 11, 2019 8:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Thanks for the wishes, Jimmy.  Sorry you aren't feeling up to going out.

I'm watching a PBS cooking show, Nick Stellino. He made a rigatoni dish you would love. It had deep fried eggplant cubes....flash fried so it doesn't absorb the oil like it does when you pan sauté eggplant. Interesting concept and makes sense for soft cooked eggplant that's not soggy.

Thanks Beth.

The fried egg plant recipe sounds exactly like I would enjoy!

66May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sat May 11, 2019 8:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think I found it! (Watch the video and then make it as you like it....)

http://www.nickstellino.com/Recipes/Menu/Recipe/?men=20&rec=841

67May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sat May 11, 2019 11:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I think I found it!    (Watch the video and then make it as you like it....)

http://www.nickstellino.com/Recipes/Menu/Recipe/?men=20&rec=841

Thank you Beth for doing that. I tried looking for it, but I gave up!

It looks so good! .... Here is the picture ....

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 505a10

68May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 12, 2019 12:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Here's the link to the video in case you didn't see it.....

Copy And Paste This Link Into Your Email To Share:
http://www.nickstellino.com/Video/Play.aspx?v=505a

69May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 12, 2019 1:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Here's the link to the video in case you didn't see it.....

Copy And Paste This Link Into Your Email To Share:
http://www.nickstellino.com/Video/Play.aspx?v=505a

Thank You!

70May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 12, 2019 3:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We just cleaned up from the Mothers Day brunch sort of orchestrated by DD and DIL. Egg casserole bake / French toast casserole / fruits / cheese / sausages / bacon / taylor ham / crescent rolls / chocolate dipped strawberries / .....whew! enough!

Tonight, will be eggplant rollatini with meatballs and macaroni on the side.
It's 2:15, and belly is full, and the recliner is calling me to take a nap! I'm ready!

71May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 12, 2019 6:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy Mother's Day ~ to all the moms out there!  (and a Great Day to the dads who have had to be a mom on occasion.....)

Dane had suggested we go out to eat and it was my definate, "NO!  Thanks anyway ~ I'd rather cook!"

I did make a special run to the store (5 minutes on the golf cart.......not exactly a sacrifice on MY part ~ LOL).

I wanted grilled asparagus and there wasn't any in my refrigerator.

As you can see, I managed to pull off one of my favorite meals:

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 05_12_10

72May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 12, 2019 7:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Happy Mother's Day ~ to all the moms out there!  (and a Great Day to the dads who have had to be a mom on occasion.....)

Dane had suggested we go out to eat and it was my definate, "NO!  Thanks anyway ~ I'd rather cook!"

I did make a special run to the store (5 minutes on the golf cart.......not exactly a sacrifice on MY part ~ LOL).

I wanted grilled asparagus and there wasn't any in my refrigerator.

As you can see, I managed to pull off one of my favorite meals:

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 05_12_10

Oh wow! Good good good!

73May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 12, 2019 10:06 pm

Niagara Visitor

Cooking for my sis and her family again. Today and tomorrow. She has an appointment for a consult with her oncology team tomorrow. Her daughter flies in from New York, son comes from Toronto, so I am making potato salad, tabouleh salad, (have all the veggies chopped for that). Tomorrow I put it together, make the potato salad and will do some chicken in the oven for them. Metastazised breast cancer, now in her spine, spleen and lungs. It is not going away any more. So, I do what I can. We all have to eat, I like to cook.

74May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 12, 2019 10:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Prayers for your sister, you and the entire family.

75May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 12, 2019 11:58 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Tonight was corn, black bean, quinoa tacos with avocado crema. It actually was very good and vitully no fat. Katie and Joe wolfed them down.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum