Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking??

+3
Niagara Visitor
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

So far... raisin bread for breakfast. Toasted and buttered.

Tacos for lunch that were left over from last night.

Dinner / Supper ???? No clue what to eat. It's 4:30 now, and no clue.

2APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:13 pm

NormM

NormM

There were a couple of appetizer recipes I wanted to try before adding them to a list of things I'd like to make for company. These were OK but I don't think they will make the list.APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? 20190410

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:13 pm

NormM

NormM

There were a couple of appetizer recipes I wanted to try before adding them to a list of things I'd like to make for company. These were OK but I don't think they will make the list.APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? 20190410

4APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:29 pm

Niagara Visitor

Very basic dinner tonight. Chicken leg quarters and a salad. I love dark meat.

5APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I wanted to use anything still usable in the refrigerator so I settled on chicken enchiladas even though we went out for Mexican with the kids last night.

It's easy and something that I don't usually have leftovers at the end of the meal.

APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? 04_01_10

APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? 04_01_11

6APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had a can of sardines with chilis and olive oil. A slice of stale rye bread.

Tina made a lemon chiffon pie. Soon, that will be dessert with a fresh brewed Krispy Kreme coffee!

7APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn & I went to a couple stores in Ocala (20 minutes away) so we could get outta 'Dodge'.....I wanted a couple new tops and she wanted to look for a dress to wear to her dad's 100th birthday party in Cleveland in May. We both found what we were looking for. We went to lunch at a new chain restaurant, Cheddar's Kitchen, and decided it was pretty good ~ one we could take the guys to for an early supper sometime. We always like to check places out BEFORE we suggest it to the men. We know what they like and there's nothing worse than going someplace new to them and having them pout and sit there because they don't think there's anything on a 4 page menu they'd like.

I knew I needed some ground chuck from Fresh Market (today's Tuesday ~ $2.99/lb. ground chuck special) so I stopped on the way home from dropping Lyn off. We had burgers on the grill and I also picked up some broccoli slaw from the Fresh Market Deli. Can't get a whole lot easier than that for supper.

APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? 04_02_10

8APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:40 pm

NormM

NormM

I tried out a new indoor smokeless grill. I got it to use on the table but the infrared heating elements are too bright to use at the table so I used it in the kitchen with steaks. They turned out well.APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? 20190412
APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? 20190411

9APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Norm, looks like you've got Dante's Inferno goin on with that grill.

Those Purgatory steaks look good. What brand is the grill?
I have one, but it doesn't glow like yours does.

Beth .....The burger looks great.

10APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina roasted a chicken.... ( a small one ) and made stove top stuffing; carrots and celery cooked in the chicken.
Lemon chiffon pie for dessert.

11APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:57 pm

NormM

NormM

The grill brand is Philips.  The heating is infrared and they are off to the side so drippings don't touch them and so it doesn't smoke either.

12APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:52 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I was wondering if your grill was infrared. It looks really nice.

No dinner tonight. I made Joe a large Denver omelet for breakfast and later he had a protein drink, so he is full. I nibbled on some cold leftover omelet. I baked the cats a couple of chicken tenders for dinner. Smidge and Noogie are fully packed and should be full until ten. Katie was eating something and just dumped her dish in the sink for me to wash. It really irritates me but I haven't had the nerve to tell her to rinse her dish and put it in the dishwasher. I am not her maid and she is no longer a child.

I was reading about pho. I can't stand the stuff because it has star anise in it but I was reading that the secret ingredient they use in Vietnam is dried peanut worms. I'll pass. LOL.

13APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:29 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, my friend has a large "smokeless" grill. She loves it for burgers and vegetables, as we'll as fish, cooked countertop. She likes that the cleanup is so easy with the nonstick grates. She does use it a lot for grilled vegetables to chop and use mixed with rice for easy fried rice without frying.

I'm sure you'll love it for Charlie's kalbi.

14APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:27 pm

NormM

NormM

The smokeless grill works fine but I don't expect to use it much now that it is getting nice enough to cook outside. It will come in handy during the winter though.

15APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I saw a bag of fresh cioppino at Costco the other day. Has anyone tried it?

I just saw the funniest gadget for making sushi. It is called the sushi bazooka.

https://www.thekitchn.com/sushi-bazooka-product-review-267472?utm_source=k_daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=04032019&recip_id=2277844

16APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm not a sushi fan so it's not a gadget I'd pick up. Even with the suggestions for other uses it's not going on my wish list. LOL

17APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Grilled a steak over hardwood charcoal.....turned it into a steak salad:

APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? 04_03_10

18APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:31 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had a bunch of halves for supper. Sandwiches that is!
DW went shopping with her friend, at Henninger's market, in Myerstown, Pennsylvania all day.
She brought back Liverwurst, salami, pickle pimento, roast beef, and a variety of cheeses sliced. So, I had a 1/2 sandwich of each. Full like a pig, I fell asleep on the recliner.
( burp*)

19APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:57 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

About all we do is go out to eat anymore.....late, late lunch after his golf scrambles yesterday. I'll cook something for supper tonight (unless someone calls to suggest dinner out ~ LOL) and then on Saturday it's my 'Ladies' who lunch' group.

I did get some London Broil from the store yesterday.....on sale, buy one/get one. So I've got them in the Provencal Marinade in the freezer, ready to be put on the grill whenever. I think it's the marinade we like best, although the beer/orange marmalade one is another favorite. I haven't made that one in a long time.....maybe I'll try it with some chicken one of these days, even though chicken doesn't really need much when you want to stick it on the grill.

20APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled a skin-on boneless chicken breast from the freezer this morning and then went through my recipe file on the computer for an idea of what to make.

Even though I'm only cooking one piece of chicken breast I decided on a recipe Chef June posted way back on the cooking.com forum. It's a recipe for red wine / creme fraiche sauced chicken. I had just seen creme fraiche at the store so l'm sure that's what made me decide on this recipe. June said it was a favorite of her cooking students.

Last edited by bethk on Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

21APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was deemed a "success" by HIM.....a tasty dish, to be sure. I can imagine it would have been better if I had followed the directions to a 'T' and used a whole cut up chicken or even bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs. If I make it again (for a company dish so I have enough people to help eat it) I will try to reduce the red wine vinegar a bit more than I did tonight because I had to continue to reduce after the creme fraiche was stirred in. Fortunately, creme fraiche doesn't curdle or separate when boiled so that's a good thing.

APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? 04_05_10

And since June posted the recipe originally on a cooking site I feel confident it's OK to share it with you here.

Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar Sauce

I include this divine Lyonnaise dish in a class I have taught many times featuring four (and sometimes five!) chicken dishes from different parts of France. Many of my students are put off by the title of the recipe, but when the class is over, they almost unanimously declare this dish to be their favorite!

makes 6 servings

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
one whole chicken (about 4 pounds) cut into 10 pieces—you could use all breasts or all leg portions if you prefer, but the meat should be on the bone)
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 shallots, finely chopped
1 cup top quality red wine vinegar (I use Heinz!)
1 cup crème fraîche (or heavy cream, preferably not ultrapasteurized)
finely chopped fresh (flat-leaf) parsley for garnish

1. Mix salt and pepper together in a small bowl.

2. Heat the oil and melt the butter in a deep-sided 12-inch sauté pan over medium-high heat. (If your pan isn’t large enough to hold all the chicken in a single layer, use 2 smaller pans, and put half the chicken, oil, and butter in each one.) Rub the chicken pieces with the salt and pepper mixture. When the oil is hot but not smoking, use tongs to add the chicken, skin side down. Brown on both sides until the skin becomes beautifully golden brown, and the chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 12 minutes on each side.

3. Remove the chicken to a serving platter and cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm. Pour off about one-half the fat in the pan. Add the shallots to the remaining oil and brown over medium high heat. Slowly add the vinegar to the skillet and boil until reduced by half. (The fumes will definitely clear your sinuses—great for a cold!!) Add the crème fraîche and cook until the mixture is well blended and has turned a nutty brown color, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan to coat thoroughly and heat briefly in the sauce.

PS It's also delicious to sub pork chops for the chicken.

22APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:39 pm

NormM

NormM

I did shrimp and sausage kebabs on the grill today. It started out this morning seeming too cold to cook outside but by 4:30 it was nice out. APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? 20190414
APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? 20190413

23APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW!!! What a great "first grill of the year", Norm.

24APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made Manhattan clam chowder. We didn't like it.
Too many diced tomatoes.

In the oven, there is a pan of Melanzane Polpette baking.
( eggplant meatballs )...... Our favorite beef meatball mix, and added cubed blanched eggplant. Formed into flat large meatballs and baked in the oven in tomatoes crushed.
We will wait till the clock strikes 12 midnight before sample them. ( Meatless
Friday )

25APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:19 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Supper was deemed a "success" by HIM.....a tasty dish, to be sure.  I can imagine it would have been better if I had followed the directions to a 'T' and used a whole cut up chicken or even bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs.  If I make it again (for a company dish so I have enough people to help eat it) I will try to reduce the red wine vinegar a bit more than I did tonight because I had to continue to reduce after the creme fraiche was stirred in.  Fortunately, creme fraiche doesn't curdle or separate when boiled so that's a good thing.  

APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? 04_05_10

And since June posted the recipe originally on a cooking site I feel confident it's OK to share it with you here.  

Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar Sauce

I include this divine Lyonnaise dish in a class I have taught many times featuring four (and sometimes five!) chicken dishes from different parts of France. Many of my students are put off by the title of the recipe, but when the class is over, they almost unanimously declare this dish to be their favorite!

makes 6 servings

That is a LOT of vinegar. Not too much?

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
one whole chicken (about 4 pounds) cut into 10 pieces—you could use all breasts or all leg portions if you prefer, but the meat should be on the bone)
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 shallots, finely chopped
1 cup top quality red wine vinegar (I use Heinz!)
1 cup crème fraîche (or heavy cream, preferably not ultrapasteurized)
finely chopped fresh (flat-leaf) parsley for garnish

1. Mix salt and pepper together in a small bowl.

2. Heat the oil and melt the butter in a deep-sided 12-inch sauté pan over medium-high heat. (If your pan isn’t large enough to hold all the chicken in a single layer, use 2 smaller pans, and put half the chicken, oil, and butter in each one.) Rub the chicken pieces with the salt and pepper mixture. When the oil is hot but not smoking, use tongs to add the chicken, skin side down. Brown on both sides until the skin becomes beautifully golden brown, and the chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 12 minutes on each side.

3. Remove the chicken to a serving platter and cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm. Pour off about one-half the fat in the pan. Add the shallots to the remaining oil and brown over medium high heat. Slowly add the vinegar to the skillet and boil until reduced by half. (The fumes will definitely clear your sinuses—great for a cold!!) Add the crème fraîche and cook until the mixture is well blended and has turned a nutty brown color, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan to coat thoroughly and heat briefly in the sauce.

PS It's also delicious to sub pork chops for the chicken.  

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum