Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen?

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

151May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Mon May 27, 2019 7:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was hot, Hot, HOT today......98° for most of the day. Needless to say, we both spent the day in the house. But this evening we had a very minor rain storm crop up. It's amazing how a bit of breeze and cloud cover can drop the temperature from 98° to 84° in less than an hour. If it would just stay cool until it's dark outside it would be fine with me.

I made a super simple holiday meal. I braised some Johnsonville brats in a bottle of beer and then grilled them to brown them a bit. I made some herb-y macaroni salad this morning ~ elbow macaroni, celery, hard cooked eggs with a dressing of mayo, Miracle Whip, sour cream, a bit of yellow mustard, some vinegar syrup and a pile of chopped chives, parsley & dill. It sat in the refrigerator for about 6 or 7 hours and got nicely melded in flavors. And I managed to make just about enough. I think there's just a small serving left in the refrigerator for a lunch serving another day.

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 05_27_10

Dane likes his hot banana peppers ~ they're just too spicy for me. But I can't figure out what to do with the abundance of WAY TOO MANY HOT PEPPERS! He's got a dozen peppers already in the refrigerator......I just don't want to can them but I may just have to.

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 05_27_11

152May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Mon May 27, 2019 8:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just finished clean up for Memorial Day. I cooked ( with the help of DD ) pork ribs; chicken breast.... all with Mad Hunky Rub / corn on the cob / hamburgers and foil pouch potatoes, on the grill.

The kids were all here, except Meranda and the new baby. They are still in maternity ward at the hospital.

Liam gives his sister her first kiss from her big brother...

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Img_6711

153May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Mon May 27, 2019 9:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The Good news..... and the bad news!

Good = Tina takes no more pain meds. She walks around to the kitchen with no moaning. It seems she is on the mend fast.... Thank God, and all the thoughts and prayers from all here and elsewhere.

The BAD = We were all eating inside, and we heard a sharp whistle, and then
a bang like a car collision...
The lights and alarms were flashing on Tinas car in the driveway, and the front right was with no space on the top wheel well. The Strut / shock absorber blew and the fluid inside the strut leaked and sprayed all over.

154May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 7:09 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, NO!

But the good news.....Tina wasn't IN the car! Thank God for that. The car can be repaired or replaced. It'll be a PITA but at least no one was injured.

That gives her one more reason to stay home and continue to get better.

155May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 10:39 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Never heard of a shock exploding. I will tell Joe. He probably knows about it. The only thing that goes "BANG" around here is when a garage door spring gives way.

Last night was grilled rib eyes with an onion-bleu cheese sauce. It was quite tasty. I made some planks of cauliflower, seasoned with a spice mix, to go on a the grill. We were not impressed with the outcome.

I cleaned out some cookbooks I never use, checked the value on Ebay, decided that although I might be able to make $75, it just isn't worth the trouble. I am going to donate them to Goodwill or the library store. Kate said she wanted to look at them before I got rid of them but Katie talks a good game: it won't happen. A month ago I bought her a gallon of vinegar to clean out her coffee maker because her water pitcher is green from slime and she thinks her coffee maker may be in the same condition. She hasn't done anything. The pitcher is still green and she now microwaves her tea water. Sigh! I have never, ever met anyone so lazy, so inert in my life.

156May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 12:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Never heard of a shock exploding. I will tell Joe. He probably knows about it. The only thing that goes "BANG" around here is when a garage door spring gives way.

Last night was grilled rib eyes with an onion-bleu cheese sauce. It was quite tasty. I made some planks of cauliflower, seasoned with a spice mix, to go on a the grill. We were not impressed with the outcome.

I cleaned out some cookbooks I never use, checked the value on Ebay, decided that although I might be able to make $75, it just isn't worth the trouble. I am going to donate them to Goodwill or the library store. Kate said she wanted to look at them before I got rid of them but Katie talks a good game: it won't happen. A month ago I bought her a gallon of vinegar to clean out her coffee maker because her water pitcher is green from slime and she thinks her coffee maker may be in the same condition. She hasn't done anything. The pitcher is still green and she now microwaves her tea water. Sigh! I have never, ever met anyone so lazy, so inert in my life.

Yeah Debbie, Joe would know. I just had it driven to the garage, and it is riding on the bump stop. The mechanic said he never heard of a strut / shock blowing from just sitting cold in the driveway! Haaaaa!

157May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 12:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, NO!

But the good news.....Tina wasn't IN the car!  Thank God for that.  The car can be repaired or replaced.  It'll be a PITA but at least no one was injured.

That gives her one more reason to stay home and continue to get better.

Yeah Beth. Thank god it didn't happen on the road while she was driving. + You are right about staying home. Getting better is easier not carrying bags of groceries with a bad arm. affraid

158May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 3:15 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Charlie requested Martini Chicken with egg noodles and Alfredo sauce so that is what we had.

Charlie is a lucky man, Norm! Do you ask him at night what he wants for dinner the next night, or do you ask him before he leaves for work in the morning?

It's so nice to walk in the house after work and immediately smell dinner!

159May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 5:39 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Jimmy, I got a recipe on my feed with your Rice Krispies treats recipe. It wasn't called Dom D's but it was the same except they toasted the Rice Krispies and browned the butter. I can't wait to try it.

The second recipe was for the RK bars thrown on the grill till they got grill marks on both sides. I have always loved toasted marshmallows so I am going to try that too.

160May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 7:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

One of Lyn's cars needed to go to Orlando for service today so, as per our 'friend agreement', she asked me to drive her.…..('friend agreement' ~ anytime we can find an excuse to Get Outta Dodge together, we do!)

We ended up going to a place called The Hash House.

She had a grilled meatloaf melt sandwich and a salad.

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 05_28_10

I had a Fried Green Tomato / Chicken Salad Stack that came with a baseball sized biscuit.

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 05_28_11

There was entirely too much food to eat but it no longer bothers me. I know I'm not going to take the leftovers home so I eat what I want and leave the rest.

161May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 7:49 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

What the heck is that on the watermellon?

162May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 7:51 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Jimmy, I asked Joe about the exploding shock. He has never heard of it happening but said it is possible if they are gas shocks. Well, now he knows that shocks can explode.

163May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 7:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:What the heck is that on the watermellon?

That's a stack of fried green tomatoes with chicken salad spooned between ~ I dismantled it to eat it. It was suppose to have goat cheese on the top but, no surprise, I ordered it WITHOUT the cheese.

And to be honest, it was very tasty, just too much. But the presentation was way overboard!

It was like getting an appetizer (fried green tomato), main dish (chicken salad) and dessert (watermelon) all on one plate!

The plate was drizzled with a basalmic glaze and sprinkled with multicolored peppers. Oh, and there was a little dish of peach preserves to add to the biscuit.

164May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 7:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Heads up!

Judy (JanaAZ) posted a tomato tart in the appetizer thread.....looks pretty tasty!

165May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 7:58 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It looked big enough to feed a family of five.

166May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 8:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Jimmy, I asked Joe about the exploding shock. He has never heard of it happening but said it is possible if they are gas shocks. Well, now he knows that shocks can explode.

Well.... Dr Jimmy didn't inspect it because He was in pain yesterday, but all the neighbours said it was the shock.
The truth is..... It was NOT the shock! affraid
It was the coil spring. It broke in half, and the front left crushed down.
The story is..... On the MB E-350 4matic, they had too much weight in the front end, and the spring was too light to handle the load.
It is not warranted for a second owner; unless I purchased an extended warranty.

167May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 8:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was what we call Mikes casserole. Burger meat fried then tomato jarred sauce added. Oregano mixed veggies and topped with blue tube biscuits and swiss cheese.
Baked 350 F till browned and bubbly.
It was good.

168May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 9:13 pm

NormM

NormM

Michelle, Charlie works from home these days.  9 times out of 10, if I ask him what he wants for dinner, he says he doesn't know.  Once in a while he will ask if I can make something sometime soon and it is usually early enough in the day that I can do it that same day.  Lately most of the time now days, we both decide what take out to get for dinner about the time he checks out.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

169May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 10:09 pm

Niagara Visitor

Your Memorial Day dinners look amazing! I've been out of town for a few days with my sister and her grand daughter. Granddaughter has been living with sis for almost 5 years, and it's time to fly the nest. So we wet to Cornwall, ON. to look for apartments. Chrissy grew u in Montreal, but does not want to go back there. Cornwall is only about an hour from Montreal, but still in Ontario. The province of Quebec is sort of like a country of its own with some very restrictive laws, but I won't get into that here.

Anyway, we were gone for 4 days, I drove about 1200 miles, but she's got an apartment that she can have on June 1. So, successful trip. I am exhausted and am tired of takeout food. Tomorrow I will cook!

170May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 10:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good to have you back, Lore. It's always fun to travel for a bit. It's even better to get home again!

171May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 10:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Oh Yes!.... "There is No Place Like Home!"

172May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Tue May 28, 2019 10:48 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Norm, I read there was a tornado out in your neck of the woods. Was it close to you?

173May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Wed May 29, 2019 9:05 am

NormM

NormM

There was tornado damage in Lawrence and Bonner Springs.  That is around 25 miles north and west of here.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

174May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Wed May 29, 2019 11:21 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Too close Norm!

175May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Wed May 29, 2019 11:57 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm watching the news now, and they showed area's in Douglas county Kansas.

My area was spared, but 12 miles east, they had trees pulled up and felled onto roofs.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum