Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen?

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

126May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Thu May 23, 2019 10:56 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am sorry hat Tina is in pain. Perhaps tthey have another type of pain pill that will work better.

127May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Thu May 23, 2019 11:58 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I am sorry hat Tina is in pain. Perhaps tthey have another type of pain pill that will work better.

Thanks Deb.
I have oxycodone acetaminophen 5-325 that I will give her.
They say the oxycodone works better...
She is at the Dr now for post op. What a bear trying to get her dressed.
OMG..... I gave he a trouser that had a wrinkle, and she flipped out.
I said, who the hell is gonna know or care about that.

128May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Thu May 23, 2019 12:02 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Oxycodone should do the trick.

129May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Thu May 23, 2019 12:19 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Oxycodone should do the trick.

Yay- Very Happy Yugh

130May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Thu May 23, 2019 4:43 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Jimmy, I remember when I had my arthroscopic surgery, and before that, when I broke my upper arm, along with dislocating my shoulder..

I was on oxy... actually Vicodin.. the oxy got me sick..

I am sorry Tina is in so much pain.. I was using ice packs, constantly.. forget the x hours on x hours off.. I kept them on until they got warm, my shoulder was numb..

I was AHEAD of the pain.. I kept taking the pills at the prescribed time.. not waiting to feel it..

Yes, stool softeners were needed, as well as Myralax for the constipation..

When I had the surgery, I was fortunate that my surgeon prescribed and ice machine. That thing saved me...

For clothes.. I wore pull up pants.. did not care about how I looked.. button down shirts.. or a tank top.. nothing with straps.. and the tops were XXLarge, so that I did not have any pulling..

I did need help...

Which arm is it? Is it Tina's dominant arm?

I did not feel like eating much, but forced myself to eat sandwiches.. The first days were just jury easy things.. bread and butter, peanut butter--out of the jar.. Yogurt... Those Peanut butter crackers, just when I was taking the meds...

My favorite snack food was Peanut M&M's.. I got addicted to them..

Keep the ice pack on...

The bed is really not the best place for her.. It puts too much strain on her shoulder--getting up, down, and just lying there..

The best place is the recliner.. with a small pillow under her surgery arm, to support it...

I know I sound bossy.. but... I really understand..

If I can, I will call you..

131May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Thu May 23, 2019 4:43 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Jimmy, I remember when I had my arthroscopic surgery, and before that, when I broke my upper arm, along with dislocating my shoulder..

I was on oxy... actually Vicodin.. the oxy got me sick..

I am sorry Tina is in so much pain.. I was using ice packs, constantly.. forget the  x hours on x hours off.. I kept them on until they got warm, my shoulder was numb..

I was AHEAD of the pain.. I kept taking the pills at the prescribed time.. not waiting to feel it..

Yes, stool softeners were needed, as well as Myralax for the constipation..

When I had the surgery, I was fortunate that my surgeon prescribed and ice machine. That thing saved me...

For clothes.. I wore pull up pants.. did not care about how I looked.. button down shirts.. or a tank top.. nothing with straps.. and the tops were XXLarge, so that I did not have any pulling..

I did need help...

Which arm is it? Is it Tina's dominant arm?

I did not feel like eating much, but forced myself to eat sandwiches.. The first days were just jury easy things.. bread and butter, peanut butter--out of the jar.. Yogurt... Those Peanut butter crackers, just when I was taking the meds...

My favorite snack food was Peanut M&M's.. I got addicted to them..

Keep the ice pack on...

The bed is really not the best place for her.. It puts too much strain on her shoulder--getting up, down, and just lying there..

The best place is the recliner.. with a small pillow under her surgery arm, to support it...

I know I sound bossy.. but... I really understand..

If I can, I will call you..

132May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Thu May 23, 2019 6:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know the 3rd day is always the worst.....but my fingers are crossed some of the pain lets up soon for Ms. Tina. It's hell getting through stuff like this. Tell her prayers are being said.

I looked in the back of the freezer and spied a suspicious looking package ~ thank goodness I label my stuff! A half rack of ribs, just the right size for two.

I had a couple ears of corn so I made his favorite creamed corn with the 'Dixie Dust' spicy seasoning, just heated up the second half of the red beets I had cooked the other day and used the last head of romaine for wilted lettuce salad.

The ribs came out 'perfect' for us ~ there wasn't enough to start up a grill for so I just steamed them on a baby rack in the oven for an hour or so with a bit of the 'Simply Peach' juice poured under for moisture. Then I slapped on some Sweet Baby Ray's and turned on the broiler for a few minutes to sticky up the sauce. They were almost 'pull-off-the-bone' tender, but still had a bit of bite. Dane even mentioned the rib rub I had patted on before steaming tasted pretty good. I think I must have added a bit of allspice to the mix. As usual, I haven't a clue since I never write anything down. LOL

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 05_23_10

133May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Thu May 23, 2019 7:08 pm

Niagara Visitor

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I am sorry hat Tina is in pain. Perhaps tthey have another type of pain pill that will work better.

Thanks Deb.
I have oxycodone acetaminophen 5-325 that I will give her.
They say the oxycodone works better...
She is at the Dr now for post op. What a bear trying to get her dressed.
OMG..... I gave he a trouser that had a wrinkle, and she flipped out.
I said, who the hell is gonna know or care about that.

Different pain killers work differently for different people. My sister's Oxycodone does not work for her as well as something with codeine.

Not much cooking going on in my place for the last weeks........... Out for lunch yesterday, the portion was way too big, so I have left over spaghetti and meatballs. But, the best part of it is that fresh Niagara asparagus is ready, so I'll have a bunch of that too! Yumm!

134May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Thu May 23, 2019 8:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanks for all the good help and wishes everyone. Tina says Hi!
I'm gonna cook her a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich for supper.
I will have a nothing dinner. haaaaa

135May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Thu May 23, 2019 9:40 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Egg salad sandwiches on Dave's bread is our fare for tonight.

136May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Thu May 23, 2019 10:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I just put a small pot of the cure all ( chicken soup ) on the stove.
Just one skinless boneless thigh for flavor. Garlic, onions celery sand 1/2 a tomato chopped.
Found no fresh carrots, so I opened a pack of frozen mixed vegetables.
I will add Matzo Balls later when the soup is done. Her favorite.

137May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Fri May 24, 2019 12:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Day 4 ~ Hopefully things are starting to heal and Ms. Tina will begin the journey back to the 'Land of the Living!' It's a long journey but just keep her comfortable, well, as comfortable as possible, and make whatever sounds good to her so she can keep up her strength.

I have one last spaghetti squash to bake later for supper. I've got a pot of marinara going on the stove. As usual, I'm adding a bunch of veg (onion, carrot & celery) to the pot with a couple 6 oz. burger patties browned and broken up. I grated the onion & carrot and minced the celery really fine so most won't be seen in the end product but I'll taste it all. I tied about 4 big stems of fresh basil together and dropped it in the pot for about 20 minutes ~ after that the flavor gets kind of 'muddy' tasting to me so it's just a quick release of flavor and then it's pulled out and tossed.

I started with a jar of Trader Joe's Organic Marinara, a 15 oz. can of San Marzano Crushed Tomatoes and the last two pints of my homemade tomato juice from last summer. I hope I figure out a way to get some more tomatoes processed this year. I may have to make a trip up to Andrea's in August and make it with her.

I've got a container of baby bella mushrooms.....I'm thinking of browning them up and letting them simmer in some of the marinara. That should make a pretty substantial sauce to have on the spaghetti squash tonight.

The rest of the marinara will get cooled and then put into the freezer for other meals on the quick.

138May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Fri May 24, 2019 6:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanks Beth.... She feels a little better, and is taking the pain med a t a bigger time span; instead of begging for it in 2 hours.
Maybe take out pizza tonight?

139May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Fri May 24, 2019 6:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Whatever sounds good to her, that's what she gets! You would be able to have a delivered pizza and not have to share if she wants something else ~ Win! Win!

I made the pot of marinara this morning. I also browned a box of baby bella/crimini mushrooms in a bit of butter ~ but I have to admit, I think I ate about an ounce of the 8 ounces as 'taste test' specimens. LOL ~ I do love mushrooms! When the mushrooms were nice and brown I spooned on some of the marinara and let it simmer away to create a sort of mushroom ragu ~ helps give the mouth-feel of more meat. I only used two 6-ounce patties and ended up with sauce for tonight and three 24-ounce jars of marinara to stash in the freezer (I re-use the marinara jars for freezer storage). I'm not a big fan of a lot of meat in my marinara so I've found this ratio works for me.

And, as always, before I put the marinara in the jars to cool down in the refrigerator before stashing them in the freezer, I did a quick-cool in a sink full of cold water, the same as I would do for chili or soup or anything else in bulk that needs to go into the freezer.

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 05_24_10

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 05_24_11

Since I had made my sauce this morning the mushroom sauce got cooled and put into the refrigerator until it was time to reheat for our supper. I just let it simmer slowly and it thickened up really nicely. Freshly grated parmesan and some toasted bakery bread finished off our meal.

It's always a crap shoot wondering if the spaghetti squash will be 'ripe' tasting or green and watery. I swear, I've not been very successful in telling the ripeness of that type of squash in the store. But this one was really good, not at all watery and it shred into 'spaghetti strands' with a bit of al dente bite. Good stuff.

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 05_24_12

140May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sat May 25, 2019 6:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had 3 boneless chicken thighs ~ the ones I boned out myself and left the skin on. I like those to put on the gas grill because the skin gets all crispy. I cook them completely through in a foil pan, allowing all the fat to render off, then just put them on the hot grates for the last few minutes to crisp up the skin and get some good color. I pre-cooked a sweet potato in the microwave and then finished it on the grill rack (we split one potato between the two of us) and I just steamed the broccoli in the serving dish with about 2 Tbsp. of water and covered tightly with plastic wrap for just 3 minutes. Then I let it sit for another 3 minutes, loosen the wrap to drain the water all off and add some pats of butter.

It's an easy meal, but the same-old, same-old. I think I'm getting old......

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 05_25_10

141May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wow! Beth!.... You are the "Crispy Queen!"
I like chicken like that.

################################################

The next door neighbour smoked a few pork tenderloins, and made macaroni salad.
It was great! .....

Tina is still on the mend. She is planted in the bed. ( It's a electric hospital like bed.)A scale of 0 to 10 ... her pain dropped to a 7. Still not good, but at least she is not moaning like she did previously.

142May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 26, 2019 1:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hopefully every day will bring new relief from the pain. That means she's healing and will be back to normal soon. Still keeping her and you in my prayers!

I went to the store this morning - there was a good assortment of different meats on sale. I picked up some steaks, pork steaks and Johnsonville original brats. The brats usually run about $4.59 a package but they were on sale for 2/$6. I got one pack for tomorrow and one to freeze. I sliced up a small strip steak for tonight and have 2 other really nice looking strip steaks individually wrapped for another time.

Tonight I'm going to make the Korean Beef Bahn Mi Tacos. The sliced beef is marinating in a little bit of the bottled Korean BBQ Sauce, waiting until supper to be either cooked on the stove or on the gas grill. It's so thin I'm thinking just a quick turn in a hot skillet will be fine. I've got the vegetables ready to pickle with Norm's recipe. If you add the vinegar too soon the vegetables get soft. I even shredded some red and green cabbage to go on the tacos. I didn't have daicon radish but the red ones....along with cucumber, onion, carrot and a Fresno chili. Everything got julienned in a small size so it's easy to eat on a flour tortilla.

The biggest problem when I get my meal prepped so early is I'm hungry all day!

143May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 26, 2019 3:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Don't know what to have for eats anytime....
We are enjoying a blessing..... 2 AM Son Jimmy and DIL drove to the hospital with GD to deliver her ( our ) new baby. She went all natural.
All doing fine...

Aurora Gracee' ..... ( yes! It's a 2 ee' spelling ?? )

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Img_6710

144May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 26, 2019 4:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 26362_10

145May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 26, 2019 4:37 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Congratulations!

146May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 26, 2019 4:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

She's BEAUTIFUL!! Glad everyone is doing well.

Tell Miranda we all send our best wishes!

Last edited by bethk on Sun May 26, 2019 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

147May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 26, 2019 5:01 pm

NormM

NormM

Congratulations!

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

148May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 26, 2019 5:56 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Cogratulations!!

149May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 26, 2019 6:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, I just thought of something, Jimmy......

Does Miranda really, REEAAALLLLYYYYY like holidays? She had Liam on Halloween and now Baby Aurora on Memorial Day!

(And on a side note, I use to spend summers with my grandparents in Aurora, NB......only means something to me! LOL)

The Korean Beef Bahn Mi Tacos and Fried Rice was just the ticket! I ended up cooking the beef strips on a non-stick griddle on the gas grill so the heat was out of the house. It only took about 5 minutes to get it cooked but I didn't want the sweet marinade to stick to my stainless steel skillet or smoke up the house if I decided to try to cook it too fast ~ I'm so impatient!

The fried rice was some of the Trader Joe's California Sprouted Rice with a fair amount of veg included. Dane likes when there's about a 50/50 ratio of veg to rice. I like it no matter how I fix it.

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 05_26_10

150May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Sun May 26, 2019 9:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanks to all!

Yeah.... halloween baby and memorial day week end baby.

We had ziti with meat sauce for supper.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum