Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2017, What's for Dinner ?

+4
Bugster2
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 11]

76December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:The electricity is out in at least half of the kitchen. It is a revelation how late it is when the sun comes up enough to light the kitchen and how soon it gets dark.  We have a light switch in the dining room that is wonky. First it isn't a regular switch. It has a night light built in and it does not turn off unless you hit it extra hard or twice and the light it turns on has flickered lately.  I went to replace it but all the wires are black, not green, red and white.  So I decided to get an electrician to replace it. When I put the wires back in the switch and turned the breaker back on, all the electricity on that circuit was off including the microwave. Half the outlets in this room, the dining room lights and a lot of the kitchen are out and an electrician won't get here until Wed.  It has been out since Friday. We have been making sandwiches by the light of a lantern since then.  

Glad you called an electrician....that stuff is scary ~ to everyone EXCEPT my husband. I've seen him 'ZAP' himself more times than I care to remember. The only time he really got mad at himself was when he tried to install a 3-way switch on our stairwell. There was one switch at the top of the stairs to turn on/turn off and also one at the bottom. He did his 'usual' fix without turning off the power to the circuit. ((Can you guess he is NOT a licensed electrician???)) He immediately blew that switch. When I told him it cost $49 he was so angry with himself. I just stood there thinking, "Stupid is as stupid does....." Needless to say, when we got a replacement switch he DID turn off the power.

77December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight I did a beef stir fry on rice. I had a bunch of vegetables and it turned out really tasty. And, as usual, I cannot make a stir fry for two people. I've got a quart of the meat/vegetable mixture and a pint of rice leftover in the refrigerator. Guess we'll have it later in the week......

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 12_11_10

78December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:51 pm

NormM

NormM

The switch that operates the garbage disposer needs replacing too.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

79December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:The switch that operates the garbage disposer needs replacing too.

My disposal died a couple months ago. He still hasn't gotten around to replacing it. I don't use it for any more than grinding up what's on scraped dinner plates but I miss using that side of the sink. If I fill it up with water it drains really slowly. It's not that big of a deal for him. We just need to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up a $99 unit.

80December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:07 pm

NormM

NormM

Have you pressed the reset button on the bottom of the disposer? It may just need that instead of replacing.

81December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:07 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Have you pressed the reset button on the bottom of the disposer? It may just need that instead of replacing.

You want to laugh? .... most foods go to feed animals like meat, bones etc.
All mushy stuff, goes right in the potty, and gets flushed.
We have a town sewer system. .... I figured those microbes need a good meal once in a while!....

82December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:04 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Have you pressed the reset button on the bottom of the disposer? It may just need that instead of replacing.

No, it's dead.

Dane was going to take it apart to check it out and when he got a flashlight and scoped out the inside he could see nothing but rusty stuff....he deemed it too far gone to mess with, especially since a new one is only $99.

The only thing it did really well was to speed a full sink of water out to the sewer.....LOL

83December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:00 am

NormM

NormM

Oh Well. I replaced one once and it was pretty easy, even for me, since I could use the mounting bracket from the old one.

84December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I think we will have grilled smoked turkey Reuben's with sauerkraut and Russian dressing on rye.

Last night we went out to an outdoor outlet mall. Joe needed some new shoes. The last time he bought some loafers was back in the 80's. His deck shoes were even older. He went nuts and bought 6 pairs. The store was having a sale. These shoes should last him till he is dead and buried.
Katie came with us but it is a pain to shop with her. I can go into a store, give it a walk around and leave. Katie looks at every rack and it takes her long time to go through a store. We have no choice but to be polite and wait. It was strange because the mall was virtually empty. I guess everyone was at a more hip mall up the road.
I saw where chef Mario Batalli has had to leave his show because he has been a bad boy. I wonder how many other men are sweating bullets hoping no one comes forward with an accusation. You reap what you sow.

85December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided to make a Lemon Cornmeal Cake today....I've made it numerous times before. It's a bundt cake with a lemon-sugar glaze that gets crunchy as it dries on the cake. We're going to a Patio Party tomorrow and I thought I'd take it and also, since it is going to be cool, make a Krafty Crescent Lasagna. It should go over really well since I got great reaction to my Cuban Picadillo Empanadas. The neighbors seem to enjoy a savory bite at the Patio Parties.

86December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, crap, DOUBLE CRAP!

I am such an idiot! You'd think, at my age, I wouldn't make stupid mistakes any longer.

I took my cake out of the oven, allowed it to sit for 10 minutes upright in the bundt pan and then carefully pushed around the edges to be sure it wouldn't stick when I removed it from the pan. Then, upside down on the cooling rack and it came out perfectly ~ not a hole or any place stuck to the bundt pan. Success!!!

I started to glaze it with the lemon-sugar and it was crusting up nicely.

Now comes the STUPID MISTAKE:

You cannot move a warm cake, especially a fairly heavy bundt cake, from a cooling rack on to a cake plate without it catching on the rack and RIPPING THE ENTIRE THING APART.

Crap, crap, crap......

87December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I decided to make a Lemon Cornmeal Cake today....I've made it numerous times before.  It's a bundt cake with a lemon-sugar glaze that gets crunchy as it dries on the cake.  We're going to a Patio Party tomorrow and I thought I'd take it and also, since it is going to be cool, make a Krafty Crescent Lasagna.  It should go over really well since I got great reaction to my Cuban Picadillo Empanadas.  The neighbors seem to enjoy a savory bite at the Patio Parties.

That cake sounds great Beth! ....

Today we are having brazed in onions, pork steaks. Ummm!
They are cooking now on low, and slow!
Just have to have applesauce with them.

88December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Well, crap, DOUBLE CRAP!

I am such an idiot!  You'd think, at my age, I wouldn't make stupid mistakes any longer.

I took my cake out of the oven, allowed it to sit for 10 minutes upright in the bundt pan and then carefully pushed around the edges to be sure it wouldn't stick when I removed it from the pan.  Then, upside down on the cooling rack and it came out perfectly ~ not a hole or any place stuck to the bundt pan.  Success!!!

I started to glaze it with the lemon-sugar and it was crusting up nicely.  

Now comes the STUPID MISTAKE:

You cannot move a warm cake, especially a fairly heavy bundt cake, from a cooling rack on to a cake plate without it catching on the rack and RIPPING THE ENTIRE THING APART.

Crap, crap, crap......

You can salvage it...... flip it back into the bundt pan, then back onto the waxed paper or parchment on the rack.....

89December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nah.......I've already cut it up and gifted it to a couple neighbors.

Rookie mistake ~ and I feel so stupid for doing it. I knew better as soon as I started to TRY to slip it off the cooling rack. I should have waited for it to cool completely but I was in a hurry. Why, I don't have a clue!

But it's really tasty. I already had a piece this afternoon!

90December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight's supper was a one-pot meal: Ham, Potatoes & Green Beans.....simmered until tender in some ham broth I had in a container in the freezer. It's easy. It's fairly quick. It's yummy.

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 12_12_10

91December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:19 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie brought home Gates BBQ.

92December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Pops took Liam to the tree farm to pick out his tree.
He's walking now. 12 & 1/2  months old.

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Img_3611
December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Img_3610

93December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Too cute!

(where's the snow????)

94December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Too cute!

(where's the snow????)

That was before the snow came! He did play and run in the snow. Tina has the pictures on her cell camera. I didn't even see them. I'll post them later.

95December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Todays pork steak. BraisedDecember 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Img_0716

96December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gee, Jimmy.....too bad you didn't let it braise long enough to get it tender.......

Hahahahahaha! Applesauce to go with it?

We went to a neighborhood Patio Party ~ it was a cool 57° but there was still a nice turnout. Everyone brings something to share. Most unusual tonight was a butternut squash/citrus hot soup. I thought it was delicious but could tell from other's reactions it was shocking to them. The lady who made it said she spiced it with cardamon and ginger.

I ended up taking the Crafty Crescent Lasagna and I didn't have to bring any home. That's the way I like it. To keep it warm I placed it on a foil covered pizza stone on top of a wooden cutting board (so I could carry it). It was still warm 2 1/2 hours sitting in the shade on a cool afternoon. Neat trick if you don't want to have to figure out a plug for something.

There were a lot of cookies and candy ~ when was the last time you had homemade peanut brittle? Yum!

97December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Gee, Jimmy.....too bad you didn't let it braise long enough to get it tender.......

Hahahahahaha!  Applesauce to go with it?

We went to a neighborhood Patio Party ~ it was a cool 57° but there was still a nice turnout.  Everyone brings something to share.  Most unusual tonight was a butternut squash/citrus hot soup.  I thought it was delicious but could tell from other's reactions it was shocking to them.  The lady who made it said she spiced it with cardamon and ginger.  

I ended up taking the Crafty Crescent Lasagna and I didn't have to bring any home.  That's the way I like it.  To keep it warm I placed it on a foil covered pizza stone on top of a wooden cutting board (so I could carry it).  It was still warm 2 1/2 hours sitting in the shade on a cool afternoon.  Neat trick if you don't want to have to figure out a plug for something.  

There were a lot of cookies and candy ~ when was the last time you had homemade peanut brittle?  Yum!

Oh! It was tender. The bones were even softish!

The patio party sounded like it came out fine. Glad you had a great time.

98December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Corned beef and little cabbages ( Brussels Sprouts )

Potatoes for Tina, and I can't wait for tomorrow. A sliced corned beef piled high on rye bread; with mustard.

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Img_0718
December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Img_0717

99December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:01 pm

NormM

NormM

Kitchen lights, microwave and garbage disposer and microwave are all back up. By the time they were fixed and I got caught up on errands, it was too late to do anything creative so I made steak and mashed potatoes and that was our dinner tonight. First hot meal in almost a week.December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 20171217
December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 20171218

100December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Kitchen lights, microwave and garbage disposer and microwave are all back up. By the time they were fixed and I got caught up on errands, it was too late to do anything creative so I made steak and mashed potatoes and that was our dinner tonight.  First hot meal in almost a week.December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 20171217
December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 4 20171218

Good to hear all the electrics are fixed up!
I will say one thing. I can't keep my eyes off the dessert. Or my mind;
whatever mind is operational! Haaa

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum