Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2017, What's for Dinner ?

+4
Bugster2
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 11]

26December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I have pork medallions cooking in the electric skillet, with soy sauce, onions, peppers, and carrots.   It's 4:30 now. I figure another hour or so, it should be done.

Sounds tasty, Jimmy. Are you going to have some rice with it? I've had some of that 'ready-to-heat' individual rice packs and they're pretty good ~ especially if you just want enough for one meal.

27December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I have pork medallions cooking in the electric skillet, with soy sauce, onions, peppers, and carrots.   It's 4:30 now. I figure another hour or so, it should be done.

Sounds tasty, Jimmy.  Are you going to have some rice with it?  I've had some of that 'ready-to-heat' individual rice packs and they're pretty good ~ especially if you just want enough for one meal.
I was too lazy to cook rice. We even have the rice boil in bags too!
I had mine with bread and butter, and Tina had gnocchi / plain with hers.

28December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Tonight was a Glazed Meatloaf and roasted Carrots & Parsnips.  I had so many of the vegetables that I decided we really didn't need any potatoes or other starch.  HE didn't want any more carbs so it worked out for me.

I make the meatloafs in the little foil pans, lined with parchment so I can easily flip them out on a rack which sits on a foil covered quarter sheet pan for baking.  After it's baked for about 45 minutes I spoon on the ketchup/brown sugar/spicy glaze and let it cook in.  I love that cleanup is so easy.....just pick up the foil and carefully fold and toss.  OK, so I do have to soak the little rack it cooks on but that's not bad at all.

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Meatlo10

The slices are small and there's just enough leftovers for maybe one or two lunchtime sandwiches.  I love not having large amounts of leftovers.

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Glazed10

Supper looks good Beth....... Meatloaf is so good for a sandwich.

29December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:06 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup.....a meatloaf sandwich in my future!

I like it on white bread, spread with Miracle Whip on both sides and the meat trimmed and shaped so I get meat in every bite. I don't need lettuce but the Miracle Whip is my condiment of choice.

I know, I know......Ewwwwww! from some 'ONLY Mayo' users!

LOL

30December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:14 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

We are trying to eat down the freezer contents so I pulled out a chunk of chuck roast and put it in my pot. Several years ago I bought this electric pressure cooker by Nesco. It also could sear, slow cook, cook rice and warm. Well, I guess that by today's standards it would be called an insta-pot. Wasn't back then. I seasoned the roast with salt, pepper, powdered ginger. Coated it in flour and seared it in the pot. Threw in a bay leaf, some caramelized onions, a bit of beef stock and set it on low. It wasn't quite done when Joe wanted to eat so I turned on the pressure cooker mode for 5 minutes. Those insta-pots are great for certain foods. When the roast was done, I pulled it out, degreased the juice in the bottom of the pot, added the rest of the beef stock and a can of mushroom soup for gravy. Thickened it with a bit of slurry and it was good. I served it with small potatoes and carrots browned in butter. Perfect heart attack fare. LOL. We only have it about twice a year.

We have Santa Ana winds that are blowing. It shredded the canvas cover over the patio. Shingles from the roof are scattered all over the yard. It also started two fires: one a couple of counties over that is already 31,000 acres and burned down a hospital. Mandatory evacuations and the roads look like grid-lock. Another fire just started in L.A. county. Hell of a Christmas for those poor people.

31December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:16 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Yup.....a meatloaf sandwich in my future!

I like it on white bread, spread with Miracle Whip on both sides and the meat trimmed and shaped so I get meat in every bite.  I don't need lettuce but the Miracle Whip is my condiment of choice.

I know, I know......Ewwwwww! from some 'ONLY Mayo' users!

LOL

Miracle Whip is ok if you like sugared mayo. Not my mayo of choice.

32December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:32 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Warning out there: there is a scam going around. A woman had a man knock on her door. When she came to the door, she didn't open it (smart lady). She asked through the door what he wanted. He told her that one of her tires on her car was slashed and she better come out and have a look. She told him she would look later. He became more insistent and she got scared so she ran into a room and locked herself in and called 911. Police came and said her tire was slashed but most likely the man was going to be up to no good.

33December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:14 am

Niagara Visitor

OOOH, that is scary. Good thing she didn't let him in.

I fell off the "Use what you have in the freezer" wagon yesterday. I hadn't had chicken for a while, so I bought some cutlets, fried one and had the last of a bulgur wheat salad that I had. YUMM! Oh, and I made a pot of seafood chowder. Had some of that for lunch, some went into the now almost empty freezer, some will go to my neighbour.

34December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:32 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Going to smoke a rack of ribs today. We will have potato salad and doctored Bush's to go along with it.

35December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:38 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I thought this was cool.
I don't know how it is where you live but our food courts are outside under an overhang.

http://www.thekitchn.com/costco-food-court-us-uk-differences-253425?utm_source=k_daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=12052017&recip_id=870181

36December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm in a 'dinner-idea-funk' today.

Nothing sounds good.

I don't feel like cooking even though I was gone all day yesterday and didn't cook.

I should go back through my old photos and get an idea.....but even that sounds boring.

I think I'll suggest we go out tonight. He might bite on that suggestion........ ((get it? 'bite on that' ? That's bringing it back to a food related thread instead of crummy mood / lack of interest.))

37December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had planned to hit HIM up to go out to Texas Roadhouse for supper......

But I didn't feel like taking a shower and changing clothes and putting on some make-up and finding earrings...........

So, since I wanted steak I thawed one out and, surprising even ME, made a superior supper!

HE had nothing but compliments (and he didn't even know I didn't feel like planning or cooking supper), even cleaned up the kitchen beyond my expectations ~ and that's quite a feat, to be sure!

Personally, I loved the colors. The kabocha squash I picked up at the Oriental Market in Orlando yesterday was SO, SO orange.....the taste is amazing and it's super smooth flesh. It's now our all-time favorite.

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 12_06_10

38December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dinner was a stare at the ceiling, and brain fade happening!
i made Nissan soup,I shared it with Tina.
Then Tina said, how about some leftover shepherds pie? She's micro heating it up now!
It was so so. Now my belly is full, and my eyes are getting heavy and tired.
No dessert yet!Later....

39December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Been watching the fires all day on the TV. My nephew lives in one of the fire areas. More wind tonight which is not a good thing.
I am serving Joe's ribs from last night. They weren't done in time so we decided to eat them tonight. I forgot to monitor the smoker and the unit burnt the pellets and caused the heat to go out so I finished them today while it was fairly calm outside. The wind is picking up again so I am glad I did it early.

40December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:32 pm

NormM

NormM

I cut part of a loaf of french bread in half and made a sandwich with a bunch of cold cuts. I was busy in the basement today. We got a pottery kiln and I moved my two potters wheels down there. Charlie practically begged me to start doing ceramics again and to teach him. He has turned the basement into an art studio which he has been using for drawing and painting. The neighbor across the street is a contractor and installed a 240 outlet for the kiln and I am doing a test fireing now. The guy across the street said he wanted payment for the work he did to be me making him a coffee mug. Another electrician that was here for something minor a short time ago said it would cost almost $800 for him to do the same thing. I wonder if that means I can say I once made an $800 coffee mug?

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

41December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:52 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Been watching the fires all day on the TV. My nephew lives in one of the fire areas. More wind tonight which is not a good thing.
I am serving Joe's ribs from last night. They weren't done in time so we decided to eat them tonight. I forgot to monitor the smoker and the unit burnt the pellets and caused the heat to go out so I finished them today while it was fairly calm outside. The wind is picking up again so I am glad I did it early.

Boy oh Boy, those fires and winds are unbelievable. I'm watching them on the news now. God bless those poor people!

42December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I cut part of a loaf of french bread in half and made a sandwich with a bunch of cold cuts.  I was busy in the basement today.  We got a pottery kiln and I moved my two potters wheels down there. Charlie practically begged me to start doing ceramics again and to teach him. He has turned the basement into an art studio which he has been using for drawing and painting.  The neighbor across the street is a contractor and installed a 240 outlet for the kiln and I am doing a test fireing now.  The guy across the street said he wanted payment for the work he did to be me making him a coffee mug. Another electrician that was here for something minor a short time ago said it would cost almost $800 for him to do the same thing. I wonder if that means I can say I once made an $800 coffee mug?

That's a pretty steep price for that power run; even by New Jersey Standards. 4 Hrs = +- 250.00 with 120.00 material = 375.00 ~ 410.00
I would appreciate the electrician making him a mug.

43December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:30 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I cut part of a loaf of french bread in half and made a sandwich with a bunch of cold cuts.  I was busy in the basement today.  We got a pottery kiln and I moved my two potters wheels down there. Charlie practically begged me to start doing ceramics again and to teach him. He has turned the basement into an art studio which he has been using for drawing and painting.  The neighbor across the street is a contractor and installed a 240 outlet for the kiln and I am doing a test fireing now.  The guy across the street said he wanted payment for the work he did to be me making him a coffee mug. Another electrician that was here for something minor a short time ago said it would cost almost $800 for him to do the same thing. I wonder if that means I can say I once made an $800 coffee mug?

Oh, my goodness.....what a compliment from your son! It's wonderful Charlie wants to be taught by 'the master' to carry on.

I cannot tell you how disappointed I am in myself that I wasn't smart enough (OK, in my defense, I'm using my youth as an excuse) to watch and learn how to do chair caning or crochet like my dad's mother did or how to knit, crochet and, especially, tatting, that my mom's mother did. I did learn lots about cooking from mom's mother, but there was so much more talent in them than I will ever have.

It's nice that the contractor across the street did a fairly simple and straight-forward job (easy for him since he's licensed) of extending the electrical from one part of your home to another. I would think it would be especially easy since you had 240 electricity for your old stove that is now converted to gas.

Knowing you, there will be a couple loaves of bread to go along with his $800 coffee mug.

44December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:50 am

NormM

NormM

He put in a 240 outlet right next to the breaker box. That's where the kiln is located. He just put in another switch in the breaker box and wire was only a few feet long. that's why I was amazed at how much the other guy wanted. He used less that $100. in materials and it took about 20 minutes.

The kiln has a built in cost calculator. I have not used it but you put in the local cost of electricity and it will tell you how much the run cost. I am surprised that it cost that much. It didn't used to be much more that about a tenth of that but a run is 8 to 9 hours at least.

45December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:56 am

NormM

NormM

Here is the kiln before it got a plug-in added and the two potters wheels. The closest one already has some pottery made to help get out the rusty-ness in my throwing ability.December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 20171215

46December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:44 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I never learned how to do anything either other than I did teach myself to crochet and I made an afghan. I did teach myself to sew but now there is no pleasure in doing it because of so many years of being forced to do it. It is funny how that happens. I really don't have any talents that I could develop. The trouble is that hobbies are so expensive.

I am up at 4AM making a shopping list. I got the store flyers in the mail yesterday and noticed we have two outlets opening this week: Aldi and Grocery Outlet. I guess I will have to check them out.

47December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:He put in a 240 outlet right next to the breaker box.  That's where the kiln is located. He just put in another switch in the breaker box and wire was only a few feet long.  that's why I was amazed at how much the other guy wanted.  He used less that $100. in materials and it took about 20 minutes.

The kiln has a built in cost calculator. I have not used it but you put in the local cost of electricity and it will tell you how much the run cost.  I am surprised that it cost that much. It didn't used to be much more that about a tenth of that but a run is 8 to 9 hours at least.

Oh wow! .... a cake job! That was a close run. I thought he was running like 50 feet; snaking through small spaces.
Tina wanted me to install a kiln for her! She went to a school for that.
She has hundreds of special chalks to design and make markings.

It's not something she would want now. But who knows?

48December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Macaroni and Meatballs tonight for supper!
Tina made the sauce.....and it smells great.

49December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:09 pm

NormM

NormM

They make kilns of all sizes. Several are a lot smaller than mine.... Quite a few bigger ones too. It is listed by the number of bricks around the top, the depth and if it is a special order, how thick the brick are. Mine is an upgrade with three inch thick brick which is more well insulated and cheaper to fire. The number designation of mine is 822-3. I wanted one over 18" tall because I used to make some pots about that tall.

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 20171216

50December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

You shouldn't have any trouble 'getting back in the groove' of throwing pots, Norm. For as much stuff as you've made it should be a walk in the park! Have fun playing with your clay. Maybe you should get Charlie a Play Doh Factory to practice with as a Christmas present this year.....Hahahahaha!

((I saw a new one that had cool 'rising dough' in an oven as well as the perennial favorite, the Haircut Salon.....))

No cooking tonight. We went out with Dane's golf group for a late lunch and we're both still full. I planned to make the Banh Mi sandwiches with my leftover pork. Went and picked up some nice bakery buns to split & toast. I'm hoping letting the vegetables continue to pickle overnight won't ruin them ~ actually, I think it might even make them better.

We'll see tomorrow night.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum