Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2017, What's for Dinner ?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 11]

101 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:28 am

NormM

When I got the estimate from that one electrician for close to $800 for the 240 outlet, I also got an estimate for replacing the two light switches that got replaced today. If he did it, it would cost $350. I called another electrical company that I used last year and they did the job for half that. I could not remember their name so I went through last year's check book until I found their name. They took a week to get here but it was worth it.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

102 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:29 am

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:When I got the estimate from that one electrician for close to $800 for the 240 outlet, I also got an estimate for replacing the two light switches that got replaced today. If he did it, it would cost $350.  I called another electrical company that I used last year and they did the job for half that. I could not remember their name so I went through last year's check book until I found their name.  They took a week to get here but it was worth it.

It's a good idea to keep a list of all the trades persons.
I have my list:
Plumber ..... Jimmy Boy
Sewer Cleaner ......Jimmy Boy
Electrician........... Yep!...Jimmy Boy
Poopy Box Cleaner .... Jimmy Boy
Garbage Man ..... Jimmy Boy
TV hook up and troubleshooter .... Jimmy Boy
Cat yack-up and hair ball cleanup .....jimmy Boy
Pest Extermination.... Jimmy Boy
Auto Repair ...... Jimmy Boy
Appliance Repair .... Jimmy Boy pale hahahahahahahaha

103 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:34 am

bethk

Admin
Norm, it's a good thing to have your power restored and things working as they should. It sounds like you've found 'your' electrician now.

And, Jimmy, my plumber, sewer cleaner, electrician, etc. is named DANE.....but sometimes I have to wait MONTHS for him to fit my repairs into his golfing schedule.

104 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Norm, it's a good thing to have your power restored and things working as they should.  It sounds like you've found 'your' electrician now.  

And, Jimmy, my plumber, sewer cleaner, electrician, etc. is named DANE.....but sometimes I have to wait MONTHS for him to fit my repairs into his golfing schedule.

God Bless Dane! .... He IS the all tasker.
He needs his Golf to sharpen his fix it tasks. Just like I need to cook, to sharpen my fix it tasks. alien

105 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Boston Market cooked today. Frozen TV Dinners. I had the salisbury steak and macaroni and cheese. Tina had the meatloaf; mashed potatoes, and gravy.
We were busy today, so the quick meal was good enough to satisfy us. I got her second slice of meatloaf anyway.

She picked up a pound cake, and frozen strawberries so we can have strawberry shortcake.
Looking at Norms dessert made me hungry.

106 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:33 am

bethk

Admin
Yesterday was neighborhood golf scramble day for Dane and his golfing group. I usually meet them for lunch after their match. Yesterday it was at Gator's Dockside. Tonight is going to be leftovers.

So, there's not much going on here.

107 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

It's Sloppy Joe's for supper.
Liam likes to help NaNa cook. He is thrilled to watch Tina cook.

108 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:44 am

Imelda HL

We had some Cod fillet with Lemon/garlic sauce ( I fall in love with sauce, so I cooked it a lot, on fish, on chicken, so good ), and I made some potstickers and shumai ( Chinese dumplings, steamed ground meat/shitake mushrooms/chopped shrimps/sesame oil in wonton wrappers ), I like to eat them for my brunch, so I made a bunch of them, and this evening I made some pineapple cookies for Christmas, my friends at church love them

with rice and sauteed kale

109 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:18 am

cookingirl

Jimmy, Your baby Liam is so photogenic!! Love looking at his pictures!!

110 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Jimmy, Your baby Liam  is so photogenic!! Love looking at his pictures!!  

Thanks Cyn. He does come up with some funny expressions.
I get a kick out of the way he words things.

111 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:06 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was the soup kitchen for Tina. She worked up at the church all day.

I just had a bowl of shredded wheat cereal. Oh, and a doughnut.

112 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:34 am

Bugster2

I think I am going to make a copycat Father's Office burger for dinner. Grilled ground New York steak mixed with ground ribeye steak patty on a brioche bun with Applewood/onion jam, arugula, gruyere and blue cheese.
The winds out here with the dryness are still playing hell with the fire up in Santa Barbara. The entire city is a ghost town because everyone has left. So many merchants depend upon the holiday season to make their businesses profitable and it doesn't look good this year. The entire town of Montecito has evacuated. So many celebrities have their homes there. At least they can afford insurance. The trouble is that with the Napa/Santa Rosa fire and now the three fires down here, everyone in California is going to end up paying dearly for the losses through their HO insurance. The rates are going to go straight up. Insurance companies really stick it to you.

113 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:12 am

bethk

Admin
Imelda HL wrote:We had some Cod fillet with Lemon/garlic sauce ( I fall in love with sauce, so I cooked it a lot, on fish, on chicken, so good ), and I made some potstickers and shumai ( Chinese dumplings, steamed ground meat/shitake mushrooms/chopped shrimps/sesame oil in wonton wrappers ), I like to eat them for my brunch, so I made a bunch of them, and this evening I made some pineapple cookies for Christmas, my friends at church love them

Imelda, love the pics of your food!!

What's in your lemon/garlic sauce, besides lemon & garlic.....? I need something to make (but I have to leave out garlic because it really bothers Dane's digestive track). I made that buerre blanc sauce (the one with all the butter) but it was a long process and there is no way we need a ton of butter in a sauce.

Your pineapple cookies are amazing! Such DETAIL! I love the look of them. I remember when you first tried making them and you were trying to get them to look / taste like the ones your Mother makes.

114 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

How about shallots Beth? ., They are in the garlic family I think, and are mild.
Dane may be able to tolerate that food / flavor?
I know one thing; we cannot tolerate a lot of garlic flavor. When we do use it, we use the micro-plane to grate it, and only one spear.

115 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:49 pm

bethk

Admin
Yes, Jimmy, he does do fine with shallots. And I use them a lot. Actually, they are the basis for that other buerre blanc sauce I made that he likes so well.

But, come to think of it, he made such a fuss over the Lemon Picatta Chicken I made that I might as well give up on the idea of a lemon/garlic sauce. Silly me. I sure don't need those comments again soon!

Tonight I'm going to make some parmesan panko breaded chicken cutlets for supper. It's the same as I use to make for the chicken parmesan with the mozzarella cheese and marinara ~ until I started just sauteing the plain chicken cutlets and he found out they were just as good without the breading. But I'm the one hungry for the crispy coating.....so that's what it'll be. If he doesn't want it on his he can scrape it off.

Yup, it's gonna be a 'Take-It-Or-Leave-It' meal tonight! LOL

116 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:01 pm

bethk

Admin
I went to Sam's Club and got a USDA Prime Ribeye roast to have for our Christmas dinner. I wanted to go get one before they were all gone. It's not my usual 'bone-in' style but is a beautifully marbled hunk-o-beef with a nice fat cap and tied in butcher's string to keep it in shape when it roasts. It was just under $14/lb....got a 6# boneless roast for the 6 of us. There should be a bit leftover, but maybe not ~ not sure how much the two grandchildren will eat.

Andrea, Jim, Josh & Tori should be here around 11:00 p.m. on Friday night. We'll have our Christmas celebration on the 24th and they will leave to go to his parent's condo in Flagler Beach (about 2 hours east of here) on Christmas afternoon. That gives the kids a chance to walk on the beach and eat at their favorite seafood restaurants on a mini vacation.

Andrea told me today she'll make her Christmas cinnamon rolls for Sunday morning (we'll have to pretend it's Christmas and Santa has come.....). She said she was concerned because the recipe makes quite a bit but then decided we have enough neighbors to share the extras with. This will be a treat for all of us!

I have to get some cut-out cookies made for Tori to decorate when she's here on Saturday. Andrea will be bringing some peanut butter blossom cookies with her, and, hopefully they won't get confiscated by security at the airport! I could make more kinds of cookies but, quite honestly, neither of the kids eat that many sweets. Andrea did suggest I pick up some nice strawberries to dip in chocolate ~ oh, such a sacrifice a Grandma has to make! I think Tori and I will try dipping some apple slices, too.

117 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:33 pm

Bugster2

Beth, have you ever tried garlic powder with Dane? Maybe the dehydration process removes whatever disagrees with him. I can eat onion powder with no problem but raw onions give me terrible gut pain.

118 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:37 pm

bethk

Admin
The garlic powder is still a bit bothersome for him. Personally, I don't care for the taste, either. So, we're good without any garlic at all. Funny, but when we go out and there is snails on the menu as an appetizer he loves them. Somehow THAT garlic doesn't bother him......So, I think it's all in his head. But if he sees or smells me cooking with garlic he tells me how distressed his stomach is. It's just not worth the grief.

Tonight the breaded chicken cutlets were wonderful.....at least for ME. Nice and crunchy with tender chicken. Had a baked sweet potato, green beans and one of the WalMart bagged cabbage salads.

119 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:18 pm

NormM

Charlie really liked this when I made a version of it a month or so ago so I made it again.. sort of.

120 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

I made sausage and peppers. Holy Hoolie!
Strawberry pound cake with whipped cream for dessert.
Sarah Lee pound cake. Horrible / dry / no butter flavor, and they went down hill.

121 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:51 pm

Bugster2

Sara Lee is no where as good as it was in the 60's and 70's. I don't know what happened but there products are lacking.

122 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:28 am

Bugster2

My sister is remodeling one of her houses. She asked me if I would post some questions about her kitchen equipment. I haven't told her there are only about 7 of us on the forum. I will post her questions in the equipment area. If you know anything or have an opinion, she would appreciate your feedback.

123 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:44 pm

NormM

Chances are Sara Lee got bought by a company that got rid of everything except the name and now has it's products made by a company that makes the same thing for several different brands and just puts the same product in boxes with different names on the front.  

I have found one product that has  gotten bigger. It is the brand of paper towel I am using. I didn't notice the brand but I noticed the half size towels are bigger, so you actually get fewer towels per roll now.

124 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:54 pm

Bugster2

The prices keep going up and the sizes are shrinking. They think they are pulling something over on the public.

125 Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:37 pm

bethk

Admin
When I went to Sam's Club for my Prime Ribeye roast I also picked up a package of nice, thick sliced London Broil (top round, I think). I brought it home and trimmed it of the silver skin/fat along the edges and cut the two in the package into 5 serving sizes. I put the pieces into quart size zip bags and mixed up my Provencal marinade ~ divided that among the 5 bags and froze on a sheet pan. Today I put 4 into a larger gallon size zip bag to 'double bag' and took one out for supper to thaw.

There's something magical about freezing beef in a marinade ~ it comes out really flavorful on the grill.

So, supper was grilled steak, baked potatoes with sour cream & chives and steamed broccoli.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum