Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?"

+4
Crybaby
Niagara Visitor
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 15]

251"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had our weekly Ladies' Lunch today ~ went for Chinese cuisine and everyone was a happy camper. It's one of those little 'family run' restaurants. They have a long list of luncheon specials running from $6.65 to $7.00 for a combo lunch that includes a cup of won ton, egg drop soup, egg roll and entree. The ladies thought it was really tasty and the price was right!

So, tonight the offering is a bowl of chili (out of the freezer supply) for anyone hungry for supper.

(Not ME, said the stuffed old woman!)

252"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was a leftover 1/2 BLT that Tina had at the Budd Lake Diner this afternoon.

I ate that at 4:3o. She ran to Cold Stone Ice cream store, and got me a butter pecan ice cream dish. It was great!....

253"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:47 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We were still hungry.... so Hungry Man Dinners it was.
Salisbury Steak for me, and Turkey for Tina mommy!    

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Img_0627

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Img_0629

254"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:46 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I had one of those turkey TV dinners last month. I haven't had one in decades. It wasn't what I had remembered. It changed or I did. I thought it was awful. The seasoning in the dressing was not good and the turkey texture was icky. I just ate the potatoes, gravy and vegetables. The rest went into the trash. It has been a lifetime since I ate one of the salsbury steak dinners. As I recall, the meat was a bit spongy. I used to eat the Mexican dinners but they changed that one and eliminated the pudding and refried beans. I could still eat it if it weren't for my gut. Too spicy.
Are there any frozen dinners that are actually really good?

Joe and Katie went out to the Macaroni Grill for dinner and then to a jazz concert at Soka University. They had a good time. I stayed home with an achy body and had a long soak in the tub. I then made a half batch of pecan pie filling with no crust.

255"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:10 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I had one of those turkey TV dinners last month. I haven't had one in decades. It wasn't what I had remembered. It changed or I did. I thought it was awful. The seasoning in the dressing was not good and the turkey texture was icky. I just ate the potatoes, gravy and vegetables. The rest went into the trash. It has been a lifetime since I ate one of the salsbury steak dinners. As I recall, the meat was a bit spongy. I used to eat the Mexican dinners but they changed that one and eliminated the pudding and refried beans. I could still eat it if it weren't for my gut. Too spicy.
Are there any frozen dinners that are actually really good?

Joe and Katie went out to the Macaroni Grill for dinner and then to a jazz concert at Soka University. They had a good time. I stayed home with an achy body and had a long soak in the tub. I then made a half batch of pecan pie filling with no crust.

They are closing the Macaroni Grill By us.
Michelina's makes a decent little Salisbury Steak and potatoes and gravy. 99 cents and Tina does not get sick.

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 67ef6993bfddfdc2955fd7f3026c3abe_f1180

256"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was a beef stir fry with whatever vegetables were available. Somehow the sauce came out with the 'just right' taste. Wish I used recipes.....

LOL

257"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:54 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie brought home some roast chicken and sides from a Mexican food truck. It was good.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

258"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had takeout from Ruby Tuesday.
Steak / shrimp / onion rings / mashed potatoes. .... Let's put it this way.
Very Tasty and crunchy!

259"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:23 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

We have a Ruby Tuesday here. The best part is their salad bar, IMO. So few places have a salad bar full of interesting toppings and ingredients. And as much as I do not like 'buffets', the one at Ruby Tuesday doesn't seem to bother me. Maybe it's that we don't have a bunch of children (short people who touch and sometimes 'return' items with their hands) that I can eat from it. The plates are always chilled and the variety is great.

260"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:04 am

NormM

NormM

Up until last year there was a Ruby Ruesdays here and I went for the salad bar too. i didn't care for most of the menu items but I suspect it was that particular restaurant, not others in general. It was good at first but went down hill. There is a pizza place there now. That place promises a pizza in 5 minutes but you have to wait in line doe 20 before you get to the counter to order.

261"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:46 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:Charlie brought home some roast chicken and sides from a Mexican food truck.  It was good.

Some of those "Roach Coaches" are really good.

262"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:54 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:We have a Ruby Tuesday here.  The best part is their salad bar, IMO.  So few places have a salad bar full of interesting toppings and ingredients.  And as much as I do not like 'buffets', the one at Ruby Tuesday doesn't seem to bother me.  Maybe it's that we don't have a bunch of children (short people who touch and sometimes 'return' items with their hands) that I can eat from it.  The plates are always chilled and the variety is great.

I read that salad bars are the dirtiest places in a restaurant so I look at it carefully and if things don't look right I won't eat from them. Prolly a false sense of security. Another thing that is filthy in a restaurant are lemon and lime wedges that they sometimes put in your water. Usually the fruit isn't washed so the skin is what contaminates the drink. Some upholstered sewers will recycle what looks like untouched fruit/olives/onions. It makes me sick thinking about it.

263"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:44 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, aren't YOU just a bright ray of sunshine this morning......

264"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We have a Board Of Health here. They would flag and shut down any restaurant that did not serve clean food / salads.

I checked with a friends son who works at AppleBee's here. He said, all the salads are pre - washed and tested for dangerous bacteria, and the Lemons are all packaged after cleaning, in a plant that human hands are not used and packaging is done in controlled containment.
Same with when he worked at McDonalds. He said everything is sanitized and packed in their plants. The tomatoes and lettuce he said, are all weighed and packed sliced and ready to be assembled with hands that are covered with nitrile gloves.

There is very little hand slicing / touching today in the fast food big industries restaurants.
They can't afford a bad name when it comes to food handling.

265"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I agree, Jimmy. And I eat out at a lot of restaurants. I can honestly say I have NEVER gotten sick from any food I've been served ~ that's not to say everything was to my liking, I'm just saying everything I've been served has been safe to eat!

And to be honest, I'd rather eat in a restaurant than many of my friends' kitchens, especially those who don't cook on a regular basis but rather invite people over once or twice a year and then use appliances and cooking gear that hasn't been touched in months.

One of my friends had pets, two cats and a dog. The dog had a habit of wanting to eat the cat's food so my friend fed her cats on the kitchen counter......

No thank you.

266"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled my last Provencal Marinated Steak out of the freezer this morning. It's thawed and I've drained off the marinade and I'm boiling it down so I can use it as a glaze on the cooked steak. It's one of our favorite recipes, actually one of the very few recipes I use as written.

And to go with it I'm going to take the second half bag of the walnut sized tri-colored potatoes and braise them "A La Ms. Tina" in some chicken stock and big chunks of onion, cooked until they're soft and tender and buttery-melt-in-your-mouth morsels of goodness!

We need a vegetable....I don't feel like cabbage. I don't feel like fresh green beans. I don't feel like the rest of the cauliflower.......

Vegetable ~ to be decided later. If I ask Mr. Amazing my bet is we will be having lima beans.....

He's so predictable.

267"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup....we're having lima beans!

Hahahahahaha!

268"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Well, aren't YOU just a bright ray of sunshine this morning......

Just tellin' it like it is. Most people are not aware of the dangers of restaurant food or even home cooking. I always scrub or soak my fruits and anything that doesn't get cooked. How many of you drop your cantalopes in a mild bleach solution? Do you wash your citrus with at least a veggie wash? I do. Food borne illnesses at our age can send us to the hospital.

269"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Like I said....

I eat in restaurants all the time. I'm 67 years old and I have NEVER gotten sick from eating in a restaurant.

I'd much rather eat in a restaurant than a friend's home where there is animal hair and feces all over.

It's all a personal choice.

And that's MY choice.

270"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Debbie - I apologize to you for my rude behavior.

I am truly sorry for offending you. I have no excuse.

271"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Remember "The soap, that floats?" ..
Ivory Soap, was a fixture on the soap dish when I was growing up.
My grandmother washed everything with that soap. She used to say to me,"Sonny, all the food has germs from people touching the outside!" .... "Always put a little soap on your wet hands, and wash it good, and rinse it.!"

Another thing I was trained to do, is wash the hands, after handling money! I remember saying,
"Even on a penny Gram?" ..... and she would say,"Yes sonny, the germs are on the small ones too!"
Yeah! The good ole sink with the soap dish, and the brillo or sos soap pad, and the dish rag hanging over the sink divider, or if no double sink, then draped over the faucet spout!
My mom frowned on hanging dish rags; so we hung it on a cup hook, screwed to the door inside the under sink cabinet.

272"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:13 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:Like I said....

I eat in restaurants all the time.  I'm 67 years old and I have NEVER gotten sick from eating in a restaurant.

I'd much rather eat in a restaurant than a friend's home where there is animal hair and feces all over.

It's all a personal choice.

And that's MY choice.

I agree, and I'm older. I also sit on public toilets and haven't gotten sick from that. A little dirt doesn't hurt us. At least not yet!

273"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:31 pm

NormM

NormM

I got sick once after eating at a Red Lobster in Topeka.  I was miserable for three or four days.

274"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I got sick once after eating at a Red Lobster in Topeka.  I was miserable for three or four days.

I only get sick from eating way too much! It's called sick from eating gluttony! LOL

275"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This is what was cooked today. 2 ...13 x 9 pans for the priests birthday party, and 1..
8x8 pan for us. I don't prefer ground meat in my lasagna, but I had a few bites, and it was good.

Here is a piece left for Tina to eat. The rest of the 8x8 pan went to my sons.

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 11 Img_0630

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum