Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?"

+4
Crybaby
Niagara Visitor
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 15]

226"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:31 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:We had friends ( older and dead now ) that were Snow Birds. They had a trailer home that was in a trailer park in a town called Fort Pierce Fl. They had a service company, that at that time in the 70's, they paid $150.00 and the company would watch the home, and prep it for any storms or damaging rains, when they were back living up north.

The trailer home was huge, but not something I would live in during a stormy hurricane. Or even during a storm where I live now.

Brian and I have kind of a running joke about trailer parks. How is it that every tornado you've ever seen on the news seems to be able to find a trailer park to demolish?!

I wouldn't stay in one for a storm either, Jimmy. Anything off the ground like most of them are is the first thing to fly up in the air. Even if they're ON the ground, they're relatively light when all things are considered. And they always seem to have tall trees around them, too, which makes them even more susceptible to damage in a storm.

227"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:53 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:When hubby and I were in Florida a few years ago.  I was surprised to see reports on the local TV news about a bounty on pythons............ dead or alive.  We had no idea of why.  When we took a tourist ride on one of those airboats in the Everglades the driver said that there were lots of them in the Everglades because some years ago something had been damaged with a hurricane which released baby snakes............. Any truth to that?????

I remembered reading several years ago where pet owners had released Burmese pythons into the wild as they aren't indigenous to Florida.  Sadly, they multiplied beyond belief and were really harming other species.

But to answer your question, Lore, the video below said that some snake hatcheries were indeed destroyed by Hurricane Andrew and some snakes were released into the Everglades, so it seems what you were told was true.

I'm not afraid of snakes like some people are but I can't say that I like them.  I did a quick Google search and found this video about them (If snakes creep you out, DO NOT WATCH THIS; at one point, it made me jump!):

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/06/us/the-burmese-python-snake-thats-eating-florida.html?mcubz=0

228"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:02 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:We had friends ( older and dead now ) that were Snow Birds. They had a trailer home that was in a trailer park in a town called Fort Pierce Fl. They had a service company, that at that time in the 70's, they paid $150.00 and the company would watch the home, and prep it for any storms or damaging rains, when they were back living up north.

The trailer home was huge, but not something I would live in during a stormy hurricane. Or even during a storm where I live now.

Brian and I have kind of a running joke about trailer parks.  How is it that every tornado you've ever seen on the news seems to be able to find a trailer park to demolish?!  

I wouldn't stay in one for a storm either, Jimmy.  Anything off the ground like most of them are is the first thing to fly up in the air.  Even if they're ON the ground, they're relatively light when all things are considered.  And they always seem to have tall trees around them, too, which makes them even more susceptible to damage in a storm.  

So true, and most of them are like shanty shacks....
Some held up, but the weaker ones just flipped open like a sardine can.
There are a few trailer home parks in our area, but we don't get hurricanes here.  Thank God! ...

I make a joke, and say "We are a 4H area!" And they say, Oh, like with the horses, and animals etc??..... I say, NOOoooo! It's ....
"Hurricanes Hardly Happen in Hackettstown!"

229"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:03 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Thanks.  We're pretty happy about it, too!

Next thing on the agenda is a trip to Ohio for the October 6th wedding of Robin and Ben.

Amazingly, I found a Mother-of-the-bride dress and shoes before October 5th!  That's a real feat for me!  And even more amazing, Robin found a dress on the sale rack that she thinks is 'perfect' and she's not going to be stressed in the days leading up to her wedding.  

Sorry your trip to Hilton Head Island got canceled, Beth.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's not cold on October 6th.  No pale

Glad you're all ready with dress and shoes so you're ready to go.  Are y'all flying up there, or are you traveling in Dane's non-stop make-it-there-in-record-time flying machine?!  "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 2876911673

Is Jake a participant in the wedding?  What's he wearing, or have you heard?  Nothing cuter than someone his age all dressed up, even though it's not usually their "thing"....

Last edited by Crybaby on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total

230"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:08 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

What about tornados? Do you get those in your locale, Jimmy?

They're not too prevalent down here in N.O. but we got one a little over a year ago in East New Orleans that really devastated quite a lot of homes. The good thing was it happened in the daytime, around lunch, so at least people weren't home sleeping when it happened. I think there was one fatality but it could've been far worse when you saw the damage it did.

Of course, they DO occur during some hurricanes and we certainly get those. Thank God we've been lucky this year. My heart really goes out to those poor souls in the Caribbean -- all those poor people who lost everything and then flew to Puerto Rico only to face another one! I can't even begin to imagine how they must feel...

231"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:25 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:That does look good Jimmy.  I am with Beth on Cincinnati Chili but I tried it more than once because I couldn't believe that something that so many people like could be so disagreeable to me so I made it again with another recipe... still didn't like it.

Lots of the Greek people who live here put cinnamon in their red sauce -- I'm not crazy about how that tastes either, Norm. If the Cincinnati Chili adds allspice to that, I'd like it even less.

When I was in advertising and used to travel, I came back in town one evening after a trip and Brian informed me he'd had a poker party while I was gone (good for him!) and that he'd made a big pot of spaghetti with meat sauce to feed the guys he had over. This was when he only cooked one or two things on the stove and he had a decent amount of spaghetti sauce left so he had it all heated up for dinner.

It was truly terrible. He noticed right away (could it have been the face I made?!) that I didn't like it, so I asked him what was the "unusual" flavor I was tasting. He said his friend Dimitri came by early and told him he really needed to add some cinnamon to it. Gag! Before we finished dinner, he related how each guy that showed up seemed to make suggestions and ol' Brian just followed them all. No wonder it was so terrible -- he put in a ton of things that I'd never even heard of in red sauce. I tried to be somewhat polite about it until he said, "This really sucks, doesn't it?" and I laughed and had to agree. It didn't surprise me that he had a goodly amount leftover...

232"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:31 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:What about tornados?  Do you get those in your locale, Jimmy?  

They're not too prevalent down here in N.O. but we got one a little over a year ago in East New Orleans that really devastated quite a lot of homes.  The good thing was it happened in the daytime, around lunch, so at least people weren't home sleeping when it happened.  I think there was one fatality but it could've been far worse when you saw the damage it did.  

Of course, they DO occur during some hurricanes and we certainly get those.  Thank God we've been lucky this year.  My heart really goes out to those poor souls in the Caribbean -- all those poor people who lost everything and then flew to Puerto Rico only to face another one!  I can't even begin to imagine how they must feel...

Tornado's are rare, but we do get an occasional spin funnel every 20 or so years.. We live bordering Pennsylvania and the Appalachian Mountains. Tornados get broken up traveling over the mountains.
Plus, we live in a Valley and Mountain area's around us.

233"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:46 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ahhhhh!!!!!!! .... They were good. Fried Meat Balls.
I had ground beef left over from yesterday, so I whipped up a batch of Italian Fried Meatballs. ( Finger Food Shaped )

Now, I'm ready to go hit the fart sack, to sleep like a baby...

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Meatba10

234"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:52 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Boy, I can remember some rather 'heated' discussions about chili in past forums ~ and I ain't talkin' about spice.  Hahahahahaha

Funny, but I don't think the subject of Cincinnati Chili EVER came up, but, Lawdy, there was a lot of discussion about the use of beans....and what meat 'had' to be used.  I think that was the first time I really, really got into the fray just because some were insisting it was their way or the highway.  That is NOT the way I approach cooking and I found out a lot of people agreed with me.

Of course, a lot of people DISAGREED with me, too.

But I didn't invite them to this forum.

Hahahahahahaha!

(I kill me!  LOL)

You cracked me up here, Beth, as I, too, laugh at my own jokes. I kill me, too, in other words. And I especially loved the "I didn't invite them" part, too.

I remember the chili wars. I'm a no bean girl but when people INSIST chili has no beans, it makes me crazy, too. Like the person who told you what you served alongside latkes made them not latkes -- how freaking ridiculous is that! The way I look at it is something different served alongside latkes.

235"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:58 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Texans and people who think Texans know best are the ones who have inflexible opinions about Chili. Most of us know better.  Kind of like I told someone once that I was glad the French didn't invent BBQ sauce because if they did, there'd only be one kind. We were talking about tartar sauce at the time as I recall.

Loved your crack about the French, Norm. Truer words....

236"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:40 am

NormM

NormM

Jimmy I read somewhere recently Instant Pot was listed by Amazon as being the best selling thing in it's category and was on track to becoming it's all time best seller ever.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

237"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:37 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

You cracked me up here, Beth, as I, too, laugh at my own jokes.  I kill me, too, in other words. And I especially loved the "I didn't invite them" part, too.  

I remember the chili wars. I'm a no bean girl but when people INSIST chili has no beans, it makes me crazy, too.  Like the person who told you what you served alongside latkes made them not latkes -- how freaking ridiculous is that!  The way I look at it is something different served alongside latkes.  

Same forum ~ different discussion about latkes....

The discussion was about how there were different ways to make latkes, some used raw potatoes, some used grated cooked potatoes, etc., etc.

I mentioned that in my family we made German Potato Pancakes, made the same way as the latkes and also said they were sometimes ground with onions in a hand-crank cast iron grinder attached to the edge of the kitchen work table. When fried those were the BEST, really creamy & smooth on the inside and crispy on the outside, and served with applesauce and bratwurst.

As soon as I posted my comments I got an immediate IM (instant message) from the same lady to inform me that latkes would NEVER be served with bratwurst! (a pork product)

I was really glad I had called MINE German Potato Pancakes.

I think I was dismissed from the conversation because I wasn't Jewish....but I was simply interested in how the same food product was made by different regions / cultures and just called something else. It's the rigid, my-way-or-the-highway attitude I don't like. I want everyone to be able to participate in a discussion about food.

I know Lore, being from Germany, surprised me when she said she had never made potato pancakes or said she didn't grow up eating them. Then one time I was looking at a map of Germany and it struck me how large a country it is and then it hit me that the foods of one region of Germany wouldn't be the same throughout the country, the same as the foods from one area of the US is different from another. But that's what food forums are good for ~ we get to learn about lots of different areas and the customs people grew up with.

238"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:54 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Jimmy I read somewhere recently Instant Pot was listed by Amazon as being the best selling thing in it's category and was on track to becoming it's all time best seller ever.

I can't believe there are so many. I don't know.
Which model / size did you get Norm?

239"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have an instant pot and never use it.

240"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I have an instant pot and never use it.

That is one thing I am contemplating. "Will we use it?"

Her with her gas, and me with my ass! I don't know at our age. LOL

241"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:39 pm

NormM

NormM

I posted an answer but don't see it.  Charlie got it for me for Christmas.  I told him I was thinking about getting one and he said I was NOT allowed to buy anything for myself between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I would have probably got a 6 qt one but Charlie got the 8qt one. I am glad he got the bigger one because it is just the right size for a roast. I don't think they had any of the fancier ones at the time. I would not have wanted one that did more than the plain manual ones anyway.

I just cooked a pot roast for lunch and dinner today in the Instant Pot. I seared the meat in it, then cooked the vegetables on sear, added the liquids, turned it off, put on the lid and pressed the stew button. Cooking time was 35 minutes.

242"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, please send me your phone number so I can write it on the Instant Pot box I'm giving my daughter.

That way when she's in the middle of cooking dinner she can just call YOU to ask what to do instead of me, since I don't have any experience with the Instant Pot.

I'll warn you right now, this one is NOT my 'cooking' daughter. Please make your instructions SIMPLE.

Hahahahahaha

243"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was talking with DD#1 this morning, we each were having a problem figuring out what we should have for supper. Sometimes just hearing about what each other made in the last week helps click the switch in our brains to give us an idea.

I wasn't keen on the idea of chicken tonight ~ seems like the 'same-old-same-old". When I was talking to her I suddenly thought of some pork ribs I had in the freezer. TA DA !!! Supper decided!

I bought a kabocha squash at the Oriental Supermarket in Orlando and I had it in the garage refrigerator. I've been wanting a meal that squash would go good with....and pork and squash is always a great pairing. I'm going to reheat some leftover green beans and call it a night.

244"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:06 pm

NormM

NormM

To be honest, I don't know all the ins and outs of my Instant Pot yet. I just use the pressure cooker and slow cooker mostly and I just press the button that fits closest to what I want to do.

245"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper tonight, was a Tomato salad in olive oil; water, and garlic. A splash of vinegar,
and a pinch of sugar.
Meat Balls ( fried ) .... and Fusilli in a butter and water sauce.
Nice Italian bread that I had frozen.....and plenty of butter to allow the bread to be easy to chew.
I'm finished eating here, at 5 oclock.

246"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:To be honest, I don't know all the ins and outs of my Instant Pot yet. I just use the pressure cooker and slow cooker mostly and I just press the button that fits closest to what I want to do.

I notice you DIDN'T include your phone number........

Hahahahahaha!

247"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The kabocha squash, simply baked in the oven (upright on the cut half) was probably the BEST squash either of us had had in a coon's age.....Dane and I talked about it over supper that if he had not seen me simply move the squash from the baking pan to a platter and cut it for serving that he would have sworn, from the taste, that I added brown sugar to it. He had his simply with a bit of s&p ~ I, of course, had to add some butter because that's how I like it!

The ribs were also some of the best~the Korean BBQ sauce is fast becoming our favorite and since it's in the refrigerator, it's easy to brush some on for a quick glaze. The ribs steamed in the oven with the squash for about an hour and then on to the hot grill for a quick brown & glaze on the sauce. The meat was tender but didn't fall off the bones, it still had a tiny bit of 'tooth', and that's what we both like.

248"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:38 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lord, help me. I made an English Muffin with butter, and peach preserves.
I did a taste test. One half the English muffin, I buttered as soon as it came out of the toaster.The other half, I let it cool so that the butter wouldn't melt. The butter was right out of the fridge; so it was not mushy. Then I dolloped the delicious peach preserves on the Muffins.

The Muffin with the melted butter, was ok, but NOT as tasty, as the the hard buttered muffin.

249"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:41 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't know you had started taste testing for America's Test Kitchen, Jimmy.

Good for you!

lol!

250"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 10 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I didn't know you had started taste testing for America's Test Kitchen, Jimmy.

Good for you!

lol!
Yeah! ..... And soon I will be tasting Butter Flavored Ice cream.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum