Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September 2016, Whats for Dinner??

+5
bethk
Crybaby
Imelda HL
cookingirl
1DomesticGoddess
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 16]

51September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, I thought you made your crispy shallots!  I have GOT to find an Asian market.

I never knew you could buy the shallots already made.  Thanks for the tip!

Imelda, when you pressure cook your ox tails do you do it long enough to completely soften the centers or just the meat? It's been years since I made a good ox tail stew ~ and that was one I cooked all day long.

Last edited by bethk on Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

52September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Beth, the meal just looks as if it were grilled.

We were gonna grill today, but we changed plans last night because of possible winds.
Well.....the storm never pinched us here on the west side, so Tina threw a lasagna together, and baked it in the toaster oven. Only problem, she forgot to push s t a r t  button, and went to sit down to watch TV.... Haaaa...the first hour the timer went off, "ding" and Ooops! un-cooked lasagna.

Oh, dear, that is always upsetting.....although, I've never PERSONALLY done that, I have read of others who do that sort of thing on a regular basis.....((WHOOPS! I think my nose is growing.....))

53September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:37 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Imelda, I thought you made your crispy shallots!  I have GOT to find an Asian market.

I never knew you could buy the shallots already made.  Thanks for the tip!

Imelda, when you pressure cook your ox tails do you do it long enough to completely soften the centers or just the meat?  It's been years since I made a good ox tail stew ~ and that was one I cooked all day long.

They usually come in plastic jars, so many kind of them, we have to be careful to get the right one

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 91XIaIDWzL._SY679__zpst4x4mdnx

About my oxtails, I cooked until the meats tender, not fall of the bones, the centers are usually the bones

54September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Wow! That's a huge jar of fried shallots. It would take me HOURS to fry that much ~ and I'd probably end up burning half of them!

55September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:52 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Wow! That's a huge jar of fried shallots.  It would take me HOURS to fry that much ~ and I'd probably end up burning half of them!

yup... there are smaller jars too... better buy the small one and give it a try first.. some of them are really good... I forgot the brand, the last one I bought not real good, so I don't want to recommend it to you

56September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I have one of those 1960's Moulinex graters with the 5 different grate / slice blades.
We buy the romano or asiago or whatever cheeses, and I grate it course, and fine.
It's amazing, how a pound of cheese, makes so much when it is grated and fluffed up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight, we had lasagna Tina put together. Squeezy stomach today; so waiting for it to set / room temp before eating. I had a small piece hot, and it was great, even though the No Cook noodles were used. I am not a fan of those.

Ohh Well!

57September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:14 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I want to start using the real thing too. I have a KA grater/slicer attachment that I might try. If it works, what should I store the cheese in?
I was at our local Italian market last week. They sell the real cheese but a hefty chunk is $25. I am talking about 6 by 6 by 2 tapering down to about 1/2 inch.

I have just spent an hour chasing fur tumbleweeds across my wood floor. I also pulled chunks of fur off the bottom of my kitchen chair legs. There are two of Katie's cats sleeping on my butcher block table. I am sooooo tired of all the fur. It is all her cats fur, not mine. My cats don't come into the kitchen any more. How can I get it under control? I am at my wits end.

58September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I want to start using the real thing too. I have a KA grater/slicer attachment that I might try. If it works, what should I store the cheese in?
I was at our local Italian market last week. They sell the real cheese but a hefty chunk is $25. I am talking about 6 by 6 by 2 tapering down to about 1/2 inch.

I have just spent an hour chasing fur tumbleweeds across my wood floor. I also pulled chunks of fur off the bottom of my kitchen chair legs. There are two of Katie's cats sleeping on my butcher block table. I am sooooo tired of all the fur. It is all her cats fur, not mine. My cats don't come into the kitchen any more. How can I get it under control? I am at my wits end.

Oh, the cheese is not cheap. Sometimes it goes on sale, but you have to watch.
We keep the grated cheese in a plastic sealed shake container in the fridge.
The ones that Kraft Grated cheese comes in. DD buy's them for cheese sauce recipes.

As far as the kitty fur balls, they have to be trained to stay away from the kitchen. We used a spray bottle with water only to train them. Usually they just heard the thing, and they would run. Then they take out the frustrations on the couch in the living room. hahahahahahaha

59September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina just popped pop corn. Boy, did that hit the spot. I had like a cup or more.
Hahahaa.... The windows are open, and fans are running to exhaust the house.
The whole outside smells like pop corn.
A funny thing.... When We did A/C in Movie theaters, the exhaust from the big commercial pop corn
machine, was purposely piped into the theater seating area; so it would be blown to attract people to run to get some.

60September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:33 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tina can eat popcorn? I would think that would bother her.

I think all bakeries have their exhaust 'aimed' at where people gather. Seems senseless to waste that wonderful fragrance when you can generate sales with it!

61September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:54 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda HL wrote:
bethk wrote:Have you ever done the crispy shallots before?  Man, I tried and tried to get those right before I finally found the secret.  Start the thin sliced shallots in cold oil and don't let the oil get too hot, keep stirring.  The real tip is to take them out BEFORE they turn very brown, just when they look dry.  They continue to brown up after they are out of the oil.

I can't tell you how many shallots I ended up burning before I figured it out.

Or, ask Imelda how she makes hers.....she sprinkles them on her foods all the time.

I have never succeeded in making fried crispy shallots, mine are always store bought Embarassed  Asian stores sell them, but you have to be careful, some of them have fillers, like the shallot skin or flour, but the higher price ones usually pure shallots and their crispiness last long

I had no idea, Imelda, that yours were store bought. You're going to have to try Beth's way of doing it! I plan to. If the good kind at the store are not too pricey, it probably makes sense dollar-wise to buy them instead of making them. I keep telling Brian we're going to have to hit the Hong Kong Market soon -- maybe I'll make a point of remembering to do that this week. I can look for the crispy shallots while I'm there, too.

About five miles away from here, there's an old Wal-Mart shopping center that closed up when they built a Super Wal-Mart about a mile away. Asian people took the whole thing over and it's fantastic. They have a large Asian grocery and some smaller stores, too, and lots of "hole in the wall" Asian shops that serve pho and/or bubble tea and stuff like that. The prices are much better (not to mention the huge selection of stuff) than you'll find on Asian ingredients in the local grocery stores. We love pho (beef is our favorite) so we can have lunch while we're there but I know I'll go nuts and buy much more than I need and have place to store at home! It's so much fun to go there, too. Hopefully, Brian will keep me from buying out the whole place.

62September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love browsing around ethnic groceries....Asian, Hispanic, Cuban....whatever I can find. I have the most fun in the Asian markets as I REALLY have to guess at what I'm looking at. I can usually figure out the language on the Spanish packaging, but I've no clue when it's written in Chinese or Japanese.

Fortunately, there is usually someone in the store who can translate for me. The employees are usually very gracious and kind to the idiot old woman who is confused as all get out. Sometimes I think they just answer my questions to get me out of the store so they can laugh out loud at me.....and I don't blame them!

63September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:21 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I love browsing around ethnic groceries....Asian, Hispanic, Cuban....whatever I can find.  I have the most fun in the Asian markets as I REALLY have to guess at what I'm looking at.  I can usually figure out the language on the Spanish packaging, but I've no clue when it's written in Chinese or Japanese.

Fortunately, there is usually someone in the store who can translate for me.  The employees are usually very gracious and kind to the idiot old woman who is confused as all get out.  Sometimes I think they just answer my questions to get me out of the store so they can laugh out loud at me.....and I don't blame them!

I bought a small cookbook years ago with Asian vegetables, including their photos and one or two recipes for each veggie. I got it to take with me to the Vietnamese fresh market where a lot of the vendors didn't speak English. It came in handy if I was looking for something specific.

64September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love to look at all the different kinds of soy sauce and vegetables that are offered. I can usually get a great recommendation once I let my intentions known to the clerks. They love to steer me in the right direction.

Tonight was a repeat of the meatloaf supper......only change was adding a ketchup spiced glaze for the meatloaf.

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 IMG_20160905_172938863_HDR

65September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Tina can eat popcorn?  I would think that would bother her.

I think all bakeries have their exhaust 'aimed' at where people gather.  Seems senseless to waste that wonderful fragrance when you can generate sales with it!

Tina is a glutton for punishment. I keep telling her popcorn husks stick, and she says,' the Dr. said nothing about me not eating it. It says to eat corn for fiber!"

66September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Would you believe....egg salad sandwiches for supper, with sweet hot pickles.
Beer for me, and then, Rice Krispy Treats for dessert.

67September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:42 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Roasted asparagus lasagna and garlic bread for dinner tonight.

68September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:09 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Roasted asparagus lasagna and garlic bread for dinner tonight.

Sounds good Deb.
Did you still use noodles? ... Tomato sauce? ..... I know we make a White / no sauce Lasagna.

69September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:30 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Sounds good Deb.
Did you still use noodles? ... Tomato sauce? ..... I know we make a White / no sauce Lasagna.

No tomato sauce just a parmesan/cream sauce with a pinch of nutmeg. It has roasted asparagus, onions, lemon juice, fresh tarragon and savory, fontina, mozzarella.

70September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Sounds good Deb.

No tomato sauce just a parmesan/cream sauce with a pinch of nutmeg. It has roasted asparagus, onions, lemon juice, fresh tarragon and savory, fontina, mozzarella.

Oh All Right! .... That's my kind of lasagna!...
My daughter and daughter in law, are asparagus freaks. I will have to make a small one for them. As for Christine, she is a saucy, meaty, lasagna lover.
Please, don't get me wrong. I love different ways to make lasagna, but I prefer a solid cheesy lasagna, and I would add my own sauce if needed as I eat it.
Same with my spaghetti and some macaroni. Rigatoni, is about the only macaroni that I will add a bit more sauce than usual!

71September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took the leftover Fideo and added hamburger w/a can of diced, fire-roasted tomatoes ~ turned it into Spanish Spaghetti (very similar to my Spanish Rice supper). Added a tossed salad.

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 IMG_20160906_171000651

72September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I took the leftover Fideo and added hamburger w/a can of diced, fire-roasted tomatoes ~ turned it into Spanish Spaghetti (very similar to my Spanish Rice supper).  Added a tossed salad.

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 IMG_20160906_171000651

Tina would love that spaghetti like that!

Just a note: I'm watching TV and a video of Migrant Workers Picking Sweet Potatoes in the fields in the south. OMG.... what a labor intensive job. God bless them.
I could never survive doing that. No No

73September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:21 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I saw the same video. My back couldn't take it.

74September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:54 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Would you believe....egg salad sandwiches for supper, with sweet hot pickles.
Beer for me, and then, Rice Krispy Treats for dessert.

I just asked Brian how many eggs we had on hand, as I've had a hankering for egg salad lately. He doesn't like eggs too much (fried over hard or scrambled okay) so I either have to watch how much I make (I love it so if I make a lot, I'll eat too much of it and too many boiled eggs doesn't set well with me) or I have to send some to our friend Pete. I asked Brian to make sure Pete (our friend, the bachelor) likes it. Brian said he's pretty sure he does. So I'll send over a container to Pete when I first make it so it's not there to tempt me.

What's the brand and name of those pickles you enjoy so much, Jimmy, if you don't mind? With all the ordering I do, I would like to get some of those for us to try. We need some pickles and we both like them a lot.

Mmm, my mouth is watering now...

75September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:55 pm

NormM

NormM

I think this is the first meal I have made so far this month. It is Chile Rellenos and Mexican rice

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 DSCN3733_zpswtem8zgy

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum