Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September 2016, Whats for Dinner??

+5
bethk
Crybaby
Imelda HL
cookingirl
1DomesticGoddess
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 16]

76September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:15 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Roasted asparagus lasagna and garlic bread for dinner tonight.

Boy, Bug, that sounds good. I'm with Jimmy and would like more info!

You know, recently I spoke of this jarred spice I got, Simply Organic Grinder Citrus A'peel. It's kind of pricey (like all spices) and runs about $7.50 for a 2.5 oz. good sized jar, but I ordered it online for around $5.89 or so. It has a nice adjustable grinder mechanism on top which will grind finely or coarsely, and consists of: organic sesame seed, organic orange peel, organic lemon peel, organic garlic, organic onion, organic parsley, organic coriander, and organic fennel seed.

It's not a strong flavor and initially, I thought it would be lost if used while cooking and we just used it on top of a plate of something. But we've both kind of gotten addicted to the stuff. Thinking of Joe, it would also serve as a very decent tasting salt substitute, too, though it doesn't taste salty. Just tastes really good (kind of fresh tasting, too), and a very interesting flavor. We use it on top of bagels and cream cheese and it really adds a certain something. It's kosher, too (I like kosher stuff 'cause I know it's made in a clean environment and in a watched over manner).

I didn't know if you saw my initial mention of it so I figured I'd mention it again. Like I said, it's not a very strong flavor but evidently, we're not the only ones who like it. I logged onto Amazon not so long ago and there are just tons of stellar reviews of the stuff. I now plan to start using it more while cooking. We both used it on top of our breaded sautéed chicken recently, as well as some pork tenderloin and it was very good and suitable on top of each. Read some reviews and see if you'd like to give it a try.

77September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:21 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda HL wrote:
bethk wrote:Wow! That's a huge jar of fried shallots.  It would take me HOURS to fry that much ~ and I'd probably end up burning half of them!

yup... there are smaller jars too... better buy the small one and give it a try first.. some of them are really good... I forgot the brand, the last one I bought not real good, so I don't want to recommend it to you

What about the jar you posted a picture of, Imelda? Were those any good? I want to buy some, too, as Brian would go wild over them.

78September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Would you believe....egg salad sandwiches for supper, with sweet hot pickles.
Beer for me, and then, Rice Krispy Treats for dessert.

I just asked Brian how many eggs we had on hand, as I've had a hankering for egg salad lately.  He doesn't like eggs too much (fried over hard or scrambled okay) so I either have to watch how much I make (I love it so if I make a lot, I'll eat too much of it and too many boiled eggs doesn't set well with me) or I have to send some to our friend Pete.  I asked Brian to make sure Pete (our friend, the bachelor) likes it.  Brian said he's pretty sure he does.  So I'll send over a container to Pete when I first make it so it's not there to tempt me.  

What's the brand and name of those pickles you enjoy so much, Jimmy, if you don't mind?  With all the ordering I do, I would like to get some of those for us to try.  We need some pickles and we both like them a lot.

Mmm, my mouth is watering now...
Our Beth got me introduced to the Sweet Hots and other pickle and products, from Toledo Ohio.

We love the pickle / pepper combo. I will deposit the site. ( Deposit?? ) What made me say that? Almost as if it's time to lay eggs!

http://www.tonypacko.com/sweet-hot-pickles-peppers.php

We tried all the pickles, but order and like the Sweet Hot Pickles and peppers , and I get a jar or two of the peppers, sweet hot ( just the Hungarian peppers )
We've tried the hamburger and hot dog chili sauce, which is ok, but we like my recipe for the Greek Style Chili.

Their pickles keep so well too! .... If I missed anything, Beth can pick up where I missed.
BTW...we always ate Bread and Butter pickle chips, but not since buying the sweet hots from Packo's! They are available through Amazon too!

Haaaaa,,,...... wishing for a burger now with pickles on the side.

79September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:38 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I want to start using the real thing too. I have a KA grater/slicer attachment that I might try. If it works, what should I store the cheese in?
I was at our local Italian market last week. They sell the real cheese but a hefty chunk is $25. I am talking about 6 by 6 by 2 tapering down to about 1/2 inch.

I'm with Beth. We use too much of the stuff to always have the good stuff. But if I'm making something special or have spent a lot on other pricey ingredients, or if the Parmesan is a large part of the dish and not just an accent, I'll spring for the good stuff. It runs about $12 to $15 for a good sized chunk (not as big as the one you mention). It's expensive at Central Grocery but boy, is it good. I usually have them grate it right there 'cause I'm usually using it that night. Plus, if I ask for some of the rind, they will put a big chunk in there for me!

Bugster2 wrote:I have just spent an hour chasing fur tumbleweeds across my wood floor. I also pulled chunks of fur off the bottom of my kitchen chair legs. There are two of Katie's cats sleeping on my butcher block table. I am sooooo tired of all the fur. It is all her cats fur, not mine. My cats don't come into the kitchen any more. How can I get it under control? I am at my wits end.

Cats are creatures of habit but man, I never let ours get on top of the table. My sister, though, had cats all over the place. On the counter, on the dining room table, on top of the fridge, on top of the mantle... After I'd leave her house, I'd feel like I was Heloise with the clean house in comparison! I love cats and dogs, too, but I can't let them take over. I'm not that good a cleaner so I know my limitations. The only thing that might work now to keep them off the butcher block and it's not at all cruel is to wash out a sprayer bottle really well and fill it with water. When they get someplace you don't want, give them a spray. They usually hate it and run but I don't know about some place they claimed as their own a while back. It's worth a try. Some people think it's mean but come on, it doesn't hurt them and it does let them know you're not pleased. I think it works better when it's done when they first jump up some place you don't want them, not when they're lying there sleeping already (see, you can tell I'm a softee).

I know when we had two cats and they spent nights and other times inside (we usually adopt strays that show up so they always end up as inside/outside cats), I would get cat hair under the dining room/kitchen chair legs. Used to drive me crazy. It's a bi*ch to clean off, too, as you have to lift each chair leg and wipe the hair off with a rag. Even a vacuum trying to get it off usually needs assistance from a rag as the hair will stick in the little grooves on the bottom of the legs.

Let us know if you come up with a "cure," Debbie!

80September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:47 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I think this is the first meal I have made so far this month.  It is Chile Rellenos and Mexican rice

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 DSCN3733_zpswtem8zgy

Oh, Norm, I adore Chiles Rellenos and yours look divine. My mouth is literally watering. Good job. Mexican rice makes me think of Honeygator!

81September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:54 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Would you believe....egg salad sandwiches for supper, with sweet hot pickles.
Beer for me, and then, Rice Krispy Treats for dessert.

I just asked Brian how many eggs we had on hand, as I've had a hankering for egg salad lately.  He doesn't like eggs too much (fried over hard or scrambled okay) so I either have to watch how much I make (I love it so if I make a lot, I'll eat too much of it and too many boiled eggs doesn't set well with me) or I have to send some to our friend Pete.  I asked Brian to make sure Pete (our friend, the bachelor) likes it.  Brian said he's pretty sure he does.  So I'll send over a container to Pete when I first make it so it's not there to tempt me.  

What's the brand and name of those pickles you enjoy so much, Jimmy, if you don't mind?  With all the ordering I do, I would like to get some of those for us to try.  We need some pickles and we both like them a lot.

Mmm, my mouth is watering now...
Our Beth got me introduced to the Sweet Hots and other pickle and products, from Toledo Ohio.

We love the pickle / pepper combo. I will deposit the site. ( Deposit?? ) What made me say that? Almost as if it's time to lay eggs!

http://www.tonypacko.com/sweet-hot-pickles-peppers.php

We tried all the pickles, but order and like the Sweet Hot Pickles and peppers , and I get a jar or two of the peppers, sweet hot ( just the Hungarian peppers )
We've tried the hamburger and hot dog chili sauce, which is ok, but we like my recipe for the Greek Style Chili.

Their pickles keep so well too!  .... If I missed anything, Beth can pick up where I missed.
BTW...we always ate Bread and Butter pickle chips, but not since buying the sweet hots from Packo's!   They are available through Amazon too!

Haaaaa,,,...... wishing for a burger now with pickles on the side.

Boy, thanks, Jimmy!  You were really Johnny-on-the-spot with your reply.  Thanks for the deposit! (big stupid grin)

I just read the history of Packo's on the site and loved the MASH connection. Pretty cool, as I remember the episode where the newsman interviewed them all. Thanks again, Jimmy.

82September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:27 pm

NormM

NormM

I don't remember the specifics of Honeygator's Mexican rice. This rice recipe is one I saw recently and the title of it is Restaurant-Style Mexican Rice. There was a Mexican restaurant in the town where I used to live that had the best rice and I wanted to see if this one was similar.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

83September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:45 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, the addiction for Tony Packo's Pickles came from me.....if you ever have a chance to visit the original Tony Packo's Restaurant in the Hungarian section of Toledo, please take the time to do it.....it's well worth the time to stuff yourself and see all the 'hot dog buns' signed by celebrities that are hanging on the walls.  

But since they are pricey and sometimes difficult to find I can recommend a substitute that has turned into my favored 'sweet hot' pickle.  Wickles Pickles.  I find them somewhat 'hotter' than the Packo's and made from smaller, firmer cucumbers.  Of course, they do not have the pickled Hungarian peppers you can eat, just the red hot chiles to flavor the jar.  

Whatever you choose (or can find) be forewarned.  They are addicting.  Once the jar is open you'll find yourself going to the refrigerator for one for a snack.....and then another ~ and another.  I like to slice them thin and have them on my grilled hamburger as well as on the side.  

The leftover pickle juice makes the most divine pickled onions.....sometimes I'll save the juice and heat one jar of leftover juice to pour over sliced onions, then when cooled I'll drain it off (the flavor disappears somewhat when soaking into the onions) and then I'll add the wilted onions to the juices of another jar.  Fresh pickled onions!

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 IMG_20160907_073801179

Did you read the menu on the site? I wish they went into more specifics so you could 'taste' the 'hot dogs' without visiting. They use a special smoked sausage type 'hot dog', now sliced in half and cooked in their Hungarian Hot Dog Sauce, very similar to Jimmy's Greek Style sauce but definitely a different flavor (of course they have their own secret recipe). But they always taste the same....oh, so good. A warmed bun, a sausage link, a slather of yellow mustard, topped with way too much meaty sauce and chopped onions and the option for a pile of shredded cheese, as well. The snap of the sausage casing survives the addition of all the other ingredients and the first bite is always the best! Oh, I can taste it now. Once you start your 'hot dog' you can't put it down because by the time you pick it up the sauce has soaked through to the bottom of the bun and so you just keep eating so you don't miss a morsel. When you're finished (and ready for a second) you'll be looking for extra napkins to try to get the orange grease off your hands! That part sounds gross but it so worth the experience.

They sell their hot dogs, sauce and pickles on line.....but it's just not quite the same as experiencing it at the original restaurant location. I know they use to have a Tony Packo's restaurant here in The Villages but, alas, it closed long before we moved here. It would be wonderful to be able to get a good 'Hungarian' hot dog any day of the week.

84September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:42 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, I forgot to mention our 'personal' connection with Tony Packo's Restaurant.

Dane's former brother-in-law (his sister's ex-husband) produces the 'hot dog buns' for signing and displaying on the walls of the restaurant.  I'm not at all sure how he does it, I'm thinking a foam mold of some sort and then air-brushed to look like a real hot dog bun....it's all a big secret.  If they actually used real hot dog buns they would deteriorate over time so the one's hanging in display boxes are 'fakes'.

But rest assured, the autographs are authentic ~ LOL

(On a sad note, in recent years the original family had a lot of public 'fights' and I believe the corporation is now owned by someone else entirely. I'm sure if you're interested you can Google it and read about how greed and cheating brought down a wonderful family enterprise.)

85September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth.....you win the award for the best way. to describe eating a Hungarian Hot dog.
I had to read it three times, because the taste of the first one was fantastic.

No luck finding Wickle's Pickles in this area, but towards the city areas, there is one trader Joes that has them.

You are right, as far as not being satisfied with only one ore two sweet hots. I'm good for 7 or 8 with my burger ( on the side ).

The Mr. & Mrs. Pickle on the label, reminds me of Me and Tina being happy after eating our pickles! September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 2876911673

86September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:54 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I don't remember the specifics of Honeygator's Mexican rice. This rice recipe is one I saw recently and the title of it is Restaurant-Style Mexican Rice.  There was a Mexican restaurant in the town where I used to live that had the best rice and I wanted to see if this one was similar.

I'm laughing, Norm, as I don't remember ANY of her recipes. I just remember a huge thread/brouhaha over her insisting some spice HAD to go into Mexican food. Or perhaps it was SHOULDN'T go into Mexican food.

Jimmy? Beth? Do you remember the Mexican spice thing with Honeygator?

87September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:17 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Thanks, Beth, for your detailed explanation of a Hungarian Hot Dog at Tony Packo's. Yep, I read the history of the place and looked around at the menu while I was there. I even remember Klinger talking about the place on MASH (well, not the name but the place).

It's a shame about family feuds when businesses are involved. Same thing many years ago in N.O. within the Brennan family. They split into two factions and one part of the family left to buy and run Commander's Palace and lots of other local Brennan restaurants they started (all really good), and the original sons of the lone brother continued to run Brennan's (famous for Breakfast at Brennan's), which remained their only restaurant. The brother who stayed, and purportedly moved the others out, died right before Brennan's opened again in the newer larger building on Royal Street. Never cared for Brennan's, as we found it overpriced and with very poor service and they did other things we didn't like. It declined over the years and one son of the dead brother bought the other out, and it declined even faster. Finally, Brennan's went bankrupt about five or six years ago and the place was off and then on and then back off bankruptcy auction list. It was finally sold (the business and the iconic pink building on Royal Street) at auction to --- drum roll please -- the son of one of the Brennan's who was kept out of it, Ralph Brennan, who has several successful restaurants in N.O. That must've felt good, though it had been over 30 years since the split. Then the name and contents, including the wine cellar, were auctioned off and Ralph bought them, too. He put many, many millions of dollars into renovating the place and it re-opened much nicer and much better (we've yet to go) than the previous place a year or two ago.

The Brennan who lost it was starting another restaurant along with his daughter and it was about a week from opening, with the old Brennan's chef at the helm, when HE died! Just like what happened to his father.

What a feud it was, and pretty public, too. Ella Brennan, the sister who pretty much ran the original Brennan's before being removed by her brother, recently wrote a book, which I've been meaning to read. I'm sure she must've touched on the story at the very least as it's what lead to the successful Brennan's empire which began with Commander's Palace, still one of my favorite restaurants in N.O.

88September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No meal cooked here tonight. Lyn & I went on a road trip to Dade City and had lunch at one of our favorite luncheonettes. Then we just browsed around the shops and got home a little after 5.

Dane fixed himself a Banquet Chicken Pot Pie and a tossed salad. He loves those things.....which is why he only gets them when I'm not cooking or eating...

To each his own! LOL

89September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was light. Corn chips and cheese and salsa dips.
Home made choc chip cookies with less choc chips for my likings...

90September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:17 pm

NormM

NormM

We had "Whatever you can make for yourself" tonight.

91September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:27 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:We had "Whatever you can make for yourself" tonight.

Strange ~ that's on my menu rotation on a regular basis, too. Sometimes the inspiration just doesn't strike and I don't feel like cooking anything at all, nor do I feel like moving out of my chair.....so if anyone is hungry they better be able to find food and not make me get up.

LOL

92September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:50 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Banana bread on the schedule today......

Perfect!

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 IMG_20160908_064830753

93September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:43 am

NormM

NormM

We have it quite often here too.

94September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:57 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

The fragrance of baking banana bread is so wonderful this morning! So much better than other 'odors' that sometimes come out of my kitchen (like the smell of burning toast when Mr. Amazing is looking for his charcoal fix....).

95September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:19 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:No meal cooked here tonight.  Lyn & I went on a road trip to Dade City and had lunch at one of our favorite luncheonettes.  Then we just browsed around the shops and got home a little after 5.

Dane fixed himself a Banquet Chicken Pot Pie and a tossed salad.  He loves those things.....which is why he only gets them when I'm not cooking or eating...

To each his own!  LOL

I love chicken pot pies and hadn't had them in years until we were both in bed after Brian fell and broke a couple of HIS vertebrae.  We bought a lot of prepared/ processed food 'cause neither of us could cook.  He bought the BEST pot pies at the store -- they're Boston Market and they're much bigger than the Banquet ones.  But, boy, they are head and shoulders above the other brands.  

Of course, now I'm planning to make a homemade one for the two of us.  But I'll make mine with dark meat chicken and will probably throw in a bit of chicken breast as well.  I just got the carrots the other day.  Mmm, I love a good pot pie!

96September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:40 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Brian is smoking a small eye of round (he bought a huge one last time so I cut it in half prior to freezing the other half). He rubbed it with Mad Hunky rub a couple of days ago and is using hickory and cherry woods to smoke it with. I'm not a fan of the eye of round cut UNLESS it's smoked. I find it tends to dry out when cooked any other way. Plus, it's so easy to slice and there's no waste at all.

We're having pasta salad alongside of it tonight and I'll make some horseradish sauce to go with the beef, too. We'll have edamame on the side, too.

Installers were here this morning to pour the concrete pad for the generator and he was driving them crazy with that eye of round on the smoker. One guy was quizzing him who had an electric smoker who was quite interested. He liked the electric because you could set the temp and not worry about it, but then he said he had to constantly add wood chips. Brian suggested the wood chunks he uses but he said there's no room for those. I think you'd end up opening the smoker too often to add the chips, though...

97September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:42 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I wish someone around here would offer classes in the art of smoking meats.

98September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:48 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:We had "Whatever you can make for yourself" tonight.

In a magazine yesterday a woman called it "eat the refrigerator night." It's a good idea every so often, that's for sure. Sometime it segues into breakfast for dinner for us, though I'd prefer cutting down on wasting food by eating some of the smaller containers of leftovers.

99September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper..... was two small chickens roasted at Walmart.
The son and DIL came for supper....
Guess who did NOT come to dinner?? ......

I ate a spoon of stuffing, and 3 string beans. Not much of an appetite today.
I had cataract surgery this morning, and I just have no appetite.
Maybe after tomorrow at 7:30 AM I do a post op checkup. Then I will be relieved.

Right now, I'm watching the Andy Griffith episode of Aunt Bea's Pickles!

100September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight. Lyn came over this evening and helped with the computers. I 'hid' Microsoft Edge where I was having so much trouble with virus crap and I added firefox. Then she connected the Apple laptop to my printer. I probably could have done it but she set herself up as the administrator and I didn't know her log-in or password.

By the time we got done it was later than we wanted to start cooking anything so we just all went out for a sandwich.

Now I'm tired and ready to fall asleep in the chair with the TV on.......ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum