Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed

+5
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 19]

276June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I'm waiting for mid July when the Georgia cling-free are available.  Then I'm going to drive up by my brother's and get me some.

The main reason I don't make desserts is because of my lack of willpower.  I have none.  Zip.  Nada.

If I make it I'll eat it.  So abstinence is my best policy.

It was much easier, when the kids were here, ( not that we want them now...hahaha ) but the pies and cakes and rice puddings and such, went gone fast. Now....like for instance, Tina made two pumpkin pies, and there is 3/4 of a pie still left. Will they take it home? N O P E !! And I won't eat pie when the bottom crust gets soft, or even worst. WET No

277June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:35 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is noon and 106. I put together a roasted asparagus lasagna for dinner early this morning. All I have to do is put it in the oven. I think I will use the toaster oven 'cause it is so hot.
I was going to make some fudge and put the pot on the stove and walked away from it and called my sister. I am losing it big time. I smelled burnt sugar and went in to find a dark caramel in the pot. Chit! I filled the pot up with hot water and put it on the stove and I will dissolve the mess and try again.
I was watching "Say Yes To the Dress" yesterday. There was this family that was helping a girl pick out her dress. Mama didn't like the dress and said "It needs more embezzlements on the top". I almost wet my pants. We all do something like that but I found hers to be quite amusing.

278June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:03 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

111 degrees. Finally had to break down and turn on the A/C. Thank goodness I made dinner early this morning.

279June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:30 pm

NormM

NormM

I can't go to the Asian store without picking up something I have never tried or even seen before. Last time I was there, I got something called Duck Flavored Paste. Directions said to mix some with water and cook duck, chicken or pork in it. I simmered some chicken with it, made rice and am baking a couple of huge sausage stuffed mushrooms in the oven. I tasted the chicken and it's good. Really different from regular boiled chicken. Charlie should be home in half an hour or so.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

280June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:32 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I donot understand why you let that get out of hand ? If you have ac use it . Your unit has to work harder when you turn it off and then to get the hot air out . I keep mine set at 73'. Then Ihave 2 ceiling fans going and one stand fan . Never will I let this house get that hot . In fact I am going to buy a portable unit just in case mine crapps out. It was 110' the other day plus very high humidity.

281June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was going to make some chicken, sweet potato & fried zucchini/onions for supper tonight. But before I started cooking we got a call for 'HELP' from our friends, Lyn & Bill.

I've mentioned them before here on the forum, Lyn & I worked together for a number of years. Her husband, Bill, was a college professor ~ taught students as they worked toward their doctorate degrees and writing their thesis. So, he's not exactly what you would call a 'Dummy'....

HOWEVER, as Lyn has always said, "He's afflicted with the 3-T Syndrome"......No TIME, No TOOLS and No TALENT.

One of their smoke detectors was 'chirping' so he said he would change the battery. He decided as long as he was changing one battery he might as well change the battery in the other smoke detector he saw in the hallway by the guest bedroom. Lyn and I were out shopping when she got a text from Bill, "I changed the batteries in the two smoke detectors but now they are BOTH chirping".

He thought maybe the 'new' batteries might have been old so he went out to buy new ones. Even with the new ones both detectors were still 'chirping'. Therefore, the call for help went out to Mr. Amazing who they figure can fix anything.

Turns out the batteries (9V) were inserted backwards and kind of 'forced' to close and that's why they didn't work. As soon as Dane switched them, the 'chirping' stopped.

Then we all went out for a sandwich.

LOL

282June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:25 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 13230319_10206538836253702_141033528352089472_n

grilled pizza.

283June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:05 pm

NormM

NormM

Here is a picture of tonight's dinner. Charlie said it didn't taste like a jarred sauce.

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 DSCN3582_zpsbyhjk72w

284June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:17 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barbara101 wrote:I donot understand why you let that get out of hand ? If you have ac use it . Your unit has to work harder when you turn it off and then to get the hot air out . I keep mine set at 73'. Then Ihave 2 ceiling fans going and one stand fan .  Never will I let this house get that hot . In fact I am going to buy a portable unit just in case mine crapps out. It was 110' the other day plus very high humidity.  

I know it works hard but since my husband has been out of work for two years we are trying to keep expenses down. California has the highest electric rates in the country. Fortunately, the temp is supposed to drop down to 86 tomorrow.

285June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:23 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:I was going to make some chicken, sweet potato & fried zucchini/onions for supper tonight.  But before I started cooking we got a call for 'HELP' from our friends, Lyn & Bill.

I've mentioned them before here on the forum, Lyn & I worked together for a number of years.  Her husband, Bill, was a college professor ~ taught students as they worked toward their doctorate degrees and writing their thesis.  So, he's not exactly what you would call a 'Dummy'....

HOWEVER, as Lyn has always said, "He's afflicted with the 3-T Syndrome"......No TIME, No TOOLS and No TALENT.

One of their smoke detectors was 'chirping' so he said he would change the battery.  He decided as long as he was changing one battery he might as well change the battery in the other smoke detector he saw in the hallway by the guest bedroom.  Lyn and I were out shopping when she got a text from Bill, "I changed the batteries in the two smoke detectors but now they are BOTH chirping".

He thought maybe the 'new' batteries might have been old so he went out to buy new ones.  Even with the new ones both detectors were still 'chirping'.  Therefore, the call for help went out to Mr. Amazing who they figure can fix anything.

Turns out the batteries (9V) were inserted backwards and kind of 'forced' to close and that's why they didn't work.  As soon as Dane switched them, the 'chirping' stopped.

Then we all went out for a sandwich.

LOL

All of my relatives are either doctors, lawyers whatever. They ALL have upper level educations and not one of them knows how to fix a thing. They all call my husband for advice about car repairs. My husband is always fixing something at my sister's house. Different strokes for different folks.

286June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:I donot understand why you let that get out of hand ? If you have ac use it . Your unit has to work harder when you turn it off and then to get the hot air out . I keep mine set at 73'. Then Ihave 2 ceiling fans going and one stand fan .  Never will I let this house get that hot . In fact I am going to buy a portable unit just in case mine crapps out. It was 110' the other day plus very high humidity.  

I know it works hard but since my husband has been out of work for two years we are trying to keep expenses down. California has the highest electric rates in the country. Fortunately, the temp is supposed to drop down to 86 tomorrow.

New Jersey has high electric rates. We watch because of being on limited income. Our electric rates were down, but when The uncle Gabe moved in, I was paying $416.00 a month. That was due to electric heat in his bedroom....kept at 85 to 90 degrees all night. His bathroom kept at 80 degrees. The living room at 78 degrees. Then in the kitchen when he woke up and sat for breakfast, the space heater was on as he sat eating.

It got to the point where I said xxxx this! I installed a unit in the kitchen, and a separate one in the back room ( dining room ). I put up a sliding curtain to block off from the living room, and we sat nice and cool in the kitchen dining area!

I let him have his heat and no A/C. Would you believe, not only did I shut off the cooling for his bedroom, but at 3 o'clock in the morning, there I was removing the supply ceiling diffuser because he was screaming he was freezing because the shutting it off wasn't good enough. Just knowing the outlet was there, set in his mind that he was cold. I ripped it out, and put a sheetrock patch on the cieling. I said There ya go.... no more vent in your room. @$$.

Like Barb said,"it's good to have a small unit to use in case the main central unit craps out.
I happened to me last month. We had no A/C but survived with the two small units till my parts arrived, and I installed them on the main unit.

We keep the temp set at 75 / 74 day time when the load is high; then at night, we lower the setpoint to 73. It is very easy to cool the home when there is no load and it's cooler at night. Here, it is a cooldown at night. Tonight 65.... tues wed thurs nights at 50's .... No A/C needed then. We flip open the windows, and let the cool air in.
It's 73 outside now, so I am headed in to lower the set-point to 72º. Very Happy
Tina likes it cold while she sleeps with her comforter up to her neck.

287June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:09 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight we had "Donna's Sloppy Joe's"...........

Ground beef.... onions / green bell pepper / and a can of tomato soup.
Boy, am I ever burping from those green peppers. Good going down, but afterwords.... * burp *
Cake doughnuts for dessert!

288June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:35 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm glad we live where we do. Our electric rates must be really low compared to anywhere else. My electric bill hasn't been over $100/mo. in the 3 years we've lived here. The a/c is set at 77° day & night ~ not because I think 77° is cool but rather the temperature Dane & I have agreed upon as acceptable for both of us. He'd prefer 80°, I'd prefer 73°. When he's out of town the temp gets set down and when I'm gone, up it goes!

In Ohio we had gas for the water heater, furnace & cooking. Electric for lights, fans, etc. I paid on a 'budget' plan ~ $125/mo. for gas and $175 for electric every month. So, even though the size of the house is about half it still costs me a lot less here.

But then, what I save on utilities I spend on food.....

But it's still better here overall.

289June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:49 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

As hot and humid as it is here I could run mine year round . Folks here rant and rant about their high water and electric . My water is $18. And my electric for the winter is 50 ish . In the spring and summer 100$ to maybe the high of $150. My last bill was $95. I would never turn off my unit . I cannot open my windows either . Bugs and critters can get it . I took out my dog door too . My front door as a see the light crack (landlord will not replace door) I am though fixing HIS house , so I stuff a flannel sheet in the door frame crack. Works . This house is brick and old , not some new stick built with no insulation . Living I the south ,, hate it .

Last edited by Barbara101 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

290June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:12 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Without the a/c on our average electric bill is $125. With a/c on only a few hours a day for maybe 4 days will be a minimum of $200. Gas on the average is about $25, water is at least $75, cable tv, phone, internet package is $200, gardener is $50, HOA is $150.

291June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:48 am

NormM

NormM

Our upstairs is always hot in the summer and when we turn on the AC, it makes the lower house where my bedroom freezing and the main part of the house cool, but the upstairs where Charlie's room stays hot. He got a portable AC so his room is cool while the rest of the upstairs is shut off and the AC is kept high enough so the main part is comfortable and the lower part is still cool enough that I wear a sweat shirt in the evening. We have added insulation to the attic but can't tell that it made any difference. Charlie was taking out the tiles in the basemant and found the ducts all wrapped with duct tape that had dried out and was letting air pour out at the joints.

292June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:25 am

Niagara Visitor

We haven't had AC in the building since June 13.  Heating/cooling unit on the roof was scheduled to be replaced, hopefully it will be done today.  I can't get the condo temp down below about 84 F.  I am so spoiled.   

Made a mistake yesterday.  I had a partridge in the freezer that I was planning to make for supper.  Unfortunately, instead of defrosting in the fridge, I took it out, put in the sink.  I went out, thought I would be home in a couple of hours.............................. but, decided to visit some friends, we went out for dinner, I forgot about the little bird when I came home, and found it in the sink this morning.  It's going in the composting bin! Sigh.

Last edited by Niagara Visitor on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

293June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:42 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I'm waiting for mid July when the Georgia cling-free are available.  Then I'm going to drive up by my brother's and get me some.

The main reason I don't make desserts is because of my lack of willpower.  I have none.  Zip.  Nada.

If I make it I'll eat it.  So abstinence is my best policy.

You're very good at sharing them, too, Beth. Plus your desserts are usually so darn pretty, too. I never get tired of looking at pics of those apple roses you made -- and it was so much fun watching you and your granddaughter make them, too!

It's hard to have dessert sitting there and not eat some (or be constantly taking a "sliver," which soon grows into a piece much bigger than if one had served themselves an entire piece!). With a family of two, it's even harder as they disappear quickly with kids and grandkids around. Does Dane like desserts? I know he watches his carbs lately so I figure he must try to avoid desserts as well.

294June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:48 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:111 degrees. Finally had to break down and turn on the A/C. Thank goodness I made dinner early this morning.

You poor thing! You lasted a lot longer without the A/C than I could've, Bug. Good thing for that toaster oven!

I heard about 5 deaths out west, I believe it was in AZ. The people were hiking and biking! Why would people do those types of things in that kind of heat? You know they must know better as you don't begin biking or hiking in that type of weather and must be experienced. Such unnecessary losses of life...

295June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:55 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:He thought maybe the 'new' batteries might have been old so he went out to buy new ones. Even with the new ones both detectors were still 'chirping'. Therefore, the call for help went out to Mr. Amazing who they figure can fix anything.

Turns out the batteries (9V) were inserted backwards and kind of 'forced' to close and that's why they didn't work. As soon as Dane switched them, the 'chirping' stopped.

Boy, I'll bet he was embarrassed as all get out! Y'all must been screaming with laughter or having a hard time holding it in! Brian has been putting batteries in backwards lately as well. He did it again the other day in my IV pump (we have to change the batteries in both of my pumps once a week so we're the go-to place for minimally used AA batteries -- we must have a bag of 75 on hand and we're constantly sending friends home with a sandwich bag full!). Then I aggravate him when he's going to change the batteries in something by reminding him to check them before closing up the thing!

296June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:50 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:111 degrees. Finally had to break down and turn on the A/C. Thank goodness I made dinner early this morning.

You poor thing!  You lasted a lot longer without the A/C than I could've, Bug.  Good thing for that toaster oven!  

I heard about 5 deaths out west, I believe it was in AZ.  The people were hiking and biking!  Why would people do those types of things in that kind of heat?  You know they must know better as you don't begin biking or hiking in that type of weather and must be experienced.  Such unnecessary losses of life...

That is exactly what I said to Joe yesterday about those people! What were they thinking? The same sort of thing happens out in Thermal, CA. They get these out-of-country tourists that want to visit one of the hottest places on earth. The tourists take a drive and their tires melt and they die.

297June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:52 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Luckily, our house cools down quickly and also heats up quickly in the winter.  We have two central A/C units, one for each floor (I don't use the third floor room except for storage).  We have gas and electric, which is good.  Our electric is next to nothing in winter (maybe $14-$20 a month) and depending on how much we use the small gas fireplace in the den (which I love using), the gas will run about $25 a month and go up to $50 a month if it's cold and I spend a lot of time in that room, as that means the fireplace has been run a lot (sometimes I run it all day until we go to bed, so that's still a pretty reasonable price).  We don't use the central heat at all except Brian turns it on when he first comes downstairs in the morning to take the chill out; it stays on for a maximum of 10 to 15 minutes.  

I love sleeping cold so we lower the upstairs thermostat to 71 degrees at night; I'd gladly put it on 65 if Brian could stand it but it would get a tad pricey and he'd be cold!  Right now I'm still upstairs so we move it up to 73 when he gets up and goes downstairs.  When I go down for the day, I will raise it to 76 but the two bedrooms stay pretty cool during the day as the blinds in one room and curtains in the master stay closed.  The master, luckily, with the two sets of French doors and another almost floor to ceiling window is on the north side of the house, and the sun gets to it after 5 p.m. so it stays pretty cool.  I usually open the curtains when I come upstairs at night so I can enjoy the light and our gorgeous view of the Mississippi River prior to nighttime falling.  And, of course, I've lowered the temp to 71 but it's pretty comfortable up there when I first go up.  But I like it cooler to sleep...

During the day downstairs, Brian is like the kid your parents fussed at ("Brian, go outside or stay inside but quit going in and out") but he's hyper and goes in and out of the backyard constantly.  He'll spend most of his day if inside in our big "country kitchen" which includes the kitchen and the dining room and is on the south side of the house; he also does the laundry, too, which is in a small room off of that room.  That also heats up the area a bit but he likes it warmer than I do. He likes to mess with the garden, water things, etc. so he often takes the radio outside with him and listens to either WWOZ (our fantastic local radio station -- you can listen online, too) but usually a baseball game.

If I'm inside, I'm usually in the front living room/den area, with four big old windows (we live in an historic area so we cannot update the windows to the double-glass insulated type that are in the back of the house where Brian is).  I keep the thermostat downstairs set to 73 most of the time and it's quite comfortable.  If it gets hot, we will lower it.  We spend a lot of time at home and figure the electric/gas bill can qualify as an entertainment expense for us, as we don't go out half as much as most people do.  It's the same way we classify spending a lot of money on food -- it's our entertainment budget!  If it gets inordinately hot outside, like high 90s in temp, we will usually close the front shutters on the windows -- they're board and batten shutters and they really keep the heat out but, of course, block out tons of our gorgeous light.  We still have light from the windows on the side of the room and the window on the front door but it's not my favorite thing to do.  Does help if it's blisteringly hot, though, but we don't have to do that very often.  

Our electric bill this summer start going up around May to almost $80, ran $120 thru the end of this month and might run as much as $200 mid-July and August though it usually tops out around $180 thru September.  The highest it has ever been in a brutal heat wave was $250 for one month in 18 years, which I still didn't consider too bad, as we were cool and comfortable inside.  Brian laughs as I always say I would go without food to be cool if I had to.  

We could sign up for "average" billing with the utility company where the charges would be relatively stable every month of the year but I like paying next to nothing in the winter season.  And it's nice to be able to actually "see" what it runs in the summer, too.  We consider ourselves really lucky as our house is insulated very well and the windows are all the good ones in the areas of the house not visible from the street (historic requirement).  I love light and hate curtains and drapes so I only have them on windows where they're really necessary.  Hence our house is always cheery looking inside and never dark...

Sunday, I came downstairs late (almost 2 p.m.) as I was kind of tired and though it was hot outside, it was pretty pleasant with the sun going in and out behind the clouds. Brian and I sat outside for hours on the deck under the shade of our orange tree and just had the most pleasant afternoon. After a while, he got me a glass of wine and the cat, the birds, the squirrels and the two of us had quite a nice cozy afternoon just sitting and talking. So summer time around here is not always a terrible thing...

Last edited by Crybaby on Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

298June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:57 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:

You poor thing!  You lasted a lot longer without the A/C than I could've, Bug.  Good thing for that toaster oven!  

I heard about 5 deaths out west, I believe it was in AZ.  The people were hiking and biking!  Why would people do those types of things in that kind of heat?  You know they must know better as you don't begin biking or hiking in that type of weather and must be experienced.  Such unnecessary losses of life...

We stayed home since last week, did not go out hiking, this week is worse than last week,temperature reached 120'F yesterday, we turn on our AC a few hours a day (from 4 pm to midnight), can't afford to pay the electricity, it'd reach up to more $300 a month, for the last 4 years we used Evaporative cooler, it cut down our bill more than half, we ran it 24/7 and only paid below $200, but our EC worn out last fall and last week we bought a new one, for more than $700 a unit, today Dirk tries to put it up, I have to help him lift up to our window.. it's heavy, but we did it, now he is doing the finishing touch, sealing this and that... so we'll have our cooler running soon, all day long without have to worry too much about our electricity bill, we use evaporative cooler only for summertime, we'll take it down in Oct, by then our electric bill is below $100, we hardly turn on heater, I like cool weather, but Dirk likes to whine when the temp gets down to 40 F, so heater is on for a few hours to warm up our house, and the electric bill is between $60 to $90 cheers depends on how much I cook/bake

Our water bill is up too, Dirk has to water our plants 3 times a day, so the bill goes up to triple too, OTH, the summer fruits are so cheap, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherry, grapes, our counter is full of fruit baskets  

299June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

I heard about 5 deaths out west, I believe it was in AZ.  The people were hiking and biking!  Why would people do those types of things in that kind of heat?  You know they must know better as you don't begin biking or hiking in that type of weather and they must be experienced.  Such unnecessary losses of life...

That is exactly what I said to Joe yesterday about those people! What were they thinking? The same sort of thing happens out in Thermal, CA. They get these out-of-country tourists that want to visit one of the hottest places on earth. The tourists take a drive and their tires melt and they die.

I guess we're just more the "realistic" types, Bugster. Things DO happen, even if you're on vacation, and locals DO know best. It always pays to listen to what the locals recommend; they live in a place year around and know the area, the weather, and the risks involved in doing silly things. It's such a shame when they end up paying with their lives, though. Sometimes people on vacation are having fun and they just do things they wouldn't THINK of doing at home. Happens all the time and often the outcome is just awful...

300June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda wrote:We stayed home since last week, did not go out hiking, this week is worse than last week,temperature reached 120'F yesterday, we turn on our AC a few hours a day (from 4 pm to midnight), can't afford to pay the electricity, it'd reach up to more $300 a month, for the last 4 years we used Evaporative cooler, it cut down our bill more than half, we ran it 24/7 and only paid below $200, but our EC worn out last fall and last week we bought a new one, for more than $700 a unit, today Dirk tries to put it up, I have to help him lift up to our window.. it's heavy, but we did it, now he is doing the finishing touch, sealing this and that... so we'll have our cooler running soon, all day long without have to worry too much about our electricity bill, we use evaporative cooler only for summertime, we'll take it down in Oct, by then our electric bill is below $100, we hardly turn on heater, I like cool weather, but Dirk likes to whine when the temp gets down to 40 F, so heater is on for a few hours to warm up our house, and the electric bill is between $60 to $90 cheers depends on how much I cook/bake

I'd never heard of an EC before so I just read up on them; they're also known as swamp coolers which I'd heard of but had no idea how they worked. Pretty neat machines and they work best, it says, in the southwest. It was a very interesting series of articles including whether or not raising or lowering your thermostat when you're not home saves money or not. I learned a lot.

Luckily, we don't have to water our garden as much as you do though our water bill is definitely higher in summer. I think I told you how we now save a lot of water catching the rainwater that rolls off our neighbor's uncleaned gutters into three big containers we put on our side of the fence under that catch quite a lot of water. Brian rarely uses the hose to water our container plants anymore but rather our "free water" -- we scoop out some of the water until you can simply lower a gallon container into the buckets and fill them up. We get many, many gallons of water without it costing a penny. I've looked into getting something a bit more sophisticated to catch the water but decided they're too expensive to even consider -- the three big giant buckets we're using now are working perfectly. I can always spray paint them if need be but I don't see the need in doing that either.

Imelda wrote:Our water bill is up too, Dirk has to water our plants 3 times a day, so the bill goes up to triple too, OTH, the summer fruits are so cheap, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherry, grapes, our counter is full of fruit baskets

Are you guys growing all that fruit, Imelda? I'd kill to see your garden as it sounds as if Dirk does a wonderful job -- you, too. And don't even get me started drooling over what you do with your fruit! You, too, can count that not only as part of your food budget but also your entertainment budget!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum