Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed

+5
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 19]

151June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:04 pm

NormM

NormM

Happy Birthday Lore.

I have a new cookbook called KoreaTown. It has recipes for quick or fresh kimchi and I made a couple of those as well as a recipe for pork ribs but I used pork chops instead.

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 DSCN3570_zpstlra9kdy

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 DSCN3572_zpsnrrxvqmi

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

152June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:I offered to cook for this Father's Day dinner at my in-laws, my Father in-law wants some stuffed cabbage rolls, I made them before and I am pretty sure I can make them again, I need some idea what sauce is good for this dish other than tomato sauce... my FIL can't eat tomato sauce, it's on his diet list, I know if I make them with tomato sauce he would eat them anyway, he is not really a strict following advice person Smile so I'll appreciate any idea from you all, thank you 

Imelda... I just asked Tina... Her Grandmother ( German / Hungarian ) made a sauce of fry the sauerkraut, or shreded cabbage with onions, add beef stock to make more liquid. Add the cabbage rolls in the pan, and cover them around with the cabbage or sauerkraut. Cover tight with foil, and bake in the 350º oven till done.
About 1.5 hour.

153June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Happy Birthday Lore.

I have a new cookbook called KoreaTown. It has recipes for quick or fresh kimchi and I made a couple of those as well as a recipe for pork ribs but I used pork chops instead.

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 DSCN3570_zpstlra9kdy

Wow, those are some really meaty pork chops! Looks great.

154June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Imelda....what a nice daughter-in-law you are.  Your concern for Dirk's father is greatly appreciated by Dirk and his mother, I'm sure!

You can make stuffed cabbage rolls and surround them with sauerkraut (I'd add some grated apple to take the edge off the 'sour' of the cabbage).  Then you just need to keep it moist with some chicken stock or apple juice....or a combination of both.

I did some chicken thighs on the grill with sweet potato and broccoli along side.

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 IMG_20160611_172046795_HDR

Of course, half-way through cooking the chicken the tank of gas ran out.  Fortunately for me, Mr. Amazing was hungry so when I asked him to change the tank he didn't give me any trouble!  LOL

Beth, you could be thankful you had the spare tank of fuel.

The chicken thighs look good....even to Jimmy here!

155June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:36 pm

NormM

NormM

Thanks Jimmy.

156June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

You're welcome Norm.

Today's supper was supposed to be braised German sausages, but Tina felt lousy tonight.
We had gnocchi's that were frozen. Boiled them, and added jarred sauce.

I cannot believe, it's 79 degrees here, at 10:30 PM. Yet tomorrow will be 74 degrees for a high.
A warm puff of air sure must have come from someplace!!

Remember the bumper cars at the amusement parks? How the contact shoe at the top on the pole extended from the car, used to shoot sparks sometimes. No one ever complained or sued anyone if the sparks fell on them. Today, forget about it! People are sue happy.

157June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:59 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

I am late, but I wanted to wish Niagra Visitor, Lore a very Happy Belated Birthday!!!!

158June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:02 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Imelda,

My mom used to make Cabbage Rolls all the time. She did use tomato sauce; however I think the suggestion of using a good stock/broth is great!!

Yes, even with a bit of onions, as Tina suggested.

I have made them a few times also..A very ambitious endeavor! Of course, I am accustomed to my mom's recipe which makes a vat-full ! She used to give them out to the entire family....

Good Luck, and such a nice thing to do...

159June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:32 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Beth, you could be thankful you had the spare tank of fuel.

The chicken thighs look good....even to Jimmy here!

Jimmy, we've been pretty good at getting the tank(s) refilled when they're empty. NOTHING makes me more upset than when I have a meal on the grill and the gas is gone. We have THREE tanks, now two empty......so they will get loaded off to the ACE Hardware for refilling. I no longer wait for Mr. Amazing to take care of it ~ it doesn't seem to bother him nearly as much as it does me so it falls under the "don't sweat the small stuff" rule.

160June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:11 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Of course, half-way through cooking the chicken the tank of gas ran out.

They have gauges for that.They tell you how much fuel you have.. ME.. I use charcoal the most.. Lighting that gas up still scares the crap out of me.. affraid June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 512660330 June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 3921676023

161June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:25 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

your rice maker makes great rice..I unplugged mine and moved it to the unused appliance cabinet lol.It made sticky rice and mushy rice for the last few months..Last time I made rice I used stove top Basmati rice  it came out so perfect I wanted to eat the whole pot lol

162June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:30 am

Niagara Visitor

Thanks, everyone.  I am a bit reflective this morning.  Birthdays were always very important in my hubby's large extended family.  Mine, not so much, but I caught the feeling.   I was away  (twice) in the last couple of weeks helping a cousin look after his 92 year old mother.  We thought she would be going into a nursing home, but she has rallied and is back in her lovely seniors' residence.  She's one of my mother-in-law's 12 siblings. Her brother, Uncle Ernie is 83, is the baby of this clan, and still has 5 living siblings.  There's some good genes in that family.

We joke about the negatives of getting older, especially women, you know, botox, grey hair etc., etc.,  All I say is that it is a privilege and honour to be getting older, too many people in my life have died way too early, so I am happy and proud to have reached age 72 yesterday healthy, and (I think) I have all my faculties.  So, onward and upward, life's too short to worry about grey hair, at least I have some, or a few wrinkles, right???

163June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:40 pm

NormM

NormM

Barbara, i got this rice maker just a couple years ago. The one we had before it was around 30 years old and still working fine even though there were some missing parts. I always use a medium grain rice in the cooker. The brand I usually get is Nishiki.

164June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:19 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

NormM wrote:Barbara, i got this rice maker just a couple years ago.  The one we had before it was around 30 years old and still working fine even though there were some missing parts.  I always use a medium grain rice in the cooker. The brand I usually get is Nishiki.

I buy jasmine and basmati. sometimes I buy carolina gold.long grain.

I have 2 rice makers and just the other day was looking on amazon for a made in japan ZO. Rolling Eyes Shocked Almost pulled the trigger too. AND I still might lol so nice to put the rice and water in push start. cheers

165June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have some Johnsonville Original Brats simmering in a bottle of beer on the stove ~ just turned them off. I'll brown them up on the grill just before supper.

I didn't know what I wanted to make to go along and suddenly the desire for an old fashioned German Potato Salad came to me so fast.....it made my mouth water! So, the potato salad is done and just sitting (covered) on the countertop. I think it tastes best when it's room temperature and not chilled because of the bacon fat and flour slurry. I did a taste test and it's going to take all my will power not to get a bowl for a 'huge taste test'! LOL

When I was growing up my mom only heated up cans of Read's German Potato Salad. I don't think it ever occurred to her to look for a recipe and make it fresh.....what a difference it makes ~ and SO easy. I went heavy on the herbs this time. I added celery seed, dill, chives and parsley. How is it something as small as a bit of celery seed can do so much for a dish?

166June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Barbara, i got this rice maker just a couple years ago.  The one we had before it was around 30 years old and still working fine even though there were some missing parts.  I always use a medium grain rice in the cooker. The brand I usually get is Nishiki.

Norm.... just remembering from a while ago, when you said you Wash or Rinse I think it was, the rice two or three times. I like to rinse the rice myself.

167June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:26 pm

NormM

NormM

I rinse it until the water runs clear. I remember once Nobu was on Martha Stewart and she asked him how he cooked rice in a pan and he showed her. He put a little water in the pan with the rice and scrubbed it with his fingers. The water was almost as white as milk. He rinsed it three times then put water in the pan to cover the rice by the first joint of his finger. When he was done, Martha asked him if that was they way he did it at his restaurant. He said no. He used a rice cooker.

168June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:30 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

A lot of chefs use a rice maker . Ming uses it all the time . So does Martha . Asian cooking shows .

169June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:35 pm

NormM

NormM

I doubt there are very many homes in Japan and Korea that don't have one.

170June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:53 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:I rinse it until the water runs clear.  I remember once Nobu was on Martha Stewart and she asked him how he cooked rice in a pan and he showed her. He put a little water in the pan with the rice and scrubbed it with his fingers.  The water was almost as white as milk.  He rinsed it three times then put water in the pan to cover the rice by the first joint of his finger.  When he was done, Martha asked him if that was they way he did it at his restaurant.  He said no. He used a rice cooker.

When we cook rice, we measure the water with our fingers, like you said, the first joint of our fingers, I cook rice in either rice cooker or or microwave, the water is always by the first joint of my finger for white rice, more water for brown rice.. we rinse the rice too, at least 3 times, and I keep the water and pour it in my chili or citrus plants, it has good nutrition for the plants..

171June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:56 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:I offered to cook for this Father's Day dinner at my in-laws, my Father in-law wants some stuffed cabbage rolls, I made them before and I am pretty sure I can make them again, I need some idea what sauce is good for this dish other than tomato sauce... my FIL can't eat tomato sauce, it's on his diet list, I know if I make them with tomato sauce he would eat them anyway, he is not really a strict following advice person Smile so I'll appreciate any idea from you all, thank you 

Imelda... I just asked Tina... Her Grandmother ( German / Hungarian ) made a sauce of fry the sauerkraut, or shreded cabbage with onions, add beef stock to make more liquid. Add the cabbage rolls in the pan, and cover them around with the cabbage or sauerkraut. Cover tight with foil, and bake in the 350º oven till done.
About 1.5 hour.

Thank you Jimmy, I'll do it, maybe without sauerkraut because Dirk's father is on no acid diet, so cabbage, onions and meat stocks

172June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:00 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

cookingirl wrote:Imelda,

My mom used to make Cabbage Rolls all the time. She did use tomato sauce; however I think the suggestion of using a good stock/broth is great!!

Yes, even with a bit of onions, as Tina suggested.

I have made them a few times also..A very ambitious endeavor! Of course, I am accustomed to my mom's recipe which makes a vat-full !   She used to give them out to the entire family....

Good Luck, and such a nice thing to do...

Thank you... can't wait to make it, I think I'm going to do it tomorrow, we gotta try some of it before the H Day Very Happy   and I have bought some bacon, mushrooms and ground beef for the filling and maybe sprinkle some bacon bits on top before serving it... yum

173June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Have you heard the joke about all the retired people in Florida eating their supper by 4:30 p.m.?

Well, I think I've figured out why ~ the daily summer rains from the wind coming from the east and west and meeting in Central Florida happens right around 4:30 p.m. IF you want to cook on your grill without getting poured on or taking the chance of being struck by lightning as you open & close your stainless steel grill.....well, you get your cooking done prior to 4:30! LOL

But it's OK with me. I can eat early and not have an issue. If I have to wait for the rains to stop it might be after 7 p.m. before the meal gets on the table. That's just too late for my stomach not to protest.

Besides, today I had everything prepped and ready to go before 3:00 so it just meant it was time to cook the beans and brown up the brats. Mr. Amazing REALLY liked the German Potato Salad, and I have to admit, it was probably the best I've made in years. The seasoning was spot on for us.

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 IMG_20160612_163501042_HDR

I wish I had thought to hold back a bit of the parsley & chives to sprinkle over just before I put it on the table. I hadn't counted on the herbs losing their color as it cooled on the countertop. But it didn't affect the flavor so I'm OK with that.

174June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Happy Birthday Lore.

Your meal looks fantastic, Norm! The kimchi with the bok choy....did you heat that or did it just wilt on it's own from the spices? And is the yellow item on the lower left of your plate grilled pineapple or maybe pickled ginger? Just tryin' to imagine all the tastes.

I swear ~ one of these days I'm going to take a road trip to Kansas and come knockin' on your door at dinnertime! LOL

175June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:Of course, half-way through cooking the chicken the tank of gas ran out.

They have gauges for that.They tell you how much fuel you have.. ME.. I use charcoal the most.. Lighting that gas up still scares the crap out of me.. affraid June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 512660330 June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 7 3921676023

Sure they have gauges to let you know you're going to run out of fuel......but where is the 'sport' in that???? LOL

Actually, I've never had an inexpensive gauge that worked and I'm too 'cheep * cheep * cheep' to buy a good one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum