Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!!

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Bugster2
Barbara101
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 20]

401May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Fri May 27, 2016 11:03 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barb won't like this but wouldn't it be nice if there were disposable paper measuring cups?

402May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Fri May 27, 2016 11:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The Moussaka.

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 MdU0qU

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 JudwhA

403May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 5:58 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, boy! Tina must be happy, happy, HAPPY......and I imagine YOU are sittin' there with a smile on your face, too.

404May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 7:39 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I think disposal measure cups would be nice.

405May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 7:42 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I think you are talking about Lore lol

406May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 7:55 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is 3am and my IC got me up. Roomie and Joe are going to the beach today so I need to think of something that they can eat when they get home that is easily digestible because both of them usually crash early in front of the TV. Maybe eggs. Scrambled.
I went to a culinary store today and bought something interesting by Vollrath. They are measuring scoops instead of measuring cups. They are shaped like spoons in 1/8, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 1 cup measures. They have longer handles than the usual measuring cup. I am going to have Joe put in some hooks on the underside of my butcher block table and hang them there.

Here is a link to what they look like:
http://www.amazon.com/Vollrath-47054-3-Piece-Heavy-Measuring/dp/B007IBUNJC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464431477&sr=8-2&keywords=vollrath+measuring+scoop

Of course I found them for half that amount.

While I was at Surfas, I got to sample Nueske's Applewood smoked bacon for the first time. I have been reading about that bacon for as long as I can remember about how all the higher end restaurants use it and I see it in recipes. It is usually mail order but Surfas has it for $12 for 12oz. YIKES! I must say it is delicious. The smoke flavor is real smoke, not the usual smoke flavor (artificial) that most grocery store bacon is flavored with. Besides the price, the only issue I have is that it is thick cut bacon. I really don't care for thick cut. I feel like I am chewing on beef jerky. So, for the moment I won't be buying any. It is funny, it is so strongly seasoned that a little goes a long way. A couple of bites are enough for me.

I have always been a fan of butterscotch meringue pie. My Texas grandmother made one for me back when I was in high school and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. For several years I have been trying recipes to find the ultimate filling. I am trying to make a copycat recipe of one from this old Pasadena hole-in-the-wall diner that actually is famous for their pies. They hand-make their own crusts and fillings on-site. The pies are the best I have ever had from a restaurant. They taste real. I have tried everything from dark brown, light brown sugars, dark muscovado, demerara, light muscovado, dulce de leche and homemade butterscotch sauce. They are all good but I want something better. I tried adding butterscotch extract to the mix and it was revolting and had to be tossed. The other day I got an idea and added a couple of crushed butterscotch hard candies to the mix.
That was what I had been looking for: just a hint of flavor. Now I am going to try evaporated milk and whole milk combos to see how it affects the texture and taste. Debbie, the mad scientist at work.

407May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 7:56 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barbara101 wrote:I think you are talking about Lore lol  

OOPS!

408May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 8:18 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I use Apple wood thick cut bacon. I was stunned to see it has jumped to $8.

409May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 8:27 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Storming here for the next 3 days and the cooking plans are iffy . I know my TV dish will be out!!!!
Tim will be smoking, his smoker is under patio roof . So I know that will be smoking away.

410May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 8:39 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I use Applewood regular cut bacon.

Yesterday I saw something in the restaurant supply that was new to me: a spoodle. It is a combo of a spoon and a ladle. Kind of odd looking. It is funny, if you do a slow walk through a restaurant supply you will see all kinds of mystery items. And the food items are just as strange. I saw a bag of powdered caramel sauce for $45.

411May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 8:45 am

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:I think you are talking about Lore lol  

OOPS!
OOOPs indeed!  The first thing I thought of when I read 'disposable measuring cups' was oh snap!  More garbage! I guess you folks here are getting to know me................ Well, here's more about 'ME'  

I wasn't aware before that it seems I have some organizational skills that have surfaced here since I moved into this condo building.  

I mentioned that I am organizing a barbecue party for the building.  Well, today is the day.  I, and the other members of the Social Committee, were concerned whether we would have enough people sign up to make it a viable endeavour.  We knew that we had to have 30 to make it worthwhile........................drum roll, please! We are up to 75 guests!  I feel like your former pres, Bill Clinton who some time after he had won the presidency said something like "I feel like the dog that chased cars all his life and finally caught one........... Now what do I do with it???"

The groceries have been bought, the weather is co-operating, no rain, but it will be HOT, 31 C and sticky!  

Gotta admit, it is really encouraging to see such interest in this.  Last night I had a phone call from the daughter of one of our more senior residents who normally does not come to other functions, because in her words "she doesn't do things like that any more."  The daughter bought 3 tickets because mom wants to come.  I guess most older people who have downsized really miss the outdoor BBQ events.  
Wish me luck.

412May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 9:47 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I used to be President of The New Comers Club when I lived in MD.I was head of Out to Lunch bunch and Crafts.

At the time I loved doing it.Lots of work to arrange bus trips and getting the funds to pay for it and organizing .trips to NYC,Atlantic city,Trips to historic places like Mt,Vernon,Gettysburg.DC,Annapolis,Plays and Theater.

I have  no desire to do it now lol.. I do not like crowds or traveling any more. I like my privacy and do not like being pushed to do something I don.t want to do.

I like the fact that Next door are watching out for me and bringing me food but she knocked on my door the other day 7 times between 4 and 7. No

Yesterday Tim smoked some pork chops and corn, and she the wife asked to come in to drink a bottle of wine with me.... affraid  I had to say 'oh another time,I do not feel good'...

I just like my privacy and I am not into all that anymore.I very rarely drink anything.Maybe a beer or glass of wine.. I do not want to entertain..

413May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 11:20 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, it sounds like you're really getting to enjoy being involved with the new neighbors. After living 'in the country' for 45+ years it's nice, here in The Villages, to have more of a sense of 'community'. It's not for everyone, as Barb would agree, but Dane and I find it refreshing to have new friends, peers, really....all retired and in the same age bracket. I don't miss being around noisy teenagers and crying babies at all. Oh, we see people's grandchildren, but it's not as concentrated as it was living in our old community. I can't remember the last time I heard a screaming child at the grocery store or got slammed into by a child running amuck in the grocery store with one of those damnable toy carts......don't miss that at all. LOL

414May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 11:22 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barb and Bugster.....have either of you had cherrywood smoked bacon? I use to get it from a small place back in Ohio. Best bacon I've ever tasted in my life. JMO

415May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 11:39 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, boy! Tina must be happy, happy, HAPPY......and I imagine YOU are sittin' there with a smile on your face, too.

You hit the nail right on the head! ....

416May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 11:39 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I should have moved to your house lol
I think I saw that bacon somewhere. ???

417May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 11:42 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I have a bag of chips cherry wood . Chunks I should have said. I used it for some Cornish Hens I smoked.

418May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 2:11 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Surfas also had a Nueske's cherrywood smoked bacon. I have never tasted that kind before.

419May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 2:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:
I just like my privacy and I am not into all that anymore.I very rarely drink anything.Maybe a beer or glass of wine.. I do not want to entertain..

I'm the same way! Like Tina says. "Why don't you call so and so, or this one, or that guy you worked with!" I'm like "FOR WHAT?"

I don't usually gibber jabber on the phone just for the heck of it!

Once in a while, but not every week.

Tina is on the phone c o n s t a n t l y with someone. bounce

420May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 2:37 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

No phone for me either . Hate when it rings. When I owned so many salons the phone rang none stop !!!!

Plus there is not anymore I want to talk to lol

421May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 3:13 pm

NormM

NormM

I just smoked some apple/maple bratwursts with oak wood. I also threw on some Johnsonville cheddar sausages and grille hamburgers. There should be enough to last us for a few days.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

422May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 3:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I just smoked some apple/maple bratwursts with oak wood.  I also threw on some Johnsonville cheddar sausages and grille hamburgers. There should be enough to last us for a few days.

Boy O Boy Norm. You must make the neighbors crazy with all that smoking.
They must be drooling!

423May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 4:20 pm

NormM

NormM

That happens sometimes. Very Happy

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

424May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 5:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, Norm, it's surprising they don't come a-knockin' on your door when that smoke fills the air! LOL

425May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 5:50 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 17 12924613_1073621946052706_7888848308306271214_n

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum