Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!!

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Bugster2
Barbara101
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 20]

426May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 6:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OMG....WHAT did you make? That is absolutely beautiful.....seriously beautiful. Seriously.

OK, so now I get to 'share' my boring pic of supper.....a one skillet meal with chicken, sweet potato, onion & asparagus...... Thanks to BARB....super BORING......

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 IMG_20160528_170510853

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 IMG_20160528_170717798_HDR

But, I have to admit, it was a tasty and easy supper to throw together. I used cut up boneless chicken thighs (cleaned of any noticable fat) because it has more flavor than chicken breast. Everything else I had in the refrigerator or pantry.....it was something I saw on Foodgawker and it caught my interest. The original recipe didn't call for onion but I put onion in EVERYTHING so it was a given it would be cooked up with the sweet potatoes.

And even though it was done in a cast iron skillet and "fried" it was still what I would consider a low calorie/low carb meal for Mr. Amazing.

One of these days HE'S going to be out of the house and I'm gonna make me some POTATO PANCAKES......and I'm gonna eat a whole PILE of 'em, with sour cream! But, ssssssshhhhhhhhhh, it's gotta be a secret. LOL

427May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 6:43 pm

NormM

NormM

My back yard neighbor and I are the only ones not fenced in and I share with them when I have extras.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

428May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 7:00 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Beth your dinner looks great.Love that mix up..

Just a french vanilla cake mix..Blackberries is all I had besides strawberries lol..

I also made butter pecan ice cream.. May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 2599281016 May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 2855670339

429May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 8:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth, the supper looks good. The chicken tips look well done.

Barb....the dessert looks awesome.

Tonight was a ham & cheese on a burger roll, and Tina had a BBQ hot dog. It's giving her grief now.

We are both with stomach / digestive issues. We are drinking tea to sooth whatever.

430May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 8:42 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Hot dogs give me heartburn. The burps. Also burgers, but I still eat them.

431May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 9:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Hot dogs give me heartburn. The burps. Also burgers, but I still eat them.

What happens with Christine, is hot dogs and some other foods will not pass out of the stomach. It gets like... stuck!
One of the downfalls of bariatric bypass surgery.

432May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 9:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Guess what's cooling off on the marble top?.......

Snap Crackle & Pop .....Rice Krispy Treats..... Ummm! Can't wait. 10 more minutes!

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 3593629538 NOTE!

When we make the recipe we use 1 + 1/2 stick of butter.
The original calls for 3 TBS of butter. Way Too Dry!

433May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 10:30 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

You recipe keeps the treats nice and chewy. It is the only one I use now.

434May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 10:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:You recipe keeps the treats nice and chewy. It is the only one I use now.

Yeah Deb,
I made the original recipe on the box of the cereal, and they were like bricks.
I tried to chew bites of it, and it scraped and hurt the roof of my mouth.
F l i n g * * * ... right to the birds and squirrels in the yard.

435May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sat May 28, 2016 11:35 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:Lore, it sounds like you're really getting to enjoy being involved with the new neighbors.  After living 'in the country' for 45+ years it's nice, here in The Villages, to have more of a sense of 'community'.  It's not for everyone, as Barb would agree, but Dane and I find it refreshing to have new friends, peers, really....all retired and in the same age bracket.  I don't miss being around noisy teenagers and crying babies at all.  Oh, we see people's grandchildren, but it's not as concentrated as it was living in our old community.  I can't remember the last time I heard a screaming child at the grocery store or got slammed into by a child running amuck in the grocery store with one of those damnable toy carts......don't miss that at all.  LOL
"What a great party!  The food is amazing! This is our first time coming to a condo event, we had no idea how much fun it would be! How have you managed to do all this?  When are we having the next barbecue?"  Those are some of the comments of people.  We ended up with 85 people, the weather was perfect............. However, there always seems to be one killjoy....... Some lady, who has a reputation as a complainer, complained that we didn't have lettuce for the burgers, and she didn't see that "we" should pay for this, it should be paid for by the condo board.  Everyone else was amazed at the amount of food, and we feel that we broke even, and that's all we hoped for.  

We learned a few things, there were lots of volunteers once we gave everyone in the building a list of what we needed help in.  

Good learning experience, and really a very nice way to spend a couple of hours with our neighbours.  I am exhausted. Yes, I'll be happy to do it again.  Someone suggested next week, but not for me that quickly!  Laughing

436May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sun May 29, 2016 7:37 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Congratulations! It's always wonderful when the event is over and it was a success.....now is time to relax and re-group. You're smart enough to take the comments from the 'complainer' with a grain of salt.....maybe she won't come the next time.

Sounds like once a month would be good for your group.....and enough time in between for the 'doers' to rest and recouperate. There's always a core group who seems to do 90% of the work. I'm sure your past experiences in the B&B served you well in the organization and planning of how much might be needed for the food, etc.

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 1628686546 May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 1628686546

437May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sun May 29, 2016 9:31 am

Niagara Visitor

Thanks!  Yes, time to relax.  We had 20 lbs. of potato salad which I had figured out would serve 75 people.  That was because one med. potato weighed about 6 oz.  One of the ladies thought it wasn't enough, so we bought another tub of 5 lbs.  That one was never opened.  Live and learn.  As for what seems to have been the single detractor if I would have heard the comment, I would have asked her who paid for her breakfast yesterday?  If only one person had something negative to say, then Halleluja!

Setup and cleanup went amazingly well. There was help from quite a few of the younger residents here, and that is encouraging to me.  I am the youngest member of the social committee, and I know that the older members have shouldered much more of the physical "stuff" that needs to be done when there is an event.  Well, I am not afraid or too shy to ask for participation.  I printed up and posted a TO Do list on the bulletin board in the building, and quite a few rose to the occasion.  Good for us.  There are quite a few people here using walkers, so we "Young ones" LOL have to do stuff while we can, right?  cheers cheers cheers cheers

438May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sun May 29, 2016 1:52 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 13321870_10207444397482282_8419520514313814917_n

Got my mac salad made. Not a very good pic, took it on my range with the light on over it,instead of outside in the sunshine day light,cause it is raining..

439May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sun May 29, 2016 4:57 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Tonight will be eggs benedict.
We have a couch in the den that is pushed up against a window seat. We have a cat tree that sits on the seat. I was on the couch watching TV and fell asleep. Katie's 10lb cat was in the top shelf of the tree, about 4 feet above the couch. She jumped straight down on my stomach using it as a springboard. OOF! That hurt!

440May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sun May 29, 2016 5:13 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

lol my cat does that to except from the dresser to right on me in the bed . When she wants fed she makes it known!!

441May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sun May 29, 2016 5:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Tonight will be eggs benedict.
We have a couch in the den that is pushed up against a window seat. We have a cat tree that sits on the seat. I was on the couch watching TV and fell asleep. Katie's 10lb cat was in the top shelf of the tree, about 4 feet above the couch. She jumped straight down on my stomach using it as a springboard. OOF! That hurt!

OMG... That cat jump not only hurts ( been there / had that ), but it scares the living heck out of you!
I have one cat ( gee gee ) that she will jump on my knee / leg, while I'm sitting, to jump higher to like the couch top back. She digs those back nails right into my leg. Instant bleeding  too! I hate when she does that. And she knows she did wrong; because her ears are down while I holler and scream from the pain.

442May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sun May 29, 2016 7:10 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Niagara Visitor wrote:
bethk wrote:Lore, it sounds like you're really getting to enjoy being involved with the new neighbors.  After living 'in the country' for 45+ years it's nice, here in The Villages, to have more of a sense of 'community'.  It's not for everyone, as Barb would agree, but Dane and I find it refreshing to have new friends, peers, really....all retired and in the same age bracket.  I don't miss being around noisy teenagers and crying babies at all.  Oh, we see people's grandchildren, but it's not as concentrated as it was living in our old community.  I can't remember the last time I heard a screaming child at the grocery store or got slammed into by a child running amuck in the grocery store with one of those damnable toy carts......don't miss that at all.  LOL
"What a great party!  The food is amazing! This is our first time coming to a condo event, we had no idea how much fun it would be! How have you managed to do all this?  When are we having the next barbecue?"  Those are some of the comments of people.  We ended up with 85 people, the weather was perfect............. However, there always seems to be one killjoy....... Some lady, who has a reputation as a complainer, complained that we didn't have lettuce for the burgers, and she didn't see that "we" should pay for this, it should be paid for by the condo board.  Everyone else was amazed at the amount of food, and we feel that we broke even, and that's all we hoped for.  

We learned a few things, there were lots of volunteers once we gave everyone in the building a list of what we needed help in.  

Good learning experience, and really a very nice way to spend a couple of hours with our neighbours.  I am exhausted. Yes, I'll be happy to do it again.  Someone suggested next week, but not for me that quickly!  Laughing

So glad everything went well, and everyone had an awesome Time!!

Now you are officially the 'Social Director' of your building!! Congrats!!

You need to get a "Social Committee"!!

443May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Sun May 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Niagara Visitor

We have a social committee.  It has been in operation here for many years.  The existing members  just needed a bit of a push to do something different.(Or somebody pushy!)  We are 7 ladies who look after organizing various things in the building.  There is something going on  pretty well every month.  June will be a strawberry social.  There are pot luck suppers two or three times a year, the last one was for St. Patrick's Day.

444May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Mon May 30, 2016 2:33 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I have lived in this condo now for almost 2 years.  I have no paper plates nor plastic cutlery or glasses.  I used paper plates very rarely on the farm.  Hate to eat off them, hate the waste of energy of producing them etc. etc.  But then I am in Canada, and we, I guess, are really picky about that.

We don't use them either, Lore. Personally, we both hate them. We spend a lot on food and spend a lot of time cooking and we both like our meals on china; we even use the good china half the time for just us. I usually break out the sterling flatware only for holidays, though, as we have to wash that by hand!!Laughing

We do have some large oval Chinet plates on hand because you can jury-rig two together that will hold a 12 to 14-pound smoked turkey when we make one and give it to someone; we just cover it with one of those large brown-in bags (which we only use for turkeys). I tape it tighter on the bottom so it looks better and then tie a ribbon around the twisty-tied end. It looks pretty and you can just slide the bag back on after munching on the turkey prior to putting it back in the fridge. We don't use plastic utensils or glasses either. We manage to just about fill up a dishwasher daily, too, but then I put just about everything in there that will fit. There's a light wash and a quick wash cycle if one prefers, too.

445May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Mon May 30, 2016 2:44 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Guess I need to apologize here.  I never had house cats.  They were barn cats, who only had food there, supplemented by the mice, chipmunks, grasshoppers they caught.  I would be washing dishes in the house also.

Our only cat left -- who just "showed up" in the yard a couple of months before our poor Lola died -- is an outside cat so she eats outside. We also have a bird feeder and usually have squirrel food out in the back yard, too. The blue jays and the mockingbirds come down every morning and evening and finish up the food that Hashtag (the cat) leaves in her bowl. We only feed her the dry stuff so it's not messy and the birds clean up the bowl for us. We wash it out a couple of times a week with the hose, and keep her water dish very clean. Yet she prefers drinking her water out of a watering can or a plant saucer that has water in it! Go figure! You've got to love cats!

446May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Mon May 30, 2016 2:58 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:We had brand new Sham Wow ( those orange cloths that were advertised on TV that absorbed water like a sponge). Well.....I took one, and placed it in a sheet pan, then only one layer of paper towels on top. I fried 4 big eggplants, all sliced that were breaded, and let them drain on the sham Wow pad. That pad sucked up oil like a sponge. When done, I soaked the pad in hot water and dish soap, then rinsed it, and threw it in the clothes washer machine to clean it. Perfect!!

I use a section of the newspaper with one paper towel on top when pan frying something, Jimmy! Then I recycle the lot. We're lucky here, as we have weekly recycle pickup and a big giant garbage can that they gave us to put it out in. I just remarked today to Brian how much stuff we usually recycle. The only thing they don't take is glass, as there's no glass place anywhere near the city since Katrina. That hasn't stopped me from drinking wine, though!

447May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Mon May 30, 2016 3:02 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:The weather was beautiful. We had rain for part of one day only. The only thing I didn't enjoy was that it was 'No-See-Em' bug season and my feet and legs got bitten every evening we sat on the balcony in the evening. I'm still itching like crazy! But it was a wonderful time with Lyn & Bill. The guys went golfing three days and Lyn and I had our fill of shopping......She found a little 'sandal factory' where they make sandals on the island (downtown by Mallory Square) and I bought 3 pairs of really cute sandals for $15/pair.....what a deal! (look up kinosandals.com ~ I think that's the name)

Glad y'all had a good time, Beth! I enjoyed seeing your food pics, too.

448May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Mon May 30, 2016 3:15 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm wrote:After it stopped raining, I grilled outside and did steak and corn. Inside I made a salad, cooked some mushrooms and baked a potato. The potato isn't on the table yet.

Your dinner looked great, Norm. You do make the prettiest bread, that's for sure! I would have had no problem digging into that bread, wheat or not. Brian, too -- he's a bread man from way back. I get into bread if we eat out and it's served warm -- I have to watch myself or I'll eat too much of it.

449May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Mon May 30, 2016 3:38 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Lore wrote:Gotta admit, it is really encouraging to see such interest in this. Last night I had a phone call from the daughter of one of our more senior residents who normally does not come to other functions, because in her words "she doesn't do things like that any more." The daughter bought 3 tickets because mom wants to come. I guess most older people who have downsized really miss the outdoor BBQ events.
Wish me luck.

I hope your event went well, Lore. Didn't sound like you needed any luck at all. Congrats on a job well done -- and done for such a reasonable price, too!

450May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 18 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Mon May 30, 2016 3:51 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Thanks!  Yes, time to relax.  We had 20 lbs. of potato salad which I had figured out would serve 75 people.  That was because one med. potato weighed about 6 oz.  One of the ladies thought it wasn't enough, so we bought another tub of 5 lbs.  That one was never opened.  Live and learn.  As for what seems to have been the single detractor if I would have heard the comment, I would have asked her who paid for her breakfast yesterday?  If only one person had something negative to say, then Halleluja!

Setup and cleanup went amazingly well. There was help from quite a few of the younger residents here, and that is encouraging to me.  I am the youngest member of the social committee, and I know that the older members have shouldered much more of the physical "stuff" that needs to be done when there is an event.  Well, I am not afraid or too shy to ask for participation.  I printed up and posted a TO Do list on the bulletin board in the building, and quite a few rose to the occasion.  Good for us.  There are quite a few people here using walkers, so we "Young ones" LOL have to do stuff while we can, right?  cheers cheers cheers cheers

Good for you! There's always some naysayer or whiner -- the fact that you had one out of 85 people is darn near miraculous!

Sometimes people are more than willing to help but just need a push in the right direction. Your TO DO list was a good idea. I'm glad a good time was had by all. Your hard work paid off, too, Lore, as I'm sure lots of those people were feeling good to have someplace to go that was convenient and easy to get to, where they knew some (or lots) of the others. I find some older people get very timid, especially if they're not used to being alone.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum