Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals

+5
cookingirl
bethk
Bugster2
Barbara101
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 23  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 23]

301FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:This one is a great tasting recipe, and mild. You would have to do a re-measure for a smaller amount!

• BREAKFAST SAUSAGE

• 6-3/4 pounds ground pork

2 tablespoons and 3/4 teaspoon dried sage

2 tablespoons and 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt

1 tablespoon and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram

3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes  ( The sweet pepper, NOT HOT )

3-1/4 pinches ground cloves (( Watch the clove, not too much! PINCHES ))

Then what??
Then... mix ... take your thumb and stuff it.
Into the casings that is! FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 2876911673 FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 2876911673 ...or make patties and freeze or them . We have a tupperware patty stacker. I love that thing! FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 3921676023

302FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

ok  I have 2 of those lol..I may have to make some of this..Patties tho.

303FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:ok  I have 2 of those lol..I may have to make some of this..Patties tho.

Funny Funny.... where the heck is my mind going?

Last summer, I was going to make hamburgers in the patty stackers, and I found the 12 of them, and there I am; looking for the tops! I asked Tina,"where the heck are all the tops gone for these things??? n.... Tina grabs three, and stacked them closed on top each other! ... Boing""" what a lump head, and she said,"each one is its top, all build in dummy!!! LOL

304FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:45 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

A slider press would make a better sized patty.

305FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:A slider press would make a better sized patty.

Yeah! Smaller, right?.... I got to look for one of those!

306FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:07 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I like hot and sweet Italian sausage.What do I add?

307FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:I like hot and sweet Italian sausage.What do I add?

I use this recipe Barb .... Look for the Omit for plain / sweet sausage.
I only make the HOT from this recipe!
Sometimes I add more of something if after I do a test patty by cooking...letting it come to room temperature first, and then tasting!
I always add more of the red hungarian sweet pepper. We like the sausage meat red in color.

SPICY HOT //// OR //// *SWEET PLAIN

Italian Sausage Seasoning for ( 4 Pounds )
Ingredients
SERVINGS: MAKES 12–14 LINKS; ABOUT 4 LBS.

• 1- 4-lb. skinless, boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), cut into 1–2" pieces, and then ground coarse.
• 30 grams kosher salt* ( *see below )
• 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, Crushed or Powdered if the seeds are not desired.

• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

• 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (( *Omit for Sweet / Plain Sausage ))
• 4 Tablespoons Hungarian Sweet Red paprika
1 teaspoon crushed Sweet red pepper flakes
• 2 teaspoons finely grated garlic

• 3 tablespoons dry red wine

• *To bind, sausage needs an exact salt-to-meat ratio by weight. No scale? Use 3 Tbsp. Diamond Crystal kosher salt or 2 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. Morton coarse kosher salt.

Mix all thoroughly Add a little water if too stiff! MIX MIX MIX Well!

308FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I tried something new for 1-inch thick center cut pork chops last night. I saw a recipe for pork tenderloin online and just adapted it for the two pork chops Brian had defrosted. Made a "rub" of sorts with brown sugar, Kosher salt, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper and rubbed it on the dry pork chops on both sides and the edges. Then I wrapped each pork chop with slices of bacon, securing each slice of bacon with toothpicks on the side of each chop, so the toothpicks wouldn't interfere with the browning of the bacon.

Then I seared them in a cast iron skillet with canola oil until they were a deep brown, about 6 to 7 minutes per side. I didn't disturb them in the pan while doing this either. After mixing together a glaze made of apricot preserves and Zatarain's whole grain mustard, I brushed the chops on both sides with the glaze and baked them at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Took them out of the oven when the Thermapen said the temp was 135 degrees, and tented them while I finished up the other stuff prior to serving, knowing the temp would rise a bit to 140 or beyond, which was perfect.

They really turned out well and were delicious -- very tasty and nice and juicy. Wish I had a camera as they were really divine looking, as was the finished plate, which we had with leftover pork fried rice and apple sauce (wish I had had some of Jimmy's homemade apple sauce).

Only one piece of bacon on one chop came loose, too, so I was completely satisfied. I had thought about par-cooking the bacon prior to wrapping it around the chops but decided not to. Glad I didn't, as it wasn't necessary at all.

It's funny, as when I asked Brian a couple of years ago to pick up two containers of smoked paprika, he bought two containers of the regular paprika. So I dumped one of the containers in a metal cake pan and put it on the smoker when we were smoking something else. I guess we left it on the smoker for about 1-1/2 hours; it has the best smoked flavor! We also smoke Kosher salt like that, too. It adds a subtle smoked flavor to the salt but added a bit more of a smoked flavor to the paprika.

309FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sounds like it would be delicious with either the tenderloin or, as you did, the center cut chops.

310FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:I tried something new for 1-inch thick center cut pork chops last night.  I saw a recipe for pork tenderloin online and just adapted it for the two pork chops Brian had defrosted.  Made a "rub" of sorts with brown sugar, Kosher salt, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper and rubbed it on the dry pork chops on both sides and the edges.  Then I wrapped each pork chop with slices of bacon, securing each slice of bacon with toothpicks on the side of each chop, so the toothpicks wouldn't interfere with the browning of the bacon.

Then I seared them in a cast iron skillet with canola oil until they were a deep brown, about 6 to 7 minutes per side.  I didn't disturb them in the pan while doing this either.  After mixing together a glaze made of apricot preserves and Zatarain's whole grain mustard, I brushed the chops on both sides with the glaze and baked them at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.  Took them out of the oven when the Thermapen said the temp was 135 degrees, and tented them while I finished up the other stuff prior to serving, knowing the temp would rise a bit to 140 or beyond, which was perfect.  

They really turned out well and were delicious -- very tasty and nice and juicy.  Wish I had a camera as they were really divine looking, as was the finished plate, which we had with leftover pork fried rice and apple sauce (wish I had had some of Jimmy's homemade apple sauce).

Only one piece of bacon on one chop came loose, too, so I was completely satisfied.  I had thought about par-cooking the bacon prior to wrapping it around the chops but decided not to.  Glad I didn't, as it wasn't necessary at all.  

It's funny, as when I asked Brian a couple of years ago to pick up two containers of smoked paprika, he bought two containers of the regular paprika.  So I dumped one of the containers in a metal cake pan and put it on the smoker when we were smoking something else.  I guess we left it on the smoker for about 1-1/2 hours; it has the best smoked flavor!  We also smoke Kosher salt like that, too.  It adds a subtle smoked flavor to the salt but added a bit more of a smoked flavor to the paprika.

Don't need a camera. It was well described to the tee!
Oh! and that bacon that dropped off! I could see the scramble to get that in the chefs mouth! LOL...

311FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:51 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Sounds like it would be delicious with either the tenderloin or, as you did, the center cut chops.

I agree, Beth. We love pork tenderloin and usually have a couple of them in the freezer as well but we've already gone through them. Our freezer (we don't have a stand alone, just the bottom of our French door refrigerator) is packed solid so we're trying to use what's in there before buying other stuff (this seems to be killing Brian). Once it gets down to a reasonable level, I'm going to make a list of what's in there and where it's roughly located, say, left back quadrant, bottom bin; Brian moves things around all the time when he's looking for something but can never remember where he moved them to. I usually try to take note of where things are when I'm looking for something but, of course, that means nothing when someone is going behind you and moving stuff!

I also tend to put certain things in the same place all the time, like packages of bacon on the pull out tray on the top of the freezer because they're flat. I put small bags of stuff (like tablespoons of tomato paste or frozen cubes of fresh herbs or stock) on the freezer shelf but yep, he moves those, too. I hate to complain as the man does just about everything for me, but it makes me crazy, which he knows. If that's one of his few flaws, I know I'm extremely lucky. But with my back the way it is, I've learned to drag a chair over to the freezer compartment when I'm looking for something, as it's going to take a while...

312FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

For some reason I was hungry for hot dogs.....hmmmm, wonder why?

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 IMG_20160218_174004294

313FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:09 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Don't need a camera. It was well described to the tee!
Oh! and that bacon that dropped off! I could see the scramble to get that in the chefs mouth! LOL...

You cracked me up, Jimmy, as I did indeed put it on my plate.  But, in all fairness Smile , it did fall off of my chop (I always give the prettiest serving to Brian, which I'm sure everyone does when they're cooking).  

But this morning, he cooked up some bacon in the same pan we used last night for the chops (it was covered last night and cooling prior to planned washing today) and I can't tell you how delicious it was -- had the flavor of that rub on it and was super.  He cracked me up when he said it was so good that I almost didn't get any! Recently another of the vertebrae in my back cracked so I've been staying in bed a lot longer in the morning (on the days when we don't have to mix my medicine, like this morning; we mix and connect it to my pump every other day).  He brings me breakfast on those days (today it was my favorite, onion bagels with cream cheese and iced coffee with some hazelnut syrup in it) and then followed up almost two hours later with some of that "special" bacon.  What can I say except how lucky I am!

314FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I learned NOT to open and look for aanything in the new bottom freezer we just recently got.
Yesterday, I needed to put a few small containers of chili sauce in the freezer.
Tina was in the living room on the recliner watchng the TV, and I found a spot only if I could remove a big container of stupid Pumpkin that DD made from the pumpkins she grew on the farm.

I carefully pulled it out, and all I did was pop the lid, and Big Ears Tina right away, heard the lid pop! Darn it! She said,"What was that?" I said,"Oh the container of pumpkin fell and cracked!" ... ( I lied ). She said," Oh That's Maria's!"
Not No More, I said. It's going out to the animals to eat!

Now, if you were to go into the basement and in the garage, I swear, there are at least 27 to 35 big cans of pumpkin. Most are Libby's Brand. 28 oz. ones.

So, I prefer not to even open the freezer. I told Tina, I am going to tie a string of butcher twine with a tag on the end, and all we need to do, is follow the string for whatever we have and need if it is on the tag! ....

Our freezers are like a Corn Maze!!!

315FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:For some reason I was hungry for hot dogs.....hmmmm, wonder why?

Wow! ... they look so good! As a matter of fact, I am getting the chili sauce and hot dogs out to cook right now as I type this!....

316FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:40 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:For some reason I was hungry for hot dogs.....hmmmm, wonder why?

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 940422454 Gosh wish I had some hot dogs .lol..

317FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:19 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

These made me very happy! I call these "Happy Dogs!"

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 BjL5QL

318FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:08 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I learned NOT to open and look for aanything in the new bottom freezer we just recently got.
Yesterday, I needed to put a few small containers of chili sauce in the freezer.
Tina was in the living room on the recliner watchng the TV, and I found a spot only if I could remove a big container of stupid Pumpkin that DD made from the pumpkins she grew on the farm.

I carefully pulled it out, and all I did was pop the lid, and Big Ears Tina right away, heard the lid pop! Darn it! She said,"What was that?" I said,"Oh the container of pumpkin fell and cracked!" ... ( I lied ). She said," Oh That's Maria's!"

Now, if you were to go into the basement and in the garage, I swear, there are at least 27 to 35 big cans of pumpkin. Most are Libby's Brand. 28 oz. ones.

So, I prefer not to even open the freezer. I told Tina, I am going to tie a string of butcher twine with a tag on the end, and all we need to do, is follow the string for whatever we have and need if it is on the tag! ....

I hate having to dig in the freezer. Usually something heavy and frozen falls out and lands on my foot. That is when I wish I had a walk-in freezer. I have a friend who used to have a walk-in fridge and freezer. What a luxury that was. I was in awe because I had never seen one before.
Our freezers are like a Corn Maze!!!

319FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:00 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
I hate having to dig in the freezer. Usually something heavy and frozen falls out and lands on my foot. That is when I wish I had a walk-in freezer. I have a friend who used to have a walk-in fridge and freezer. What a luxury that was. I was in awe because I had never seen one before.
Our freezers are like a Corn Maze!!! [/font][/size]
[/quote]

A walk in freezer is nice. I'm sure a 6 foot x 10 foot one would be perfect for a home. If I had one, Tina would manage to pack it to the gills.
A double sliding door, all medium temperature refrigerator would be nice, with glass see through doors. LOL... That way, it would have to be kept neat and in order. hahahahaha

I always wanted to have a walk in freezer, but I got old too fast! Time just flew by so fast. No I could have installed it myself too! I did commercial refrigeration for years when I was younger. The weirdest being cryogenic sperm bank storage, to morgues, and even freezing climate rooms for penguins at the zoo! hahahahahaha

320FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:16 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

When I saw morgue, I started laughing because it reminded me of a friend of ours who had to do some repair work inside the fridge at the O.C. morgue. He hired a skittish Hispanic man who was fresh off the boat to help him. The man was NOT keen about working around dead people. So, they started working inside the fridge with all of these sheet covered gurneys. As the man walked by one of the corpses, an arm popped out. The man took off like a bat out of hell. Our friend almost peed his pants laughing so hard. Needless to say, he never saw his hired help again. We were rolling on the floor laughing so hard after hearing the story.

321FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:29 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:I carefully pulled it out, and all I did was pop the lid, and Big Ears Tina right away, heard the lid pop! Darn it! She said,"What was that?" I said,"Oh the container of pumpkin fell and cracked!" ... ( I lied ). She said," Oh That's Maria's!"

You can tell Tina has kids, 'cause she has ears just like a mom! Had to laugh about the huge container of pumpkin in the freezer with all the cans of it in the basement. I've read before that the canned pumpkin actually tastes better than the fresh pumpkin, though I've never compared the two.

You also cracked me up telling Tina the container cracked!!!

322FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:30 pm

NormM

NormM

I can tell the difference between pie made from pumpkin and pumpkin in a can. I think it tastes better but I am seldom ambitious enough anymore to make it from scratch. It isn't all that much better.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

323FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:19 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I agree Norm . I have made several pumpkin pies with fresh pumpkin and it was flat tasting . Canned is much better . I buy when on sale and stock up . I feed my dogs pumpkin all the time . I also just love sweet potato pie .

324FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:I carefully pulled it out, and all I did was pop the lid, and Big Ears Tina right away, heard the lid pop! Darn it! She said,"What was that?" I said,"Oh the container of pumpkin fell and cracked!" ... ( I lied ). She said," Oh That's Maria's!"

You can tell Tina has kids, 'cause she has ears just like a mom!  Had to laugh about the huge container of pumpkin in the freezer with all the cans of it in the basement.  I've read before that the canned pumpkin actually tastes better than the fresh pumpkin, though I've never compared the two.

You also cracked me up telling Tina the container cracked!!!

Not only does she have good ears, but she also has a good memory! She asked," what did you do with that container that was cracked?"
I said,"I threw it in the recycles bin!" .... Truthfully, I washed it, and put it in the closet, which means, I need to somehow, get it, and take it in the garage, and crack it.
I could see, one lie, is leading to another. Geeesh! ....because she said," oh good!" "Then you emptied the recycle bin, because I couldn't fit another can or bottle into it!".......... Gosh! I feel like a criminal! "A poor stupid one at that!"

325FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 13 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I can tell the difference between pie made from pumpkin and pumpkin in a can.  I think it tastes better but I am seldom ambitious enough anymore to make it from scratch.  It isn't all that much better.

You are right Norm. The only time I can tell. is if someone bakes a pumpkin pie; using the canned pumpkin with the spices already in it.
Tina and the girls only buy the pure plain pumpkin, and add their own spices.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 23]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum