Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration

+4
cookingirl
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
Imelda HL
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 12]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, Barb....and there's something about those bits of dressing that get 'brown' (aka ~ black!) on the bottom of the casserole dish. OMG, so good. I just made a small amount, same as if I was making it for a holiday meal. I don't know why I don't think of it more often.

The gravy was just made with a butter/flour roux and some boxed stock. There's a new one out, Rotiserie Chicken (in a smaller carton) that is really flavorful. Good stuff.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I reheated the chicken & dressing and green beans I cooked on Tuesday when Dane ended up going out to eat with the golfers....

It was amazingly good with a slow and careful microwave reheat and then a few minutes in the oven to crisp it up just a bit.  Nothing so good as homemade dressing - don't need a turkey or whole chicken when just a breast or pieces will do!

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 2 010215

Looks good Beth!... When you said slow and careful microwave heat, I remember no microwaves, and mom heating the leftovers in the oven.

Covered with tin foil as we called aluminum foil.... She used a 1/2 sheet pan, and placed all the leftovers together. Later in years, she heated in the oven, but with the washed TV dinner trays that she saved.

Sometimes she would just put the hot pan in the center of the table, and we all took what we wanted from that. There was no dirtying up serving platters for leftovers.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina stopped at Micky D's and got me and Gabe, a Double cheese burger for supper. They ( DW & GD ), ate at the airport while waiting for Son and DIL!

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Looks good Beth!... When you said slow and careful microwave heat, I remember no microwaves, and mom heating the leftovers in the oven.

Covered with tin foil as we called aluminum foil.... She used a 1/2 sheet pan, and placed all the leftovers together. Later in years, she heated in the oven, but with the washed TV dinner trays that she saved.

Sometimes she would just put the hot pan in the center of the table, and we all took what we wanted from that. There was no dirtying up serving platters for leftovers.

Yeah, I remember those old dried up leftovers, too.

But today's microwaves do allow for a reheat with much better results.

I reheat using a 30% power and turn the machine on for multiple 3 minute intervals.....until my Thermapen registers 150°-165° (the Thermapen is another invaluable tool for reheating!). By bringing the food up to temp slowly, it gives a chance for it to become heated without getting dried out or the protein turning into rubber. It sure is a better way than what our mothers did back in the 1960's.

Barbara101

Barbara101

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 2 1966894_10204132872696232_695239045100419156_n

Getting my Minestrone on in my new stock pot...Odd this pic sure looked much brighter on my phone.In fact it was perfect color,when I downloaded it lost its glow.?????

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 2 1966894_10204132872696232_695239045100419156_n

Getting my Minestrone on in my new stock pot...Odd this pic sure looked much brighter on my phone.In fact it was perfect color,when I downloaded it lost its glow.?????

That happens to me Barb, and one thing I notice, is, see above the stove, the bright light or reflection? That could be a flash or white out that causes a haze in the picture. It happens to me when I take a pic and the sun causes direct glare!

I see like that anyway; with these cataracts I have to get out soon.

Nice crock / stew / soup pot!!.....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Mee Ohh My!! I cannot decide what to cook today!

Had a little upset in weekend plans. Tina's 93 yo Aunt had to be rushed to the hospital. Was bleeding ( colon ) ... under control, but now she is having difficulty breathing. Always something!!
It is snowing like the dickens, but not supposed to create any large amount of snow. Change to rain later. Although in 10 minutes, everything is covered. ( Even the roads ) .....
It's 31.2º out now, but by tomorrow, they say 61º!!! Yaaak ! Heat wave! Hate it !!

Sick of tomato sauce....sick of spaghetti.....sick of ham...sick of beef. IDK????
Maybe I will make the Medium shells with fried onions and kidney beans!
A steak-um sandwich with cheese for Gabe. He is not a Pasta or soup eater.

My mind can change any minute, and I'm already thinking of Shepherds Pie! Hmmm!!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, Barb....BEAUTIFUL new Le Creuset pan. I know you will be able to make wonderful things in it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Mr. Amazing says, "Thanks, Barb!"  ((WHY, you ask???))

Well, Barb was my inspiration for tonight's supper and Mr. Amazing liked it.  It was also courtesy of Tyler Florence for his Food Network recipe, "Roast Loint of Pork with Baked Apples and Cider Gravy".

Here's a link:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/roast-loin-of-pork-with-baked-apples-and-cider-gravy-recipe2.html

The center cut pork loin I picked up was because Barb's pork and apples looked SO good to me.  I even bought Pink Lady apples!  LOL ~ Copycat, Copycat, Copycat!

I started looking for something a little different to do with the pork and came across the recipe on Food Network site.  The pork is seasoned with fresh thyme and fresh sage (which was surprisingly wonderful in both the pork and the apple stuffing).  The cider gravy was made with Hard Cider (found in the beer section of the grocery store) and was a nice compliment with a complex flavor when added with chicken stock to the pan drippings.

The recipe called for a corn muffin....I had leftover cornbread so that sealed the deal when deciding to use the recipe.  The apples were cored and then stuffed with crumbled cornbread which had some chopped sage, butter, brown sugar and raisins added.  

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 2 RoastPorkLoinwbakedapplesandHardCiderGravy

I also roasted a couple cut up sweet potatoes and added some peas for color.....

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 2 010315

Barbara101

Barbara101

Looks great lol.You went to more trouble then I did . I am getting so lazy in my old age January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 2 2876911673

My minestrone is done & sitting.I am not even hungry yet..

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:Looks great lol.You went to more trouble then I did . I am getting so lazy in my old age January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 2 2876911673

My minestrone is done & sitting.I am not even hungry yet..

You're not hungry because you've been smelling it all afternoon!

But think of how good it will taste tomorrow even if you have some tonight!

((easy to cool down the whole pan in a sink of ice water))

Barbara101

Barbara101

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 2 Images

This is my lazy shortcut.Added salt/pepper.dash of OO.pinch of thyme.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neither Dane nor I are big fans of mustard. I keep giving it a try and he just shakes his head ((no)) at me.....

I did open a jar of Harry & David Honey/Sesame/Mustard to have with the pretzel bites I made for New Year's Eve. That wasn't bad. Not bad at all.

Barbara101

Barbara101

ok my minestrone is not as good as in the past.I used a vegetable broth instead of beef or chicken..I have half a large pot left ..What can I put in it to make it better lol.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:ok my minestrone is not as good as in the past.I used a vegetable broth instead of beef or chicken..I have half a large pot left ..What can I put in it to make it better lol.

Chicken bullion cubes. Start with two, or better yet, one beef and one chicken.

Barbara101

Barbara101

On it ..Thanks Jimmy..

bethk

bethk
Admin

I woulda said the same thing....or soup base ~ which is what I have in my pantry.

Barbara101

Barbara101

HA looks like we both got up early this morning..When I got up for the 5th time ,I just decided to stay up. January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 2 574689230

bethk

bethk
Admin

yeah ~ just one of those nights....pot of coffee just about gone.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Mee Ohh My!! I cannot decide what to cook today!

Sick of tomato sauce....sick of spaghetti.....sick of ham...sick of beef. IDK????
Maybe I will make the Medium shells with fried onions and kidney beans!
A steak-um sandwich with cheese for Gabe. He is not a Pasta or soup eater.

My mind can change any minute, and I'm already thinking of Shepherds Pie! Hmmm!!

I got to thinking about what you said....a cooking funk is never any fun.

What about some fried cabbage & onions? Maybe a bit of sausage. Heck, you could even toss in some kidney beans or another canned bean to 'beef' it up! Then, instead of noodles, you probably have some leftover shells somewhere in the fridge....

Just tryin' to help out....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

That all sounds good Beth, but what the problem is, is three people living here, with different tastes.

Like you said, Adding sausage and different beans ......that all sounds good to me.
I would have to make that separate from Tina's... and forget the Uncle; he won't eat any sausage unless it's a hot dog.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Make some Mac & Cheese..With a side of hot dogs lol.

Barbara101

Barbara101

I bought fixin for enchiladas.nacho and or taco salad.   Chili..Upcoming week.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm tired of chicken. I'm tired of pork. Next choice.....look in the freezer for some BEEF! Thank goodness I had a steak. That's definately what I was hungry for.

I checked the refrigerator and saw the last of the pea pods & bok choy I bought a week ago ((still good, go figure...)) and decided that would do for a nice stir fry vegetable side. Some baby potatoes in a foil packet on the grill finished off the meal for two.

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 2 010415

Barbara101

Barbara101

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 2 10702242_10203523093931034_4919663796631366262_n

Not minestrone lol...Lazy dinner.Open bag,throw in oven,while grilling a steak.. January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 2 512660330 ,,,,,80` today..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum