Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Year's Eve / Day ~ Ringing in 2015 !!!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I found a nice article about some of the ideas behind the 'good-luck' foods many people prepare for the New Year.

Here's a link:

http://www.womansday.com/food-recipes/10-good-luck-foods-for-the-new-year-114348

NormM

NormM

We usually have ham hocks, black eyed peas, greens and corn bread. That covers 4 out of the 10 mentioned. A couple years ago we had some traditional Mexican foods for New Years and none of the good luck symbols we usually had. The next day I broke three bones in my ankle.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup....call me superstitious if you will, but I'm gonna eat me some 'good luck' foods just to be safe!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got my New Year's Day meal started. The ham hocks were way overpriced - no way am I paying $9+ for a package of bones to season my broth to cook collards in. Instead, I got a huge piece of smoked hog jowl ~ NEVER saw that in the stores up north. Turns out it didn't have much of a smokey flavor as it was cooking. But since I only spent $2 (pkg. was $4 and I froze half to use for another time) I decided to go back to see what else I could find. Picked up a huge package of smoked pork neck bones for $3 and now it smells like I'll have a great stock to cook with. I've got the smoked bones in a pot of water with an onion (quartered), the celery heart from a stalk, some black pepper corns (whole) and a shake of red pepper flakes. When the bones are falling apart tender I'll strain the broth & cool down to put into the refrigerator so I can de-fat before cooking with the stock Thursday.

Collards were BOGO - what the heck I'm gonna do with all of them is beyond me. But they don't seem to have much dirt so I'm only washing them about 3 times ~ once as I cut them off the plant, once when I cut out the stem and finally, when I roll & cut into strips.

I've got leftover rice to have with the black eyed peas (ended up getting a small can) and I'll probably suppliment the flavor with some bacon or chopped ham. I also will make a small pan of cornbread (Barb, don't shoot me ~ I'm gonna use Jiffy cause I like it on the sweet side).

NormM

NormM

Two years ago a store here had huge ham hocks but the next year the ham hocks were just bone and gristle. Ham shanks were more meaty.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Barbara101

Barbara101

(Barb, don't shoot me ~ I'm gonna use Jiffy cause I like it on the sweet side).

lol! I happen to like jiffy.

I am sitting here catchin up on posts.I need my laptop to do that.Sorry Iphone does not cut it.

Seems like I have been gone a month..Ate to much,spent to much.I am heading out in the early am.I know 2 dogs will be thrilled to leave & get home.

I have no food at home so IDK whats to eat.Guess it will be a trip to store for me. I always do a pork roast & some sort potato for NYD..

Chris has my car packed LOL he must be thrilled to get rid of my 2 yappers.I think I am taking as much home as I brought.Can not wait to cook in my new cookware.. New Year's Eve / Day ~ Ringing in 2015 !!! 3267860543

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

on Chinese New Year.. we eat whole fish, oranges and sweet cake for health and wealth Razz .. on birthdays, noodles are a must eat for Chinese or most Asian tradition

this New Year, we are going to have Blackeye Pea soup, with ham and corn bread.. I was going to make corn bread casserole, but I could not find any cream of corn soup at all... so Dirk grabbed a can of Quaker corn meal, and I'm going to make my corn meal following the recipe on the can

Barbara.. sounds like you have a good trip, drive safe, we are waiting for more stories of your trip

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Son and Wife are in Las Vegas today, and will be home friday PM.

DD doesn't think she will be here. I guess that means she will get "S" faced and hammered at home with friends; or in one of the barns on the farm.

So that leaves mom and Dad alone. Wednesday Eve, I plan on making the Tomato sauce and meatballs and sausage for The NYDay dinner. Tina was wishing for Braccioli, so I will make some of them to cook in the sauce.

I guess we will watch the arrival of the new year on the TV. Drinks???.... Oh yeah!!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:on Chinese New Year.. we eat whole fish, oranges and sweet cake for health and wealth  Razz .. on birthdays, noodles are a must eat for Chinese or most Asian tradition

this New Year, we are going to have Blackeye Pea soup, with ham and corn bread.. I was going to make corn bread casserole, but I could not find any cream of corn soup at all... so Dirk grabbed a can of Quaker corn meal, and I'm going to make my corn meal following the recipe on the can

Barbara.. sounds like you have a good trip, drive safe, we are waiting for more stories of your trip

Imelda - the corn casserole uses a 15 oz. can of regular corn and a 15 oz. can of CREAMED CORN.  It is found in the same shelf as the regular corn, just called "creamed corn".  It is NOT SOUP so that is why you could not find it.

Here, it is a canned vegetable - not all that appetizing on it's own, but works well as an ingredient. Some people eat it as a side dish, just warmed up and a bit of butter and s&p added, but usually it is someone who grew up with a mother who put it on the dinner table that way ~ LOL.  

This is just one of those times when the cultural differences can sneak up on you....I know canned creamed corn is NOT something you would have had when you were growing up.  

I remember some friends of ours, back in the 1970's ~ she was born and raised in Germany and married a US Serviceman who was stationed in Germany.  We would all get excited when the fresh sweet corn was available in July or August.  She wouldn't eat it at all.  She said in Germany, where she was from, corn was "pig food" and not something people ate.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:on Chinese New Year.. we eat whole fish, oranges and sweet cake for health and wealth  Razz .. on birthdays, noodles are a must eat for Chinese or most Asian tradition

Imelda - the corn casserole uses a 15 oz. can of regular corn and a 15 oz. can of CREAMED CORN.  It is found in the same shelf as the regular corn, just called "creamed corn".  It is NOT SOUP so that is why you could not find it.

Here, it is a canned vegetable - not all that appetizing on it's own, but works well as an ingredient.  Some people eat it as a side dish, just warmed up and a bit of butter and s&p added, but usually it is someone who grew up with a mother who put it on the dinner table that way ~ LOL.  

This is just one of those times when the cultural differences can sneak up on you....I know canned creamed corn is NOT something you would have had when you were growing up.  

I remember some friends of ours, back in the 1970's ~ she was born and raised in Germany and married a US Serviceman who was stationed in Germany.  We would all get excited when the fresh sweet corn was available in July or August.  She wouldn't eat it at all.  She said in Germany, where she was from, corn was "pig food" and not something people ate.

Embarassed oops that was a mixed up.. I even asked D to look for creamed corn in soup aisle and he could not find it either.. I knew there is creamed corn soup somewhere :lol

I think I'm going with my cornbread tomorrow, and make the corn casserole next time

it's gloomy and showering here, so outdoor BBQ for Korean ribs is out.. I'm thinking of Blackeye pea soup for today, and save some for tomorrow.. we'll eat the leftover for good luck
Laughing

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy isn't it crummy when the weather changes your plans?  I get so upset when I have my mouth all ready for, say, a good grilled burger and then it starts pouring outside.....darn!  But, we are, if nothing else, inventive in our substitutions!

I'd go with the cornbread you have planned, too.  No need to make another trip to the store.

Here's a pic of my Brown Sugar Glazed Bacon Wrapped Sausages.  Every time I make them to take to a get-together I always come home with an empty casserole dish!

New Year's Eve / Day ~ Ringing in 2015 !!! GlazedBaconwrappedSausages

And here's a pic of the Soft Pretzel Bites I made.  For some reason they sounded like fun to make.  Well, they weren't difficult, but I don't think I'd put them in the 'fun' catagory ~ LOL.  I just picked up a jar of store bought queso sauce......since I don't eat the stuff, maybe someone on the forum can tell me ~ ~ Can I warm the jar of queso up and serve it hot with the pretzels?  ((Or will it separate and get nasty tasting?))

OK, never mind.....all I had to do was put on my magnifying glasses and then I was able to read the directions on the back of the jar to microwave & stir until hot....geeze ~ could they get the print any smaller????

New Year's Eve / Day ~ Ringing in 2015 !!! SoftPretzelBites

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum