Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner??

+5
Imelda HL
Barbara101
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 14]

NormM

NormM

I saw this recipe, thought it looked good, made a few adjustments and the kids immediately knew what it was even though I'd never heard of it before. It is Chicken Shawarma with Lime Avocado Mayo. I added a salad made with mixed field greens, chopped dates, orange sections, and a trail mix that is mostly nuts and raisins. We put the salad and chicken in pita bread.

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 3 DSCN1604_zps7de46066

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I saw this recipe, thought it looked good, made a few adjustments and the kids immediately knew what it was even though I'd never heard of it before. It is Chicken Shawarma with Lime Avocado Mayo. I added a salad made with mixed field greens, chopped dates, orange sections, and a trail mix that is mostly nuts and raisins.  We put the salad and chicken in pita bread.

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 3 DSCN1604_zps7de46066

Kinda interesting Norm. Great idea filling the pita breads. Hmmm!

Got me thinking...sausage grilled with onion chunks and peppers, and stuff that in a pita bread. As long as the pita doesn't burst open. It would be a great and fun thing to eat.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I saw this recipe, thought it looked good, made a few adjustments and the kids immediately knew what it was even though I'd never heard of it before. It is Chicken Shawarma with Lime Avocado Mayo. I added a salad made with mixed field greens, chopped dates, orange sections, and a trail mix that is mostly nuts and raisins.  We put the salad and chicken in pita bread.

is that the recipe where the chicken is marinated in yogurt and spices?

NormM

NormM

Chicken
No Beth. Here is the recipe.  There is a little  yogurt in the avocado mayo though.

1 lbs  chicken breast, cut into 3-inch strips
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
¾ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground coriander

Note I added onion, red and yellow peppers when I skewered it for the grill.

Lime Avocado Mayo

1 ripe avocado
2 tablespoons mayo (make your own paleo mayo with this recipe)
2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
Juice of one lime
¼ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
Ground black pepper to taste

Directions

Heat a grill .
In a bowl whisk olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, curry powder, cumin and coriander until combined.
In a shallow sealable container or in a large Ziplock bag, combine chicken strips and marinade.
Cover or seal and marinate at room temperature for at least 20 minutes.

In the meantime make the avocado mayo. In a bowl mash the avocado until smooth. Add mayo, Greek yogurt, lime juice, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Set aside.

Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill until golden brown and cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes turning regularly, until juices run clear (if you want you can skewer chicken strips onto bamboo sticks that have been soaked in water for 5 minutes.)

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sounds tasty. Thanks!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leave the house in a downpour to go to the local Applebee's OR make my own Oriental Chicken Salad??? Hmmmm, IF the rain hits me I might just melt. Guess I should just make the salad at home:

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 3 080614

Barbara101

Barbara101

I vote for home made too. Not a fan of ABees. Altho I could eat 4 bowls of the spinach dip & those thin chips. Oh wait maybe that is Chilies  AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 3 2876911673 

NormM

NormM

It just started raining hard here too.

Barbara101

Barbara101

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 3 10013864_10203453414190383_8592477531822008406_n

Flank steak with roasted tomato on a bed of Polenta.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Food Food...Looks so Good,
Grandma Hates that Lil Red Riding Hood...

That's all Red Does, Is make it and Take it....
To Dear little old Grandma, who lives where it's flat!

Gee.... " No Wonder Why  Grandma Is Fat!"

Don't worry Beth.... you can Never melt in the rain. Why, You're the Good witch from the West.

And Barb.... That meal can surely feed,"Lions and Tigers, and Bears!"

And Norm,....be careful "Don't Step on Totos' Tail!"  Laughing 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Waiting for Tina to get back from Atlantic City.
She and everyone lost Big Time.
She text me and said...(back on bus...no win.) ... I text back, and said,"OK Tonto!"
Poor kid had no clue what I was getting at!...hahahahaha

Gabe had roast beef I had frozen; and mixed canned vegetables.
His thin bread and olive oil dip, and a coffee.....
I had a late lunch of a sliced egg with mayo and lettuce, on a burger bun.
The darn bun was so small, I could have wolfed down three of those baby's.
But I held off, and let will power help me.

My idea of Will Power, is,"I Will Eat it Later!"  

Dontcha worry, I have my sights on a nice ham and cheese sandwich for later on tonight.

NormM

NormM

Did you know my mom's name is Dorothy?

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Did you know my mom's name is Dorothy?

Now I remember who you remind me of....Burt Lahr (is that the right spelling??? I'm not sure).

He was the Cowardly Lion....such a sweetheart with Dorothy.

and if it's raining you'll have to watch outside to see over the rainbow...

Good Grief, I don't know where all that came from~LOL

NormM

NormM

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Norm, I know your moms name was Dorothy.
I never forgot that.... God rest her soul.

I never forgot Strawberry Hill either.

What I did forget, is ( and it is stuck on my old computer ) is the recipe for
Flour and Oil for greasing Baking Pans. Was it One to One ratio??
I did remember it keeps for ever in refrigeration.
 pale 

Every time the Wizard of Oz is on TV, she calls me to say, Dad...."It's ON and I don't have to ask "What?" ......
A N D .... I will admit, I love to watch it every year.

She even got the DVD on "Blue Ray" format for me.
The film, is a masterpiece IMO.

NormM

NormM

Professional or Baker's Grease: equal parts of Crisco shortening, oil, and flour. (For a large amount, use 1 cup each)

Mix ingredients in a mixer with a beater attachment, until light and fluffy.
Use a pastry brush to apply the grease on the inside of your pan
No need to follow up with a flour sprinkling.
Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Professional or Baker's Grease: equal parts of Crisco shortening, oil, and flour. (For a large amount, use 1 cup each)

Mix ingredients in a mixer with a beater attachment, until light and fluffy.
Use a pastry brush to apply the grease on the inside of your pan
No need to follow up with a flour sprinkling.
Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Thanks Norm....I will save it to this computer, and print it and put it in our general favorites book.
Torn out magazine recipes, my moms recipe's on a napkin, and Tinas Moms.

I love looking at those cherished recipes.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:

Flank steak with roasted tomato on a bed of Polenta.

That meal looks so, SO good, Barb! I'd probably switch out the polenta for a nice cool/crisp salad because polenta just always tastes like 'fried mush' to me ~ and that's what I grew up eating for breakfast with pancake syrup poured on. I just can't get past that, no matter how many times I try.

But you're making me think I should definitely look for the London broil I have in the marinade in the freezer....I'm hungry for steak!

Barbara101

Barbara101

oh I know. My grand pushed mush on us too.Hated it.Now I like it lol.I bought 2 tubes of it on a whim. I did not want rice or mashed pot. in a box (lol)I have no real potato. Pasta ?? Saving that for today. So I made the polenta.
I have one tube left so I will fry it.

105` today. Not going out for anything. AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 3 387840482

Barbara101

Barbara101

I bought so many plum tomato on sale last week. So today I will stuff them with seasoned bread crumbs them use that in some noodle pasta.

Niagara Visitor

I've been away for a while. Had to go to Germany to settle the sale of my mother-in-law's house. It was a very long and drawn out nightmare with German beourocracy which had me pretty well tearing my hair out. German consulate in Toronto was absolutely ridiculous, so I flew over there and in 30 minutes it was settled.

However, I digress. Sister-in-law and I went out for dinner on Sunday to a gorgeous farmhouse turned fabulous restaurant. I had a beef goulash with Spaetzle, and the best mushrooms I have ever had. Fresh Chantarelles. I think those beauties were worth the cost of the trip alone! Yummy, Yummy, yummy. I think the season for them in Germany is right now.

bethk

bethk
Admin

How wonderful you were able to share a fabulous meal with your sister-in-law while there, Lore. You accomplished what you set out to do and had a traditional German meal ~ good for you!

Barbara101

Barbara101

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 3 Calabria4

My roasted stuffed plum tomato with toasted bread crumbs  are ready.

Barbara101

Barbara101

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 3 Calabria2

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ow Ow Ow.... I just bit my tongue pretending I ate some of those stuffed tomatoes.
Barb...You surely do have a way and a knack for cooking those super great looking pasta dinners...
I have to get DD to make some stuffed tomatoes for us.
She hates Tomatoes (except in sauce) but she can cook a great stuffed tomato.
She has a recipe from when she had cooking in school. I love them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum