Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner??

+5
Imelda HL
Barbara101
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 14]

326AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:32 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

well not to be a downer but I am not going to grill anything.My sweet neighbor gave me a huge basket of fresh green beans she got at the Farmers market yesterday.Makes me want Old time southern green beans with fat back or bacon.Corn bread & tomato.Oh she brought me some okra too.. AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 3267860543 AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 3593629538 Besides that it will be another 105`day..

327AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:03 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 10151292_297294783753872_2095705070_n

328AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:31 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:sounds like a wonderful celebration....and now the kids can go and do 'their thing' today since you all got together on Sunday.  

I don't mind fatty ribs ~ I think they taste better than the lean ones.  The kale salad is kind of a funny one to make....gotta shred the kale thin and then add some acid (like the vinegar or lemon juice) and massage and mix with your hands....I wear gloves to do it.  Then let it sit for a bit to allow the acid to break down the fiber in the kale.  Personally, I LIKE the flavor, but we all know everyone has different tastes and it's OK if you don't like it.  Just leaves more for the ones who do!

I'm gettin' stuff ready to go for our holiday cookout with friends.  I'm making creamed corn.  I'm also going to roast some of the shrimp for roasted shrimp cocktail (ala Ina).  I'm also taking along some bruchetta toasts I have in the freezer to add some roasted tomatoes & top with 'fresh' mozzarella ~ one you've all seen before.  If I remember, I'll stop at the store and get some fresh basil since the stuff I was growing dried up in the summer heat.  

Lyn's got a rack of ribs to bake / grill and is going to make some sliders since her husband isn't a fan of either the shrimp OR the ribs.  He'll eat all the burgers he can get his hands on, though.  Everyone should be happy at the end of the day. So, don't anyone work too hard today ~ take time to relax and have a good day.

Beth...these ribs were so fatty (and you need the fat to taste ) that there was no meat left to eat.
They were the run of the mill Ethiopian wild boar ribs I guess. A lot of grizzle too!

Thanks for the tip on the kale prep. I love it cooked, but not raw.

Have a good meal (s) today.

329AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:41 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:well not to be a downer but I am not going to grill anything.My sweet neighbor gave me a huge basket of fresh green beans she got at the Farmers market yesterday.Makes me want Old time southern green beans with fat back or bacon.Corn bread & tomato.Oh she brought me some okra too.. AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 3267860543 AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 3593629538 Besides that it will be another 105`day..

affraid 105º..???.... affraid ... OMG... It's sticky and supposed to hit 86 today, and we had to turn the A/C on.

At 105º, Barb, you could just add water to your beans, and they will cook just sitting there! LOL

330AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:44 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Can you adopt your neighbor? Sounds like a perfect kid.....she/he can do the shopping and you can do the cooking.

Southern beans sounds really good.

Maybe you could fry up a few of those okra for a real treat!

331AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:46 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

yeah it has been one fire cracker of a summer.Heat index sometimes is 110`. I feel like I miss so much of life ,just staying in the house. You would think it would be spotless. AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 2876911673 AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 2876911673 Think again...
Man oh man no one will be more excited to see end of Oct...

332AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:49 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just A Note!
I started the September what's for dinner thread! ....... Tooodles!

333AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:54 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:Can you adopt your neighbor?  Sounds like a perfect kid.....she/he can do the shopping and you can do the cooking.  

Southern beans sounds really good.

Maybe you could fry up a few of those okra for a real treat!

She. Is on disability now.She was a Nurse in the service.Some how she hurt her back.She has that sleep apthina (sp). That would scare the crap out of me.Anyway she can get around ,more then me lol. Between the heat & my bad back I do not go out much.
I & she like our privacy.I have lived here almost 11 yrs & she is the only neighbor I know.i told her she can use my trash can,so I guess she feels she owes me something lol.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I picked up some boneless/skinless chicken thighs last week ~ BOGO.  Bottom line, a decent price per pound even though I still need to trim a lot of fat off them.

I browned the cleaned meat and seasoned with some garlic/chili sauce and then braised in some homemade chicken stock with a bit of soy and oyster sauce until the meat was tender.  Then I wiped out the pan and stir fried the vegetables until tender crisp and reintroduced the chicken, thickened with a bit of cornstarch slurry in the pineapple juice and let it simmer for a few minutes.

Dane ended up having thirds....don't know if he was extra hungry or if it was as tasty as I thought it was.....lol

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 TeryakiChicken

Teryaki Chicken and Vegetables  (probably spelled that incorrectly....sorry)

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 083114

looks good Beth.. my kind of meal AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 14 3602300868

cookingirl

cookingirl

Barb, that's a really nice neighbor to have!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum