Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner??

+5
Imelda HL
Barbara101
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 14]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Thomas' English muffin; toasted and with butter and peach jam. Huh! Maybe two because they are so small nowaday !

I stopped buying them when I found english muffin bread in a loaf.Since I now have tons of peaches to deal with. I think I might make some peach butter..Peach jam calls for to much Stevia/truvia.That stuff is so $$$$$$$. I will not use splenda after I read how it affects you.

Barb! Tina took Uncle Gabe off of the splenda. He used it for his 3 cups of coffee every day. It made him run like heck to the bathroom all day. Especially while he was drinking the coffee. ( and he does not move fast. He is like the comedian Tim Conway when he plays an old man, and walks like one slow step at the time.
Tina put him on Sweet & Low, and no problems ever since.

We watch his #'s every morning when Tina takes it with the machine, and he is between 121 and 143 generally. Today he was 121, and he woke up at 11:00 today.
Dr. said any over 120, and give him a pill. He takes Glimepiride 2 mg.It's the generic for AMARYL.

My #'s run 109 - 113, and they say that is high. The nurse said,"Do you want medication for Dibedes?" I said,"NOoooo Thanks!" I'll watch my diet! Yeah! Right!... I do though. I changed my carbs intake. I use grain bread now also.
Hmmm! No excuse for the English Muffins though! Neutral

Barbara101

Barbara101

My #'s run 109 - 113, and they say that is high.

Who ever told you that is high is whacko..I get up with a high EVERY morning.If it is under 150 I am happy...This am it was 137..

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made a chicken & farfalle with a parmesan cream sauce and added some of my roasted tomatoes for a tasty switch. Mr. Amazing had a large second serving so I guess I am to assume it was pretty good.

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 082714

Barbara101

Barbara101

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 Salmoncorn2

grilled salmon with corn relish.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Absolutely beautiful, Barb! I don't even like salmon and I'd be tempted by that dinner plate.

Barbara101

Barbara101

lol thanks. I darn near burned it beyond eating.Walked away from the grill for couple minutes & bam it was a smoking..
No more grilling for while I guess.temps going back up to 100`.. AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 1562938848

NormM

NormM

I made gumbo for dinner tonight.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I am not a Sal- Mon eater Barb, but I would eat it all crisped up like that. It has to be dry for me to eat fresh salmon. Now, I love canned salmon, and Tina makes salmon patty's with it.
Only thing is, I love the salmon with the bones in it! Cannot find it anymore. Rats!

Beth... those farfalle are good with a lot of things. I don't know what it is; but they have a different texture and taste than other kinds of macaroni shapes. They are good with fried cabbage too!

I am having a taylor ham and cheese on a English Muffin. Tina cooked BBQ hot dogs, but I just passed off on them. They are good, and Gabe had some, but I was just not wanting that today.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked up some Boston butt 'chops' at the store today, added baked potatoes, green beans w/bacon & green onion and a tossed salad. Supper was served!

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 082814

Barbara101

Barbara101

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 Grilledmeatloaf

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:I picked up some Boston butt 'chops' at the store today, added baked potatoes, green beans w/bacon & green onion and a tossed salad.  Supper was served!

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 082814

I have a huge basket of fresh green beans now. And I bought 2 big packages of pork steaks .. AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 2876911673 lol!

I almost made your dinner. That looks great..

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Barbara and Beth, beautiful and delicious meals AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 3593629538

Since last week, we had Korean BBQ days.. I bought a pack of assorted pork ribs (6 slices), I marinated 4 of them  in Korean BBQ sauce.. my homemade, with pureed apple, I had no pear, so I used apple, rice wine ( I had no Mirin), soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, grated ginger, finely minced garlic, lots of minced shallots, Dirk grilled them on wood fire, they were excellent, I thin sliced the 2 pieces, I sauteed rice noodles half of them, and the rest I marinated with the remaining of my BBQ sauce, then sauteed them for our supper today.. I even added my rice to "clean" the wok I used for sauteing the meat.. they were excellent as well

4 pork ribs in Korean style BBQ sauce, for 2 servings

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 46-1

we ate it with lettuce, shallots, garlic and chili pepper

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 45-1

we had some garlic chive blossoms at our backyard.. I cut them and made Korean pancake, egg, flour and veggies

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 43-2

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 40-3

our supper today

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 37-2

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 36-3

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

We had enough pork for now.. tomorrow and the next days will be seafood day, I even made some shrimps and Sea Bass Ceviche for snacking with corn chips tonight cheers

Beth, read about your shrimps and just got a big bowl of homegrown limes from my neighbor made me want this
 Razz

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 35-1

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 34-3

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm glad Tina is not here to see that meatloaf Barb. That's her favorite, and especially with the glaze. I like the glaze myself.

Barb... That Pork steak looks great. (?) The green onions with the beans, Right?
Did you fry them also? I love the green onions fried and on burgers. Ummm!

OK... ( Drum Roll ).... Thank you Tina. Tina found the Johnsonville Spicy Hot Brats at Walmart.
She called me, and said, they have the regular, and the ones with cheddar and jalpen'os , But No Hot Links. Darn.... I said!!... But, then she walked 20 feet down the back isle, and B I N G O ...there they were, all alone by themselves by the MEAT Case! She picked up three packs for me, and a regular original for her. I separated them, and froze all but the two I had tonight...grilled outside nice and blackened and crispy. OMG.... On split top hot dog buns and mustard, they really hit the spot.
They were the right spicy hot too! Very Lean inside too. NOW I'm a happy camper.

Tina and Gabe had burgers that I made them on the grill.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:We had enough pork for now.. tomorrow and the next days will be seafood day, I even made some shrimps and Sea Bass Ceviche for snacking with corn chips tonight cheers

Beth, read about your shrimps and just got a big bowl of homegrown limes from my neighbor made me want this
 Razz

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 35-1

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 34-3

Holy Cow! Imelda...you cooked a feast !

Love the pancake Korean Style. Looks great, and all the other food too!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, sounds like we ALL had our cooking hats on tonight! Great looking meals, everyone!

And, Barb, just so you know....I almost made mashed potatoes tonight. Decided to wait and make them when I do some country fried steak next week. I'm not sayin' which night.....actually don't have a clue when I'll make that meal....just in case you decide to 'copy-cat' me! Hahahahahaha

And, yes, that meatloaf is wonderful. Dane & I both had cold meatloaf sandwiches from the leftovers when I made that last one. Funny how hungry you get for such a simple meal.

Jimmy, I still have not had the opportunity to find the Johnsonville hot links. I keep lookin' and have never run across them here. I'm thinking they would be really good crispy on the grill and then with the addition of my grandma's pickled onions. Sort of that spicy/sweet/sour all at once taste.

Imelda - you got me with my mouth waterin' for some Korean BBQ. I know I can get the short ribs at Sam's Club. The pancakes along with the grilled ribs sounds like a wonderful side dish.

292AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth... I went to the J-ville web site, and they had a list of stores that carried that specific product. There were only two in my area. Both walmart and one by us, and the other in Washington about 12 miles south west of us here.

I am so glad Tina found them in the meat section. The other J-ville were with the hot dogs and coldcuts . Go figure? Why they were separate>???? No Clue. And Tina had to question that too, and that was one of her jobs, sorting the products in the case.

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, here might be the answer....

My Johnsonville traditional/original brats are raw in casings and are found in the fresh meat case.

My Johnsonville smoked beef brats are a cooked sausage and are found in the area with the packaged luncheon meats and hot dogs.

Are the spicy hot links you just got a fresh product that must be cooked?

Thanks for the idea to go to the Johnsonville site to see if they distribute the hot links in my area. I'm gonna go check it out.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:OK, here might be the answer....

My Johnsonville traditional/original brats are raw in casings and are found in the fresh meat case.

My Johnsonville smoked beef brats are a cooked sausage and are found in the area with the packaged luncheon meats and hot dogs.

Are the spicy hot links you just got a fresh product that must be cooked?

Thanks for the idea to go to the Johnsonville site to see if they distribute the hot links in my area.  I'm gonna go check it out.

Tina just told me they were fresh uncooked, and that's why they are in the meat case. The thing is, we never bought them before. Now that they have them, that is the answer. Thanks Beth...

Tina remembered when she worked, a woman asked her,"What do you people eat for BBQ's out here?" Tina said,"Hot dogs and Hamburgers!"
The woman said,"What about Brats?" Tina said,"What's!"
She said "we out in the mid west eat brats!"

Now stores have them out here.

Barbara101

Barbara101

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 284104_131300713621189_7294345_n-1

Barbara101

Barbara101

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 10609553_488847021251788_3641636398891453026_n

Grilled the whole package. Whats next .... who knows.Maybe rice,maybe mashed, Fried apples for sure..

bethk

bethk
Admin

Holy Moley! That's a lot of pork steak....

You could slice some up to do a sweet & sour pork w/rice....probably even be able to simmer the cut pork in a bit of chicken stock to really soften it and then freeze before adding the vegetables, pineapple, etc. Just a thought.....

Your mashed potatoes had me more than ready for some. Gawd, but I've missed 'em ~ especially since I use to have them at least once a week (probably more like twice a week...Dane loves 'em!).

Chicken Fried Steak with Mashed Potatoes and Cream Gravy and Buttered Carrots. You can imagine the smile on my face......

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 12 082914

NormM

NormM

Long ago, back in the misty and distant past when Johnsonville first came out, their products were distinctly better than other brands in my area. It wasn't long before the company got absorbed into some bigger company and their products started tasting like everyone elses. A few years ago I discovered that Johnsonville smoked sausages were made in Junction City, a couple miles from where I was living. I also discovered that the same place made just about every other smoked sausage being sold. They just slapped a different label on the package, according to what the orders of the day were. Chances that if you see different brands of meat in the same package as other brands, they are the same product.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

They may make the sausage products at the same facility but I still like the texture and recipe used for the Johnsonville Brand.  I've not found another I like better.

I use to like Dinner Bell Brand casing hot dogs....but they went out of business.  No one picked up their recipes for amount of smoke nor the right texture.  Nathan's and Hebrew National come close to the right texture (for me) but the amount of salt is almost too much for me to handle...plus, there is no easily obtained casing frank with the 'snap' I love. Sabrette's has a casing frank but, again.....WAY too salty for my taste.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=16]I will say, those Hillshire are greasy, and do not come close to J-ville brand.

There was one Hillshire...Oh! Italian sausage links, that were so salty, OMG I like a little salt, but I could not eat it. And they had all meat fillers in it! Uh Uh ....no way Tina said. No More!

Now , the hot links J-ville , would not make two chews in Tina's mouth. That would be way too hot for her.

But I love them. I even had mine with Hot Mustard.

Then I went to sleep like a baby last night.....

And then, I was in the hills of West Virginia on the Appalachian Trail, and watching the deer sliding down the slopes, while I was climbing steep rocky cliffs. I had to get over a ravine by jumping the six foot span; to get on the other side. ...... Well...I found myself in severe pain on the floor alongside my bed. I whacked my head in the back, and landed on my left shoulder.
On the way during the leap, I hit my chest in the heart area, and the right breast.

I just sat there in a contortion position, and then rolled on my side. That was 4:30 AM..and I managed to get up, and sit at the computer. The alarm went off at 6:30, but I was up already.
DIL stopped over this afternoon, and said Spicy Hot Foods can cause motion type sleep walking dreams.

I'm all right now except for some black and blues. Now I laugh, and think it was sure a funny but real dream.
BTW... I have a safety bed rail on side the bed, and I bent the heck out of the darn thing using it as as a handle to flip over the ravine! O dear Lord!

I know why the scene took place in West Virginia. My Neighbor rented a RV and he; the wife, and two boys were going to a campground in Maryland. I told him be careful he doesn't wind up in the hills of West Virginia. The deer, came from watching Tina feed the herd that comes to her for food.

LOL ..... LOL ......LOL ...... I may have to have Tina strap me in nights. /size]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum