Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Summer is coming soon

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Summer is coming soon Empty Summer is coming soon Fri May 10, 2013 9:44 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

For me it is here. Beth too I would imagine.

It is time for me to get my cooling ideas in place.

Today I am going to Lowes & buying a de-humidifier..I have had enough of wet/damp house..

My guy is coming to make sure my air unit is good to go..

I close my plantation blinds all the way.I close the drapes ..

I will plan my cooking to the grill ,slow cooker.stove top..
Baking will come a end..Or at least give that a good thought.

I know the kids will want cobblers,pie.

anyone have things they do to keep cool.

2Summer is coming soon Empty Re: Summer is coming soon Fri May 10, 2013 9:52 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

My #1 tip is to cook outside.

When it's hot, the last thing I want to do is cook in the kitchen. I'll use my gas grill (it has a "side burner") to cook just about anything I want.

I did have a new outlet installed just outside my dining area patio door (adjacent to where I have placed my grill) so I can set up a table or have Dane build a "cooking station" and be able to plug in a crock pot, electric fry pan, griddle, paninni maker ~ heck, just about ANY small electric appliance. I'm hoping to (eventually) install an awning to keep the sun and rain at bay, but for right now a giant patio umbrella in a stand will be in charge of that duty.

3Summer is coming soon Empty Re: Summer is coming soon Fri May 10, 2013 10:01 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I'll use my gas grill

isn't it great to say that. without someone saying,''I use only charcoal.Gas is not grilling''.

you see the all out wars on Weber site lol.I mean it comes to blows.

I have both. I will use both.

4Summer is coming soon Empty Re: Summer is coming soon Fri May 10, 2013 10:18 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I will plead for tolerance and consideration when it comes to discussing issues such as charcoal vs: lump vs: gas vs: electric grills.

At one time my daughter lived in an apartment with a wooden balcony. The rules were: "NO charcoal grills. NO gas grills. ONLY electric grills allowed." If she had wanted to grill outside she would have had no choice but to choose one of those electric grills.

Barb, I am somewhat jealous that you have both charcoal/lump grill AND a gas grill. That sounds like a wonderful way to have a choice depending upon weather and what you feel like when grilling a meal. Personally, if I had an extra $1,000 I'd have one of those amazing Big Green Egg grills. We've all seen what can be produced on one of those amazing cookers. I even hesitate to refer to it as a "grill" because Ross is able to do so very much (and VERY well, I might add) on his backyard set-up.

So, to me, it makes no difference what you cook on - as long as you can tell us how wonderful your meal tastes!

************ Summer is coming soon 3921676023 **************

5Summer is coming soon Empty Re: Summer is coming soon Fri May 10, 2013 11:57 am

NormM

NormM

I have a Weber charcoal grill and a (rather expensive set-up) smoker. I also have a gas grill and don't think twice about using it for grilling quick things. I remember the first time i got one, I told my son who was in Seattle at the time. His response was "who are you and what have you done to my dad?" I got it in part for the side burner. I started using it for outside cooking in hot weather and it comes in handy for charring poblano peppers. My indoor electric stove can't do that.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

6Summer is coming soon Empty Re: Summer is coming soon Fri May 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I laughed about the arguments about grill choices. We're charcoal all the way (one Weber grill and two Weber smokers) but I've got no problem with gas. I'd love an outdoor kitchen that also had a gas grill but that'll become a reality only with Powerball!

Being in N.O. (we've already hit the 80s regularly), we rarely turn on the oven in summer as well. Occasionally, we make an exception if it's something that we really need the oven for. Usually, it's too freaking hot to even contemplate using the oven or yearning for any dish to make in it!

We use the Weber grill as an oven all summer using indirect heat (even for expensive cuts like a standing rib roast). Tastes great and Brian loves doing something, especially grilling or smoking. Plus, over the years of using the smoker, he's really become a master and getting to a particular temperature and maintaining it -- on the grill or in the smokers.

I just bought him some replacement grills for the two smokers, as the original ones were getting weak and rusty. You'd have thought I was J. Beardsfor Tipton the way he reacted (the younger members are probably saying "Who?").

7Summer is coming soon Empty Re: Summer is coming soon Fri May 10, 2013 5:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, Crybaby, I know exactly what you mean about buying lottery tickets in the hopes of having that "summer kitchen" built to specifications. My friend gives me her magazines to read when she's done with them and last week I got a look at the April, 2013 issue of Food Network Magazine. It has an article and pictures of Barbecue King Tim Love's amazing outdoor cooking "arena"! It's just beautiful.

But I've found, from living here in The Villages, that you don't have to be a multi-millionare to afford a gorgeous outdoor kitchen. Lyn's neighbor has a kitchen I'd be very, VERY happy with - and the man of the house is the one to be out there cooking much of the time. They have a large gas grill and great exhaust hood, refrigerator, drink/beer cooler, built-in ice maker, large sink area, easy to care for granite countertops, lots of storage AND what looks to be about a 60" flat screen TV on the wall closest to the patio doors and protected from the weather. Oh, and did I mention the lovely pool w/waterfalls and hot tub? Just little added extras for the heck of it.

But I'm going to be happy with my umbrella shaded gas grill (maybe add a charcoal grill once we are down here full time) and a table or work station next to my outdoor electrical outlet that I can plug my small appliances into.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum