Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon!

+2
bethk
Cookin Lore
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Empty February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:41 am

Cookin Lore

Thanks, as always, Beth.
Last night's dinner looks really anemic! Guess I should have turned the heat up a bit to make the potatoes crisp up and get a little brown. We do eat with our eyes too.

Trying to think of making something different for tomorrow's Tapas in my building. So many appetizers that I have looked at have items in their recipes which contain either mushrooms, spinach or seafood. there are three members of our group which are allergic to these particular items. Interestingly, they are all women. Last week I made lemon meringue tarts.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore ~ what about baby potatoes....steamed or boiled, smashed & crisped in a skillet. Serve at room temperature with a homemade tzatziki sauce.

Or celery stuffed with cream cheese & topped with olives.

Or bruschetta with a tomato based topping.

Just some ideas.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided to make the Mediterranean Chicken Salad ~ a meal that's never bothered HIS stomach. HE ate and (so far) hasn't had any complaints.....

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! 02_01_20

JanaAZ likes this post

Cookin Lore

Thanks. I decided to make a smaller version of the spicy Kaftas that I made this week. I made too much of the meat mixture, so I have some in the freezer. I will make a zatziki sauce to go on them. The fact that they are on a skewer makes a perfect hand held!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE said 'no' to supper suggestions.

So......

I called Lyn and asked if she wanted to go shopping. She's always up for that activity! Then, since Barb's daughter is in London for work (Barb's daughter, Cathy, lives with her mom) we decided she might be 'lonely' so we went to The Seafood Shack and had fried clam strips and Lyn had Lobster Mac and Cheese. Everyone was full (even I took some home) and we ended up stopping at Donut King to get dessert.....

I know ~ I'm terrible ~ but everything was good!

Cookin Lore

Why say that you're terrible. It sounds like you had a wonderful day. My Kaftas were very well received today. Fun evening.

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

Today was Steve’s birthday and he always gets a German chocolate cake to celebrate. This one came out flatter than usual but I knew it was going to be. Oh well. He still loved it

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Img_0110

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Even sideways he looks happy about his birthday cake!

(the thinner layers are just better to hold that delicious filling!)

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:Even sideways he looks happy about his birthday cake!

(the thinner layers are just better to hold that delicious filling!)
I don’t know why it came out sideways. I tried fixing it here but couldn’t. It came out correctly everywhere else. Weird.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE ate some things HE shouldn't have.......and is now paying the price.

So I finished up some leftovers and called it a day...

(( sigh ))

11February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Empty Re: February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:52 pm

Cookin Lore

No cooking for me today. I went to a 90th b-day lunch for DIL's dad today. At a very nice restaurant. Our choice of soup or salad, three different entrees, I had a chicken parm; then coffee/tea either chocolate cake or cheese cake. I had cheesecake. So much for my diet today!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE had his egg sandwich.....

I considered going out to pick something up because I don't even have any leftovers in the refrigerator. But I knew it was going to rain and that just sounded like something I really didn't want to venture out in. So, I improvised......

I made something I haven't had since I was a child. It was a 'desperation supper' Mom made when there wasn't much to be had.....I made myself a PB&B Sandwich ~ ~ Peanut butter toast with bacon. And you know what? It was pretty tasty. Of course when Mom made it we were each allowed ONE slice of bacon (I always tore mine up into small pieces and sprinkled it all over my peanut butter). But since it's now MY bacon....I had 3 slices. YUM!

I also saw the one ear of corn in the vegetable drawer when I was looking for something and decided to put that in the microwave (in the husk for 3 minutes, let sit for a couple minutes, shuck and enjoy).

And I'm pretty well satisfied.

Tomorrow evening is our Neighborhood Pot Luck at the recreation center. Our social club is supplying sloppy joes and hot dogs. Neighbor Mark is making the sloppy joes and I'll grill the hot dogs at home and then take them in a crock pot so they stay hot. All the neighbors seem to enjoy these indoor picnics so it looks like we'll continue them. Next month will be pizza.

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! 02_04_20

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! 02_04_21

Imelda HL likes this post

Cookin Lore

Sounds great both what you ate, and what's coming.

I thought about having a chili dinner here in the building in the future. In a couple of weeks we're having a TAPAS party. We'll see how that goes.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Leftovers of the kofta I made last week with some tzatziki on them; tomato cucumber and onion salad with feta; and the very interesting and delicious purple sweet potato. This sweet potato, at least that I think it is, is new in my grocery store. A deep purple, and creamy as if it had cream in it. I think the colour must come from beets! Very nice. I will definitely get them again.
So, now we have the regular one, orange inside. Another one white inside, and this purple one."

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! 02_04_22

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

WOW! THat was fast! I haven't even gotten up to clear my spot! lol

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made a pineapple upside down cake for tonight's pot luck. As usual, I used crushed pineapple instead of rings. It's not as pretty but it sure is easier to slice & serve!

I'll also be grilling the hot dogs that the Social Club purchased. I want to keep the mess outside so I'll grill them on the gas grill and then just hold them in a warm CrockPot until serving at the recreation center.

Oh, darn ~ I just remembered I wanted to chop some onions to have on hand for anyone who likes onions on their sloppy joes or hot dogs. Guess I better get to chopping!

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! 02_05_23

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, I just love when a 'Plan' comes together........

I've never had to grill hot dogs and then 'hold' them until serving a couple hours later. But, in my head, it made sense to be able to brown them on the gas grill and then hold them in a small CrockPot on a low setting.

And it works!

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! 02_05_24

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! 02_05_25

Cookin Lore

"Love it when a plan comes together".... Loved that show, don't remember what it was called, but I remember Mr T, distinctly!  And your plan is great too.  They will be so much tastier after having been done on the grill!

PS................... I remember the name of the show, The A TEAM!.  Loved it, and loved George Peppard and that Quote.  I asked film critic GOOGLE about him.  There's a picture of him with a cigar which he always seemed to have in his mouth.  Died of lung cancer.

bethk likes this post

19February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Empty Re: February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:16 pm

NormM

NormM

This was a quick and easy meal that I was going to make three days ago but Charlie was at a car show for the last three days and not here as supper time so I made it today.February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Img_1411

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

20February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Empty Re: February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:49 pm

JanaAZ

Made chicken cordon bleu. They aren’t as pretty as usual and darn, the plate is monotone, but it sure was good.

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Img_0112

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:Made chicken cordon bleu. They aren’t as pretty as usual and darn, the plate is monotone, but it sure was good.

The only time I made Chicken Cordon Bleu was when I decided to make it with mozzarella cheese instead of Swiss cheese. I thought it was good (since that's one of the few cheeses I eat). It wasn't a huge hit ~ probably because it was so mild and HE knew it was supposed to be Swiss cheese.

I was just looking at a recipe for Chicken Kiev and thought, gee ~ I haven't made that since we were first married and I saw it made on The Galloping Gourmet (with Graham Kerr). Such a BLAST FROM THE PAST!

He always used lots of butter in his recipes. Then his wife had some health problems (if I remember correctly) and he changed the entire format of his cooking program to making more heart healthy recipes. I always enjoyed watching.

Of course, I also watched The Frugal Gourmet (Jeff Smith) ~ but his show was dropped abruptly due to some unsavory personal reports. But I did learn a lot from watching his cooking shows ~ most notably making homemade beef stock and braised brisket. Somehow now neither are very 'frugal'..... LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I figured HE wouldn't be wanting me to cook 'real food' for supper since HE ate a large assortment of dishes at the pot luck last night. I mean, a sloppy joe and a hot dog and lots of other offerings.

So I decided to make myself a huge dinner salad ~ I even picked up some of my favored spring mix with arugula lettuces and some Black Forest Ham. Then I saw a 'salad toppings' package of fried won tons ~ love crunchy on my salads. Oh, and I steamed a couple eggs just to ramp up my protein count.

It ended up being HUGE and even though I didn't think I could (or should).....I ate the entire salad. And since there's more of the lettuces left I'm pretty sure I'll have a repeat for a couple lunches.

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! 02_06_17

Imelda HL likes this post

Cookin Lore

THat salad looks wonderful  That's what I had planned for tonight, but I was looking for stuff in my freezer, and lo and behold I found another package of Lake Erie PERCH!  So, that's what I made, and some oven roasted veggies Onion, red pepper, snap peas and mushroom.  Picture coming, Beth!

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! 02_06_10

(( JEALOUS !!!))

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE said HE'D eat supper tonight if it was chicken.....

And, low & behold, neighbor Jim gave me his 'wholesale' package of chicken legs (sealed 3/pack) he picked up at Sam's Club. Jim doesn't even like dark meat chicken.....I'm sure he thought it was a good price for chicken breasts. Personally, I think Jim needs glasses ~ AND to not buy large quantities of anything at Sam's Club! LOL

So, I've got 6 chicken legs thawing in a Peruvian marinade. Years ago HE had a Peruvian Chicken dish at TGIFriday's Restaurant. I think it was the winning recipe from some cooking show contest and the 'prize' was to have the recipe featured at the restaurant. Well, HE loved it and has talked about it for the last 30 years or so.....no, I don't remember WHEN HE had it, but it was a very long time ago.

So, I looked on line and on youtube and found any number of recipes for Peruvian Chicken. Most had similar ingredients so I just mixed up a marinade with lemon juice, olive oil, sweet paprika, smoked paprika, cumin, s&p and just a little sugar to balance the juice.

I'm going to let the chicken marinate from now until supper ~ then I'll roast it on a rack. I sure hope it comes out good. But, if not, I'll just tell HIM it's because HIS 'taster' is off......Hahahahaha!

We'll also have the first picking of green beans that have finally started to produce. The cool weather we've had has not been good for growing much of anything. Even my snow peas are coming on really slowly and they usually like the cool weather.

I have 4 baby potatoes that need to be cooked so I'll do them in a casserole with a cut up onion and let it cook in the oven along side the chicken.

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! 02_07_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, friends, it's time to get our prayers out and in order! Now is the time to keep our good friend, Jimmy, in the spotlight with God......

I knew Jimmy hadn't been checking in for a while so I sent a note to Ms. Tina. Here is her reply to me (and, yes, I did ask permission to share here):

Tina said, "Beth, thank you for your prayers. Jim is in the hospital. Potassium level was very low, infection in his legs, infection in his bowels. He was dizzy, almost passed out. I called the ambulance. They took him February 1. He can’t stand, he is very weak and dizzy. Going to go to rehab for a week or two - they’re going to try to get him strong plus he really wasn’t eating. I’ve been forcing him at home. Heart doctor came in. They’re going to do an echocardiogram. Take care. I’ll let you know what’s going on."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum