Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools?

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

76April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Big burger or mini meatloaf with cheese; roasted potatoes; yellow heirloom tomato salad with onion and parsley. Potatoes left over from Saturday’s party here in the building."

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 04_23_16

bethk and cookingirl like this post

77April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

DD#1 gave me the inspiration to make Chicken Enchiladas for supper tonight. It's wonderful to get a good idea for anyone!

I was putzing around this morning and our neighbor who came to pick a bunch of the Meyer Lemons that needed to be used brought us two pieces of Lemon Meringue Pie. She had offered to make us a whole pie but I told her we just needed two pieces and she was sweet enough to share her pie with us tonight.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 04_23_17

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 04_23_18

cookingirl likes this post

78April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:21 pm

Cookin Lore

That looks great. I always though that a Lemon was a lemon, and that was it. And then, one day I found Meyer lemons in a local grocery store. I loved them, they were smaller than what we usually get, and I liked that. If I'm making dinner just for myself, I often don't use a whole lemon, and the other half ends up as compost. And, I also found the juice nicer.

79April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:That looks great.  I always though that a Lemon was a lemon, and that was it.  And then, one day I found Meyer lemons in a local grocery store.  I loved them, they were smaller than what we usually get, and I liked that.  If I'm making dinner just for myself, I often don't use a whole lemon, and the other half ends up as compost.  And, I also found the juice nicer.  

Yes, Lore, Meyer lemons are a hybrid ~ I understand it's a cross between a tangerine and a lemon, and, therefore, less tart than the typical Lisbon lemons usually found in grocery stores.

Actually, the Meyer lemons we had on our tree were huge compared to the grocery store lemons. It must be due to HIM being so good about fertilizing and watering our tree. But we only have one tree so it's easy to 'spoil' it with care!

The lemonade concentrate I made from my frozen Meyer lemon juice was so good. I won't hesitate to just squeeze away next winter when this year's crop is ready to be picked. So if you have leftover lemon just stick the juice in a little zip bag and into the freezer ~ it thaws in minutes and can be re-frozen if need be.

80April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Between company and just 'what ever' going on I haven't been too good about using what's in my refrigerator. But today I took stock and decided it's time for the bok choy, snow peas and shitake mushrooms to get used. I'm sure I'll have leftovers but especially the bok choy needs to be cooked.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to make but I have everything cleaned and ready to cook.

Wish me luck!

81April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:01 pm

Cookin Lore

My former neighbour on the farm has a lime tree in their old house in a room that the farmers used to call the summer kitchen. That lime tree stood in the same place there in the 40 years I lived there, and is still there. She gets the biggest limes I've ever seen. She says that she has no idea how it gets pollinated, and she doesn't care either!

bethk likes this post

82April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was OK

I had turned off the burners under the vegetables but let them sit as I finished the chicken & mushroom stir fry. The bok choy and the pea pod dishes got a tad overcooked ~ not horrible but softer than I intended.

But that's the way it goes.

I intentionally made a lot of sauce with the chicken stir fry to spoon over the bok choy along side. It worked out really well. HE likes a lot of sauce with any stir fry so that's the way I make it.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 04_24_24

83April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went to the store looking for inspiration.

Absolutely nothing looked interesting to me. But the chicken wings were on sale ~ although still ridiculously priced ~ so that's what I ended up with.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 04_25_19

84April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:20 pm

Cookin Lore

I did a morning shift (9-1) at my volunteering job. Ate only a small yoghurt and a coffee for breakfast, so was of course ravenous when I came home.. Had some sausage in the fridge, so I ate one of those. Then my son texted "Mom, the sun is shining, want to come and have a picnic table beer???" m Now, gotta tell you, my lovely DIL is not a sit outside unless the weather is at least 75 F' but I am. And they have a big property. So, there is a picnic table spot when it's nice, but you need a jacket. Then, if it's nice enough to sit in the garage, door open, that's for a garage beer....... Then if it's really nice, there is a garden shed that's got a part of the outside wall opened and hinged to become a roof, and a bar top on that, that's called the BARSH. (Shed/bar combo) THat's for tshirt and sandals weather. Danny had some pretzels, so I had one small beer and a bunch of pretzels.

So, of course, after a sausage, a beer, and a whole bunch of pretzels, I wasn't ambitious enough to cook any more. Had a pack of smoked salmon in the fridge, had that with some crackers and a tomato. Will send a picture of the dinner, and one of the backyard "barsh".

85April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote: Will send a picture of the dinner, and one of the backyard "barsh".

Lore ~ haven't seen anything yet.....

86April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed out one of my frozen marinated Provencal Flank Steaks ~ it's a lovely grilled steak with a recipe from the old 'Dream Dinners' cookbook. I've been making it for years as it's a great meal using flank steak or top round (fairly inexpensive for beef). I paired it with a small purple Japanese sweet potato (roasted in the toaster oven) and some frozen mixed vegetables. When it came time to decide on a vegetable I heard a whisper in my ear, I swear it was Lore, saying, "Eat the RAINBOW !!!"

LOL

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 04_26_15

87April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:48 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Well-- I know, still not cooking;  (sigh); But it is difficult to do when you live alone and have to spend so much money per month on the meal plan; Plus, I have been very busy!! Busier than ever.. new friends, involved in many things. I will not go on with my comments:but, needless to say, the "bus" was not suitable for seniors---many with arthritis, and couple with walkers. Bad planning.

The museum was awesome.. Such grandeur. The courtyard! Many rooms, on 3 floors with a library, a gift shop, and a cafe. During the late spring and summer, they have "high" tea in the outside courtyard.

Physically exhausted after the trip.. Still aching yesterday (Thursday).. so easy suppers, if any.. Today was just a huge roasted purple skinned white sweet potato. I was hoping the flesh would be purple. It was white, much to my surprise.

Hopefully, I am sending you pix of the inner courtyard, a Degas painting, A ceiling, a Botticelli painting and a tapestry.

There are an Italian room, a Dutch room, a Tapestry room, a chapel, and more.. It was amazing. I loved it..

bethk likes this post

88April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:51 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote: Will send a picture of the dinner, and one of the backyard "barsh".

Lore ~ haven't seen anything yet.....

Sorry, thought I sent some. Must have deleted my dinner pic, it wasn't worth much anyway. Just sent some pictures of my fishermen sons!

89April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:13 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

Backyard barsh in my son's place.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 04_26_16

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 04_26_17

Sons Michael (with the hat) and Danny.  From the size of the fish, probably bass, not perch. But, Lake Erie anyway!  Yumm!

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 04_26_18

90April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight!

Neighbor Jim called & asked us to go out.

91April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:06 pm

Cookin Lore

Lucky you!  No cooking for me either, I went out for lunch.  Had the best Branzina I've ever had.  I have made it myself, but what I had was definitely better than when I made it myself.  It was butterflied and deboned with a wonderful garlic/parsley/oil  dressing down the center where the center bone was.   I have never butterflied and de-boned a fish, will try to do that next time.  Branzinas are generally very reasonable at Costco.  Vegetables were also made just perfectly tender/crisp.  Enough to take home for a snack for supper.  Youmm!  Sending a picture.  Very nicely plated.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 04_27_10

92April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Lucky you!  No cooking for me either, I went out for lunch.  Had the best Branzina I've ever had.  I have made it myself, but what I had was definitely better than when I made it myself.  It was butterflied and deboned with a wonderful garlic/parsley/oil  dressing down the center where the center bone was.   I have never butterflied and de-boned a fish, will try to do that next time.  Branzinas are generally very reasonable at Costco.  Vegetables were also made just perfectly tender/crisp.  Enough to take home for a snack for supper.  Youmm!  Sending a picture.  Very nicely plated.

Lore ~ that looks delicious.

If you want to filet a branzino yourself, look up some videos on YouTube. Fabulous reference videos. I saw the chef on PBS demonstrate the butterfly filet recently. You can do it!

The parsley sauce on it sounds just like one I saw made on American Test Kitchen last week. It's a French sauce called persillade sauce. It didn't look difficult at all and just sounded like a lovely fresh sauce.

https://www.craftbeering.com/persillade-sauce-recipe-parsley/

93April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:52 am

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:Lucky you!  No cooking for me either, I went out for lunch.  Had the best Branzina I've ever had.  I have made it myself, but what I had was definitely better than when I made it myself.  It was butterflied and deboned with a wonderful garlic/parsley/oil  dressing down the center where the center bone was.   I have never butterflied and de-boned a fish, will try to do that next time.  Branzinas are generally very reasonable at Costco.  Vegetables were also made just perfectly tender/crisp.  Enough to take home for a snack for supper.  Youmm!  Sending a picture.  Very nicely plated.

Lore ~ that looks delicious.

If you want to filet a branzino yourself, look up some videos on YouTube.  Fabulous reference videos.  I saw the chef on PBS demonstrate the butterfly filet recently.  You can do it!

The parsley sauce on it sounds just like one I saw made on American Test Kitchen last week.  It's a French sauce called persillade sauce.  It didn't look difficult at all and just sounded like a lovely fresh sauce.

https://www.craftbeering.com/persillade-sauce-recipe-parsley/

Thanks, Beth. I figured that the sauce was easy to make. In German, parsley is called Petersillie. So many German food/cooking terms have French roots. I use a lot of parsley. One of my favourite things to make is tabouleh, haven't made that for a while, but I also have a chunk of cabbage left from my last coleslaw, think I'll make that today, as there's always a lot of parsley in it. That's why I wasn't particularly fond of the coleslaw at our beef on the bun dinner, no parsley in it. But, we can't just make what I like, right?

When I go out for a meal, I generally try to order something different. So, when I saw the branzino on the menu, I asked how they do it. The butterfly presentation was interesting to me, and it was well worth it. Bundles of parsley were $.99 at the grocery store yesterday, so I bought two. So, I'm going to make the persillade today, I'm sure it will keep well in the fridge for a few days. I have a huge textbook from the CIA, will check if the persillade is in it.. ...... Checked the book. Yes, it's in there, but as a combination of breadcrumbs, oil, garlic and parsley, used as a crust for meats or fish. No breadcrumbs on the fish yesterday. I love that book, called The Professional Chef. It has really good directions for all the basics of prep, in great categories. But, if I'm looking for a particular sacue, it quite often will give directions for a gallon of it!

bethk likes this post

94April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore ~ did you by any chance look around the website? I chose that website for the recipe because I thought since your son deals with craft beer you might find some fun stuff to make.....

95April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:08 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Lore ~ did you by any chance look around the website?  I chose that website for the recipe because I thought since your son deals with craft beer you might find some fun stuff to make.....

Yes, thanks. Looked at it briefly, will look again later today. I've been organizing, purging from my closet today. Wanted to take a drive to Niagara Falls to see the spring flowers, but it's raining. And, there's too many tourists there on Sunday anyway!

bethk likes this post

96April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:26 pm

NormM

NormM

I copied the parsley sauce.

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

97April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:00 pm

NormM

NormM

Some of Charlie's school friends were Puerto Rican and one mom in particular was a very good cook he says. Every once in a while he will ask me to make the Puerto Rican version of some food or another.  Today he asked for Chicken and Rice. April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Img_1535

Arroz con Pollo

Last edited by NormM on Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

98April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew the leftover steak was in the refrigerator ~ I had stored it in a little container with the juices poured over in anticipation of slicing it super thin and putting it on top of a nice cool salad. And that's exactly what happened.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 04_28_18

99April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:35 pm

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:Some of Charlie's school friends were Puerto Rican and one mom in particular was a very good cook he says. Every once in a while he will ask me to make the Puerto Rican version of some food or another.  Today he asked for Chicken and Rice. April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Img_1535

Arroz con Pollo

THat looks really good. I see olives, chick peas, I hope that's flat leaf parsley not cilantro, chicken and what else? I assume there's rice in there also.

100April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:46 pm

Cookin Lore

I had the last of what was my lentils a few days ago, and the half of branzino I brought home from my lunch yesterday, and I made a small tomato salad using half of an heirloom yellow tomato. No picture. I re-heated the fish in a non stick pan on top of the stove, nicer than micro waving.

I made a persillade, chopped the parsley by hand, then thought it wasn't chopped small enough, so I put it in my (forgot what it's called, but mostly used to make smoothies) and it became soupy. Flavour is great, but next time I will just take more time chopping.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum