Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools?

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:36 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy Spring to most of us ~ it's more like summer for me!

HE picked all the beans from our patio pots today.  This may be our last picking as it's getting to be too warm for the bean plants.

Tonight will be a meal that includes those beans and (hopefully) something beef ~ Hmmmmm, maybe some Sloppy Joe Sliders.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_01_14

2April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:33 pm

NormM

NormM

This was our Easter dinner. I didn't hear the timer go off for the cornbread so it over cooked by a few minutes but it tasted good... maybe even better than usual.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Img_1520

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:00 pm

JanaAZ

We had Easter dinner at a friends house yesterday. They had ham and Steve loves lamb so I bought a rack of lamb to make for him this week the things I do for this guy lol.

My contribution was a fresh fruit tart and I almost jumped for you when I saw them put the ham bone next to the tart pan for me to take home. What a bonus. So getting some navy beans now and soup will be done in a few hours

Here’s my absolute favorite fresh fruit tart

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Img_0312

bethk and cookingirl like this post

4April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't know what I wanted ~ except I wanted beef.....

I looked in the freezer and saw a package of ground chuck.....sloppy joes instantly came to mind.

So, that was supper. I cooked half the beans HE picked and used a little quarter of a cabbage for a bit of fresh slaw.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_01_15

cookingirl likes this post

5April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:54 pm

Cookin Lore

No cooking today. I had some bits and pieces of things in the fridge that needed to be eaten. Some sausage, some smoked candied salmon, I've munched on my favourite nuts, Brazil nuts, ate an apple, and that's about it.

Did spend a couple of hours looking at flights and all that stuff for a trip to Germany in August. I am going to see my aunt (my mom's little sister) who will turn 95 on August 8. But, we won't be there for her birthday. My two nieces, each daughter of my two late sisters are doing a road trip with me. Lily is a professor, and teaches some summer classes, so she can't leave until August 14, and Tracy's job also makes the last two weeks of August the best choice. I did not plan for another Germany trip because I didn't want to go by myself, but when I approached Lily and Tracy, they were absolutely excited. A road trip is such fun when you can stop in little villages etc. And speak the local language! I am still in contact also with some cousins

bethk likes this post

6April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew I was going to pick up a rotisserie chicken for our supper. As much as I'd love to have a 'perfectly roasted chicken' it's just so much cheaper to purchase one already cooked. I just have to break it down as soon as I get home and keep what's for supper in a casserole dish in the toaster oven (set at 200°) so it stays hot and I don't kill HIM with spoiled chicken.

When I went for the chicken I also picked up one ear of fresh sweet corn ~ it's corn season in Florida and it's really good right now. I used the ear of corn to mix with my leftover lima beans to make succotash as my vegetable side. I boiled about 1/2 c. of some mixed vegetable to use to mix with my leftover rice for a 'fried rice' starch side.

And that was supper.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_02_16

7April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:49 pm

Cookin Lore

That looks great.  I have some chicken thighs in the oven, along with a large purple sweet potato.  Will have asparagus too.

Dinner Tonight. Two pieces chicken thigh, asparagus, tomato with feta, and half of a very large purple sweet potato. I am stuffed. Only ate one of the chicken. Lunch tomorrow.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_02_10

bethk likes this post

8April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have two pots of stock simmering away on the stove. One is the ham bone and the other is the rotisserie chicken carcass/skin. Both will get strained of all the solids and then cooled and stashed in the refrigerators tonight.

Tomorrow I'll remove any visible fat from the top of the jellied goodness and transfer the stock into quart containers that I can freeze for later use.

Actually, I think the ham stock will be used tomorrow to make some bean soup ~ I've got a bag of the HamBeens brand 15-bean soup mix and partial bags of red beans and mayocoba beans that I'll soak overnight and then cook up....I also have a spare can of garbanzo beans that I will add to the soup in the last bit of cooking. That should make a bunch of bean soup to stash in the freezer for lunches and the occasional suppers when I just don't know what to make.

9April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE was the decider of supper again.

I really LIKE this game I play!

HE suggested ordering pizza ~ and I took that one tiny step further and figured I could MAKE pizza. I'm not sure how it'll turn out. It's been years since I went this route. But we haven't starved yet so I'm going with my plan.

My dough is resting. We'll see how I do on rolling it out to a nice thin crust pizza.

Even if it's awful it's better then the alternative of NOTHING !!!

LOL

10April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

And now I remember WHY I don't make pizza often........

We like a thin crust pizza. I just can't get it rolled as thin as it needs to be to suit us.

It had good taste.

But I'll do carry out next time......

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_03_18

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_03_19

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_03_20

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_03_21

11April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:20 pm

NormM

NormM

I just cooked a couple steaks on the grill and made some potato cakes. Charlie asked for his steak to be cut up like for skewers. He had his Japanese Steakhouse style with rice and Yum Yum sauce. He dipped his potato pancakes in soy sauce. He made the rice and put out some kim che.April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Img_1521
April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Img_1522

bethk likes this post

12April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:05 am

Cookin Lore

Pizza looks great to me, I like a thick crust. I went out with son and DIL to "their" brewpub. Had a wonderful flatbread. It sure was flat! I don't know how they get it soooooo thin. cheese, tomatoes, jalapenos, roasted garlic, peppers. I wasn't hungry, as I had leftover shrimp and mushroom stirfy for a late lunch. So, there's lots for lunch today. No picture!

bethk likes this post

13April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today is 'Bean Soup' day !

I soaked my bag of HamBeens brand 15-Bean mix last night and also added half a bag of mayocoba beans and 1/4 bag of red beans that were in the pantry.  So, this morning I looked at how many beans I had ~ it's amazing how they swell up when soaked overnight.  I drained them and rinsed them a couple times.  

I decided the amount of ham stock I had from boiling the Easter ham bone wouldn't be enough to cook all the beans so I decided to also use the chicken stock I had made from the leftover rotisserie chicken that I made yesterday as well.  

I chopped my vegetables:  a couple onions, 3 carrots and about 5 stalks of celery.  I sauteed the vegetables first to get them started, using some bacon fat to give them some flavor.  When they were soft but not browned, I removed them from the pot to add later so they would retain some of their integrity instead of being boiled to death with the beans for an hour and a half.  I figured I could add them when the beans were soft ~ the same time I add my ham, canned tomatoes & seasonings.  And my plan was perfect (IMO) ~ I just did a 'taste test' and the seasoning is spot on for me and the beans are soft and the vegetables are cooked completely but still recognizable.

It comes as no surprise to me that when I wanted to add the can of hand crushed San Marzano tomatoes, vegetables & ham that I had to transfer part of the pot of broth & beans to a second pot to finish the cooking.  

Who else has that happen on a regular basis when making something like soups or chili???

I can remember my dad making vegetable soup when it was late in the season and most of the vegetables had to be used before a hard freeze.  He would start with beef bones and a couple chuck roasts in a big dutch oven.  Then he would start adding this and that, canned tomatoes, more water, some of the vegetable....oh, wait!  There's no potatoes....gotta add those.

And before you knew it the canning kettle (the largest pot we owned) was on the big burner at the back of the stove and it was filled to the top.  

So maybe it's a genetic thing that I inherited from him......

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_04_21

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_04_22

I really don't have room in the freezer for 15 or 16 pint containers of bean soup (nor do I want that much ~ it'll get freezer burned before I get tired of eating it) so I came up with the best plan. I called neighbor Samantha (she doesn't cook, has multiple health issues and is the sweetest person in the neighborhood) and asked if she and her husband like bean soup. Yup! So I asked her to bring down a soup pot and I'd give her supper for tonight (truth be told, enough for tonight for two of them and probably a couple lunches, too). She was thrilled. She came in and I filled up her pot and asked if she had any cornbread mix (we all use Jiffy Mix) which she didn't, so I reached in the pantry and gifted that to her, too.

I filled a soup pot for the two of us tonight ~ maybe half full but will be enough, especially if I make a pan of cornbread, too.

Then I started to fill up pint containers. I have 8 pints on a sheet pan in the garage refrigerator to get cold before I label them and stash them in the freezer. Dane said he is going to help Patrick tomorrow so I figured there goes at least 4 pints. Patrick has also had a number of health/eye issues in the last year or so and I know he'll appreciate a few suppers in the freezer. So, that leaves me with just 4 pints to freeze ~ reasonable and not overwhelming. Win-Win for a bunch of us!

14April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a success! HE enjoyed every bit ~ except for the last bite of buttered cornbread that 'jumped' out of his fingers and on to the floor! LOL HE was NOT a happy camper at that moment.

Question: Does anyone else put a splash of cider vinegar in their bean soup just before eating it? It may just be something my family did. Also do that with split pea soup or lentil soup. Sometimes split pea soup gets a splash of Sherry (from the liquor cabinet) instead ~ just like at The Magic Pan Creperie back in the 1980's. Man, I loved that place at the mall. They had a bunch of crepe pans rotating and someone stood by the door making those lovely light crepes....nothing like it to be found today..... (( sigh ))

My Corny Cornbread was excellent. Ever since I started adding corn kernels to my box of Jiffy Mix I've never gone back to plain. Today I even made a special run to Publix to get ONE ear of sweet corn to add. I simply cut the top and bottom off the ear of corn, leaving the husks on. I cook it in the microwave for 3 minutes on high and then let it sit until it's cool enough to handle. By cooking it in the husks it stays moist and the 'milk' in the kernels sets and makes it super easy to cut the kernels off the cob (and scrape the milky bits off the cob with the back of your knife). I put the cut corn into a small bowl, add the box mix and then stir in the 1/3 c. milk mixed with one egg. I preheat my 8" cast iron skillet and have a round of parchment at the ready for when the pan is hot. I take my preheated skillet out of the preheated oven, place the parchment (cut to fit the bottom exactly) in the pan and add a few small pats of butter to melt. Then I spoon in the cornbread batter, smooth it a bit and into a 400° oven for 20 minutes. Comes out perfect every time!

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_04_23

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_04_24

15April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was going to Ocala to go shopping with Lyn today so I had to think of something this morning that I could easily fix for supper.

Same old ~ same old.

But it works for us.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_05_16

16April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was Ladies' Lunch ~ we ended up with 6 for a hibachi lunch. I found I could order my soba noodles instead of rice ~ and I was thrilled.

While I was out of the house, HE assembled a couple glider chairs for our patio. I've held out ordering them for as long as (cheap me) I could. But the patio rocking chairs I've been sitting in for the last 10 years have tripped me one too many times. Landing on the concrete patio is not my idea of a fun time.

I showed HIM a picture of the chairs I was going to order and asked, "Do you think you can put these together if I order them?" And, yes, HE would. So, within 5 days the box containing two glider chairs arrived at our door.

HE mentioned HE thought I ordered two chairs and I said, yes, I did. They were sold as a 'set'.

Well, they were packaged up in the same box and certainly didn't look like much.

The tools included to assemble the chairs were laughable (thank goodness HE has every hand tool know to mankind....) and the directions, although only in pictures, were not a great deal of help.

I looked on YouTube but couldn't find any helpful videos but he plugged away and finally was able to get the first one done. I'm sure, even though I was gone to lunch by that time, the second chair was much easier to put together.

And now I have my two new patio chairs ~ ~ chairs that have movement, just like my Grandma loved....I get it from her!

A pretty small carton for TWO chairs ????

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_06_15

Yup, TWO fit in this space...

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_06_16

Packaged up nice and neatly!

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_06_17

HOW MANY PIECES ???

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_06_18

Working away ~ no video because of the language used......LOL

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_06_19

My new patio glider chairs!

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_06_20

17April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:28 pm

Cookin Lore

Enjoy them! I miss my patio and chairs!

18April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:01 pm

NormM

NormM

We had a Cajun style dinner. It was shrimp with green bell peppers, onion, and celery with tomato and chicken broth over white rice.April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Img_1523

19April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:55 am

Cookin Lore

THAT Looks great. I do basically the same many times, never really thought of it as Cajun style. And, speaking/typing of cajun, one of my favourite cookbooks is from Paul Prudhomme. Called Seasoned America. But, my goodness, he challenges the spice cupboard.

bethk likes this post

20April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't know what to fix for supper. Nothing sounded good to me. But I needed to plan something so I thawed a chicken breast and hoped for the best.

I knew I had asparagus so that was something ~ and it goes with just about anything. I thought about a stir fry but decided it wasn't anything I wanted. I finally decided on chicken nuggets with boiled potatoes & the asparagus. I should have roasted the asparagus along side the panko breaded chicken nuggets but I didn't think of THAT until I was sitting at the table.....(( sigh ))

But, I do like the chicken when it's baked in the air fry oven ~ so nice and crispy without being even a bit greasy or oily.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_07_16

21April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:36 am

Cookin Lore

I tried something new (to me) Roasted two small pork hocks, but messed them up. I had the temp too high so instead of them cooking low and slow, the skin got hard. Tasty, but REALLY hard. I ate one, will re-heat the second one maybe tonight by adding sauerkraut to it and doing it maybe at about 275 with the lid on a casserole. Oh well, live and learn.

bethk likes this post

22April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I came across a zip bag with 3 'Prime' New York Strip Steaks.....they were tucked under some other stuff in the garage refrigerator/freezer.  I figure they have to have been in there a good 3 months or so ~ but, hey, tonight was a good night to thaw one and grill it over some hot hardwood charcoal.

I had the very last of the green beans ~ decided to do them with a small potato and the little bit of leftover Easter ham I had tossed in the freezer.  It was what was left of what I had sliced for HIM to have as a sandwich and when HE didn't eat it all I just wrapped it up and stashed it away ~ I know, a good way for it to be part of the 'lost forever' bits.  But, it got used so I feel good.

I also did some vegetable spaghetti ~ carrot, onion, zucchini & summer squash all sauteed together.

The steak wasn't as flavorful as I would have expected, but we managed to eat it all ~ it wasn't all THAT bad.  LOL  And HE had no complaints so I'll think it was fine with HIM.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_08_14

23April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:41 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie ordered pizza and I made blueberry buckleApril, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Img_1524

24April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew I had some pork shoulder steak.....just had to shuffle around to find it. I swear, what is stored in the freezers must go on an expedition during the night ~ it never seems to be where I left it!

But, I found it this morning and had to come up with a meal to go with it. I had a couple ears of corn (yes, it's corn & strawberry season in Florida) and HE likes to have it cut off the cob and turned into a spicy creamed corn. The only other vegetables I had were onions, carrots, celery & cabbage....Hmmmmm......I've never tried grilled cabbage before so tonight might as well be the first.

I didn't think the cabbage was cooking and getting tender on the gas grill ~ I used a grill pan to keep it from sticking and falling between the grates. So, I decided to add a few brushes of the same Asian marinade on the cabbage as I was using on the pork steaks. Personally, I thought it was tasty. But I like most greens no matter how they're cooked and I especially like what looks 'burned' but is, in fact, just very caramelized. HE doesn't share my 'burned' taste so even though he ate HIS I could tell it wasn't a favorite.

The pork was quite tasty ~ pulled off the bone and was sweet & spicy.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? 04_09_17

25April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie asked if I would make Korean rice cake soup. I had not made it before but the recipe seemed simple enough. Mine wasn't as pretty as the picture though.April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Img_1525

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum