Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools?

+2
NormM
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

101April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:21 pm

NormM

NormM

Lore, Here is the recipe

Arroz con Pollo,
Ingredients
For the chicken:
2 T. Olive oil, divided
1 1/2 boneless, skinless thigh
For the adobo seasoning:
1 tsp. cumin
3/4 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp red cayenne powder
1/2 onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp. salt
fresh ground black pepper

For the sofrito & rice:
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup finely diced green pepper
¼ cup finely diced white onion
¼ cup finely diced cilantro
Optional: 1 jalapeno, diced
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup tomato sauce
1 ¼ cups water
1 cup basmati white rice (don’t use brown, it will take too long to cook)**
⅔ cup frozen peas (or rinsed and drained pigeon peas)
OPTIONAL: ½ cup pitted green olives
Instructions
Add chicken to a large bowl. Add in 1 tablespoon olive oil and your adobo seasoning: cumin, paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, coriander, salt and pepper. Use clean hands to toss the chicken in the mixture. Cover and allow chicken to marinate for 30 minutes, or you can skip this completely and begin the cooking process!

Next add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large deep 10 inch skillet and place over medium high heat. (If you do not have a skillet a large pot will also work very well!) Once oil is hot, add in chicken and season with a little more salt and pepper. Cook until browned 4-5 minutes, then flip and and cook an additional 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan and transfer to a plate.
In the same skillet (it should be greased enough already for sauteing) you will make your sofrito by adding in garlic, jalapeno, diced green pepper, diced onion and cilantro. 
Saute for 2-3 minutes, then add in your spices (also known as homemade sazon spices): cumin, turmeric, coriander, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for 30 seconds. Then add in tomato sauce and water and stir well to combine. 
Bring to a simmer then fold in the rice, peas and olive (if using) making sure they're evenly distributed. Add browned chicken on top.

Reduce heat to low, cover the skillet immediately and cook for 20-25 minutes.
After 20-25 minutes, most of the liquid should be absorbed and rice should be cooked. Serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro and serve with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
To meal prep: This meal serves four. Place rice in a meal prep containers and top with 1 chicken thigh. Garnish with cilantro.

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

102April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:52 pm

Cookin Lore

Thanks.. You use a LOT of spices! It sounds great.

103April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:06 pm

NormM

NormM

Cookin Lore wrote:Thanks..  You use a LOT of spices!  It sounds great.  

This recipe uses individual spices instead of premixed spices that you can usually get at a store featuring Latino foods. If I bought the premixed seasonings, they'd only get used infrequently and take up space.

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

104April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm still working on cleaning things out of my freezers. Of course, when I got the chicken wings for the other night I have the second half of the package cleaned and in a bag taking up newly found space.....(( sigh ))

But the quart of Spanish Rice had been in there much too long. Fortunately not so long that it was freezer burned but I knew it needed to get out. I also had about half a package of the little tricolor peppers in the refrigerator. I had picked them up when Gloria & Nikki were her to stuff with cream cheese to have with other vegetables & dip. But I don't cook with peppers often.

So, put Spanish Rice and peppers together and what do you get?

STUFFED PEPPER CASSEROLE !!!

I washed & cleaned the peppers and put them in a small cereal bowl & covered them tightly with plastic wrap ~ microwaved them for about 5 minutes on 60% power and then just let them sit and steam themselves. Then I could stuff them with the Spanish Rice. I put the excess rice mixture in a casserole dish and just stuck the stuffed mini peppers down in.

The casserole got microwaved a bit to get it warmed through and then I put it into the toaster oven without a lid to dry out and crisp up a bit. By microwaving the peppers they were soft but not mushy and easy to eat.

And, according to HIM ~ it was pretty darn good.

Well, it was better than our other supper option ~

which was NOTHING ! LOL

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 5 04_29_20

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 5 04_29_21

cookingirl likes this post

105April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:45 pm

Cookin Lore

Cheese and crackers for me tonight. No ambition!

bethk and cookingirl like this post

106April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HIS sisters were supposed to visit today but, due to unforeseen circumstances, it didn't happen. Maybe this weekend.....

So, since I was planning to take them out to eat I had to come up with a meal plan on the fly ~ and ended up with hot dogs and macaroni salad.

Actually, not bad at all.....

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 5 04_30_16

107April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Tue May 07, 2024 5:27 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Today is 'Bean Soup' day !

I soaked my bag of HamBeens brand 15-Bean mix last night and also added half a bag of mayocoba beans and 1/4 bag of red beans that were in the pantry.  So, this morning I looked at how many beans I had ~ it's amazing how they swell up when soaked overnight.  I drained them and rinsed them a couple times.  

I decided the amount of ham stock I had from boiling the Easter ham bone wouldn't be enough to cook all the beans so I decided to also use the chicken stock I had made from the leftover rotisserie chicken that I made yesterday as well.  

I chopped my vegetables:  a couple onions, 3 carrots and about 5 stalks of celery.  I sauteed the vegetables first to get them started, using some bacon fat to give them some flavor.  When they were soft but not browned, I removed them from the pot to add later so they would retain some of their integrity instead of being boiled to death with the beans for an hour and a half.  I figured I could add them when the beans were soft ~ the same time I add my ham, canned tomatoes & seasonings.  And my plan was perfect (IMO) ~ I just did a 'taste test' and the seasoning is spot on for me and the beans are soft and the vegetables are cooked completely but still recognizable.

It comes as no surprise to me that when I wanted to add the can of hand crushed San Marzano tomatoes, vegetables & ham that I had to transfer part of the pot of broth & beans to a second pot to finish the cooking.  

Who else has that happen on a regular basis when making something like soups or chili???

I can remember my dad making vegetable soup when it was late in the season and most of the vegetables had to be used before a hard freeze.  He would start with beef bones and a couple chuck roasts in a big dutch oven.  Then he would start adding this and that, canned tomatoes, more water, some of the vegetable....oh, wait!  There's no potatoes....gotta add those.

And before you knew it the canning kettle (the largest pot we owned) was on the big burner at the back of the stove and it was filled to the top.  

So maybe it's a genetic thing that I inherited from him......

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 5 04_04_21

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 5 04_04_22

I really don't have room in the freezer for 15 or 16 pint containers of bean soup (nor do I want that much ~ it'll get freezer burned before I get tired of eating it) so I came up with the best plan.  I called neighbor Samantha (she doesn't cook, has multiple health issues and is the sweetest person in the neighborhood) and asked if she and her husband like bean soup.  Yup!  So I asked her to bring down a soup pot and I'd give her supper for tonight (truth be told, enough for tonight for two of them and probably a couple lunches, too).  She was thrilled.  She came in and I filled up her pot and asked if she had any cornbread mix (we all use Jiffy Mix) which she didn't, so I reached in the pantry and gifted that to her, too.  

I filled a soup pot for the two of us tonight ~ maybe half full but will be enough, especially if I make a pan of cornbread, too.

Then I started to fill up pint containers.  I have 8 pints on a sheet pan in the garage refrigerator to get cold before I label them and stash them in the freezer.  Dane said he is going to help Patrick tomorrow so I figured there goes at least 4 pints.  Patrick has also had a number of health/eye issues in the last year or so and I know he'll appreciate a few suppers in the freezer.  So, that leaves me with just 4 pints to freeze ~ reasonable and not overwhelming.  Win-Win for a bunch of us!

I'd like some pints of your soup Beth. I made soup at least twice a week for their light supper, mostly vegetable soups, whatever I had in my fridge or whatever I was going to recook ( just added broth or dropped some meat or more veggies ). eventually I ran out of idea ( or am tired ) of making soup, so I bought some bagels/sandwich bread, bunch of sliced cheese, dry salami or ham at Costco for their supper, D likes to eat sandwich late at night while watching Netflix

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum