Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September 2023; What's Cooking ?

+2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

51September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:As I said yesterday, tonight was a Steak Salad with the leftovers.

I'm not a fan of leftovers (hmmmmm, have I ever mentioned that???  LOL) but I will eat them if I morph it into something completely different.

Last night's steak into a salad, leftover chicken turned into creamed chicken & vegetables, and.....gee, I can't think of anything else right now.  That's because it doesn't happen often.  

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 09_12_16
Remember..... A good chef / cook, is one that can repurpose leftover food / items.

bethk likes this post

52September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sometimes I get so disgusted with myself....failing memory lapses drive me nuts!

I stopped at Walmart this afternoon when I was on an outing with Lyn ~ she needed a couple things and I said we might as well stop since we were just down the block from the store.

I mentioned to her I had picked up some red grapes yesterday specifically to add to some chicken salad. So, when we were at the store I picked up one of their rotisserie chickens so I wouldn't have to thaw & poach some chicken when I got home.

Jimmy ~ the rotisserie chickens I get at our local Walmart are cooked completely ~ so much that even YOU would eat them. I won't buy the one's at Sam's Club....they use chickens that are too large and they do NOT get cooked done (or over-done as we prefer).

Anyway, when I got home I let the chicken cool a bit on a plate and then started to pull off the meat. I use the breast meat for HIM to slice and make a sandwich with if HE wants and all the rest, especially the dark meat, gets chopped up for my chicken salad. The bones, skin, 'too dried out' bits, etc. gets stuck into a quart deli container until tomorrow when I'll simmer it all up for chicken stock to have in the freezer.

After my chicken was broken down I chopped some celery, minced some carrot, toasted some nuts and tossed it all together with the chicken. I mixed up my dressing and stirred everything together. I scooped it all into a deli container and thought to myself that it wasn't as much as I usually get from a rotisserie chicken.

Then, when I was putting things back into the refrigerator I noticed the little bag of red grapes ~ the ones I mentioned just a couple hours before that I was going to add to my chicken salad! So, the container of chicken salad I just stashed in the deli container got emptied in the washed mixing bowl and I cut up the grapes to mix in.

And when I re-filled the deli container it was filled to the top ~ as it usually is when I make it from a rotisserie chicken......

(( sigh ))

This getting old stuff is pretty irritating at times.........

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

53September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My chicken salad got turned into lettuce wraps....and it was just right for my supper tonight.

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 09_13_16

54September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Sometimes I get so disgusted with myself....failing memory lapses drive me nuts!

I stopped at Walmart this afternoon when I was on an outing with Lyn ~ she needed a couple things and I said we might as well stop since we were just down the block from the store.

I mentioned to her I had picked up some red grapes yesterday specifically to add to some chicken salad.  So, when we were at the store I picked up one of their rotisserie chickens so I wouldn't have to thaw & poach some chicken when I got home.  

Jimmy ~ the rotisserie chickens I get at our local Walmart are cooked completely ~ so much that even YOU would eat them.  I won't buy the one's at Sam's Club....they use chickens that are too large and they do NOT get cooked done (or over-done as we prefer).

Anyway, when I got home I let the chicken cool a bit on a plate and then started to pull off the meat.  I use the breast meat for HIM to slice and make a sandwich with if HE wants and all the rest, especially the dark meat, gets chopped up for my chicken salad.  The bones, skin, 'too dried out' bits, etc. gets stuck into a quart deli container until tomorrow when I'll simmer it all up for chicken stock to have in the freezer.

After my chicken was broken down I chopped some celery, minced some carrot, toasted some nuts and tossed it all together with the chicken.  I mixed up my dressing and stirred everything together.  I scooped it all into a deli container and thought to myself that it wasn't as much as I usually get from a rotisserie chicken.

Then, when I was putting things back into the refrigerator I noticed the little bag of red grapes ~ the ones I mentioned just a couple hours before that I was going to add to my chicken salad!  So, the container of chicken salad I just stashed in the deli container got emptied in the washed mixing bowl and I cut up the grapes to mix in.

And when I re-filled the deli container it was filled to the top ~ as it usually is when I make it from a rotisserie chicken......

((   sigh   ))

This getting old stuff is pretty irritating at times.........

With me, it got to the point where I have to write notes to myself to get things done, or do what I'm thinking of at the moment.
As far as the chicken being done, I can tell, if I cannot pull the breast off
the chicken, then it's not done to my liking. I don't want to see purple at the bone joints either.

bethk likes this post

55September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew I had a 'full day' planned helping Lyn.

So my supper was the chicken salad (again) ~ tonight with Club Crisps (crackers that taste like Club Crackers.....)

So, look at last night's pic and pretend it's crackers instead of lettuce.....

Hahahahahaha!

56September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:25 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Last night and leftover (or planned over) for tonight. One of my go to dishes I love and always have all the fixings on hand. Basically stir fry of mushrooms, onion, red pepper with shrimp, scallops and calamari rings on papparadelli noodles finished with cream."

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 09_14_15

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 09_14_16

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 09_14_17

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

57September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

If I'm cooking for myself I get to make what I'm hungry for......

Buffalo Chicken Dip w/Fritos and Dill Dip w/Carrots.

LOL

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 09_15_16

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 09_15_17

58September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Leftover pork boneless spareribs with plum sauce. Leftover fried eggplant, and now lookingh for dessert. Jello sounds good.

bethk likes this post

59September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE was off to pick up some friends from the airport so I took advantage of the situation and met neighbors at a local pizza place for supper. It wasn't bad at all.....and it was a nice evening.

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 09_16_16

60September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was leftover corned beef and cabbage. I had one of those Walmart little 50 cent blueberry pies. They are so good, and just the right size.....

bethk likes this post

61September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to come up with an idea for my supper.  I looked in the refrigerator and laid my eyes on the bok choy I picked up the other day.  Ah HA!  A stir fry is just what I'm now hungry for.

I pulled out one of the little chicken cutlets ~ just the right size for one and super quick to thaw.

I've cut up my vegetables:  bok choy stems, leaves julienned, carrot, celery, cabbage & onion.

I mixed up some sauce:  oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, microplaned ginger, sugar & sambal oleck.  I'll add a bit of my homemade chicken stock to thin it out enough for a light sauce.

Now all I'll have to do is cook 1/2 c. of rice and stir fry everything in about 10 minutes.

And, as usual, the idea of what to fix was the most difficult part.

Last edited by bethk on Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

62September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It will be spaghetti and meatballs. Sauce was made 3 days ago. Ezzy Peezy

bethk likes this post

63September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was very happy with the taste of my stir fry ~ bok choy is one of my favorites.

And I did pretty good on the size of the serving. I just have a small bit leftover that I'll probably have for a small lunch tomorrow or the next day.

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 09_17_14

64September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:24 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lake Erie Bass, sprouts, potato salad and fresh tartar sauce. And, 90year old uncle enjoying it. There were leftovers for him!"

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 09_17_15

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 09_17_16

65September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a spaghetti squash I bought last week.....it's difficult to tell if it's going to be ripe and bake up with nice spaghetti shreds or if it's too green and turns into an odd-colored mush....

Tonight's was pretty good ~ not as flavorful as I had hoped but still something we both could eat.

HE had his with a breakfast sausage patty. I had mine with chicken fingers & a sweet chili dipping sauce.

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 09_18_13

66September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had spaghetti with sauce I made from the tomato salad. All the juices, and garlic
and tomatoes, just thickened with a little tomato paste, and served with grated cheese over
#8 spaghetti. Tina had only sweets. She had a cup of tea, and that was it.
I may make her a minute steak sandwich on a mini soft roll later.

bethk likes this post

67September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I offered to pick up some old neighbors last Tuesday when they took a bus from Orlando Airport to The Villages after a few months at their home in the Chicago area. Then, on Saturday, I met them for pizza in the evening because Dane was busy.

Sunday morning I got a text from her that her symptoms of what she thought was a sinus problem caused from her daughter's dogs in the car on the ride to the airport in Chicago, had gotten worse overnight and she had just taken a Covid test......and it was positive.

It was nice she let me know so I didn't go about my usual 'all-around-town' trips. No sense in starting another huge outbreak.

So, since I was first exposed to her a week ago and then again 3 days ago, I decided to do the prudent thing and test myself this morning. I've had my usual allergic symptoms but they could also be Covid symptoms.

Fortunately, my test came out NEGATIVE!

I am relieved, but I'll re-test on Thursday, just to be safe. I can manage to stay around the house until then.

I was really hoping to get my Covid booster and know if I tested positive then I'd have to wait 6 weeks to get the shot. I also want to get my regular fall flu shot ~ I know I'll be in bed for a day or so with that but it's normal for me to have the reaction so I plan for it.

Oh, and Jimmy, remember how we've talked about vinegar for muscle cramps. For years I've tried to get Dane (who suffers regularly from leg cramps in the middle of the night) to drink a tablespoon of pickle juice to relieve the cramps. He kept poo-pooing my suggestion. Well, apparently he was tired of being awake most of the night with curled toes and painful legs and he started eating the pickles ~ which isn't as much vinegar as just slurping some down but it looks to me like he EATS a lot of pickles. He admitted to me this morning it's really reduced the pain he's in.

Surprise ~ Surprise ~ Surprise !

After 5 or 6 years he FINALLY gave my suggestion a try. And, yes, he's tried the quinine water (tonic water) but it doesn't seem to do as much as the vinegar.

68September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:19 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I offered to pick up some old neighbors last Tuesday when they took a bus from Orlando Airport to The Villages after a few months at their home in the Chicago area.  Then, on Saturday, I met them for pizza in the evening because Dane was busy.

Sunday morning I got a text from her that her symptoms of what she thought was a sinus problem caused from her daughter's dogs in the car on the ride to the airport in Chicago, had gotten worse overnight and she had just taken a Covid test......and it was positive.

It was nice she let me know so I didn't go about my usual 'all-around-town' trips.  No sense in starting another huge outbreak.

So, since I was first exposed to her a week ago and then again 3 days ago, I decided to do the prudent thing and test myself this morning.  I've had my usual allergic symptoms but they could also be Covid symptoms.  

Fortunately, my test came out NEGATIVE!

I am relieved, but I'll re-test on Thursday, just to be safe.  I can manage to stay around the house until then.

I was really hoping to get my Covid booster and know if I tested positive then I'd have to wait 6 weeks to get the shot.  I also want to get my regular fall flu shot ~ I know I'll be in bed for a day or so with that but it's normal for me to have the reaction so I plan for it.

Oh, and Jimmy, remember how we've talked about vinegar for muscle cramps.  For years I've tried to get Dane (who suffers regularly from leg cramps in the middle of the night) to drink a tablespoon of pickle juice to relieve the cramps.  He kept poo-pooing my suggestion.  Well, apparently he was tired of being awake most of the night with curled toes and painful legs and he started eating the pickles ~ which isn't as much vinegar as just slurping some down but it looks to me like he EATS a lot of pickles.  He admitted to me this morning it's really reduced the pain he's in.

Surprise ~ Surprise ~ Surprise !

After 5 or 6 years he FINALLY gave my suggestion a try.  And, yes, he's tried the quinine water (tonic water) but it doesn't seem to do as much as the vinegar.

Tina screams when she gets leg cramps, and one capfull in a little orange juice, stops the cramps in 2 minutes.
This has garlic juice in it also. If she is warm and perspires, she is guaranteed to get the leg cramps.

https://www.amazon.com/Caleb-Treeze-Organic-Farms-Cramps/dp/B002TC661O/ref=sr_1_3?crid=19Q5XYC0NYTWJ&keywords=old+amish+formula+for+leg+cramps&qid=1695139955&sprefix=amish+leg+%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-3

bethk likes this post

69September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I played 'I - Spy !' when I opened the freezer......

First thing that was in the way was the lonely King Crab Leg.....bummer, guess it's what's for supper! LOL

I let it thaw on the counter and then put it in a foil pack and on a sheet pan to heat in the toaster oven for 20 minutes. I cooked a sweet potato in the microwave and finished it in the toaster oven, too.

I did overcook my asparagus ~ had just one serving that I thought would take about 2 1/2 minutes in the microwave ~ but 1 1/2 minutes probably would have been fine. But I ate it anyway ~ it was soft but not terrible.

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 09_19_16

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 09_19_17

70September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:22 pm

Cookin Lore

We're having a pot ;luck dinner in the building this week. I'm trying to do something a little different. Had some fabulous red and yellow peppers from a local farmers' market. So, I made stuffed peppers today for myself and three to [put in the freezer. Then I thought about those small or mini peppers. Went to the store, and found some. So, I have made a batch. just as a trial. Some with meat, some vegetarian. They are in the oven now. Stay tuned for when they come out. Will send pictures then.

On a not so great note, my main tv has hit the dust. went shopping and spent a lot of money!... But, it's a really unusual TV. THere is a frame into which I store photographs. Any and all pictures that I have digitally can be stored and shown in a loop. We have all of my late daughter's images and many that I also have taken. If I don't want the pictures rotating, I just pick one and it looks like a piece of art on the wall.

71September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had fresh Cod Fillet with wine and butter sauce. Spanish yellow rice, and Brussels sprout's Corn on the cob aside the plate. It was so sweet. YUM .....

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Img_2418

bethk likes this post

72September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, I'm done cooking for today.......

I went to Fresh Market yesterday and got a couple pounds of their fresh ground chuck and a package of chicken breasts because they were both on sale (yup, the Tuesday specials).

So I sliced through the chicken breasts and turned them all into cutlets ~ can be used for the Mediterranean Salad, Oriental Chicken Salad or sandwiches.....all wrapped individually and in the freezer now.  When they're all frozen they'll get put into a zip bag and I'm good to go for a while.

I also froze one pound of the ground beef ~ for whatever I make in the future.  The other pound got made into Grandma Lipski's Sloppy Joes.  Just something to have in the refrigerator & freezer for whenever I decide to toast up a bun and have a quick lunch or supper. I just had a sloppy joe for my lunch and have 2 - 8 oz. containers for the freezer (2 sandwiches per container).

HE surprised me by telling me HE would like to have the Mediterranean Chicken Salad for supper tonight.  I don't know if it was HIM or the eggs talking......LOL

73September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Haven't had or made Meat Loaf in a long long time. Ummmm ..... ok BUT....I had to be careful to not let one piece of onion on DD's special NO ONION Personal meatloaf.
Pain in the @$$ for sure. I also had to re-mash the ground round to accommodate Tina's stomach issues. The best thing about home cooked meatloaf, is the next day slice meatloaf sandwiches with good German mustard. Hot meatloaf sandwiches is a leftover I will eat; with gravy, and on white pullman bread.

bethk likes this post

74September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Haven't had or made Meat Loaf in a long long time. Ummmm ..... ok BUT....I had to be careful to not let one piece of onion on DD's special NO ONION Personal meatloaf.
Pain in the @$$ for sure. I also had to re-mash the ground round to accommodate Tina's stomach issues. The best thing about home cooked meatloaf, is the next day slice meatloaf sandwiches with good German mustard. Hot meatloaf sandwiches is a leftover I will eat; with gravy, and on white pullman bread.

I understand it's a PITA to eliminate ingredients ~ ~ HOWEVER, since I don't eat most cheese I completely understand.

And as long as you know ahead of time and don't have to try and pick out what's already mixed in.....well, it's not terribly difficult.

So now you get 'The-DAD-of-the-year' award......

LOL

75September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It completely surprised me HE wanted to have salad for HIS supper.....

Could have been the eggs talking.......

But it was tasty. I made small servings so, hopefully, it won't be too much of a shock to his system.

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 3 09_20_17

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum