Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking?

+2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

76It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 10, 2021 6:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Holey Moley!  That's a LOT 'O FOOD !!!

I'll start by saying MY supper was no where close to $185......

Hahahahahahaha!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 05_10_13

The burgers got a little more well done than I intended ~ hard to judge with charcoal.  Apparently tonight it was extra HOT, although there really wasn't that much.  Add to that the fact that I didn't bother to take my Thermapen outside ~ but everything was still tasty.

I added some of the 'spicy' sprouts to my macaroni salad.....pretty tasty and added a nice texture.  The deviled eggs were EXCELLENT ~ so easy to make but forgotten so much of the time.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

77It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 11, 2021 1:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had one of those 'throw-back' pictures come up on my phone yesterday.  It was from a year ago of a pie I had baked.  I didn't look closely and thought May was really early for a peach pie, as I only make it when the fresh peaches are ripe.

I looked again and realized it was a rhubarb custard pie.....I had gone on a 'road trip' somewhere and stopped at a local roadside farmers' market and they had (shipped in) rhubarb ~ which I grabbed up all they had.  It was pricey, to be sure, but when you haven't had something in years you don't really care all that much about the 'price-per-pound'.

So, a year ago I made a pie and I took the rest of the rhubarb and chopped it and stashed it in a bag in the freezer.

Today was the perfect day to pull it out to make a pie ~ because once I saw that picture, I knew I WANTED PIE !!!!

(to be continued when it's out of the oven.............)

Boy, am I ever glad I was smart enough to put my pie on a foil lined sheet pan! There's gonna be some 'sticky' on the bottom of the pie plate but I'll just sit it on a dinner plate so I don't have it all over the counter top.

It smells so good in here. It's 90° outside today, way too hot to even think of baking ~ ~ but I just turned the thermostat back and it'll be cool enough, especially since the oven is now off (even though the vent is still pulling the heat up and away).

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 05_11_12

78It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 11, 2021 4:30 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I haven't felt well enough to do much of anything. Doctor says I have to put on some weight or I can't get chemo. He doesn't understand that putting on weight isn't as easy as it sounds when you have gut issues. So, my future doesn't look good,
I have been trying to find some chocolate sauce for ice cream. For some reason Hersheys's doesn't taste the same. It tastes like chemicals. Tried Ghirardelli, Torani, and homemade and they all went in the trash. I don't know where to look next.

79It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 11, 2021 5:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I haven't felt well enough to do much of anything. Doctor says I have to put on some weight or I can't get chemo. He doesn't understand that putting on weight isn't as easy as it sounds when you have gut issues. So, my future doesn't look good,
I have been trying to find some chocolate sauce for ice cream. For some reason Hersheys's doesn't taste the same. It tastes like chemicals. Tried Ghirardelli, Torani, and homemade and they all went in the trash. I don't know where to look next.

Anytime I had a surgery it was a long time until my taste returned to normal. I think it's just a waiting game. But maybe try something else that sounds good to you ~ maybe a peach cobbler (order it from a restaurant) or other fruit dessert. Something you always enjoyed that didn't bother you.

I wish there was some way I could ship you about 50 pounds off MY body. Then we could BOTH be happy!

80It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 11, 2021 6:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I haven't felt well enough to do much of anything. Doctor says I have to put on some weight or I can't get chemo. He doesn't understand that putting on weight isn't as easy as it sounds when you have gut issues. So, my future doesn't look good,

Debbie, try Bosco chocolate syrup, if it's in your area ??

81It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 11, 2021 7:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane said supper was "OK"......

LOL

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 05_11_13

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 05_11_14

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

82It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 11, 2021 8:38 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Dane said supper was "OK"......

LOL

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 05_11_13

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 05_11_14

That supper looks a whole lot better than "OK" to me.  YUMM!

Sorry to read that you're not feeling well Debbie. .  Chemo is a bugger, but I'm here 21 years later!  Best of luck.  

I haven't been eating enough veggies lately so I just had a salad.  Iceberg lettuce, cucs, pepper, onion, olives, snap peas, feta and some fabulous octopus.  Found some pre-cooked, frozen sliced octopus tentacles that were perfect for a salad topper.  THey will become a staple in my kitchen.  tender and tasty.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 05_11_10

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

83It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 11, 2021 8:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had salmon and spinach. DD cooked.

bethk likes this post

84It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 11, 2021 9:26 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I wanted a way to use some of my spicy sprouted sprouts so I came up with a 'Blast-from-the-Past' sandwich:

Ham, sprouts & cream cheese roll-ups.  I use to make these for the girls with grated or julienned vegetables all the time.  They loved them.

After you roll them up you wrap in plastic so the flour tortilla gets softer from the moisture in the cheese & vegetables.

They'll be good for a couple days in the refrigerator.

After an hour in the refrigerator they were soft and ready for my lunch.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 05_09_14

Your roll looks good Beth, I like to make this too, but I have a problem with the tortillas, they break easily, so some times my rolls did not look good, I like to make salami/cheese rolls, D likes them very much

85It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 11, 2021 9:29 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Yesterday we celebrated DIL's B-day. Today, we celebrate Sons B-day. His favorite, is Breaded chicken cutlets from Cracker Barrel restaurant.
It's a chain place sort of like a Bob Evans.
Time Lapse )))))-   DIL picked up the 4 boxes of food from cracker barrel.
It is in our oven, packed in two ovens.
---------ready for this ? ? ? -------- $185.00 p l u s

Waw, that's a lot money for 4 meals at Cracker Barrel, we have it here, it's very popular and packed esp on big days, like Mother/Father's Day

86It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 11, 2021 9:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

Your roll looks good Beth, I like to make this too, but I have a problem with the tortillas, they break easily, so some times my rolls did not look good, I like to make salami/cheese rolls, D likes them very much

If you warm the flour tortillas, wrapped in a damp paper towel, in the microwave for about 20 seconds they're easier to roll up. It helps, too, if your cream cheese is at room temperature so you can slather it on quickly.

I made a lot of 'vegetarian' rolls when the girls were in school. they'd last for 2 or 3 days and, surprisingly, the vegetables stayed crunchy for that long.

87It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 11, 2021 9:41 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I did not cook on Mother's Day, D's youngest sister order Mexican food from her favorite Mexican grills, D's other sister visited from CA, she drove 10 hours straight to spend 4 nights here and drove back early this morning, I did not cook except for the pork loins on Saturday, yesterday I ordered some Vietnamese Food, today it's back to the 3 of us, we ate leftover soup and baked potato, tomorrow I'm going to cook some Chinese foods, Honey walnut shrimps, fried noodles and steamed broccoli and snow peas

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 18537710
It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 18543710

88It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 11, 2021 9:48 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:

If you warm the flour tortillas, wrapped in a damp paper towel, in the microwave for about 20 seconds they're easier to roll up.  It helps, too, if your cream cheese is at room temperature so you can slather it on quickly.

I made a lot of 'vegetarian' rolls when the girls were in school.  they'd last for 2 or 3 days and, surprisingly, the vegetables stayed crunchy for that long.

I did warm them, some times they still broke, D like to add lots of spinach and guacamole, green chili too, this morning I made salami/cheese/spinach roll for his sister to eat as her lunch, I like hot rolls with melted cheese

89It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 11, 2021 9:59 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:We had a lovely time meeting Lyn & Bill and another Toledo friend, Barb for an early supper.  The restaurant really wasn't crowded at all.  

I have my ideas on why it wasn't full.....

We three ladies all ordered the twin lobster tail 'special'.  It was shocking to me they sent opaque lobster tails out of the kitchen.  When I asked for a small plate to send mine back to be cooked more (minus the shells so they might have a better chance of hitting a good temperature) and Barb wanted to do the same so I said, "Just add them to mine ~ so we don't have to wait for two tries".

When returned to us Barb's were cooked through but one of mine must have been put under the broiler UNDER the other one.  It was only about half way white....but I wasn't going to try for a third go around.

We ordered desserts and our waitress brought out 2 of the 4 we ordered (Dane & I were sharing a peach cobbler).  After 10 minutes she returned with the final 2 desserts and said someone had taken HER dessert order to another table so they had to re-make ours.....

((sigh))

It wasn't the poor waitress' fault.  I felt so bad for her.  She was young, and new to the business, I think.  I prompted her to get Dane's filet temperature (medium rare) and then brought up how I'd like my salad (that was included with our meals).  She didn't seem that familiar with the 'Special Mother's Day' menu.  But once she took our orders she got everything correct, right down to my salad not getting any cheese.

Since the pandemic began and when we started going out for meals again I've tried to be very generous ~ overly generous ~ with the wait staff.  They take a lot of flack here with a bunch of grumpy old people who can be very demanding.  When we handed her the payment in the little 'book' I told her we were 'all set' ~ but when she returned with the credit card slips for Bill & Barb to sign she looked at me and asked, "You need change back......right?"  I had paid the check in cash with a sizable tip and just said, "No, thank you so much".

She got the biggest smile and mouthed THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I'm sure she thought the kitchen screw ups were going to mean a measly tip but that's not how I think it should be.  She's working her butt off and I could see she was trying.  She deserved as generous a tip as possible.  

I remember one other time Lyn & I went to lunch and had the nicest waitress.  She didn't miss a beat.  When we paid I again did a very generous tip....she tried to return it to me and said, It's too much!.  I just said, The government sends out stimulus money so I'm just stimulating YOUR economy!  Before we left she confided she didn't know how she was going to get home that evening because she needed gas and a gallon of milk for her kids and, thanks to Lyn & me, she would be just fine.....and thanked us again.

It just makes me feel good to be able to do a small part of making their day better.

That's nice of you Beth, I'd do the same, I know how they'd appreciate the tips they got.. I worked as a stylist for a long time before I moved here, we did not get paid a lot, and we depended on the tips, I had lots of good customers, I served them all the same, tips or no tips ( In my country at that time, 20 years ago, tip was not an usual practice yet), some times because I was the top stylist they did bit feel right to tip me, but they showered me with gifts on holiday or when they came home from oversea, they gave me foods, chocolate.. most of them gave me big tips, I really appreciated them.. I remember one of my good customers gave me $300 tip, that was 20 years ago, I almost fainted. Such a nice memory to remember.

bethk likes this post

90It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 11, 2021 10:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:

If you warm the flour tortillas, wrapped in a damp paper towel, in the microwave for about 20 seconds they're easier to roll up.  It helps, too, if your cream cheese is at room temperature so you can slather it on quickly.

I made a lot of 'vegetarian' rolls when the girls were in school.  they'd last for 2 or 3 days and, surprisingly, the vegetables stayed crunchy for that long.

I did warm them, some times they still broke, D like to add lots of spinach and guacamole, green chili too, this morning I made salami/cheese/spinach roll for his sister to eat as her lunch, I like hot rolls with melted cheese
I put a cooling wrap on top of a pot with boiling water, and steam them.
I do that with the hard taco shells too. Just for me. I like them a little softer.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

91It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 12, 2021 8:07 pm

Cookin Lore

Stuffed pork tenderloin tonight. A little overcooked but still good, Baby potatoes, and fresh local asparagus!

92It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 12, 2021 8:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I asked HIM three times to come up with a suggestion for supper.....

First time: "Mexican"

Me: "I don't have anything in the freezer to make it"

Second time: "Mexican"

Me: "Nope, just looked again ~ nothing........"

Third time: "Mexican"

Me: "Fine. If we leave early we shouldn't have any problem getting a table."

And that's what we did.

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

93It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 12, 2021 8:17 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:I asked HIM three times to come up with a suggestion for supper.....

First time:  "Mexican"

Me:  "I don't have anything in the freezer to make it"

Second time:  "Mexican"

Me:  "Nope, just looked again ~ nothing........"

Third time:  "Mexican"

Me:  "Fine. If we leave early we shouldn't have any problem getting a table."

And that's what we did.

I love that. I'm afraid that I got so used to making things in 39 years on a farm, that we very rarely went out. The closest restaurant was about 14 miles away, so lots of times it just wasn't worth getting in the car.

94It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 12, 2021 9:01 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I did not cook today, by noon we went to the library then stop at Fry's/Kroger's to get some grocery, I knew it'd be late by the time we got back home, so I searched my fridge with my mind to see what I had in there, and decided to eat my leftover pork loins with steamed broccoli, I bought a half dozen of biscuits and grabbed a box of potato salad from the deli department, nobody complained Cool. So my Walnut honey shrimps will have to wait until Friday. Tomorrow D and I are going to the car dealer 100 miles away to have our car serviced, it will take a whole day with more then 3 hours drive round trip and about 5 hours service time. I'll prepare lunch for my MiL before we leave, the fridge is so full, it will be hard for her to find stuffs in there. While our car is being serviced, we will walk around a big shopping center, I'm planning to browse Dillard's and Nordstorm and have our lunch at Dog Haus, unless D wants the burgers at Red Robin, we still prefer to take out than dine in

95It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 12, 2021 9:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

I love that.  I'm afraid that I got so used to making things in 39 years on a farm, that we very rarely went out.  The closest restaurant was about 14 miles away, so lots of times it just wasn't worth getting in the car.  

That's one of the advantages of where we live. When we first moved here my cousin wasn't familiar with the area. She asked me if we had A RESTAURANT......

I had to explain to her that, at last count, there were close to 50 or 60 restaurants that were 'golf cart accessible' and another 100 within a 20 mile radius. LOL

96It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 13, 2021 8:12 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

Dinner tonight ~ ~

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 05_12_11

bethk likes this post

97It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 13, 2021 10:09 am

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:From Lore:

Dinner tonight ~ ~

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 05_12_11

It was stuffed pork tenderloin, fresh local asparagus, roasted baby potatoes. Tenderloin was supposed to have spinach/cheese stuffing. I didn't have spinach, so I chopped some Brussels sprouts, fine, used them instead and it turned quite good.

98It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 13, 2021 2:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's a 'cool' 72° and overcast today so I decided it was probably my last chance to comfortably have an oven meal.

Scalloped potatoes & ham and corn cut off the cob on the menu.

Neighbor Jim got a text informing him of my menu and he'll be here right on time!

99It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 13, 2021 6:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbor Jim said I was batting '1,000' ~ ~ He keeps challenging me to make a meal he DOESN'T like.

LOL

It was tasty ~ Ham & Scalloped potatoes, although, because I put the ham on top of the potatoes they tend to get really thin. But they were baked for a long time and really tender and super flavorful.

I also had some of the rhubarb custard pie for dessert ~ he's had it here before but didn't remember. I didn't see him make a face when he was eating it and his plate was empty when he was done.....

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 05_13_13

100It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 13, 2021 6:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A can of smoked herring for me. A salad of greens, and crackers for a pusher.
Tina will have mashed potatoes for her sensitive stomach.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum