Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking?

+2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

51It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 07, 2021 7:41 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:My mung bean sprout experiment came to an end today ~ they were what's for supper!  LOL

I learned something:  You cannot have the growing sprouts in an area where they get light, even if it's just a little light.  I had them in small wide mouth mason jars and rinsed/drained them twice a day.  I leaned the jars in a container so the water didn't allow them to become water logged or soggy.  They grew really fast ~ but they ended up being very stringy and had started growing leaves by this morning ~ ~ not the big, fat, white sprouts I was expecting.  

But, hey, you live and learn.  I'm going to try again in a dark environment.  

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 05_07_17

The 'spicy' mix of sprouts that's in the other 2 jars are ready, I think, to be well rinsed/drained and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator to be added to sandwiches or salads or as a bit of fru-fru garnish on a supper dish.

Supper was really tasty even if the bean sprouts wilted a lot because of their skinny size.  But they were tasty with the beef & pea pods.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 05_07_18

Yup, we have to put them in a dark place, I used a plastic sieve, put the bean (wrapped in damp paper towel ) then put them all in my rice cooker, opened only to pour/rinse water. It's just for fun, I mostly just bought bean sprouts from the store

We also have a lot of snow peas from our garden

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 18243810

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

52It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 07, 2021 7:53 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I made some stuffed potatoes.. I slit my potatoes, covered with wet paper towel, then covered with microwave cover, and microwaved them 6 minutes, then I halved my potatoes, scooped the middle part, mixed with my cheese sauce... milk/cheese/frozen chopped kale/chopped salami , (we have a Harry and David salami we got since Christmas, it sat on the kitchen counter until today, I ground them with my FP), stuffed the mixture back, then baked them for 30 minutes, before serving them, I poured some cheese sauce that I separated before I mixed everything in, then topped with a bit of cheese, I broiled them for a few minutes, they were good, D ate 3, I ate 2, but after 1 hour, my tummy is screaming for more food, so we'll see what for snacking later.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 18275310
It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 18269310
It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 18281010

I made some guacamole the other day, and I like to eat it as my salad dressing

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 18305310

bethk likes this post

53It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 07, 2021 7:55 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Anybody knows how Debbie (Bugster) is doing? I think I did not see her posting for a while

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

54It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 07, 2021 8:27 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I'm planning to bake this in my oven, my questions are, should I sear it before baking it, should I cover while baking it, and for how long? Then I'm going to make some lemon shallots caper sauce to pour over it ( after I slice it before serving it  ). Thank you

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Pork10

55It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 07, 2021 8:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:I'm planning to bake this in my oven, my questions are, should I sear it before baking it, should I cover while baking it, and for how long? Then I'm going to make some lemon shallots caper sauce to pour over it ( after I slice it before serving it  ). Thank you

Imelda, when I make pork loin I season it and sear it in a cast iron skillet with just a little oil.  I get it brown on all sides.

Then I put the skillet & pork in a 350° oven, probably for 30 minutes.  NO COVER Check for a temperature of 135° and it's OK if it's a little pink on the inside when you cut it after letting it rest about 10 minutes after it comes out of the oven.  It should be VERY good with your sauce!

Last edited by bethk on Fri May 07, 2021 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

56It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 07, 2021 8:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:Anybody knows how Debbie (Bugster) is doing? I think I did not see her posting for a while

Imelda, if you click on "Memberlist" at the top of the page you can see Bugster's last log in....she was here this evening.

I have a feeling she's still feeling poorly. I hope she knows we're all still praying for a good recovery and that she starts feeling better soon.

57It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 07, 2021 8:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was the garden salad, two naked burgers that DD grilled last night. 8 shrimp in a garlic wine butter sauce. n
A slice of toasted Oregon Trail raisin bread.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

58It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 08, 2021 4:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took some shrimp out of the freezer bag ~ it's so nice to be able to take just the number of shrimps I want to cook as they were frozen before being bagged. This bag seems even larger than the ones I got a few months ago.

I got them cleaned ~ gotta take off the shells & de-vein. I don't leave the tails on ~ seems a waste of that last bit of meat and without any shell we can eat the whole thing. Since they were frozen and thawed I find it better to wrap them in a couple layers of paper towels to pull off the moisture before I drag them through some buttermilk and then a light dredge of corn flour. I haven't been able to find plain corn flour at the stores here but I did pick up some Louisiana fish coating that is mostly corn flour. It's a really nice light coating when you're going to fry in about 1" of hot oil.

I decided to make some zucchini oven fries to go with the fried shrimps. I cut the yellow & green zucchini into small planks, rolled them around in the same buttermilk/sambal oelek chili paste I'll use for the shrimps, and then a toss in some crushed panko & parmesan with a bit of Italian seasoning. I've got the zucchini laid out on a rack over a sheet pan ready to go into a 450° convection oven, in hopes they'll get nice and crispy.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 05_08_12

59It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 08, 2021 6:18 pm

Cookin Lore

Went for an impromptu visit to son's place. So, he said, "Mom, I still have some fish from last year in the freezer, so we'll have a fishfry tomorrow for lunch. Outside only, cause we're under a COVID lockdown. It's Mothers' Day, so it would be really nice if we could have some of MOM'S potato salad to go with the fish"! Daughter-in-law was horrified, because he's making me "WORK" Danny, of course knows me. I love making it. It's all about spending time together, right?

60It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 08, 2021 6:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Lore, Moms don't mind making favorites for their kids ~ makes no difference if it's your birthday or Mother's Day or Christmas......

besides, it's not that hard to make and it'll give you something to do to occupy your time!

61It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 08, 2021 6:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was really, REALLY good. I even got a compliment for the 'zucchini fries'! Woo Hoo!

The zucchini fries out of the oven:

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 05_08_13

Getting the shrimps ready to fry ~ moistened in about 1 Tbsp. of buttermilk with some garlic chili paste and then dredged in a corn flour 'breading' that cooks up to a really light, crispy coating.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 05_08_14

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 05_08_15

Everything ready for the table:

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 05_08_16

The shrimps were HUGE! For comparison, here is a cut shrimp next to a teaspoon:

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 05_08_17

Supper of fried shrimps with a couple condiments, zucchini oven fries & fresh, cut-off-the-cob corn:

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 05_08_18

I had cleaned 8 shrimps each ~ I have to put a note on the bag of frozen shrimps that 6 per person is more than enough! I couldn't eat more than 6.....I think Dane got down 7 and the rest got tossed.

But he wants the zucchini like that again.

Actually, I'm thinking of making a couple trays of 'zucchini chips', which I've made before. It's just thin sliced zucchini, patted dry after slicing, a bit of olive oil and placed on parchment lined sheet pans. Baked at 275° for 1-1/2 hour or so until brown & crispy. Really tasty. (good done with red beets, too....)

62It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 08, 2021 8:11 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Shrimps look good Beth, I like big shrimps, the  largest I got here is 16/21 per lbs, mostly frozen, deveined and head off

I cooked my Pork Loin, I season with a bit of salt and lemon/pepper seasoning, I have to cook it for about 1 hour, I had a big loin, about 4 lbs, I cooked it till 145'F, and it was still pink.. so good, juicy and tender, I left the top layer fat on. The sauce I made was so good, my SiL visits from CA and she loves it, her husband is a retired chef from high end restaurants there, so she knows good food, and she complimented the sauce I made.. I sauteed bunch of shallots olive oil, added minced garlic, capers, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, a bit sugar, pepper, water, cooked for 5 minutes with medium heat, then added bunch of honey mustard, the sauce is a bit thick because of the mustard, some chopped onion chives and basil added at the last minute. I would add some chili flakes but they don't eat chili at all. I served it with asparagus and homegrown snow peas and some mashed potatoes

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 18307410
It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 18334710
It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 18308210
It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 18289810

63It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 08, 2021 8:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Boy Oh Boy.... all that food looks so good.
On this end, we were supposed to have city chicken, but Tina and I didn't feel well.
I had tomato soup with crackers, and Tina had cabbage and potatoes.

By the way.... Happy mothers day to all the moms out there.

bethk likes this post

64It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 08, 2021 9:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, your pork loin roast looks fabulous! You always take the 'extra' time to make your dishes look so inviting. Such a labor of love that I'm sure Dirk and his mother appreciate.

Jimmy, I hope you and Ms. T start feeling better. It's no fun when you have an upset tum!

65It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 08, 2021 10:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

A friend of mine (a neighbor from Ohio) posted a picture of a gift box that was delivered to her for Mother's Day ~ or Friend's Day ~ or 'Thinking of You Day.....

anyway, I thought it was the coolest idea.  Check this out ~ it's just a small company in a little suburb of Toledo Ohio:

https://socialrindco.com/

click on 'info & pricing' to see pics of their product

I can see this sort of business taking off in many areas.

66It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 09, 2021 12:47 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Imelda, your pork loin roast looks fabulous!  You always take the 'extra' time to make your dishes look so inviting.  Such a labor of love that I'm sure Dirk and his mother appreciate.

Jimmy, I hope you and Ms. T start feeling better.  It's no fun when you have an upset tum!

Thank you Beth. Yeah, sometimes doing too much, whips the livin heck out of the body.
The weather has been really cool here. It's 44 here, and the heat is on in the bedrooms. When it's warmer, Tina really suffers. She likes it cool, and I like it a little warmer when I sleep. No

bethk likes this post

67It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 09, 2021 10:53 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy Mother's Day !

Lyn called last week and invited us to join them at one of the local country clubs for a late lunch / early supper today. Any holiday is NOT my favorite day to go out to a restaurant but she's had a tough way to go lately with her broken foot and I didn't want to disappoint her. I thought of just asking them over here but she wouldn't want me to 'go to the trouble' of cooking for all of us.

So, we'll be going out and no cooking here tonight.

I did get a delivery of flowers from DD#1. It's nice to have flowers in the house instead of just out in the courtyard.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 05_09_11

68It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 09, 2021 12:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I wanted a way to use some of my spicy sprouted sprouts so I came up with a 'Blast-from-the-Past' sandwich:

Ham, sprouts & cream cheese roll-ups.  I use to make these for the girls with grated or julienned vegetables all the time.  They loved them.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 05_09_12

After you roll them up you wrap in plastic so the flour tortilla gets softer from the moisture in the cheese & vegetables.

They'll be good for a couple days in the refrigerator.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 05_09_13

After an hour in the refrigerator they were soft and ready for my lunch.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 05_09_14

69It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 09, 2021 6:18 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Kids are all here. We are celebrating two birthdays, and 5 mothers day. We made City Chicken mashed potatoes, corn, gravy, asparagus.
Tina made Angel food cake, a regular white cake ith butter cream icing.
The grand finally, is Cannoli from Mikes Pastry shop, in Boston Mass.
We all love them, and it is fun filling the shell.

bethk likes this post

70It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 09, 2021 8:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Fish fry at fishing son’s house. Danny and Lisa at their table. This was the last of last fall’s Lake Erie fish. Perch and walleye. Forgot to take a picture when the dish was full! My children like to spray vinegar in n the fish, I don’t. The spray bottle has vinegar. They call it the VDS vinegar delivery system. I made tartar sauce. It should have been an outside get together, it was too cold. Danny and Lisa will be celebrating 31 years marriage on Tuesday. Where did the time go?"

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 05_09_15

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 05_09_16

71It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 09, 2021 8:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That looks delicious, Lore!

Just one thing......you didn't mention Deviled Eggs !!!

Best part of ANY holiday meal !

72It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 09, 2021 8:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had a lovely time meeting Lyn & Bill and another Toledo friend, Barb for an early supper.  The restaurant really wasn't crowded at all.  

I have my ideas on why it wasn't full.....

We three ladies all ordered the twin lobster tail 'special'.  It was shocking to me they sent opaque lobster tails out of the kitchen.  When I asked for a small plate to send mine back to be cooked more (minus the shells so they might have a better chance of hitting a good temperature) and Barb wanted to do the same so I said, "Just add them to mine ~ so we don't have to wait for two tries".

When returned to us Barb's were cooked through but one of mine must have been put under the broiler UNDER the other one.  It was only about half way white....but I wasn't going to try for a third go around.

We ordered desserts and our waitress brought out 2 of the 4 we ordered (Dane & I were sharing a peach cobbler).  After 10 minutes she returned with the final 2 desserts and said someone had taken HER dessert order to another table so they had to re-make ours.....

((sigh))

It wasn't the poor waitress' fault.  I felt so bad for her.  She was young, and new to the business, I think.  I prompted her to get Dane's filet temperature (medium rare) and then brought up how I'd like my salad (that was included with our meals).  She didn't seem that familiar with the 'Special Mother's Day' menu.  But once she took our orders she got everything correct, right down to my salad not getting any cheese.

Since the pandemic began and when we started going out for meals again I've tried to be very generous ~ overly generous ~ with the wait staff.  They take a lot of flack here with a bunch of grumpy old people who can be very demanding.  When we handed her the payment in the little 'book' I told her we were 'all set' ~ but when she returned with the credit card slips for Bill & Barb to sign she looked at me and asked, "You need change back......right?"  I had paid the check in cash with a sizable tip and just said, "No, thank you so much".

She got the biggest smile and mouthed THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I'm sure she thought the kitchen screw ups were going to mean a measly tip but that's not how I think it should be.  She's working her butt off and I could see she was trying.  She deserved as generous a tip as possible.  

I remember one other time Lyn & I went to lunch and had the nicest waitress.  She didn't miss a beat.  When we paid I again did a very generous tip....she tried to return it to me and said, It's too much!.  I just said, The government sends out stimulus money so I'm just stimulating YOUR economy!  Before we left she confided she didn't know how she was going to get home that evening because she needed gas and a gallon of milk for her kids and, thanks to Lyn & me, she would be just fine.....and thanked us again.

It just makes me feel good to be able to do a small part of making their day better.

73It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 09, 2021 9:51 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:That looks delicious, Lore!

Just one thing......you didn't mention Deviled Eggs !!!

Best part of ANY holiday meal !

Oh, I made devilled eggs also.

74It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 10, 2021 5:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore really got me going yesterday.....

First thing I did this morning was pull a couple burger patties out of the freezer and then got busy with hard cooking half a dozen eggs.

Supper tonight will be grilled burgers (cheeseburger for HIM), macaroni salad, doctored up Bush's baked beans and DEVILED EGGS!

It just seemed the right menu for today.

75It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 10, 2021 6:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Yesterday we celebrated DIL's B-day. Today, we celebrate Sons B-day. His favorite, is Breaded chicken cutlets from Cracker Barrel restaurant.
It's a chain place sort of like a Bob Evans.
Time Lapse )))))- DIL picked up the 4 boxes of food from cracker barrel.
It is in our oven, packed in two ovens.
---------ready for this ? ? ? -------- $185.00 p l u s

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum