Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking?

+2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

126It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 15, 2021 11:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was a weight watchers meal of pasta Alfredo, and a large garden salad. A piece of two ingredient pineapple cake.
Made with an Betty Crocker Angel food cake and a can of Dole crushed pineapple.A weight watchers recipe

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/two-ingredient-pineapple-angel-food-cake/334f7a77-4252-4302-9716-09c764975d95

bethk likes this post

127It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 16, 2021 4:21 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Imelda ~ how did you make your sweet and soy fried noodles?  It looks really good!

A lot of times I want something different and never know quite how to fix some of the Chinese dishes.  I probably have everything I would need ~ I even have Black Sweet Soy Sauce, a new favorite of mine!  I'm so glad the last time I went to the Oriental Market in Orlando I thought to get some of the Chinese wine to use in different dishes.  They have a different 'depth of flavor' that I just don't get when I use sherry or something else out of my liquor cabinet.

Sweet soy sauce is very popular in our country, I think it was our country specialty, I said was, because maybe now more Asian countries start using it. Indonesian people add sweet soy sauce in almost everything in their food, fried noodles, fried rice, baked fishes and more, I'm Chinese Indonesian, so our foods are mixed, we eat pure Chinese food and Indonesian food which uses a lot more spices like Indian Food, though not as much spices as in Indian Food.

I'm wondering what brand your sweet soy sauce is? Care to take picture of it?

As my noodles, my sauce is made from, sweet soy sauce, regular soy sauce, fried garlic oil (generously added ) and some palm sugar. Add some bean sprouts before you turn off the heat. In our family ( most families I know in my hometown), we always have fried garlic oil in our pantry, chopped bunch of garlic, deep fry in hot oil, then fry them on medium heat, fry them till golden brown, store in a jar, it can last months, we use it for soup, or stir fry veggies, steam fish/shrimps

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 59771610

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

128It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 16, 2021 4:30 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I got the kale double washed & cut earlier so it was just a quick bit until it was time to start making my Kale & Garbanzo Stew for supper.  

I decided to quarter some grape tomatoes since I had two packs (they were BOGO so it would be a shame not to take advantage....) and cut up an onion as a base for my stew.  I got the onions & tomatoes going and then added a couple tablespoons of the tomato paste in a tube (so convenient when you just want a bit) and a good tablespoon of the Harissa.  

Imelda ~ I think YOUR chili paste is just about the same amount of heat as in this Harissa!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_15_12

Dane likes the heat more than I do so I have to temper how much I add so I can also enjoy the dish.  When the onions & tomatoes had started to break down I added about 2 cups of the cooked garbanzos I simmered this morning.  They're really good, almost nutty ~ they remind me in flavor of a roasted chestnut, the kind you have at Christmas added to the stuffing.  Then I added about 1 1/2 cup of my ham hock stock and finally the washed & chopped kale.

It's really pretty ~ looks like Christmas in a pan!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_15_13

I know the kale will lose a lot of the color but it should be tasty.

I'm going to braise some pork steak to go with it ~ thinking of cutting it into more bite size pieces to be spooned over the stew.....probably will braise it with some onion, too.  We'll see ~ still thinking about that.

((.........to be continued......))

I need to try the Harissa sauce, never know about it. Your soup looks good, I'm thinking to make some soon, I have canned garbanzo beans, some pork hocks, I'll get some kale later. I'm going to fly to Houston to spend some times with my sister and her family, I'll be gone for 25 days, it might be a long time for D, but I need my vacation, as I can's fly back to Jakarta because of Covid, it's still very bad there. I'm a bit nervous to fly and be among in the crowd. I'll be leaving on the 26th, I need to start cooking some meal for them, so they can heat them up and have good lunches, I know D is willing to cook, but not for 25 days Razz

129It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 16, 2021 12:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It's Pea soup for supper...... In between that, who knows ?

bethk likes this post

130It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 16, 2021 2:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, here are some pictures of the Sweet Black Soy Sauce I use ~ the bottle, the front label and the back label:

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_16_12

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_16_13

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_16_14

And here's a pic of a second kind I bought but haven't opened yet ~ XO Sauce.....

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_16_15

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

131It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 16, 2021 6:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Quick supper of grouper (for me) and salmon (for HIM) ~ makes everyone happy!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_16_16

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_16_17

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

132It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 16, 2021 9:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Split Pea soup with crackers. Tina made it.
A slice of angel food cake, and a small ginger cookie.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

133It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 16, 2021 10:33 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Imelda, here are some pictures of the Sweet Black Soy Sauce I use ~ the bottle, the front label and the back label:

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_16_12

And here's a pic of a second kind I bought but haven't opened yet ~ XO Sauce.....

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_16_15

I have n ever tried this brand, I saw it was made in Thailand, I might try it next time to compare with my usual brand. XO soy sauce is new to me, I know XO chili sauce, it's good

134It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 17, 2021 6:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftovers tonight ~ gotta use up what's in the refrigerator because DD#1 is coming to visit on Thursday! Woo Hoo!

Yes, she was just here on Easter......for about 10 hours.......so she's flying in for 4 or 5 days.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_17_13

135It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 17, 2021 8:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It's Beans cooked in tomato sauce and onions, with olive oil.
A nice garden salad. A few croutons for crunch.
##################################
Beth, say hello to DD#1, and you and Dane enjoy her visit.

bethk likes this post

136It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 18, 2021 6:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn & I went out for lunch today ~ seems like it's been months since we've gone out 'just-because'.....Just because we wanted to, Just because we could, Just because it was a beautiful day.

First Bill was sick and she couldn't leave him for long. Then she broke her foot and it took her forever to get into an orthopedic doctor ~ only to be told the only thing she could do was wear a 'boot' and wait for it to heal in 6 or 8 weeks.

Geesh!

But, we went out and had a lovely time. She laughed because she said I'M the only one of her friends who says, "Yes!" when the waitress asks if we want a cocktail for lunch. LOL It was just a small glass of sangria ~ nothing really strong.

She ordered one of her favorites ~ Tuna Salad......a Grilled Tuna Nicoise Salad with grilled asparagus instead of green beans.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_18_11

I ended up with an appetizer: Fried Green Tomatoes. They were really tasty but the pic I took was blurry so you'll just have to take my word for it. (It could have been the sangria.....LOL)

So, since I went out for lunch I really wasn't in a mood for a big supper. I had the hot dogs out of the freezer and thawing in the refrigerator so Dane knew what I was making and he had a good sized lunch he made for himself.

I just wanted a hot dog and some chips ~ HE got some leftover potatoes fried up nice and crispy and some vegetables reheated. So he didn't starve.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_18_12

137It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 18, 2021 6:56 pm

Cookin Lore

THat sounds wonderful, going out for lunch.! Tomorrow is demolition day for my kitchen. I cleared out all the cupboards today. I surely don't need 6 large pans for doing things like lasagna! Thrift shops are closed here temporarily because of Covid. There will be a lot of stuff going to them when they open again. I'm having cheese and crackers. And wine.

138It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 18, 2021 10:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well ..... DD made burgers and shrimp on the grill.
I had a cheeseburger and 3 large shrimp. DD also made pumpkin pies. She had the batter in the freezer that she processed last fall.
We all love pumpkin pie, and DD does not make it too sweet. I will have mine for a snack, later just before bed time.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

139It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 19, 2021 6:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I spent most of the day getting the house ready for company tomorrow ~ not a lot needed but you always want the house cleaned up before your kids come for a visit. It just reminded me of the rule my girls had when they wanted to invite friends over for a sleep-over: The house has to be vacuumed and dusted if you plan to have friends in.

Sometimes you have to live by your own rules..... LOL

I had a couple chicken thighs thawed and really didn't want to have spatters all over the stove and counter top so I decided to cook them on the gas grill. It worked just fine and the excess fat that cooks off got caught on the non-stick foil tray I made to contain the run off. It was working so good that I decided to make sweet potato rounds to brown up on the non-stick foil as well. We both agreed it was a nice way to eat them for a change.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_19_12

140It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 19, 2021 8:06 pm

Cookin Lore

THat looks really yummy!  I used to fry sweet potato rounds quickly for B&B guests, add a bit of red pepper jelly on them.  They always looked so nice, and people were just not expecting them  

Had my kitchen cupboards taken out today.  So, no cooking for a while unless I can do it in my microwave.  But, I will try some restaurants for takeout.  I have set up my ensuite bathroom with some kitchen stuff. A large yellow cutting board has become part of my "prep"area.  My bathroom is quite large and there's a lot of counter space.  Tonight's dinner was a salad with tomato, cuc, onion, smoked trout and Feta.  I will be washing dishes in a bowl.  I will appreciate my kitchen so much more when it's done.  Sending a picture to Beth.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_19_10

141It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 19, 2021 8:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

So you have to 'rough' it for a bit ~ haven't we all done that at one time or another?

The stories I could tell ~ ~ the well going dry and having to schlept water in jugs from my parents' house, remodeling our entire downstairs and 'making do' with a laundry sink and a set of saw horses with a piece of plywood for a table, or having to do ALL the dishes for a family of 4 in a tiny bathroom sink.

When your kitchen is fixed you'll be glad you toughed it out. It's just another life adventure.

Hey, maybe you can camp out in Danny's shed!

142It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 19, 2021 9:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Finished the pea soup and green beans. Tina had mashed potatoes.

bethk likes this post

143It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 20, 2021 9:46 am

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:So you have to 'rough' it for a bit ~ haven't we all done that at one time or another?

The stories I could tell ~ ~ the well going dry and having to schlept water in jugs from my parents' house, remodeling our entire downstairs and 'making do' with a laundry sink and a set of saw horses with a piece of plywood for a table, or having to do ALL the dishes for a family of 4 in a tiny bathroom sink.

When your kitchen is fixed you'll be glad you toughed it out.  It's just another life adventure.

Hey, maybe you can camp out in Danny's shed!

Yes, I will appreciate my kitchen. It was a little sad to see it go.  I made a mistake in 2016 when I had the kitchen painted.  I had beautiful granite countertops installed.  Hoped now that they could be saved and re-used both because I really like them, and I was hoping that the cupboards could be donated.  Well, it's not as simple as it looks on the home renovation shows.  THe crew removing was able to save the top of the island, but the other part of the kitchen is now on its way to a landfill somewhere.  Granite is black with white veining, I have ordered new, white quartz for the other area.  Apparently having two different colours/textures  is en vogue.  

My setup in the bathroom is waaaayyy nicer than hanging out in Danny's shed. LOL We did a lot of camping when our children were young.  Sleeping in a teepee, thin foam mats on the ground, only a cooler, a small hibatchi and open fire. What I have now in comparison is like a five star hotel!  My fridge is functional, I have a toaster and a microwave, no complaints.  And, if that isn't enough, I have the key to my neighbours condo, as they are away to their summer place until October.  And, there's takeout available from dozens and dozens of restaurants.  I am "roughing it" in the best way!

PS. When we were in the B&B biz, we were on a cistern. Water had to be trucked into a 10,000 gallon tank under the garage. One long weekend (of course, that's when all disasters happen!) we ran out of water. 8 paying guests, and no water! In desperation, I called the water service at 10 Saturday night asking if they could possibly deliver in the morning. Fortunately we had bottled water for making coffee and people to brush their teeth! Delivery service called at 6:30 am. and said they would be there in an hour, please make sure driveway is accessible. I had to wake a couple of people to please move their cars (they did in pj's) Country living! Everybody had a good laugh over it, and a story to tell.

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Thu May 20, 2021 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info)

144It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 20, 2021 11:27 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

And I'M impressed that your cutting board is coordinated with your bathroom decor.......

LOL

145It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 20, 2021 1:21 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:And I'M impressed that your cutting board is coordinated with your bathroom decor.......

LOL

Gotta have style, right? Sending you a picture of the wall and cabinet on the other side.  With a great wall mural.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_20_10

Thanks, my ensuite is 10x6 ft.  One of my friend said "You could rent that out on AIR BB!"  It's the first time I have had an ensuite bathroom, so I really enjoy it.  Grew up with an outhouse for my first 12 years, but after I was married we always had two bathrooms.  Ensuite is real luxury!

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Thu May 20, 2021 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

146It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 20, 2021 8:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We drove to Orlando to pick Andrea up this noon. Dane stayed in the car in the 'waiting area' and I went into the baggage pick-up to locate her (actually, after the hour drive I needed to use the bathroom......LOL). To my surprise as I was chatting with her waiting for her bag a young man in a mask walked up behind her. It took me a second to recognize him. She brought Josh as a SURPRISE !

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_20_12

Thank goodness he likes fish ~ he had his choice, salmon or grouper, and chose salmon. So easy to grab another piece and thaw it in just a short time.

Cooked the fish in skillets on the gas grill to keep the smell out of the house. The grouper doesn't stink the house up but the salmon does with the 'oily' fish smell. Works fine for me ~ no spatters on the stove! The potatoes got started in the microwave and then finished on the grill and the asparagus got steamed for 3 minutes in the microwave.....easy peasey! Oh, and I made a small cauliflower/pea/bacon salad since Andrea was coming and it's one of our favorites.

Dane & Joshua had salmon.....

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_20_13

Andrea & I had grouper.....

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 05_20_14

147It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 20, 2021 9:25 pm

Cookin Lore

I am obviously very forgetful. Who is the handsome Josh????

148It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 20, 2021 10:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I am obviously very forgetful.  Who is the handsome Josh????

Joshua is our elder daughter's son. He's going to be a senior at Perdue University in Indiana next year.....majoring in engineering (of what, I'm not sure) and Japanese.

I've not understood any of what Josh studied since he was in grade school.....

But it's so wonderful to see him! The last time we saw him was just before the pandemic started in January when he and Andrea were at Disneyworld and we drove down to Downtown Disney to meet them for lunch.

149It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 20, 2021 10:37 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Purdue is an excellent university.

150It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 6 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 21, 2021 1:58 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Great that Josh came as a surprise Beth.

I had a salmon steak that DD cooked for me. Fresh spinach wilted and fried with garlic, and rice. Tina settled with a yogurt and Lipton soup.
I'm not a salmon fan, but she cooked it with a coconut and teriyaki seasoning.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum