Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.

+3
Imelda HL
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 10]

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW !!!

What a wonderful daughter-in-law you are, Imelda !!

Between the normal aging process, the recent loss of her husband and this horrible COVID with all it's restrictions, I'm sure your MIL is feeling very lonely ~ even with you and Dirk living there, she's surely missing her friends. How nice of you to give that 'gentle push' to get her back into the center of living again.

I'll bet everyone loved your feast!

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:I had a 'food-fog' day trying to think of what to cook.

Isn't that the hardest thing?  I should make a 'meal jar' and put slips of paper in with a main dish printed on each slip so all I have to do is reach in and have an idea.....

But, I ended up with the next best idea ~ ~ "Freezer First"  ~ ~ ~ when you open the freezer and the first thing you see is what you cook.

Hey, it works.

Tonight was grilled brats, boiled potatoes & steamed cabbage.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 10 04_29_14

I had a "meal basket" for inspiration some years ago. I'd be asking hubby what he would like for dinner, and he'd say that whatever I made would be perfect. So, I put about a dozen meals on bits of paper, and had him pick one out of the basket. Last night it was "freezer first" for me too. Piece of chicken breast. baked potato and an acorn squash. No picture.

That sausage looks sooo good also. I bought some sausages at the regular grocery store a while ago, didn't like them. So, it's time for a drive to my favourite butcher shop for their Octoberfest sausages today. I am sure that we grilled several tons of them on our firepit on the farm in almost 40 years there!

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

That salad! So colorful and tasty looking. Any chance on you posting the recipe? Katie and Joe just had a pizza at a restaurant the looked similar. Very colorful and absolutely yummy.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:That salad! So colorful and tasty looking. Any chance on you posting the recipe? Katie and Joe just had a pizza at a restaurant the looked similar. Very colorful and absolutely yummy.

Imelda cooks like many of us ~ here's her description of her salad, which does indeed look amazing!

"colorful salad ( Zucchini/carrot/corns/bell pepper/onion, with olive oil/vinegar/honey. salt and pepper dressing)"

She used a julienne slicer, like the OXO one, and made the dressing to taste 'just right'....

bethk

bethk
Admin

I drove to Homosassa to my favorite fish/seafood market this afternoon. I'm glad I don't have to worry about a food budget anymore ~ I try to be somewhat frugal but if I'm driving an hour to the shop then I want enough to put into the freezer to last for a few months.

I got 5 lb. of gigantic shrimps, 2 salmon filets (5.25 lb.) and 3 grouper filets (7.25 lb.) ~ and my bill came to a bit over $300. I portion the fish into about 4 oz. servings ~ I should have about 20 meals of fish and probably 5 meals of the shrimps. So, that's not all that bad when you break it down to meals. It's still pricey but there's absolutely no waste and it's really, REALLY good tasting.

I stopped at a farm market on the way home and got some fresh sweet corn that I'll cook another night ~ tonight I just reheated the leftovers from the night before last. I did cook up some baby yellow zucchini with a bit of onion. I also picked up a basket of green beans that looked as fresh and nice as the ones we grew.

I told Dane, "DON'T eat! I want a picture...." (Hahahahaha~ he just growls......)

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 10 04_30_12

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 10 04_30_13

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:I drove to Homosassa to my favorite fish/seafood market this afternoon.  I'm glad I don't have to worry about a food budget anymore ~ I try to be somewhat frugal but if I'm driving an hour to the shop then I want enough to put into the freezer to last for a few months.

I got 5 lb. of gigantic shrimps, 2 salmon filets (5.25 lb.) and 3 grouper filets (7.25 lb.) ~ and my bill came to a bit over $300.  I portion the fish into about 4 oz. servings ~ I should have about 20 meals of fish and probably 5 meals of the shrimps.  So, that's not all that bad when you break it down to meals.  It's still pricey but there's absolutely no waste and it's really, REALLY good tasting.

I stopped at a farm market on the way home and got some fresh sweet corn that I'll cook another night ~ tonight I just reheated the leftovers from the night before last.  I did cook up some baby yellow zucchini with a bit of onion.  I also picked up a basket of green beans that looked as fresh and nice as the ones we grew.

I told Dane, "DON'T eat!  I want a picture...."   (Hahahahaha~ he just growls......)

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 10 04_30_12

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 10 04_30_13

Reading the posts here brings back so many memories for me.. Memories of when we went to Florida with our three children. The trips were sooooo exotic. Homossassa Springs. Disney World when there were only two hotels in the complex. The kids singing "It's a Small World" All the way back to Canada. We were introduced to shrimp by accident. We met someone we happened to know from Canada whose parents had a place on Key Largo, and invited us to a shrimp boil. I looked at those worms coming out of the pot and thought I was going to throw up. Then I tried one! LOL

I was back in Florida in 2013, but it was not really a happy trip. Hubby was not well, and my biggest concern was looking after him. Maybe it's time to go and see the real Florida sometime.

But, I digress. This is a cooking thread, and I had a pizza made on a piece of naan. Sauce, mozarella, pepperoni, a spicy bruchetta mix, mushrooms and then more cheese!

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 10 04_30_10

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:That salad! So colorful and tasty looking. Any chance on you posting the recipe? Katie and Joe just had a pizza at a restaurant the looked similar. Very colorful and absolutely yummy.

I followed this recipe, but without Feta cheese and pepper flakes, I added some red bellpeppers and I used zigzag peeler to peel the zucchini and carrots

https://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/zucchini-noodle-salad/17717/

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The last post of the month.....

We had griddled cheese sandwiches.

Beth.... You can close this month out if you want.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum